9%

Total votes: 124
Consuelo
SL Name: Consuelo Albanese
Role: Kajira

Re: Feminisation of SL Gor

Postby Consuelo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Zeus wrote:
Resolver Bouchard wrote:You're reminded of Sun Tzu, I'm reminded of the episode of South Park where the Mongolians are attacking the City Wall, 4 of them running up and hitting it with swords.
It reminded me of the episode where Kenny dies.

Which one?
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
Steven Tyler
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Consuelo wrote:
Zeus wrote:
Resolver Bouchard wrote:You're reminded of Sun Tzu, I'm reminded of the episode of South Park where the Mongolians are attacking the City Wall, 4 of them running up and hitting it with swords.
It reminded me of the episode where Kenny dies.

Which one?

I'm guessing the episode where Kenny gets a PSP, becomes the world's best at the Heaven vs Hell game and then is killed so heaven can use him to control their tiny army to defend themselves against Satan's horde. :lol:
Caitlyn
SL Name: Viciously Llewellyn
Role: Slave

Postby Caitlyn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:50 pm

I do see your point Chron, but would respectfully not agree with your conclusion as to why there is not more combat.

Back when I played in Gor, I lived in a metered sim with a lot of combat. Being a slave, I wasn't participating, so during these times I would bring my draw distance out and do things like check weapons to see if they were on the approved list, and watch for people using cheater huds, and other things used to take advantage. My overall conclusion was that there were a lot of people wearing the scarlet of a warrior that thought gaining an unfair advantage was within their code of honor.

This was no different than when I played in air combat sims. People would do anything to win, even to the point of paying manufacturers under the table to make "stock" planes that turned faster, fired faster, etc ...

I feel that some of your points are valid, in that female para-PR'ers are not generally fond of metered combat, but I also think there are a lot of men that have just started to see the banality of it all. I know when I played air combat, I was reasonably addicted, but once you see someone using "the same" plane you are, and it turns faster, climbs faster and fires faster, you start questioning what the point actually is, and asking yourself why you even bother.

So, I think your point is valid, but do question the reasons why things have gone the way they have. I think cheating is far more harmful to what you wish to have as an end result, than anything done by female players.
Thirty Loop Animations
BlueConover
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover

Postby BlueConover » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:20 am

From my experience starting in 2006

Rp and raids were fun, mix affair, guys would go off raiding come back and you ahd rp with the captives that lasted you would roleplay celebrations at your victories etc.

Then GE happened.
It wasn't called GE but it was what happened. and Raids were happenign daily, or hourly instead of occasionally Captives (usually always women) were being captured and collared and you were unable to rescue because of lack of numbers against the hordes.

And so, Rules appeared
3 day capture. 2 day capture.
so that sims stopped losing populations (I remember some groups that force recruited you in this manner until capture limits appeared)

but now for BTB rp, a capture became a joke, nothing with no consequences, this became boring.
as more and more people came into SL Gor more and more Personal Limits appeared.
No Perm Collaring, No rp for xxx Minutes I tp out, No Hair cutting, No Permanent Mutilations.

Gorean things being taken out of rp,
Ultimately from my point of view Gor, the Harshness, Was curtailed. Rules sprang up from reactions to GE
and the constant Raiding that made raiding, rather bland and boring really.
Whats the point of me spending days planning out how to capture that one panther, when I only get her for three days, if i can maintain rp 24/7 without doing any gorean things like cut her hair to my liking, or threatening punishment of cutting it short cause she ids displeasing or tcutting her throat because she isnt obedient.

BTB wanted people, mostly men, to be more pleasant more welcoming. Constantly I was being told in ims by admin / sim owners to not bring as much confict to rp because I was scaring away rpers.
So BTB became happy families and tea parties for me.

Constantly you would see women pushing the limits of being Free Women, (acting with heat showing too much skin yadda yadda)

but because sim owners were afraid of losing free women from their sim completely or rpers cause they dont wanna be slaves.

Rules de-evolved further. Standards of gor became less and less.

Now we have what we have.

