Hey Men!

Discussions related to Free Men
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Cassie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:36 pm

However Tamar there is also a great omission in our part when we dismiss so casually what kind of conversations are going on in OOC chats.

If two people start bickering and oh boy does it happen often enough that I feel the compelling need to tell a friend she better log in to check this shit out, at that point the discussions are usually interrupted in one way by a moderator... usually a woman since those are the prevalent present ones and of course the way you handle the situation ends up in the gor forum here. Some discussions are offensive because they insult someone and it's hard to tell what is right on a case to case basis, sometimes they are revealing out of spite RL information which is an issue needed to be addressed. Yeah I know...what retard goes around sharing eh? :roll:

People should ignore what it is said pressing the X yeah imagine if its your sim, you don't get that luxury. Please take into account this other outlook.

Maybe GE moderation is the best, mod joining in to insult as well till someone gets tired and logs off! :lol:
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:56 am

Maybe it's just a different way in which I behave that differentiates me apart from the other dudes here.

I mean, in RL, if the topic of discussion is sex or dating, then yeah, what I say would differ if its a mixed gender group or if it's a male only group, sure. That's about it.

But in SL I really could care less about what other female avatar players think of me. So I behave and say the exact same things I would in a mixed gender avatar group chat as I would a male only group chat. Even if the topic is about sex or dating.

I don't tone down anything just because there's a female avatar player in the group chat. The entrance of a female in the convo doesn't trigger 'Normal Decent Gentleman mode'. So I suppose that's why it doesn't bother me for women in warrior chats. As long as the opposite is fine as well (dude mod in women's fw chat).
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:05 am

Harlequin you are the best, i love your responses.

the fact that we are even having a discussion about "oh women are in my group, thats bad" is just disgusting and I am not interested in even engaging in that discussion. If you cant stand that a woman is doing something on your sim oocly then you have a genuine issue that you should get checked.

Also Theoden fix your avatar
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:39 am

Tantus wrote:
So long as these girls understand they're entering a male-orientated chatgroup, which won't be toned down for them, and to leave their sensibilities at the door, then it's fine. But it didn't happen that way. For every woman(+Theoden) arguing for female access to male groups in a computer game, none of you have addressed the elephant in this thread.

well, I did actually :P From my (woman) perspective, there is nothing wrong with separate groups if men want them and have fun interacting on them. I also see no reason to assume that men wanting to hang out with other men for a portion of their playtime means they hate women (or that they are gay.. gasp). There's a logical jump there that's eluding me. In short, do what you find fun.
And if you want to talk about cars or motorcycles please please have a separate group.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:21 am

So for the elephant in the room.

Apparently men can't bond if women interfere. I can think that's bullshit all I like. If that is the case in SL Gor then that is the case. But it IS bullshit that men can't bond if women interfere in the warriors groups. There are so many easy ways of making restrictive ways of communicating in SL, Skype, Teamspeak, whatever, that it's ridiculous that men haven't figured out how to use those yet to get around conversation excluding the nasty women they don't want to deal with. Make a group somewhere in or outside of SL and invite only the people you want to talk with. Problem solved.

If this specific problem is responsible for chasing men away from SL Gor then the men of SL Gor sorely lack the skill of problem solving.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:27 am

If you've been paying attention, Manon, you'll remember where I've said women-in-warrior's groups aren't the only factor. It's my opinion that voice-comms are detrimental to a sim's community too.

It makes perfect sense in GE groups where you're constantly raiding and need to be communicating. But on a BTB/RP sim, where the social channels are divided between group chats, sim's teamspeak, private family/friend skyping, etc. It doesn't favour an overall bonding process for men, or women. So sims surge, and sims collapse in a matter of weeks because nothing is holding this fragmented community together.

Tamar Luminos wrote:I'd love to see more male avatars (and please note that I say "male avatars" because let's be honest, there's no way to know the gender of the typist and in roleplay it really shouldn't matter anyway) palling around and doing the tavern crawls and all the hail fellow well met shit and fighting and wenching and drinking- all that guystuff is way cool and I love guys and love seeing them getting to cut loose and be guys (even if they're girls LOL). I love seeing guys being all dominant and testosteroney in roleplay, love seeing aggression, roughness, even cruelty and brutality in Gorean Roleplay. I whole-heartedly encourage less civilized and more savage roleplay in general, because I get bored with civilized pretty damned quick myself.

