Free Woman Courting

Discussions related to Free Women
Adlai
SL Name: adlai.rae

Re: Free Woman Courting

Postby Adlai » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 pm

I say go for it!

Young Gorean maidens would weave garlands of flowers to wear, and adorn victorious men with them. I could also see a woman proving her worth as a companion - bringing certain facts up about herself to demonstrate what a superb addition to his household and mother of his children she would make.

I would imagine that a free woman that saw a man as a good companion would be emphasizing whatever worth she's got (Aside from physical allure and sexual fulfillment) in his eyes to secure her future.

Does she have a brother or father that could invite the man over for dinner while she attends? :popcorn:
"The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy
Eve Cartier
SL Name: Eve Cartier
Caste: Merchant
Role: Stoic Reminder

Postby Eve Cartier » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:
Eve Cartier wrote:If there is one thing we see in Gorean FW over and over, it's that they aren't afraid to speak their minds.

While being ignored and still ending up having to do what the men around them wanted them to do.

Well and would likely end up in collar by the end of the book...

details! details!
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Adlai wrote:
Does she have a brother or father that could invite the man over for dinner while she attends? :popcorn:

No but it is kind of something I thought over as well. A woman wanting to be taken seriously would never meet a stranger alone which I kind of did so credibility might have gone down the drain. However you can't always wait for all the planets to align to make an RP go exactly the way it should because you end up never roleplaying anything.

Another thing I wanted to roleplay time ago was trying to attract the attention of a man by competing with another woman for it (due to time constraints my friend was never able to help me out with this project). You need people very IC mentally stable to play that kind of scenes, I have dropped similar bombs on people I know to be professional rpers before during smaller scenes.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Viggo
SL Name: Saxon Rhiannyr
Caste: Scarlet
Role: Gorean Campus Teacher
Home Stone: Ar

Postby Viggo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:06 pm

A woman decides if she is to become a man's companion, it is not a "claiming" like SL has some to believe. It was a legal contract between two parties, for set goals (rarely for love). Unless she is still under her father (which would be the case BTB, but SL can't always done that way), so the father/male family member can arrange a companionship for payment or political gain.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Anarch about FW though, it is a complete SL onlinism for women to be treated like crap. She would never ever be ignored, free woman were the most respected people in all of Gor. Quote where a Free Woman demanded something of Tarl but he being not gorean said "usually you can demand and get whatever you want because you are a free woman, but I'm not going too". When free women entered the room, every man rose to his feet (except Tarl because he is, again not gorean). But you have sadists,womanizer, and egotistical men that make up 99% of Male population in Gor so it is an abomination for them to get talked down too or show respect to anyone but themselves, seeing how doing that would defeat the whole reason they come play SL Gor lo.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm

I want Eve to finish off that business jargon about the powerpoint....I'm here with a raging hard on and I don't quite have enough to finish.
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 am

From my RL experience in most Gor like countries on Earth, a woman does not court at all. Her family arranges a marriage.
Courting is viewing the things with a western view, where a woman has the right to choose a lover.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:52 am

Aphris wrote:From my RL experience in most Gor like countries on Earth, a woman does not court at all. Her family arranges a marriage.
Courting is viewing the things with a western view, where a woman has the right to choose a lover.

Hmm. While some countries still push arranged (and forced) marriages, I'm not sure I'd go with "most." :)
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:31 pm

In my experience they do everything but present like Mandrills.

Thus the life cycle of the Gorean Woman... from Free to Slave, then Back Again. Usually in time to if there's a guy she wants to fuck on sim.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
JackoS
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Postby JackoS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm

I can´t remember courting of women in the books at all. Actually most of the times when i think companionship, there seems to be more like spur of the moment events (Tarl and Talena in Tarsnman, the warrior and his slave in Assasins, Kamchack and Aphris in Nomads), or arranged things

Now it makes some sense also that love is not in place in a companionship. First of all, it is a civil contract: they get together for 12 months to produce a baby, then it might or might not be renewed (guess it depends on how good the sex and sharing of bed was) but if the mother is sent packing, the baby stays with daddy; she may not even see the baby again (mercenaries describes this in great length).

Second of course, how is somebody suppose to fall in love with a fully covered, fully veiled frigid, outspoken, arrrogant woman, instead of some hot, slutty and naked gorgeous slave? Clearly it seems that what drives a free companionship is either a commercial venture or some "fool" freeing a slave because he thinks she has earned the right to be free and is strong enough to produce good, strong babies to serve the homestone and continue the family lineage.

Incidentally, I think it is witness of gor where one sees what is the consequence of not accepting an offer to companionship by a suitor. In one of the chapters, when the tarnsmen of Treve raid Ar, and are being in pursuit by the patrols of Ar, a single tarnsman from Brundisium sneaks in, and captures a FW. The lady in question rejected his copanionship offer and now of course, she will be his, but serving him as the slave she had become.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Companionship was "spur of the moment," I think, because of the viewpoint of the narrator in each of the books, and because Norman wasn't really interested in the "normal day-to-day lives" of regular Goreans. He was very focused on Warriors and crazy adventures.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Return to “Free Women”