Feminisation of SL Gor

Discussions related to Free Men

Combat Frequency

Yes, there should be more combat
25
20%
Yes, there should be more combat
25
20%
The present lack of raiding is perfect
26
21%
The present lack of raiding is perfect
26
21%
No opinion
11
9%
No opinion
11
9%
 
Total votes: 124
User avatar
Aseptimus
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 am
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Aseptimus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Blue Conover wrote:would you like me to draw you a diagram and use bigger text?


No, I'd like you to say something sensical.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
User avatar
Festus
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 am
SL Name: Festus

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Festus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 am

How about Suessical?

You guys make my eyes bleed, both of you.
User avatar
Aseptimus
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 am
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Aseptimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:07 am

JohnP wrote:How about Suessical?

You guys make my eyes bleed, both of you.


You do not like the things we said
You do not like the things you read
You do not like the constant stress
Your eyes have bled, and now you dread
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
User avatar
HorizonNinetails
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:47 am

I don't normally agree with Blue...but his point has been made very clearly. At least to me.

Many sims have the meter, force the meter to be used, but then present ridiculous rules so that a meter is completely redundant and adds nothing to the RP.

In many sims, the only use for the meter is when a man draws his mighty scriped whip on a slave so he can hear the sexy (not rlly) meter sounds.

All Blue is saying, and what many have said, is if the sims are going to post long legal documents making combat choked and castrated then they should go meterless. Like I said earlier, dont serve me grade "d" hot dogs when you're selling raw steaks.

I think trying to play dumb like you are Asept is more flaming than anything constructive.
User avatar
Aseptimus
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 am
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Aseptimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:54 am

HorizonNinetails wrote:I think trying to play dumb like you are Asept is more flaming than anything constructive.


Horizon, please tell me how having the meter and not having scripted combat differs to not having the meter and not having any scripted combat. Now, having the meter generally means that some scripted combat is allowed/occurs so suggesting that it should be turned off just because they don't like full on raids or restrict that kind of combat is simply nonsensical.

Essentially you're promoting throwing the baby out with the bath water - throw out all chance for scripted combat, because SOME types of scripted combat are frowned on.

Now you can call this playing dumb on my part, but honestly, to me the entire though process behind that logic is bizarre, the idea itself completely without sense or merit.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
User avatar
HorizonNinetails
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:02 am

Its an RP block. That's why.

The rules are often poorly written and even more poorly understood, even by the people on their own sim.

Example: Man goes into a city, several merchants around wearing bows and swords. He takes a woman from there through metered combat, but no one notices. He RPs out and takes the woman with him. Going off home. Short moments later the FC of the woman has contacted the admin of the sim, and they've concocted some excuse from the rules so that the RP is called invalid.

This has happened, several times...and not just one sim, but on many different sims. People are afraid of RP they can't guide.

What I'm saying is, that if you're going to invalidate every scrap of combat that comes within your sim then wouldnt it be less work to just drop the meter completely? And not just from a sim perspective, but if I go to a city and risk my ass IC to get a scribe for information, or to steal a green away because ours is missing...then I don't want to deal with some dreamed up reason to scrap my last hour or two of effort and planning.

Sim admins, within metered combat, have moved from saying "ok, the RP is wonky...lets make it so it happened like this so it fits within the rules...and creates future RP" to "Yea..it never happened...we don't like the fact that you went and took our FC while I was off fucking a panther...we're in love OOC and I *heart* her very much...how dare you take her away, she was busy sitting alone in her house waiting for someone to come RPer...and you think you can just go and give her what she wants! Shame on you! Shame"

If you made it a meterless sim...you could still have metered combat (Salernum has much the same outside the gates), but don't shove an RP device in my face from the entrance of your sim that can dictate the fate of my character if I fall, give me pages of rules about how impenetrable your city is... but then tell me "oh no...that doesnt count when I manage to jump through your hoops.

