A Game Of Alts - FW/Slave

Discussions related to Free Women

Does allowing free women to have slave alts make them RP their FW characters more correctly?

Alts are the devil
6%
Alts are the devil
6%
Alts can assist people to play their characters more true to that character's specific role
14%
Alts can assist people to play their characters more true to that character's specific role
14%
Free women will still act like whores, no matter how many slave alts they have
4%
Free women will still act like whores, no matter how many slave alts they have
4%
Free women should not have slave alts. They should be able to keep off their knees without excuses.
6%
Free women should not have slave alts. They should be able to keep off their knees without excuses.
6%
I like polls!... but I don't care about this topic.
14%
I like polls!... but I don't care about this topic.
14%
Alts can assist FW to play their specific roles properly but they should be blocked from the same group.
6%
Alts can assist FW to play their specific roles properly but they should be blocked from the same group.
6%

Total votes: 114
Lola Machin
SL Name: Lola Machin
Role: Dorky fanboiness

Re: A Game Of Alts - FW/Slave

Postby Lola Machin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:03 pm

As many have said, you can play as many alts as you want, but do not ever cross alt in the same sim. Even that it starts with good intentions of using the slave alt to serve when there are no slaves, it can quickly degrade to an abuse of characters, not fully developing either.

In my last sim, I had a FW friend that brought her slave alt to serve when there were no others. Seems that she could not deal with the stress of serving the men as FW without risking a collar. Then, she started to use the slave alt more under other pretext. One day, we were RPing as a group when a person that she wants to RP comes online. She quickly said her adieu and logs back as a slave to RP with that person. That was very rude and was my last straw regarding alts.

And for the record, I never used any alts in Gor and just let my storyline develop. And believe me, it was a hoot and super intense, finally experiencing many times what some people call an "Out of Body" experience when I saw my character take a life of her own and do her own talking while I was just looking thru the screen in complete fascination and suspense waiting for her next move. And that experience is something that I would have never experienced if I had not dedicated all my energies to only one character.
Words to live by in the forums by Aashe
    Some people write a huge scientific treatise on the physiological properties of mythical creatures on fake planets and expect a serious, rational discussion to ensue
Cortez
SL Name: Cortez
Role: Sippy Cup
Home Stone: The Borough

Postby Cortez » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Kyss wrote:
Consuelo wrote: I feel, though, that if they're going to be played as near equal entities, they should be in different sims to avoid OOC drama.

I do tend to lean this way. It always feels a bit of a 'cheat' to me having two alts on the same sim/story. I understand why people would want to do it and it's their right, but you would have to have blinders on not to think that it limits rp opportunities for others and encourages cliquish play. There will always be some players who know and some who don't which also puts people at an unfair advantage.

I think that every person is responsible for themselves. I understand people's general reservations about alting. We've been over it before. But I think we've managed to push it so far into the realm of unacceptable that it's become something where people feel they need to hide it. And I think it's the hiding of alts that usually leaves people feeling ill about them. Even here, in the forums, where I openly admit to the different avatars I've played, I still find people respond to that with a negative, cautious view, rather than saying "if more people were open about alts, like you, and didn't treat them as tools of OOC drama, but instead viewed them as different characters who all contribute to a story," those who do alt might be more comfortable talking about it.

Cliquish play is going to exist with or without people playing multiple characters. Because cliques form when the writers become OOC friends and enjoy the experience of writing together. Or when people form groups that judge others based on their Rp style, not their Rp characters.

I have a totally different view on RP that I know most of you are wary about. I view it as a chance to create a story with someone. As I've said before, I view myself as my narrator, not as my characters. I am alting now as a slave and a free woman to play with my current partner who wasn't going to take on a personal slave anyway. How that limits other people, I do not know. I am just as inclusive when out and about in public as a slave, or a free woman. I've never received OOC drama because of my alts, because I've never used them as tools to stir OOC drama. And the only way I can be open about my alts, or at least-- the only thing that drives me to want to be open about them, is if I don't feel like I am being judged for doing so. To know that other people dislike an approach I take that, at my hands, has never hurt anyone-- makes me feel judged from the start, and I'm surprised I continue to speak so openly about something that I know is going to be looked down on.