I know as a warrior circa 2010 it was boring being a Warrior, I was a glorified greeter who people only wanted around in case their was raids, otherwise please just go sit in the corner till we need you.
Thats how I was treated and it got boring fast, Losing interest in rpering completely.

Now Constantly I hear people saying gor isnt harsh enough anymore.
Women constantly blaming "men for not being men!"

We as men are expected to run around all the sims downing all these women who refuse to play the role of slave or free women correctly, It's all mens fault.

you explain the issues, women refusing to take consequences of their actions, Sim rules protecting against many actions, from fear of losing an rper.

Men grew bored in BTB and moved to GE. Fed up of being overly constricted and pushed constantly not to be so combative / conflict orientated.

-shrugs- is this feminization? no.
Gor evolved as a whole to protect rpers from consequences because many many many of them want to be able to rp in a certain way, if anything goes "wrong" they get to hit a reset button as if nothing happened.
Look at the joke that became submission from most women. you'd make them submit then after three days that was it end of the rp, you had to let them go, or they would "Magically" escape.

Because women enjoy the hunt, the capture.
Not necessarily enjoying being a slave part.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:49 pm

I thought this thread was on the old Gorums.

So, six years later.... who wants to argue that SL Gor hasn't become feminised and maybe, an early warning should have been heeded :twisted:
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm not sure what the "feminization of Gor" means in this context...if it means there's more female players than male, well- pretty sure that's always been the case, even way back when in HTML Gor- the wimmenz outnumbered the menz by a significant margin.

Trends I've seen in SL Gorean RP (take with a grain of salt, I tend to take extended breaks from playing in SL Gor so your milage may have varried from mine):

Meter fighting, pewpew, manthers, panther girls v. warriors in a never ending back and forth of cap/rape/release. Fast paced, fun, chaotic- the focus was on sex and violence in short, brief bursts that had no significance on characters (most didn't bother with characters) or plots. Very little roleplay and what little roleplay there was bore little to no resemblance to the books' descriptions/characters/actions, etc.

By the Book Gor, or BtB started. People started trying to roleplay more like the stuff in the books, with limited results due to misunderstandings, onlinisms, and lack of most people having actually read the books. Female fighters were banned from BtB sims, with a focus more on building a RP "homestone" setting, with an Ubar in every city, heads of caste, an attempt to make avatars that dressed more like descriptions in the book, with varied success (ramen hair, flexi, bling, we didn't have much to work with back then. LOL) Lots of rules, lots of IC/OOC crossover, people became very strict and bossy and unforgiving and were quick to jump in your IM's if they thought you were "doing it wrong". Roleplay occurred, but was very stiff, stuffy, and often dull, as a focus on families, the all important FC'ing/marriage, popping out the prerequisite pair of twins, slaves as waitresses/pets/kids/wives/princesses occurred often. There was quite a bit of "Gorean Lifestyle" stuff lingering around and people acting like masters or slaves OOC in IM's, and often turning things into some sort of an OOC online fantasy D/s (BDSM Domination/submission) experience.

Meanwhile, Gor Evolved, or GE split off- all those female fighters had to go somewhere. GE continued to be what it was initially, with a bit more roleplay, a few groups branching out to try to play characters, camps, a bit more like in the books. Meter fighting was a staple, though- and attracted men more the women, though there was a lot of people playing cross gender. Pirates, bikers, post-apoc, and the occasional furry were seen. Still a focus on cap/rape/pewpew, but now with a little more roleplay in between in some cases.

BtB evolved and though the emphasis was more on roleplay than lifestyle, somehow it got stuffier. Combat roleplay, sexual roleplay was discouraged as it upset the carefully built status quo and nobody wanted anything bad to happen to their city, characters, NPC kids, etc. Alts weren't allowed, playing cross-gender wasn't allowed, and homosexuality wasn't allowed unless it was two hot chics doing it for a dude, generally behind closed doors because sex in public was frowned upon. Prettier builds, prettier avatars, often doing a really good job of bringing to life the descriptions in the books. The influx of the "GBK Warriors" occurred, female typists playing guys, usually easy to spot with their Tableau Vivant skins, femeboi shape, and long, flowing Fabio hair. Most GBK warriors were gay, throwing off what little sexual landscape survived the Puritinization of SL Gor RP. Slave characters were avoided, treated as furniture or waitresses, free woman characters were seen as more desirable than slaves and pursued/chased for the ultimate plot- secret slave. Political intrigue roleplay was promoted over anything else- often closed off to all except a scant handful of elite friends of the sim owner.

