Elder Scrolls 6: MMO

Discover your Elder Scrolls.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Elder Scrolls 6: MMO

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:43 pm

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ZeniMax-Bet ... 14481.html

Interesting, no? I doubt it's gonna be released before 2015 though. :P Probably gonna be more popular than the temporary SW:TORtanic hype of last winter. ;)
Glaucon

Re: Elder Scrolls 6: MMO

Postby Glaucon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Hmmm... that MIGHT be interesting, but... well...

Frankly, I am waiting for an MMO that does things 'differently', for real, for once, rather than make just another WoW clone with better graphics or better story, etc. I cannot judge TOR, as I never played it, but... it seemed to be same-old, to me.

At the moment, I am more hopeful about some smaller/indy company finally coming up with something quite different than one of the large game producers, since they always seem to go for the tried formulae. (Which does make sense, given the high investment and potential high return. Even IF what they make is nothing but a good WoW clone. They want to be 'sure' about return on investment.)
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 am

Glaucon wrote:Hmmm... that MIGHT be interesting, but... well...

Frankly, I am waiting for an MMO that does things 'differently', for real, for once, rather than make just another WoW clone with better graphics or better story, etc. I cannot judge TOR, as I never played it, but... it seemed to be same-old, to me.

At the moment, I am more hopeful about some smaller/indy company finally coming up with something quite different than one of the large game producers, since they always seem to go for the tried formulae. (Which does make sense, given the high investment and potential high return. Even IF what they make is nothing but a good WoW clone. They want to be 'sure' about return on investment.)

That's cause SWTOR is just that. Same old with a few new impulses that worked in some cases, hopelessly failed in others.

Elder Scrolls MMO? I don't know. Recently I feel that every IP has to force a MMO out because their share holders get hard at the napkin math of what a cash cow World of Warcraft is for Activision/Blizzard. It's entirely out of Bethesda comfort zone if you ask me and if I think how balanced each of the paths in Skyrim were compared to each other - it'd be a nightmare in a multiplayer environment.

And Glaucon, if you want innovation - I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at Chron's thread about Guild Wars 2 - because that's the main reason I am pretty excited for it, they don't pull another Aion/Rift/SWTOR but they actually HAVE ideas and they want to be innovative and so far, it looks like ArenaNet does it pretty damn good. ;)
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 am

If they take some of the features from their single player games into an MMO it could be good.

Although "Dark and Light" springs instantly to mind...
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Victor. wrote:That's cause SWTOR is just that. Same old with a few new impulses that worked in some cases, hopelessly failed in others.

Yep. Not that I ever played it, but... that was the vibe I got.

Elder Scrolls MMO? I don't know. Recently I feel that every IP has to force a MMO out because their share holders get hard at the napkin math of what a cash cow World of Warcraft is for Activision/Blizzard. It's entirely out of Bethesda comfort zone if you ask me and if I think how balanced each of the paths in Skyrim were compared to each other - it'd be a nightmare in a multiplayer environment.

I would say that the fallout universe would probably make a more interesting MMO. But they are locked into some sort of legal battle over the rights with some corporate assholes that somehow inherited the fallout IP through Interplay (which they had first let go bust, with all the people who created the IP kicked out), but... when Bethesda wanted to buy it, first sold it to them and then, when Bethesda made Fallout big again, started court cases angling for more. Which is a still ongoing battle, I think. Problem is that after the corporate non-game makers got some money through the sale, they got to thinking they could strike WoW gold too, so they bought back the rights to do a fallout MMO (putting together some team that had nothing to do with the original team, out of the blue). But in that battle over rights, Bethesda counter-sued them over this MMO. Which means that... as long as this is being tossed around between the lawyers, Bethesda cannot go with Fallout. But... their investors want the MMO pot of gold too, so... it had to be the Elder Scrolls. Sad. I suspect the developers don't really like the idea either.

And Glaucon, if you want innovation - I'd suggest you take a long, hard look at Chron's thread about Guild Wars 2 - because that's the main reason I am pretty excited for it, they don't pull another Aion/Rift/SWTOR but they actually HAVE ideas and they want to be innovative and so far, it looks like ArenaNet does it pretty damn good. ;)

Oh... yes. Guild Wars was innovative. It was a bit of a WoW clone, in a sense, but... with a different business model (no monthly payments), it looked a lot better than WoW. And little 'grind' (you could easily reach top level in a few days. But the real innovation was in the skill system, the 'paper scissor rock' philosophy behind it, and, as a consequence, in the PvP. According to people I trust on the topic, WoW PvP is just a slugfest, maybe directed by Team Speak/vent. Guild Wars was all about strategy, tactics and skill management.

I am not sure I am really thrilled by the 'look' of 2, though. It's a Korean company, I think. Some of the looks are a bit too 'anime' for my taste. But... might well give that one a go, but... if I do, more for the PvP (bah... would need to get a headset again... that's the downside).
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 am

Glaucon wrote:
Victor. wrote:That's cause SWTOR is just that. Same old with a few new impulses that worked in some cases, hopelessly failed in others.

Yep. Not that I ever played it, but... that was the vibe I got.

I would say that the fallout universe would probably make a more interesting MMO. But they are locked into some sort of legal battle over the rights with some corporate assholes that somehow inherited the fallout IP through Interplay (which they had first let go bust, with all the people who created the IP kicked out), but... when Bethesda wanted to buy it, first sold it to them and then, when Bethesda made Fallout big again, started court cases angling for more. Which is a still ongoing battle, I think. Problem is that after the corporate non-game makers got some money through the sale, they got to thinking they could strike WoW gold too, so they bought back the rights to do a fallout MMO (putting together some team that had nothing to do with the original team, out of the blue). But in that battle over rights, Bethesda counter-sued them over this MMO. Which means that... as long as this is being tossed around between the lawyers, Bethesda cannot go with Fallout. But... their investors want the MMO pot of gold too, so... it had to be the Elder Scrolls. Sad. I suspect the developers don't really like the idea either.

Oh... yes. Guild Wars was innovative. It was a bit of a WoW clone, in a sense, but... with a different business model (no monthly payments), it looked a lot better than WoW. And little 'grind' (you could easily reach top level in a few days. But the real innovation was in the skill system, the 'paper scissor rock' philosophy behind it, and, as a consequence, in the PvP. According to people I trust on the topic, WoW PvP is just a slugfest, maybe directed by Team Speak/vent. Guild Wars was all about strategy, tactics and skill management.

I am not sure I am really thrilled by the 'look' of 2, though. It's a Korean company, I think. Some of the looks are a bit too 'anime' for my taste. But... might well give that one a go, but... if I do, more for the PvP (bah... would need to get a headset again... that's the downside).

I absolutely love the art-style of Guild Wars 2 and it's one of the reasons I'll pre-purchase the collector's edition (Beside the fact that pre-purchasing ANY edition will give you a 100 % chance to be invited for the other beta weekends :heart: ). I am just a sucker for that ink-brush art work.

Nothing Anime about NORNS! :D It's a BIT of a pity that the body-styles you can choose for any race is almost always "a bit bigger a bit smaller" not fat characters sadly :( But otherwise character creation looks absolutely gorgeous and I'll spend daaaaaaaays in it :lol:

And I suppose you mistake NC Soft with ArenaNet. While ArenaNet has a Korean publisher (NC), it's still an all-American company and it won't be designed for a Korean market whatsoever (i.e. no grindfest).

I did play the friends and family alpha of Guild Wars 1 WAY back and I didn't like it AT ALL. It just hadn't really enticed me to play it over WoW but GW 2 sounds pretty awesome and I am almost guaranteed to switch over.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Ah, about the 'looks'. Obviously a matter of taste. I prefer 'semi-realistic' over more comic-bookish. Not that it looks bad, or anything (certainly better than WoW).

As for Korea: the original fallout was played avidly, there. I think the championships were typically between US 'guilds' and korean ones, with some Finnish or Norsk teams as outsiders. So, it must have been geared a little bit towards that market.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:35 am

Well I'm sure this will be innovative, I mean come on backwards flying dragons! Ingenious! :hiding:
Hockey Stick!
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Glaucon wrote:As for Korea: the original fallout was played avidly, there. I think the championships were typically between US 'guilds' and korean ones, with some Finnish or Norsk teams as outsiders. So, it must have been geared a little bit towards that market.

Oops, meant Guild Wars, not fallout.

And backwards flying dragons are the latest in fantasy reptile fashion.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:01 pm

what shit graphics

will not play

:popcorn:

Return to “Skyrim”