And to add to that-- leaving a sim to alt, would limit the RP on your sim, I would imagine-- because you are taking your time and writing away from one group of people all together to give to another.

Maybe we should start a thread on how to alt responsibly, rather than dooming it from the start?
"Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations." — Thomas Pynchon
SlaverSlav
SL Name: .

Postby SlaverSlav » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Playing them on different SIMs to avoid drama? How about people growing the fuck up to avoid drama?

Cheesus.
Ama
SL Name: Ama
Role: slave
Home Stone: homeless!

Postby Ama » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:40 pm

I used to think alts are bad...but you know its your time and however you want to spend it is your deal. If every other game in the universe can handle RP with alts why is it so different in Gor?

I've been in smaller RP communities where you were given up to four different characters to play at a time and it wasnt nearly as expansive as SL Gor is and people did there just fine, however there was closer moderation for RP. If you couldnt prove how your alt knew the info... then your alt didnt know! Also you didnt have the ability to run multiple accounts.

Now I'll agree I dont think the average joe can handle RPing in the same place with alts, without the moderation.
My biggest pet peeve is when you have someone playing a slave and the RP goes a way they dislike and then they log into the FW to counter it......

That just makes me not want to play with you.

Then again.... I just got removed from the group I played with in Gor because I had logged into an alt and dressed her up like a fairy and considered doing some rp in a different world....logged back in to being removed and stories flying everywhere. Yet the same group has multiple FW with slave alts in the same place....

So everyone really has their own opinions on the good and the bad and the ugly. I'm at the point where I'm going to do my thing and as long as i'm having fun and your having fun then we're good.
Dream Resistance
SL Name: You may call me...Headmistress
Caste: Slytherin
Role: Faculty
Home Stone: Hogwarts
Owner: Fantasia & *FakE*

Postby Dream Resistance » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm

:yeahthat: to Cortez

I've alted on the same sim to keep all my rp venues in support of that sim. I was open about it if asked, it wasn't like I was hiding. RP partners/groups/cliques will form all on their own, with or without alt use. At the end of the day, there will be people you enjoy rping with consistantly...and everyone else. People you trust to just let go and enjoy the ride with...and everyone else. Doesn't make the others less or something to be avoided. They just aren't in that inner nebula of close friends. Thats like saying because you go to a party with your best friend, you'll be avoiding everyone else at the party.
"Excuse my rudeness, I can't abide useless people."

"I'd rather rp with kids and newb rpers then asshats."

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Auckland%20Island/96/55/37
http://fantasiacostumes.blogspot.com

Postby ... » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:52 pm

/me grins. Hey Bear!

Okay, so I'm one of these women that alts a FW and slave in the same sim. For me, personally, there are no OOC feelings invested in my character, at all. I try to be as clear about this as I can. I always set out that I would love to get along with people OOC, become friends, whatever, but there will never, ever, ever be anything more. Ever. Just to drive that point home, it's ALWAYS a big concern of mine and ALWAYS made clear when I roleplay with someone. So in my opinion, with that made clear in a roleplay genre that is exclusively for adults, the 'feelings' thing shouldn't be a problem. If I get a hint that it is potentially a problem, I will engineer a way to get away, and stay away, from the said person, regardless of which character I'm roleplaying.

OOC communication is key to good, intense roleplay in my opinion. I want to be able to roleplay my characters being head over heels in love with character X IC, or detesting character Y, or insulting character Z(no wait, let's just call her Allison <3)'s dress without OOC drama, in a way that lets us both immerse in the story and run with being creative, rather than getting all stuffy about 'OMG are you insulting me/in love with me/ hate me OOCly?!'. So yeah, my point there, just to make it absolutely clear, is that I don't do OOC, and if something is a potential "ew" point, where one of my characters is gonna get pissed, then I'll drop an IM along the lines of "My character is gonna get real pissy about that. I'm just letting you know there's no OOC Malice". As strongly as I separate IC/OOC, I separate my characters. My slave will NEVER be pissy at the same character my FW is pissy at, unless she has her own IC reasons to be. Same thing goes with anything else. If and when I roleplay with someone I have potential to see on both characters, which for me is quite a lot, I use the 'notes' box in their profile so I don't get muddled up about what interactions have gone before, on which toon.

I am incredibly lucky, in that I roleplay with an amazing bunch of people who 'get' the difference between IC and OOC. Most (if not all) of them know who my two characters are, and that they're both played by me. I've no reason to hide that fact from them, because again, they're very adept at grasping the basic principles of IC/OOC, and I can only assume that they've seen me play both my characters, realised that there is no potential for drama, and simply treated them as different entities (as they should). If someone tried talking to me on one character about something that had happened on the other, they would receive a polite IM to tell them that they needed to address the right character.

That said, I don't use my alts to escape IC drama or punishment on the other. It's rare that such rich opportunities for character building or storyline creation come up, so when they do I'm all over them like glue. My slave character was recently bought by someone in a different time zone, she then got stolen, and is consequently (since her return) being kept chained to her owner's side or bed. which is fine, it's character building. It's storyline. I love it. BUT - I'm not going to sit around staring at the walls of a room and roelplay sleeping, or being chained to a post, by myself. I will certainly roleplay the necessary feelings that surround that during the times that he is on for me to roleplay with him. But when he's offline? I'm on my alt.

I write a lot outside of SL. Character creation and storymaking have become second nature to me, but the thrill of having someone else's imagination and input to feed off of keeps me coming back to RP every day. So as much as I can write a story about (eg) a bored 40-something male cab driver, or a suicidal teenage girl, without crossing their stories over, I can write one about a slave and a free woman, separately, without crossing their stories.

My characters are totally different from each other. They are not involved in each other's storylines even though they're in the same sim, they do not resemble each other in any way, and I am always, if asked, honest about who my alt is. Sometimes even if I'm not asked!

In summation, I would say if you're confident that you can separate IC/OOC AND your both (or more) characters enough that you will not cause any drama, go for it. If there is even the tiniest chance that you will be unable to separate completely, even if that just means the tiniest little one pixel blur of a line, then steer clear because it'll make you a ticking dramabomb.
Gretchen
SL Name: Gretchen Sondergaard
Caste: This, that.
Role: The Silence of the Lambs.
Home Stone: die Wälder

Postby Gretchen » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't consider this my business. People can be fuckheads on one character, much less having another as I have found. I like to try and worry these days, if I must worry, about what happens IC. No drama OOC?

Then it doesn't come up for me, and life rolls on. Go, go, interaction.
“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” Pericles

Postby ... » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Oh! And to answer the actual question *lol* - Yes, I do think playing a slave helps me play my FW better, and vice versa. FW and slaves, unfortunately, tend to avoid each other in RP a lot, or not know how to handle each other. Playing both roles helps me to spot where there is potential for interaction that is passed up, and in what way it is passed up, and try to avoid that when I am on my opposite character to create more long lasting interaction.

As far as how apt I am at playing each role? No. I'm not a better slave because my FW exists, and I'm not a better FW because my slave exists. I think I'm a better Gorean roleplayer since Oor left her GE days behind and submitted though ;)
Cortez
SL Name: Cortez
Role: Sippy Cup
Home Stone: The Borough

Postby Cortez » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Gretchen wrote:I don't consider this my business. People can be fuckheads on one character, much less having another as I have found. I like to try and worry these days, if I must worry, about what happens IC. No drama OOC?

Then it doesn't come up for me, and life rolls on. Go, go, interaction.

Exactly, Imma start another thread so as not to derail this from Horizon's original question anymore.
"Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations." — Thomas Pynchon
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 pm

I used to log both my alts in and have them talk to each other. :) Treat and Settsimaksiman. Maks would make fun of Treat who would get really annoyed.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Return to “Free Women”