How has Gorean RP affected you?

For the Discussion of the Gorean Lifestyle.

How has Gorean RP affected you?

I would never consider an M/s or D/s relationship. It's just RP
10%
I would never consider an M/s or D/s relationship. It's just RP
10%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL
3%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL
3%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL & RL
4%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL & RL
4%
I am involved in an OOC M/s or D/s relationship as a result of RP
9%
I am involved in an OOC M/s or D/s relationship as a result of RP
9%
I am involved or have been involved in a RL M/s or D/s relationship (Dominant or Submissive RL) as a result of RP
5%
I am involved or have been involved in a RL M/s or D/s relationship (Dominant or Submissive RL) as a result of RP
5%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) and SL Compliments
3%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) and SL Compliments
3%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) but SL is kept strictly separate
7%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) but SL is kept strictly separate
7%
Other - Please Explain
9%
Other - Please Explain
9%

Total votes: 100
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Re: How has Gorean RP affected you?

Postby Mynerva » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Leah wrote:
Oh lord, if we start talking about this, we may reignite the "fearsome debate" about whether D/s falls under the umbrella of BDSM. >.>

:hiding: :fleeflee: :roflmao:

BDSM

I rest my case :innocent:
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Mynerva wrote:BDSM

I rest my case :innocent:

No...No...DON'T DO IT!!!

:fleeflee: :fleeflee: :fleeflee:

Yeah, I know...I agree! But yeah... :hiding:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:05 am

So you follow the abbreviation that tells

BDSM = Bondage Dominance Submission Masochism

yet there are other meanings flowing about web and Society as well, e.g.

BDSM = BonDage Saddism Masochism

so, someone following that translation can validly say BDSM is not related to D/s or M/s, no?
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 am

Violetta Daviau wrote:
Mynerva wrote:
so, someone following that translation can validly say BDSM is not related to D/s or M/s, no?

They can say it if they want to look like idiots.

D/s is part of bdsm - and does not have to include the receiving or inflicting of pain for pleasure.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Leah

Postby Leah » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:24 am

Mynerva wrote:
Violetta Daviau wrote:
Mynerva wrote:

They can say it if they want to look like idiots.

D/s is part of bdsm - and does not have to include the receiving or inflicting of pain for pleasure.

Pretty much...

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

Leah

Postby Leah » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:24 am

Violetta Daviau wrote:

So you follow the abbreviation that tells

BDSM = Bondage Dominance Submission Masochism

yet there are other meanings flowing about web and Society as well, e.g.

BDSM = BonDage Saddism Masochism

The abbreviation, as I was taught, is actually:

Bondage/Discipline, Domination/submission, Sadism/Masochism.

It's an umbrella term. Even the Wiki entry mentions D/s. I've actually never seen the definition you're talking about.

Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 am

"BDSM = Bondage Sado-Masochism"

Is a wrong defintion which is pretty prevalent. I think if you'll ask a random person what BDSM means you'll have more chance he or she'll answer with 'bondage sado-masochism' than anything. Most people aren't really informed or care to inform themselves about these subjects.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Most people aren't really informed or care to inform themselves about these subjects.

True. I am a perfect example. I just think of it all as stuff with crops and clamps and kneeling and shit. :thumbup:

Postby ... » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 am

Glaucon wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:Most people aren't really informed or care to inform themselves about these subjects.

True. I am a perfect example. I just think of it all as stuff with crops and clamps and kneeling and shit. :thumbup:

Shit is more at the extreme end though.

Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm leaving. :oops:
Morgus
SL Name: Morgus resident
Caste: Scribe - www.tcjn.info
Role: Bibliographer - gorbooks.com
Home Stone: Port Kar - www.portkar.com
AkA: Jon Ard

Postby Morgus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Code: Select all

Mynerva wrote:

You obviously know very little about bdsm if you reduce it to receiving and inflicting pain for pleasure. Bdsm includes all kinds of life styles and practices - some of them never inflict any kind of pain. It ranges from 24/7 tpe relationships to breaking out the pink fluffy handcuffs on certain occasions.

I assume you are a life-styler, right? Maybe you can explain something to me. What does the following mean....

and

Code: Select all

....if you now agree that consent is always needed in real life?

Why is this difference important if we all agree any kind of m/s exchange requires consent in real life?

I am really interested to know - so please do not feel like I am trying to insult you or questions your life-style.

I take no offense as valid questions should not be considered as such ...

Perhaps I misstated in saying that bdsm is all about pain ... I know it is not, that many bondage situations have nothing to do with pain ... s/m does, however, in my opinion and understanding, translate into sadism and masochism, which do involve the consensual and voluntary receiving and giving of pain, respectively, and from which both parties receive satisfaction ... in the Gor novels, there was no "safe word," no "power exchange," as the kajira, or kajirus, was completely at the mercy of the master ... that would never receive a valid defense here, though ... but, as I have said earlier, the infliction of pain is not the objective from the Gorean view as it is in s/m, rather it is in discipline in learning situations or as a punishment for not being pleasing ... for those in rl Gorean relationships, it is known that John Norman's Gor of the books cannot possibly be practiced here without some serious, and well-deserved, repercussions ...

Yes, real life Gorean and m/s exchange both require consent because of the society in which we live ... only an idiot would think that rl Gorean exchanges could happen here, as I mentioned elsewhere as "Gor with a few grains of salt" ... it is worth noting, however, that I have never seen or heard of a rl Gorean relationship where any physical beating, whipping, etc, has occurred ... in role play, yes - ones gets away with it ... people in rl relationships are aware of its restrictions ...

Be well ...
"There are no mere points of honor." (24:63)

Return to “General”