These are scenes I like seeing actioned too, at one time it was played out often - even in GE groups.

Consider it like this, when you're having girl's night out, it's just you and your girlfriends having fun.
If your partner wanted to join you, you would tell him 'No'. if he insists, you will tell him to stop being weird.

Some call it a "lad's night out" in the UK. Within my closest social group we don't have a term for it, I will receive a message with names and a tentative date and we agree upon it. It's understood this will be a no-wives or partners event. For anyone to suggest we arrange these nights out of resentment for the opposite gender, is really grasping hard for something argue on.

As has been stated previously, it was a similar experience when you logged into Gor and socialized in these restricted groups, without having to be considerate or courteous and calculating for everyone's sensibilities. You just talked and no one complained at how vulgar those discussions became and in that mess people formed friendships OOC'ly which carried into their roleplay. As a consequence, sims lasted a whole lot longer than they do now.

Now it's my intuition that RC groups are defunct, used only for raids and group notices. And it's not because we hate women in our midst, on the contrary, we control our conversation when women are present out of respect. That is true in RL, and SL.

Perhaps the younger generations as represented by Harlequin, Theoden and Darius think differently to myself. But even a decade ago in my 20s, I thought on these matters much as I do now. If you guys request it, I will give some thought to your circumstances and offer advice.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:18 am

Why don't you just create a group? 'Gorean men talking about cars and bitches.'
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Tantus, I dont think you are getting the point. i, myself and calling you a sexist, which is like a racist, but against women. The others might be doing the same too, but I cant speak for them directly. Though it does seem that way to me.

And yes they can have their 'girls night out' just like African Americans can have the NAACP but Caucasians cant. If you want to claim the whole "im old so its ok" thing that's bullshit, i am 31 so it seems im not far off from you yet I can still figure out when im acting like that.
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:41 pm

LOL

You can't compare the black american movement. The minorities might sometimes go overboard but white americans have hardly anything to group about.

Back to sort of the main topic:

The whole protection of the individual in SL has gone too far, the limits against rape and cutting limbs all over the place just questions what is people here for. Why won’t you allow yourself some good gorean gore since its all make believe?
I have this issue in other groups too, talking about bowl movement and some chick goes eww on us and how we should shut up. Or someone making a joke and you have to deal with hyper sensitive cunts who won’t even give benefit of the doubt.
I wish I could clean up all these sugar, mushy. daddy girl and asking for skype sex imbeciles but we can’t so we endure through our small elite groups and cliques and then the sim dies. Next!

Men should have their own groups but nobody can full control who joins in there, then again I've met a lot of prude men too. "To slander women of your caste, such vile chatter..." :facepalm:
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Gor's about a society whose bedrock is, like it or not, kinky sex and power exchange.
And anyone about to say "But Gor isn't BDSM!" sit the fuck down and shut up. You're wrong.

In that environment, you'd think... hope... that the women involved would be as on board with rough talk as the men would be. If they're not, there's a serious fuckin' problem. So maybe the issue isn't that there's women fucking up your ideal Gor (Though again, perhaps the works of Chuck Tingle might be more your inspiration?) but that is less an issue with women as a gender and more of a problem with the people who choose to play in gor these days.

That is, too many are whiny, self absorbed and obnoxious men and whiny, self absorbed and obnoxious women who want Gor, IC and OOC, to be what THEY want and will loudly plroclaim that others are "doing it worng" and do their best to kill conversations and RP that aren't how they like it.

This isn't new, though. Gor's been choking itself out like David Carradine in a Bangkok hotel room. The real problem is that the people who are sane, reasonable, fun, and actually want to RP Gor have mostly left, because they can't stand the current culture clash of the He Man Women Haters Club, Straight Women Playing Gay Men For Gor, and people whop use Gor RP to run their own fanfiction and try to explain to me why their personal 6 year old RP and made up castes and shit are really important to the sim and I need to know all about it.

So whatever. I'mma just watch the Cannon films Gor movies. It's the same as RPing in Gor with more sex.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Return to “Free Men”