How has Gorean RP affected you?

For the Discussion of the Gorean Lifestyle.

I would never consider an M/s or D/s relationship. It's just RP
10%
I would never consider an M/s or D/s relationship. It's just RP
10%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL
3%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL
3%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL & RL
4%
I am curious about M/s or D/s relationship beyond IC and plan to explore that curiosity in SL & RL
4%
I am involved in an OOC M/s or D/s relationship as a result of RP
9%
I am involved in an OOC M/s or D/s relationship as a result of RP
9%
I am involved or have been involved in a RL M/s or D/s relationship (Dominant or Submissive RL) as a result of RP
5%
I am involved or have been involved in a RL M/s or D/s relationship (Dominant or Submissive RL) as a result of RP
5%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) and SL Compliments
3%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) and SL Compliments
3%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) but SL is kept strictly separate
7%
I was already living the lifestyle (Dominant or Submissive) but SL is kept strictly separate
7%
Other - Please Explain
9%
Other - Please Explain
9%

Total votes: 100
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 am

Something in a recent thread posted by Elle made me curious. Perhaps because this forum tends to slant heavily toward role-play, there do not seem to be the stories I used to see often of how role-play affected a person RL. There used to be tons of stories of how women became more in touch with a submissive side of themselves and even the ultimate inverse of a passive man discovering he was a suppressed Dominant. For many an OOC relationship offered the only safe/sane/consensual relationship they would allow themselves explore this new dynamic.

Has SL Gor become a place where this can no longer happen? Is there such a stigma associated with this side of Gorean role-play that it's not discussed for fear of being labeled a lifestyler? What's going on? How has your gorean RP affected you?
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Echo
SL Name: Echo Horatio
Caste: Merchant?
Role: Trouble maker
Home Stone: Island of Jahesa

Re: How has Gorean RP affected you?

Postby Echo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:03 am

I do not know about the Domme or sub environment in RL being affected by my exposure to SL gor. Though the gor books led me to that. ;)

I do know that my time in Slgor has brightened my outlook in general and helps me carry myself better during the day.
The only things I have to remember is to not use gorean words when I speak, especially to my boss. :hiding:
"In order to roleplay in SL Gor, you first need to accept that people are not sensible." by Chron
Adam Zadeh
SL Name: Adam Zadeh
Caste: Vinter
Role: Winemaker and Merchant
Home Stone: Port Kar

Postby Adam Zadeh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I'll be interested in seeing the results. I've been involved in one form or another with RL BDSM for the past 20 years. When I first started if you called yourself "Gorean" you were laughed at. :hiding:

Today I'm amazed at how many "Gorean" there are in the lifestyle. I think that IRC (remember that) and programs like SL have helped advanced the understanding of what Gor is. I see lots of nadu in RL now which you never saw in BDSM circles 20 years ago (it's even referred to as nadu! :o ).

So yes, I do think there is a influence. I know it has made me rethink concepts like honor and the role of men in women in modern life...and you women are amazing for what you do in the modern world!
http://goreanwines.blogspot.com/ - A blog about more than Gorean wine.

http://2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/ - My scooter blog!

Vita sine litteris mors ('Life without learning [is] death')
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:13 am

No influence at all, there was nothing in Gor or Gorean rp, to influence me and change how im in my relationships, the values i hold dear and close to my heart etc. Maybe because i came a bit old to Gor, when you are 27 you are already your own man and have settled down on ideoligical/value preferences.

Funny thing is that couple lifestylers, hard core Goreans, good friends, would tell me that "oh, you're Gorean in this, and Gorean in that", which always had been the fastest way to anger me, because their superficial judgment was all too happy to recognize elements they valued and considered Gorean, and somehow that made them proud for me, the epitome of selfishness being happy for someone cause he is like you, while in my understanding they were labelling as Gorean a caricature of attitudes and beliefs that, well, in truth and in the very end and under closer consideration had much more depth and were not Gorean at all.

No idea about being stigmatized cause of being a lifestyler, in my experience it isnt the choice lifestyle that stigmatizes a person but his own character. If you are a retard, lifestyler or not, youll stand out as a retard. Iv known some very intelligent and good persons, lifestylers, who had no problem in their roleplay/sl experiences. They gained respect and they showed respect and they got along fine. Hum, to be fair, i guess i could say that i had come across incidents of discrimination and prejudice against lifestylers in the past, but then again some lifestylers too were walking around pretending they had discovered the most superior meaning in life, Gor, and were looking down on other folks. Not sure what's happening today though, the lifestylers i see in the Gorums seem rather reasonable ppl and i dont think they experience any hostility, at least in the Gorums.
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:46 am

When I began in IRC Gor, yes it was more lifestyle for me. Gorean "slavery" appealed to me in that it was more than just kinky sex. There was accountability, duties, things got done rather than what I saw in the standard BDSM model. When I was in HTML, I met a dear friend of mine who became my trainer in my RL. I would never have met him if it wasnt for Gor, even though he never RPed in Gor. I showed him the positions and mannerisms of a kajira and they actually fit to some degree with the RL BDSM model that he enjoyed.

