BDSM & D/s Gaining More Acceptance?

For the Discussion of the Gorean Lifestyle.

Will BDSM and/or D/s ever be accepted as mainstream?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
23%
No
23%
Other
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 30
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

BDSM & D/s Gaining More Acceptance?

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 am

It is pretty clear with the success of the Fifty Shades series of books there is new interest in the world of BDSM & D/s but how far reaching?

Here is an article that surprised me a bit:

Indians begin to talk about S&M
In an apartment in a middle-class neighbourhood in the Indian capital, Delhi, a group of men and women have met to talk openly about their love for BDSM activities.

Talking about bondage, discipline, domination, submission, sadism and masochism is an absolute taboo in India, a country well known for its conservative attitudes to sex.

But here, the conversation is candid.

The participants are members of the The Kinky Collective, a small group of heterosexual and transgender people, trying to connect to other Indians active and open about their BDSM preferences on various online communities and social networking websites.

Is BDSM & D/s losing its stigma?

Will it ever be accepted as mainstream?

For those living the life do you see a future where it won't be something kept as private?
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Re: BDSM & D/s Gaining More Acceptance?

Postby Theoden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 am

That's interesting, I had thought about making a similar thread about this very same topic! Though it was spurred off by an article I read about Harvard now having a BDSM themed student org. Combine that with the 50 shades phenomenon...

So my answer to the OP is.. yes

Though I kind of worry that if BDSM turns mainstream... what would then be considered kink? I hope it wouldn't be too perverse :ohgawd: :lol:
Olaf
SL Name: Olaf

Postby Olaf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 am

That depends on which parts. Some of it has become more accepted, like the sort of thing you see in Fifty Shades of Ghey, or The Secretary. Being dressed up as a latex dog and ridden around by a midget dressed like an elf while being pegged by your t-girl friend? Not so much, and I don't think those "extremes" will ever be accepted by the mainstream crowd.

I'm glad I live in a fairly open-minded society, and that my proclivities are tame enough that I don't have to hide them.
Last edited by Olaf on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

It's great that it seems to get more and more acceptable to talk about people having different preferences in their sex lifes, but I sure as hell hope it won't ever become something that's NOT kept private.

Prudish? I don't think so. I just have very little interest in knowing that and that employee likes to be shat in the mouth by his wife or whatever else.

It should be up to the individual WHAT he likes to do, how he likes to do it - but I'd still prefer not to see leashed women running around, despite finding it sexy probably - it's not something that belongs on the street for everyday life.

So: Talk about it, practice it - but don't rub it in my face, cause I most likely don't give a shit and in the worst case, it would affect my impression of you as an employee, employer, co-worker, insurance agent, etc. etc. in a way that's harmful to our relationship.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 am

Theoden wrote:That's interesting, I had thought about making a similar thread about this very same topic! Though it was spurred off by an article I read about Harvard now having a BDSM themed student org. Combine that with the 50 shades phenomenon...

So my answer to the OP is.. yes

Though I kind of worry that if BDSM turns mainstream... what would then be considered kink? I hope it wouldn't be too perverse :ohgawd: :lol:

Do you happen to have the link?

@OP
I'd have to say yes as well. During my Christmas shopping I saw lots of depleted stacks of the books by James. It made me laugh. One of my book clubs has finally moved on from Zane to her novels and it has been funny as hell listening to the discussion. I rarely contribute. :innocent:

Once upon a time... Kait
Ala
SL Name: Ala
Caste: Puddin' Pop!
Role: Bondchuk
Home Stone: His feet
Owner: da Jarl dude

Postby Ala » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Kaitlin wrote:@OP
I'd have to say yes as well. During my Christmas shopping I saw lots of depleted stacks of the books by James. It made me laugh. One of my book clubs has finally moved on from Zane to her novels and it has been funny as hell listening to the discussion. I rarely contribute. :innocent:

Hahaha - I read them about 5 or 6 months ago, the media hype in NZ hadn't started, in fact I ordered my over the internet cos they were not in the book shops, or if they were, not prominantly displayed as they are now.

My Sister-in-law borrowed them and then she handed them on to my Mother!!!!! I said, "Well just don't tell her they are mine!" she responded with "I wrote your name in them so you would get them back" (a habit our family has of scribbling name in the inside cover of books). :shock: :o :lol:

@ the OP - I think people have always had kinks (and believe me I live in a country where the Victorian era of prudish reigns supreme only they forgot to bring the dirty underside of Victorian life). Certainly the 50 shades series has got the 'nilla circles talking more, but like Victor, I prefer the "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy - No one knows (or needs to know) just what goes on behind closed doors.
Capture the mind ~ all else will follow.

I am not a bitch ~ I just have a low tolerance for bullshit
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:11 pm

My inner grammar nazi won't let me answer this question, because it's asking me about D/s twice. :lol:

Maybe if it said "or" instead of "and." :D
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Leah wrote:My inner grammar nazi won't let me answer this question, because it's asking me about D/s twice. :lol:

I happen to be a dabbler in both. :lol:
The OP shows my continued disagreement that they are one and the same.

Once upon a time... Kait
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Leah wrote:My inner grammar nazi won't let me answer this question, because it's asking me about D/s twice. :lol:

I happen to be a dabbler in both. :lol:
The OP shows my continued disagreement that they are one and the same.

I remember!

Should totally have a boffer tournament to determine who is right. :lol:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Allison Baker
SL Name: allisonbaker
Caste: Poets & Musicians
Role: Free Woman
Home Stone: Verr Fjord

Postby Allison Baker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 am

I'm with Ala, we have the same mentality here. I only have to look at my friends and family to know that it wont really gain full acceptance. Some people simply don't want to think about it and will never accept it.

My Master has me do things that border on outing me as a slave sometimes, I have to be very careful. Once its out that you are into M/s its going to be the first thing most people think when they see you or hear your name.

I think that in time it will gain acceptance as a behind closed doors activity. There is also the thrill of illicit and probably illegal outdoor activities.

I quite enjoy the status quo in this respect, I see no reason to advertise, and in some areas being known as a slave could be a serious disadvantage. Too many people mistake female slavery with being an easy touch.

I wont comment on BDSM, we do the BD but tend to shy away from SM.
RL Slave, doubt you'd survive

There were still things she had to do before the sweet tide of insanity ebbed

Return to “General”