SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Aseptimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:38 am

Sabina Takakura wrote:
Chron Minotaur wrote:And where does this all leave the men....? Yeah. What men?
Sim after sim is deserted, you don't see warriors or scribes or slavers.... you'll find some FW milling around and slaves, who's profiles state they're "Para-roleplayers".

Maybe I'm the only one who see's a paragraph of RP posted with an internal response of "Oh fuck".
Or it may be, the hundreds of guys who've dissapeared from SL Gor just wanted to experince something more than RP.

1. lolwut? When did we have hundreds of men? As much as I'd like to be a troll on this one, I'm being serious. In Gor, women have ALWAYS outnumbered men at least 3 to 1.

2. lolwut? Does anyone else remember these wonderful days that everyone reminisces about so longingly? Do you know what it consisted of? FW and slaves sitting on an empty sim while men went off to raid. So really, the only difference is that men apparently don't log in at all, according to the OP.

3. "Experience (note, in the OP it's spelled incorrectly.) something more than RP"
lolwut? What in the name of bleeding jesus are you planning on experiencing? A transcendental epiphany brought on by point and click sexy parts? ALL of it is RP. The whole point of raiding is to extend the storyline. When you raid, you are roleplaying.

:yeahthat: x3 ^ 10000000
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Consuelo
SL Name: Consuelo Albanese
Role: Kajira

Postby Consuelo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:44 am

Has anyone ever noted that whenever there's an disagreement that can NOT be decided one way or another because of differences in role playing preferences, the argument goes on and on and on and... ad nauseum, until both sides collapse from exhaustion, then picks up in another form in another thread?

Really... meter combat, non-meter combat, para posting, non-para posting. Please, give it a rest. You will never win your opponent over to your point of view.
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
Steven Tyler
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Postby Shjade » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:42 am

First, Aseptimus loses all accumulated brownie points for not including my jokes in his summarized version of the thread.

Shame on you, Asep. Shame. On. You.

Second, this:
Sabina Takakura wrote:3. "Experience (note, in the OP it's spelled incorrectly.) something more than RP"
lolwut? What in the name of bleeding jesus are you planning on experiencing? A transcendental epiphany brought on by point and click sexy parts? ALL of it is RP. The whole point of raiding is to extend the storyline. When you raid, you are roleplaying.

Bold added for emphasis. If you're looking for something "more than RP," raiding isn't the road to that goal. Raiding is a part of the game, just like less violent forms of roleplay. "More than RP" raiding is called home invasion and is, as far as I know, illegal in...just about everywhere, so...yeah, good luck with that.
Conversation is more useful than conversion.
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Postby Aseptimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Shjade wrote:Shame on you, Asep. Shame. On. You.

:oops: :erp: :ubershock:
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Sidney
SL Name: Sid

Postby Sidney » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 pm

How about we sum it up like this:

Para RP = Cool for some people
Shorter Post RP = Cool for some

Combat = Cool for some
No Combat = Cool for some

Meter = Cool for some
Non-meter = Cool for Some

Any one of the above people condemning the others = uncool

We all have opinions about the various categories, but really should just just shut up. If you can shit on them, they have every right to shit on you.
Allison
SL Name: Allison Cortes
Caste: Blue
Role: Magistrate in hiding

Postby Allison » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 pm

I've followed this thread from the start so I'll give my opinion first so as not to be accused of not contributing to the topic. I enjoy metered combat very much. I'm a FW who VERY rarely gets captured, that's because I'm the first one to run and hide at the first sign of trouble. What I do enjoy is the rp leading up to the raid, the strategy and fighting during the raid and the awesome rp after the raid. Yes, it does happen, believe it or not. It's the old saying, each to their own. You either like it or you don't. For those of us who like it, we need more men willing to play the role of a red caste. For those of you who continue to knock it and throw out all these wonderful reasons why it sucks, perhaps you should spend some time on a sim who does, or at the very least, tries to do it right. You may just have a different opinion.

As for how this thread has evolved, it's not intelligent debate anymore. It's nothing more than a pissing match to see who can string together the prettiest words adding as much rude sarcasm as they can.

Anyone see a trend here? :ohgawd:
Shjade

Postby Shjade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Some thoughts regarding war as a counterpoint to the idea that lacking combat is somehow feminine. (In spoilers for length.)
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
All warfare is based on deception.

When able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder and crush him. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is superior in strength, evade him.

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. Attack him where he is unprepared. Appear where you are not expected.

There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.

In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. It is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment than to destroy them. Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting. Thus the highest form of generalship is to balk the enemy's plans; the next best is to prevent the junction of the enemy's forces; the next in order is to attack the the enemy's army in the field; and the worst policy of all is to besiege walled cities.

The skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field. With his forcers intact he will dispute the mastery of the Empire and thus, without losing a man, his triumph will be complete. This is the method of attacking by stratagem.

The good fighter is able to secure himself against defeat, but cannot make certain of defeating the enemy.

Standing on the defensive indicates insufficient strength; attacking, a superabundance of strength. The general who is skilled in defense hides in the most secret recesses of the earth; he who is skilled in attack flashes forth from the topmost heights of heaven. Thus on the one hand we have the ability to protect ourselves; on the other, a victory that is complete.

To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence.

You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended. You can ensure the safety of your defense if you only hold positions that cannot be attacked.

There are five dangerous faults which may affect a general: recklessness, which leads to destruction; cowardice, which leads to capture; a hasty temper, which can be provoked by insults; a delicacy of honor which is sensitive to shame; over-solicitude for his men, which exposes him to worry and trouble. These are the five besetting sins of a general, ruinous to the conduct of war.

He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them.

This topic just came to mind while I was reviewing the Art of War. Thought some of the points applied in interesting ways, particularly considering city vs. forest conflicts (that last line especially - men underestimating/mocking women in SL Gor and subsequently ending up acting petulant in the women's cages, anyone?).
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:45 pm

You're reminded of Sun Tzu, I'm reminded of the episode of South Park where the Mongolians are attacking the City Wall, 4 of them running up and hitting it with swords.
Shjade

Postby Shjade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:46 pm

You have it backwards: reading Sun Tzu reminded me of this. Reading this didn't make me think of the Art of War. I was just reviewing it on my own time and it occurred to me how these concepts might apply to metered/unmetered combat or, rather, how they SHOULD apply and often don't because of the lack of logistical concerns in SL war.
Zeus
SL Name: Z
Home Stone: Searching

Postby Zeus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Resolver Bouchard wrote:You're reminded of Sun Tzu, I'm reminded of the episode of South Park where the Mongolians are attacking the City Wall, 4 of them running up and hitting it with swords.
It reminded me of the episode where Kenny dies.

Return to “Free Men”