Tax Returns - Unimportant In Vetting Process?

Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Tax Returns - Unimportant In Vetting Process?

Postby Mat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:47 pm

It absolutely should not be required to provide multiple years of tax information. Is the requirement found in the US constitution? no It outlines very specific criteria that is required to be the president and providing tax returns is not one of them.

That being said I also do not have to vote for anyone who does not wish to provide personal information such as tax returns it is a trade off really we as voters have the ability to ask anything we wish of those running and it is up to them to comply or not and likewise up to us to vote for them or not given what they have provided or not provided. However there should not be any hard and fast rule about it.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Dang, Mat is fast with these things. Would have been interesting if he actually said 'yes'. Sadly, both Mat and Kaitlin seem to get a little predictable at this point. You can already tell what they are going to think about a subject just by looking which side in US politics the outcome would favor. It would be commical if it wasn't quite sad.

[quote="Kaitlin"]Should the disclosure of Tax Returns for multiple years be mandatory for elected officials?

No. It isn't publicly available information, and just because someone is applying for a job (even if it is one involving voting) that is no reason to force them to have to release private information.

If the voters feel a candidate isn't forthcoming enough, they can always decide not to vote for him or her.
Drevan
SL Name: Drevan Darkbyrd
Caste: Caste of Scribes
Role: Head of Caste
Home Stone: Vonda
AkA: Drevan

Postby Drevan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:55 pm

What I do not understand is how the same party that says Birth Certificates aren't needed to be on the ballot even though being a natural born citizen is required for the job. Are also the same party that says Tax returns are. why? there is not an income limit on how much a candidate can make BEFORE being president
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Drevan wrote:What I do not understand is how the same party that says Birth Certificates aren't needed to be on the ballot even though being a natural born citizen is required for the job. Are also the same party that says Tax returns are. why? there is not an income limit on how much a candidate can make BEFORE being president

It is because he is from the other side. Then it doesn't apply. That is a constant theme. When Bush used executive priviledge, democrats cried murder, and republicans didn't mind. When Obama does the same thing, the republicans cry tyranny. When the healthcare bill proved hard to get past the filibuster hurdle, democrats wanted to talk about getting rid of it, argued it wasn't really what the founding fathers had in mind (which it wasn't, clearly), but now they are banking on it keeping the R's from killing Obamacare.

That is the trouble with a polarized, partisan country: the fight between the Greens and the Yellows takes precedence over all other considerations, like good government, fighting corruption, sound economic policy, morality, honesty and truth. And in a two party system, people who don't want that have no way of doing anything about it with their vote.
Drevan

Postby Drevan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Well if its a fight between the greens and the yellows we must pull out the new team of steels as in Assassins
Drevan

Postby Drevan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Kaitlin wrote:I believe they are important for the same reason DOD, military and various defense contract employees are required to go through a stringent security clearance from Confidential to Top Secret. It is imperative to understand financial influence and bias in protecting sensitive national intelligence. I'll even go a step further and state that similar security clearances and vetting should be required for all members of Congress and state executive position holders irregardless of which party they represent.

Ok I can kinda see that except it was Thomas Jefferson that coined the phrase to teh victor go the spoils, Or it was something similar but what I am getting at is ever since George Washington We the people have chosen our friends to get the spoils of our victories that goes for everything from who might get to be the contractor for throwing the inauguration ball any of them to Building a National Landmark to, yes, defense contracts That is neither wrong nor improper what is improper is that these friends use that system asa means to short change the American people
Mat

Postby Mat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:21 pm

I will agree with you on some parts but still do not think that it should be required unless we amend our constitution. I do think that it is odd and a bit sad that someone who commits a felony potentially could loose his voting rights but could still be eligible to be president even if he or she could not vote for themselves.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Mat

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:46 pm

It seems that Nancy Pelosi is now downplaying the tax return issue saying that it is a distraction and there are more important things for congress to worry about. Though she suggest that the media should face some sort of disclosure requirements.
Mat

Postby Mat » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:It seems that Nancy Pelosi is now downplaying the tax return issue saying that it is a distraction and there are more important things for congress to worry about. Though she suggest that the media should face some sort of disclosure requirements.

I just love selective quoting. What she clearly stated was that tax returns were trivial in comparison to the economy to the audience of reporters. Who would disagree with that? She also stated if she ran for president she would release her tax returns.

naa not selective quoting she still thinks that he should release them but out of custom and tradition. And I actually agree with you and her that they should be released however I also agree with her that it is not something for congress to waste their time with in attempting to require it in any way.
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 am

Surely if their tax return shows anything bad that just means that they aren't even competent enough to hire a good tax accountant?

Return to “News”