As I went on in my gorean RP, I seperated more and more from my RL submission and my virtual one. I then came upon the role of a FW. For my character it was a logical transition even though I dont really have a domme bone in my body. But often times I play the role in other to keep other RPers happy. So that others who identify with being submissive and use SL Gor as their submissive outlet can have their fix of accountability.

I figure that Gor gave me so much in my RL, that now I use Gor to be able to help those who want that feeling that I had.

But I dont play a FW because I'm a domme female. I could fall into that role simply because of my experience in D/s. But I dont get the satisfaction that a domme would out of it. For me, I translate it into another form of service.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Jason Susenko
SL Name: Jason Susenko
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Merchant

Postby Jason Susenko » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 am

When I first started Gorean RP, I hadn't the slightest clue about or interest in BDSM or D/s or the Gorean lifestyle. Over the years, I grew to understand it, play around with it, and ultimately figure out that I like all of the above, but don't actively pursue any of them. In my case, being in Gorean RP gave me perspective to understand myself, and ultimately to realize that while I'm dominant by nature, I'm no Gorean and certainly no Gorean lifestyler.

I do, however, portray a warrior of Ar (garb, weapons, armor, and all) in a foam-fighting battle game I play on the weekends.
Jason Susenko
Sarus Rau
Marius Glaz
Username

Postby Username » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:29 am

Pretty much in the same boat as Pelo. I can understand how it can affect some people given that they're exposed to ideas and concepts they'd never considered before, but if you, like myself, have had a classical education and have been exposed to a lot of the philosophical works Norman based his ideas on, well, then experiencing Gor is not really that novel an experience. So, the RP and world itself has not affected me in any meaningful way, other than to suck up a lot of hours into the early mornings, and perhaps to reinforce what I already knew. I am definitely not of a Gorean mindset.

That being said, the people in the metaverse have affected me, ones that I was exposed to through RP activity. Not in this profoundly earthshattering way of sudden self-awareness that I have heard about quite often, mind you, I just find that there are some very intriguing and intelligent people in SL Gor that I never otherwise would have had the chance to speak with. They were able to challenge me on some of the ideas and perspectives I hold that some of the circlejerkers that are in my locale could not. That alone is enough to have made all the time spent on it in the past well worth it. I :heart: disagreement.

As for lifestyler stigma? I don't know, again I have to concur with Pelo. I don't really care much which end of the spectrum you're on, die-hard role player or lifestyler, if you are a moron you're just a moron. Plain and simple.
Conall
SL Name: Conall DeCuir
Role: Torvaldslander

Postby Conall » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 am

It hasn't affected me at all and i am still doing it as i always did. Gorean RP is Gorean RP and when i log off, there is not anything gorean left. My believes about Honor, i had before i came to Gor already.
"You have your Odin and i have mine"
Courier 6
SL Name: Jaxx Ilsker
AkA: Jaxx

Postby Courier 6 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:27 am

Other.

I was a stubborn jackass before I entered SL Gor.

Recent events had me to grow up and mellow down. More so as I've been put to the knife a few times *Melisande I still owe ya words about me being speshul. :)*

I guess SL Gor has refined some of my rogue points?
One does not know, truly what it is to stand, until one has fallen. Once one has fallen, then one knows, you see, what it is to stand. --Beasts of Gor pp340
Legion
SL Name: Magadhi bint Alim al-Salah
AkA: Mags

Postby Legion » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Even before I had ever heard of Gorean RP, I was involved in the BDSM lifestyle off and on since I was 18. I got sick of BDSM after a lot of failures and left it around 22 when I really didn't understand it was something you pick and choose. Roleplay opened up that side of me again and I realize those desires surrounding it - submission are not exactly something you can switch off and on. The desire is always present and Gorean RP has inspired me to explore that RL desire again and meet like-minded people. It also helped me determine exactly what I what in another partner and the values I believe he should/shouldn't not. Roleplay is always like an interactive novel: instead of reading someone else's story, your are creating your story with others
"Man needs as much liberation as woman." - Osho

Return to “General”