But thats a HUGE tangent. The main focus is the lack of men in gor and that a lack of combat likely has a lot of pull on that. Is it bad that some people only show up for combat? Sure. But for every one that shows up you have a higher number of men who are driven to RP in gor again. And thats a good thing...
User avatar
Aseptimus
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 am
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Aseptimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:18 am

HorizonNinetails wrote:Its an RP block. That's why.

The rules are often poorly written and even more poorly understood, even by the people on their own sim.

Example: Man goes into a city, several merchants around wearing bows and swords. He takes a woman from there through metered combat, but no one notices. He RPs out and takes the woman with him. Going off home. Short moments later the FC of the woman has contacted the admin of the sim, and they've concocted some excuse from the rules so that the RP is called invalid.

This has happened, several times...and not just one sim, but on many different sims. People are afraid of RP they can't guide.


The problem then isn't the presence or lack of meters, it's failure of people to embrace role play opportunity. The same objections can be raised in one way or another even without metered combat. Further, if people are willing to do that, do you even want to RP with them to start with?

HorizonNinetails wrote:What I'm saying is, that if you're going to invalidate every scrap of combat that comes within your sim then wouldnt it be less work to just drop the meter completely? And not just from a sim perspective, but if I go to a city and risk my ass IC to get a scribe for information, or to steal a green away because ours is missing...then I don't want to deal with some dreamed up reason to scrap my last hour or two of effort and planning.


No, because the meter still serves a purpose regardless. Personally, I think your complaint is an exaggeration, but I know it does happen and it happens for those who don't even do combat. I've had a lot of RP invalidated, and I've had a lot of RP ruined by indiscriminate raiding and people who see others with meters and weapons as targets to attack without warrant.

HorizonNinetails wrote:Sim admins, within metered combat, have moved from saying "ok, the RP is wonky...lets make it so it happened like this so it fits within the rules...and creates future RP" to "Yea..it never happened...we don't like the fact that you went and took our FC while I was off fucking a panther...we're in love OOC and I *heart* her very much...how dare you take her away, she was busy sitting alone in her house waiting for someone to come RPer...and you think you can just go and give her what she wants! Shame on you! Shame"


And again, this is exaggeration - there are many many excellent SIM owners, admins, and magistrates that are fair and open in their RP. If you play with shit people though you're going to get shit play.

HorizonNinetails wrote:But thats a HUGE tangent. The main focus is the lack of men in gor and that a lack of combat likely has a lot of pull on that. Is it bad that some people only show up for combat? Sure. But for every one that shows up you have a higher number of men who are driven to RP in gor again. And thats a good thing...


You're assuming that there won't be a matching exodus of men who DON'T want pointless combat interrupting their limited RP time.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
User avatar
HorizonNinetails
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 am

"The problem then isn't the presence or lack of meters, it's failure of people to embrace role play opportunity. The same objections can be raised in one way or another even without metered combat. Further, if people are willing to do that, do you even want to RP with them to start with?"

The problem isn't the person who was capped...or the person you're having great RP with. Its the others from the sim who make the call to invalidate. As its been said, not everyone from the same sim has the same ideas about combat. Some people like the excitement the unexpected can bring. Some people signed on for a chicken club and are slowly realizing they're being fed a bullshit sandwich.

"No, because the meter still serves a purpose regardless. Personally, I think your complaint is an exaggeration, but I know it does happen and it happens for those who don't even do combat. I've had a lot of RP invalidated, and I've had a lot of RP ruined by indiscriminate raiding and people who see others with meters and weapons as targets to attack without warrant."

you don't do combat, you've argued till you were blue in the face that combat has no purpose and that its a foolish game. It ruins your RP and gets in the way. Shit...or get off the pot. Say what you mean and stop dribbling around post after post after post saying nothing. If you don't do combat sims...then why are you even posting? You're adding diddly to the conversation.

"And again, this is exaggeration - there are many many excellent SIM owners, admins, and magistrates that are fair and open in their RP. If you play with shit people though you're going to get shit play"

There are many great sim owners, admins...and I'm sure there are many people who can RP a magistrate, but I honestly don't know why an IC role is in this list. I'm sure there are many good lavatory cleaners out there as well...which is a good thing, because there's a lot of bull out there to clean up. An exaggeration? Pick a sim that has metered combat...go there...and see how many men are about. Odds are their RC has been choked out because they have no use...the sim rules defend the city without them.

