The Empire of Ar- First Impressions

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Re: The Empire of Ar- First Impressions

Postby Sasi » Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 am

serene mistwood wrote:
Sasi wrote:Actually, Serene, I don't see anything which could make you state that some people here, on -this- forum, don't separate this OOC forum from IC RP.... Quotes, maybe?

I never specifically stated that people here, on -this- forum don't seperate OOC forum from IC RP? Guilty conscience pricking you Sasi? ( Although that doesn't of course mean I don't believe that, because I do, obviously )

I was responding to Tamar's old post on the thread revived.

Tamar Luminos wrote:
Owner's apparently nursed a grudge against me for my posts on a previous thread about his previous incarnation of Ar and reminded me tonight by linking me to the offending thread:

http://www.goreanforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8425&start=140 if anyone's curious.

I didn't think I said anything particularly offensive, and had pretty much forgotten about it but apparently he had not. Not sure why he had to tap dance around the issue instead of just IM'ing me to tell me my app was denied or even putting me on a ban list, but oh wells. Told me I could roleplay there but that I couldn't join the group.

What Tamar (or anyone) states on an OOC discussion forum here (or anywhere else) should not be used against them in an application to join a sim or OOC group inworld, at least not by mature, balanced, mentally stable adults able to seperate IC from OOC in general.

Next time you react to a post written a few months ago, Serene, quote it. And there is no reason for my conscience to prick me.

Second, this issue had nothing to do with the ability of someone not to mix IC and OOC since the action of filling an application is an OOC action, anyway. Tamar's character didn't suffer any IC consequence for her OOC comments on an OOC forum.
It was about personal feelings from the sim owner who decided he didn't want Tamar as a sim member (although he accepted she RPed in his sim), part of the OOC group. But I saw this sim owner mixing IC and OOC, I saw him directing the role play for it suits his OOC purposes, I saw him rping a non sense character who allowed him to keep control over the RP. So, definitely not someone able of separating IC and OOC, not someone, (I quote your own comments)"that shout loudest about IC/OOC separation".
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue May 03, 2016 2:26 am

Wait what?

Serene wrote: What Tamar (or anyone) states on an OOC discussion forum here (or anywhere else) should not be used against them in an application to join a sim or OOC group inworld, at least not by mature, balanced, mentally stable adults able to seperate IC from OOC in general.

Mixing OOC on a forum with OOC in Second Life is immature, unbalanced and mentally sick? And has anything to do with people bluring IC and OOC?

Haaaang on we are letting this aversion against blurring of OOC and IC spread a tad bit too wide for me now.

OOC mixing with OOC is NOT mixing. Out of Character IS OOC here and inwold too. As long as people don't clearly roleplay in their posts on a forum i am going to assume they post out of character. Having followed a poster for a while i'd say its pretty mature and balanced to have formed an opinion on that person. I'd say judging a person on a collection of forum posts is a whole lot better founded than judging a person on whether they wear mesh tip toes or flexi hair inworld.

Should i find someone being a total ass here i might consider NOT roleplaying with them in Second Life. And if i were a sim owner and truly disliked a person from forum posts why not take action inworld to make sure i won't encounter that person? I'd assume that person would roughly be the same inworld when they are out of character as they are on a forum when they are out of character.

Actually i personally still might give a second chance when encountering an ass from the forums in Second Life - just to see what happens. I am strange that way. But i get that some would rather not. And i can't see how thats immature, unstable and mentally sick at all. Please explain.

Tamars case seemed silly - i grant you that. But generalizing using strong words as you did Serene seems completely out of whack and makes me question whom of us misunderstood the concept of blurring IC and OOC.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Tue May 03, 2016 5:54 am

*sigh*

To me its actually quite simple. I know plenty of people who are an ass/bitch/argumentative on forums and maybe in RL too . However, once in IC RP they are IC... they are playing a character. I certainly wouldn't hold anything they said OOC/RL on a different OOC forum against them in world in RP nor in that sims OOC group. And yeah, I find it stupid. :thumbup:
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Tue May 03, 2016 6:13 am

serene mistwood wrote:*sigh*

To me its actually quite simple. I know plenty of people who are an ass/bitch/argumentative on forums and maybe in RL too . However, once in IC RP they are IC... they are playing a character. I certainly wouldn't hold anything they said OOC/RL on a different OOC forum against them in world in RP nor in that sims OOC group. And yeah, I find it stupid. :thumbup:

I would if the subjects they spoke about on the forum gave insight on how they approach roleplay, on how they treat other roleplayers OOCly, on how they approach the genre, or on what they are or aren't willing to roleplay and wether or not that was based on certain reasons.

And if any of those are insights that make me feel like the person would be irritating or pointless to attempt roleplay with, then it's obvious I would avoid them in roleplay.

--

It was only a few nights ago that I witnessed someone godmodding an entire group of people with narrative lies / narrative insulting opinions and shortly after getting into an argument with sim admins about their completely unsuitable avatar-dress for the genre, while said person had already shown their subpar views and approach to roleplay several times on this forum.

My prejudiced choice to avoid said person in roleplay was not disappointed. I had not expected anything less from that person. (I know this sentence sounds pompous. I should've brought my tophat, teacup and monocle).

Now, if it's disagreements about anything not related to roleplay (politics, religion, intellectual property, etc.) I wouldn't hold it against them or avoid roleplaying them, but if it's strong grating disagreements on the genre or theme of the roleplay and their absurd or selfish views on RP etiquette, then they're shit out of luck until they've shown they've changed. (And some people do change over the years, although that seems to be a rarity, just look at the 90% of SL Goreans who are still dressed like it's 2009).
Manon Seid

Postby Manon Seid » Tue May 03, 2016 9:58 am

:yeahthat:
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Tue May 03, 2016 3:58 pm

What Manon and Anarch said, definitely.
Manon Seid

Postby Manon Seid » Tue May 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Serene wrote: I certainly wouldn't hold anything they said OOC/RL on a different OOC forum against them in world in RP nor in that sims OOC group.

Just for the record i agree that bringing OOC grudges into IC roleplay IS bad form. That's however not what i protested against.

But bringing OOC from a forum to OOC Second Life seems kinda natural. if i don't like a person OOC here - why would that be different if i were logged into Second Life and encountered that same person OOC?

I am not saying i would bring drama from one platform to another but i might steer clear of someone i KNOW i wont mesh well with. Why set myself up for trouble when i can be on my merry way and interact with others? I'd be doing both myself and the person in question a favor saving us both a lot of anguish and wasted time. It still seems a pretty sane and smart decision to me.

And i won't be political correct and rule out the "politics, religion, intellectual property, etc." reasons that might make me avoid a person. When it comes down to it, it's personalities clashing or clicking, whatever the reason might be. Human nature i suppose. I am in Second Life to entertain myself. Why would i spend time with someone i don't like?

OOC-> IC is bad roleplay form, agreed.
OOC -> OOC ...thats just normal human interaction, nothing wrong with that as long as it's handled in a calm adult way. Choosing to NOT deal with someone is sometimes the calm adult way.

Return to “Cities/Sims”