John Norman to be at WorldCon

For the Discussion of the Gorean Lifestyle.
Morgus
SL Name: Morgus resident
Caste: Scribe - www.tcjn.info
Role: Bibliographer - gorbooks.com
Home Stone: Port Kar - www.portkar.com
AkA: Jon Ard

John Norman to be at WorldCon

Postby Morgus » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Tal, and greetings ... word is out that John Norman and his wife will be at WorldCon in London from August 14-18 this year ... considering his ban from previous conventions due to feminist political correctness protesting his presence, fan support would be appreciated ... many from Great Britain participate in SL and many online Gorean forums ... maybe someone there could coördinate a fans support group to show appreciation for what he has given us ... I'm certain he would be honored by such ...
"There are no mere points of honor." (24:63)
Mehrunes Unsworth
SL Name: Mehrunes Unsworth

Re: John Norman to be at WorldCon

Postby Mehrunes Unsworth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:26 am

I bet he gets a warm reception with a really nasty feminist resistance. I'd go for the circus if I was anywhere near that part of the world.

It is the first convention he's attended since the blacklisting. The dude is a prophet of anti-feminism, but he likely has a lot more support now. I'm really curious what will happen.
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Last I heard JN isn't fond of the sl community for stealing his work in those note cards.
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:35 pm

I think Prof. Lange cares very much about his fans, even the ones in SL Gor. At the same time I think he would prefer that instead of stealing his intellectual property they would create their own stories and ideas.

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he didn't care for SL Gor at large. How much money have the merchants in SL Gor made off of his works and given nothing back? Clothing, weapons, furniture, tarns, houses, entire buildings, the list is as long as your arm.

If I was in his shoes I would not want people illegally making money off of my hard work either.
Morgus
SL Name: Morgus resident
Caste: Scribe - www.tcjn.info
Role: Bibliographer - gorbooks.com
Home Stone: Port Kar - www.portkar.com
AkA: Jon Ard

Postby Morgus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:48 pm

I've asked the question about why he doesn't do anything about people stealing his intellectual property, and the answer is always he doesn't want to get involved and thinks it's not worth the legal entanglements ... look at the guy who copyrighted the Kaissa game - he took the pieces, board, and moves and copyrighted it under his own name, effectively shutting "John Norman" out of his own game ... so even though Mr Norman has a game with everything thought out he cannot even use the name Kaissa if he wanted to market it ... to me, this would definitely be worth the fight, and many think the same, but Mr Norman won't pursue any legal action ... the same with SL Gor - he knows people there are stealing his books, sending illegal digital copies freely to any who ask, but he also doesn't want to distance any fan base ... maybe after his passing his estate will do what Herbert's estate has done to SL Dune and will fight to keep the intellectual theft from continuing ...
"There are no mere points of honor." (24:63)
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Well considering most sims these days dont do the NC thing because of how poorly written they are, It would be a poor choice for him to do that. it would only serve to destroy his SL fan base that are now starting to buy the books. I used to do Notecards, i admit, but then the ereads came out and i tossed my notecards away and picked up the actual books and baught them. So the only thing crusading against SL gor would do is destroy a large fanbase he has.
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Ghost
SL Name: Ghost of a chance
Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 am

Not quite sure where the idea that legal action is not taken against the copyright thefts comes from, but a large number of sites spreading illegal versions were closed. When it comes to SL infringement Linden labs were spectacularly uncooperative with EReads copyright agent. While it is not simple to stamp out the note card versions it was certainly something that was pursued. Had it not been for almost tireless campaigning against copy right infringement, Kur and the books that followed would not have been published.

Nor is it accurate to think that Prof Lange has not attended any conventions since the wave of anti-feminist attacks on his works. Morgus, I am surprised that you intimate such a thing, given Lemuel's Q&A with him. While there was a relatively recent mini-campaign that resulted in the Darkhorse compendium being withdrawn not much has stood in the way since.
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)
Tarl Cabot
SL Name: Total Crab
Caste: Brachyura
Role: Scurvy Dawg
Home Stone: Bikini Bottom
Owner: Mr Krabs

Postby Tarl Cabot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Morgus bares a striking semblance to Mr Norman and you've never seen the pair of them in the same room.....

Just sayin'.
"I drip sarcasm like you drip stupid".
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Hmmmmmm...
Tarl Cabot
SL Name: Total Crab
Caste: Brachyura
Role: Scurvy Dawg
Home Stone: Bikini Bottom
Owner: Mr Krabs

Postby Tarl Cabot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Architeuthis wrote:Image

Hmmmmmm...

The tank top is a distraction tactic. Same guy I tell you. Same damn guy!

Morgus - We love you!!! Sorry the note cards are better than the books too!
"I drip sarcasm like you drip stupid".

Return to “General”