"You're assuming that there won't be a matching exodus of men who DON'T want pointless combat interrupting their limited RP time."

You assume that all combat is pointless. You also assume that the men who avoid combat haven't already left and gone to meterless sims. There are options. As for an 'exodus' ...a point the OP made was that sims are void of men, so there aren't many men out there left to leave. There are a hell of a lot more to attract.

If you have nothing to do with metered combat, and you've voiced this heavily, then why troll here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMLrA_0O5I *posted b4*

I HATE CARS...EVERYONE SHOULD RIDE UNICORNS..."uh...yea...but this thread is about helping people with their auto repairs"....EVERYONE SHOULD RIDE UNICORNS...THEY'RE ECO FRIENDLY...AND MAKE MAGICAL UNICORN MAYO!!!

...again. Wtf BBQ.
User avatar
Aseptimus
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 am
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Aseptimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:35 am

HorizonNinetails wrote:The problem isn't the person who was capped...or the person you're having great RP with. Its the others from the sim who make the call to invalidate.


Or as I said, not openly embracing role play opportunities.

HorizonNinetails wrote:you don't do combat, you've argued till you were blue in the face that combat has no purpose and that its a foolish game. It ruins your RP and gets in the way. Shit...or get off the pot. Say what you mean and stop dribbling around post after post after post saying nothing. If you don't do combat sims...then why are you even posting? You're adding diddly to the conversation.


I'm presenting the other side of the argument, numbskull. Your raids and combat effect everyone, not just others engaged in it. It affects slaves, FW, non-combat men, et al. Don't they/we get input into how and why we want the SIMs run the way they are? Don't start being an ass like Blue, it's not called for - either debate the merits of the arguments themselves or concede you don't have anything more to add. Making this about me is simply misdirection and drifting into ad hominem. What I do or don't do is not the question here. And I do do combat, when it is appropriate, when it has been thoroughly established through role play, and when the participants are fully geared up to follow it on with more role play. I don't do raids, which is NOT the same thing, regardless of how many time you, Chron, and Blue try to portray it is.

HorizonNinetails wrote:There are many great sim owners, admins...and I'm sure there are many people who can RP a magistrate, but I honestly don't know why an IC role is in this list.


Don't be obtuse. Magistrates are frequently an IC/OOC crossover roll having less power than an admin, but the power to judge and adjudicate on RP matters.

HorizonNinetails wrote:You assume that all combat is pointless.


No, I don't assume anything. My opinion is that raids are almost always pointless and that the nett gain from combat in them is far out-weighed by the nett loss in RP destroyed by them. Again though, this isn't about me, it's about SIMs in general. You are the one saying there is going to be a influx of men wanting to play in Gor if raiding takes off again. I'm simply pointing out that I know that a good number of men are going to leave if it gets out of control as it always inevitably does. I know many of my best RP partners have left Gor over combat fucking with their RP in the past, some have returned now that it is more 'peaceful'.

HorizonNinetails wrote:a point the OP made was that sims are void of men, so there aren't many men out there left to leave.


An unsubstantiated allegation. Just because you say it is so doesn't make it so. Case in point, the post above showing that men outnumbered all others one sampled SIM today.

HorizonNinetails wrote:If you have nothing to do with metered combat, and you've voiced this heavily, then why troll here?


Because it affects me and I have a valid opinion on the matter. Were you just looking for people to agree with you?

HorizonNinetails wrote:...again. Wtf BBQ.


Quite.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
User avatar
HorizonNinetails
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:42 am

No. I was looking for people who have something to add to the conversation.

Sadly the best you can do is quibble about something you don't understand, have never liked because you don't understand it, and will never like because you don't want to understand it.

You can comment as eloquently as you like...you're adding zilch. Nadda. But post...after post...after post of it.

So again...wtf BBQ?

Numbskull? srsly? Thats pants on head ridiculous.

Return to “Free Men”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron