Ceri the Urt wrote:I think one of the major issues for those who are new to Gor, BDSM, RP, or even the Internet in general is protecting themselves. Please post tips you can offer to keep those who may not know any better safe.
1. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE ONLINE! You should NEVER feel forced, pressured, or blackmailed into giving out your personal information. This includes the following:
Your real name
Where you live
What you look like (real life pictures)
What you are doing
What you are wearing in real life
Where you work
Where you go to school (As well as what classes you are taking, etc)
Even what sex you actually are
2. Trust with your head, not your heart.
In other words, anyone can get online and wax poetic, the person can be the most wonderful man or woman on the planet, the best slave..best companion, best friend you ever had. They could be a fantastic rper, and amazing writer...but they could also be the opposite sex you think they are, and even if you hear them on skype, they could still be lieing about their entire life. That is the hardest thing about being online...you simply Do Not Know, as much as you want to think you do...you don't.
Short Story: Had a friend in HTML, wonderful girl, had been with her Master for years, talked to him on the phone, was madly in love and arranged to meet him. Against my advice, she sent money ahead for her lodging. When she got there, he forced her to babysit his kids while he went out and spent all of her money on his real girlfriend.
TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! If something just doesn't seem right, if things don't add up, if you have doubts...then go with your gut because you are probably right.
3. If you do decide to meet someone in real life take the following steps.
1. TELL PEOPLE where you are going, and who you are going to be meeting.
2. Arrange to call a friend/family member around a certain time each night to make sure you are alright.
3. Arrange a safe word to give the friend/family member on the phone if something has gone wrong and you can't outright tell them so they can call for help.
4. Stay in a Hotel and do NOT tell the person you are going to meet what hotel, just in case things go wrong. NEVER stay with the person.
5. NEVER send money ahead. If they ask for money to set you up...tell them you have taken care of it.
6. Meet the person in a place with a lot of other people. A mall, a restaurant, etc. Don't meet the person at their home, don't go home with them. Even if it goes well, if they truly care about you, they will understand your need to protect yourself and be patient enough to wait for you to be ready.
1. EVERYONE has equal rights ooc. Even if you are a slave. You do not have to take ooc abuse EVER. IF someone is trying to guilt you, harass you, stalk you, you do NOT have to take it.
2. If a scene is making you really uncomfortable then IM the person/people involved and tell them your issue and ask for a compromise of some sort. Be polite when you do it, and if the person is an ass in return then feel free to tp out.
(Please feel free to add to this list!)
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests