Velcro Collars

Discussions related to Free Men

Velcro Collars

Male: It's only roleplay, once it's over... release her.
2%
Male: It's only roleplay, once it's over... release her.
2%
Male: There should be some consideration for the person behind the avatar.
13%
Male: There should be some consideration for the person behind the avatar.
13%
Male: Take responsibility with ownership and make it last beyond your initial fun.
7%
Male: Take responsibility with ownership and make it last beyond your initial fun.
7%
Female: It's only roleplay, once it's over... release her.
4%
Female: It's only roleplay, once it's over... release her.
4%
Female: There should be some consideration for the person behind the avatar.
17%
17%
Female: Take responsibility with ownership and make it last beyond your initial fun.
7%
Female: Take responsibility with ownership and make it last beyond your initial fun.
7%

Total votes: 46
Chron
SL Name: Chron Minotaur

Velcro Collars

Postby Chron » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 am

There's an unowned slave I was about to begin some roleplay with, until she made a comment about not needing a 'velcro collar'. Now in the Gorean mindset, she does not have a choice when she's found to be attractive, she can be fucked in the back of an alleyway, then drowned in a gutter... and that would be a fitting end to a Friday night.

'Velcro collar' has become a byword for a 'slut', directed towards panthers and free women who are jumping loops through collars on a weekly basis. Those same women would consider themselves as victims, forced into a collar and then released at the owner's whim.

So who's at fault here? Should men take more responsibility for the women they collar and extend the roleplay beyond stripping, collaring, branding, raping and releasing her. You claimed her as yours, now keep her, maintain her, have some consideration for her character and the sacrifices she made for you.

Or should women get over their 'story' and accept once they stepped into another man's roleplay, she is there only so long as he wants her. An hour, a night, a week. There is no obligation on him to keep you and inspire you for week, after week, after week.

I see the 'velcro collar' mentality as a hindrance to roleplay, it's saying "Don't interact unless you mean to keep her". Like when the girl I spoke with mentioned the velcro collar, it sent alarm bells ringing at the same volume as when a woman speaks of being claimed, companioned, children and other bywords for marraige which "Do Not" factor into your SL time.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Re: Velcro Collars

Postby Ceri the Urt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:02 am

I think this is very situation dependent. If you really click with a person and the rp flows and is fantastic, then inspiration should go both ways. It should Never be about the man needing to inspire the slave constantly, or vice versa. Your slave should be an rp partner if anything. Someone who can enhance and better your storyline. They are as much of an rper behind the screen as you are and honestly this is a "do to others what you would want done to you" type of deal. No slaves goes into a Master/slave relationship with the "Yay, I get to be used, raped, abused, and tomorrow I get to be thrown away to start all over again!". Would it be realistic in a gorean sense...sure...would it be asshattish in a "we are all rpers looking for a good storyline, not a one night stand" way...yes.

I preferred it when the dude made his intentions clear from the get go. When Snow and Crow caped me in Laura to use me to get information from them...I knew the deal going in. I knew I was being used and was eventually going to be tossed...so I was able to enjoy the rp without any expectations, or delusions of grandure...afterall, if I find a totally awesome rper then I want to hang around them, be a part of their stories. To get a taste and then get kicked to the curb is like being given the best drug on the planet with the possible promise for more...then being told, "sorry you aren't interesting enough to get anymore..."

Think of it this way. You meet a slave girl, she is independent, an amazing rper, everyone wants her, and her pixels are smokin hot. She is to be sold from a slaver house and you want her so you rp with her to get close to her and it is the best rp, intense and passionate, and interesting..then one day she gets sold to another man. When you go to her and tell her "I wanted to collar you...what happened?" wouldn't it just suck if she said "Oh I was just using you to get close to your friend, I never actually wanted you..your not my type".

Again...If this was gor you could do what you want and not give a fuck and slaves would go on, but this is sl roleplay gor, not real gor and I think there should be some respect given to the rpers behind the screen, both from a frees standpoint and a slaves.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
SlaverSlav
SL Name: .

Postby SlaverSlav » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am

I went with "There should be some consideration for the person behind the avatar". I buy and sell them at will, but I also make it clear that I'll do it beforehand. I only buy the ones that I feel I have a good chance of selling, otherwise, I just leave them be. I try not to be a douche if it is not necessary.
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:40 am

I think both sides need to take responsibility for their roles. The men need to look at their cap, collar, brand, rape, release style of RP. If you want to have your jollies with it, fine. Rape away. But rape it free. If you slap a collar around its neck, brand it, etc, then you'd better have some kind of plan with her. I think that this kind of mentality would stop so many "runaways" because people are honestly getting tired of the collar happy folk running around twirling a collar around their finger ready for the next person off of the docks and want to go make it into a gorean slave.

I think a little OOC talk needs to happen before the collar comes out. If the man states his intent that she's not going to be his personal slave and he's going to immediately ship her off to the city kennels to languish in notecarded chores, then I think the player has the right to say "no, this is not the kind of RP I'm looking for" and then offer solutions to the conflict of interest. Or both parties can agree and everyone's happy.

I think that the cap n collar break me types are partially to blame, but I also think that those racing for the collar and branding iron are also to blame
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 am

I did post this in another thread some time ago and its still valid

“There is not any real demand for slaves. So people should not go out shoot wild around and capture and collar things if they not sure they have use for the capture.”
Over and over we hear peoples cry about collared women should be responsible and take responsibility for their actions and if they get a collar that’s the end of their panther life or as a free woman… once a slave always a slave. Blab la bla.

Here you see one of the main reasons why that don’t work. There are way too many peoples in SL Gor that play the collar-brand-us- let-go game and it makes it really hard for those who try be true to their characters if they get ripped out of their role and placed into another just to be deserted in a empty sim after.

Even if I can’t stress the fact enough that we all must try drive the roleplay, slaves or free. It sucks really bad to get your role deleted every time someone want to show off.

So my strong opinion in this is.. Dont collar someone if you don’t have at least some sort of plan what to do with him/her. Gor don’t need another abandon slave.

/Tash
Dont ask ... just do.
Willow
SL Name: Willow Jenipe

Postby Willow » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 am

Chron wrote:So who's at fault here? Should men take more responsibility for the women they collar and extend the roleplay beyond stripping, collaring, branding, raping and releasing her. You claimed her as yours, now keep her, maintain her, have some consideration for her character and the sacrifices she made for you.

OK, I don't like CARP, but at least the woman goes free at the end of it to carry on doing whatever she wants to do. (I'm talking about FW who prefer FW roles here). Keeping her, forcing her to change her role, in other words, however well you do it, is just bound to lead to trouble.

So not exactly great, either way.

Far better than wondering how to treat her after she's been collared, then, is to think twice about whether you ought to collar her at all, and unfortunately there are still plenty of collar-happy people out there.
Conall
SL Name: Conall DeCuir
Role: Torvaldslander

Postby Conall » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 am

I choosed: Male: There should be some consideration for the person behind the avatar.

Thing is only, sometimes there is no other way left as to collar or to slay her or to stop to play gorean rp. In the contrary i would not force any FW which wants to remain a FW (or i find her playing a FW very good .. to good to slap her in a collar) in a collar. Eventually i would do it with someone whom i know very well, to spice things a bit up but ... she could then be sure i am reasonable enough that i wouldnt destroy her role permanently.
"You have your Odin and i have mine"
All Sunday
SL Name: wannabeslave
Home Stone: Kaelus

Postby All Sunday » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 am

When I first read the name topic I thought it was another fashion thread but the main poster Chron... :o.O:

You can't control what the FW will do after release but you can try to have fun during the capture.

Once you have found out the person you collared isn't going to mind fuck you with absurd demands a sort of expectancy IM sounds more than reasonable.
You aren't responsible for anybody, the woman can IM you to tell you she does not want to be capped or she can't stay capped long and viceversa, one that is cleared you guys can rp the inevitable release or death. If this aren't a little cleared out you guys are heading for a dead end session.

It's about being respectful to one another.
Torrid Streeter
Busty McModsalot
SL Name: Torrid
Role: Devil's Advocate

Postby Torrid Streeter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:59 am

I didn't vote because I don't agree with either them completely.

Female: It's only role play, once it's over... release her.

Yes it IS only role play however if the FW initiated a RP which the end result ended up with her behavior getting her a steel collar then so be it. Where are the consequences? If I was a FW and you collared me, YES it's just role play but my character has a continuing story line and if you are just doing it and then going to walk away, why bother?

I ALWAYS think you have to be respectful of the person behind the avatar however what about consideration for me? If I am a male and I did a great collaring role play and the person whines in my IMs that she wishes to be a FW, why did she go and do something that made her get collared. On the other hand if I am a male and just collaring because I can, there is no consideration or thought involved , unless he lets her go at the end.

Yes if thats what you intend to do but there are many things that go into owning a slave IC and OOC much more that JUST taking responsibility for ownership.

Male and Female need to respect the other play and discuss whats happening if it isnt making them happy.Each person has a vested amount of time on here I am sure NOONE wants to be in an unpleasant situation.

Communication is the key.
Ridicule is the first and last argument of fools.
Charles Simmons
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Chron wrote:'Velcro collar' has become a byword for a 'slut', directed towards panthers and free women who are jumping loops through collars on a weekly basis. Those same women would consider themselves as victims, forced into a collar and then released at the owner's whim.

I had no idea that's what Velcro collar meant or how it was being used.
I always used it a different way which makes it hard to vote.

There are as many female characters, FW and panthers yes but also many slaves, that put on a collar for a few days or week, realize there is something or someone better down the road, or simply that slaving isn't working for them and rip it off and continue like it was never there. That's velcro to me and not the men's fault at all.

Return to “Free Men”