It became harder and harder to just jump into a BtB Gorean sim and find roleplay, with people often parking their avatars inside their houses or else inside a significant point, like a palace- while they did their political intrigue roleplay, leaving public places like taverns, baths, parks, streets, markets generally empty, and lone roleplayers out of luck. Many sims started out busy- with "that new sim smell" to them quickly wearing off as a small group of players close themselves off from anyone else and unconnected roleplayers wander off, unable to find an 'in', then the sim dwindles as the 'elite' group plays out their plots, gets bored, and another sim opens, pretty much killing the sim. Sims open and close at a much faster rate due to this factor in many cases, also many sim owners turn out to be unstable, rude, or impossible to work with OOC, treating people and players badly and running off their player base.

As players got wiser about things like roleplay etiquette- some people got pickier about spending lots of their free time in a hobby where people treat others badly OOC and many of us left SL Gor on a break, keeping an eye out for something better to pop up, or for good. Important things like being able to separate the typist on an OOC level from the character on an IC level became a priority, and many sims and players STILL have problems with that, demanding people playing slave characters act like slaves OOC and "show proper respect", take orders, give tours, do extra busy work like notecard chores, etc. and basically clinging to lifestyle tennets while still blithely insisting on calling themselves roleplayers, not lifestylers, and their sims BtB Roleplay sims, instead of Lifestyle sims, contributing to the frustration and confusion of people who are actually seeking a straight roleplay sim without lifestyle interactions.

And that's pretty much where we were when I left. So...don't know about "feminization", but there's a lot of people treating other people badly OOC, taking things way too seriously, not understanding or having much interest in playing out the source material, not aware of or willing to follow basic roleplay ettiquette, rude/unstable owners/staff, focus on political intrigue while quashing sex/combat roleplay, and cliques avoiding playing with new people and public places leaving single players to wander unable to find roleplay. Can't see as how that's got much to do with 'feminization' there, but- again, this is all just my take. YMWV.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 am

Tamar Luminos wrote:
And that's pretty much where we were when I left. So...don't know about "feminization", but there's a lot of people treating other people badly OOC, taking things way too seriously, not understanding or having much interest in playing out the source material, not aware of or willing to follow basic roleplay ettiquette, rude/unstable owners/staff, focus on political intrigue while quashing sex/combat roleplay, and cliques avoiding playing with new people and public places leaving single players to wander unable to find roleplay. Can't see as how that's got much to do with 'feminization' there, but- again, this is all just my take. YMWV.

All I can say is... Yup.. to all of your post. Love your descriptions. :lol:

It's a pity though as I have met some great people in Gor RP, and I miss that community feeling which is quite unlike other RP genres. When it works, it's a lot of fun.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Qingwen wrote:
Tamar Luminos wrote:

All I can say is... Yup.. to all of your post. Love your descriptions. :lol:

It's a pity though as I have met some great people in Gor RP, and I miss that community feeling which is quite unlike other RP genres. When it works, it's a lot of fun.

You're right- the few times I've seen it work, it's pretty amazing. and some of the best roleplayers I've ever met have played in SL Gor. And the setting is really fantastic, the books set up the stage for some incredible roleplay possibilities- it's always baffled me how hard it is to transfer it to SL. But that's why I never really 'give up' on it and keep an eye out for new sims. Hope springs eternal. :D
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Tantus wrote:I thought this thread was on the old Gorums.

So, six years later.... who wants to argue that SL Gor hasn't become feminised and maybe, an early warning should have been heeded :twisted:

When I saw your posts I thought back to exactly this thread. :hiding: :D

I'm not sure the gains in "RP quality" outweigh the loss in male authenticity as the number of men playing in Gor have dwindled down to nothing.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info

Return to “Free Men”