Hey Men!

Discussions related to Free Men
User avatar
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 am
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Hey Men!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:02 pm

I am curious, what sort of rp do you like to do?
What drove you to want to play Gor?
What do you think would make Gor more interesting?
What are you most frustrated with in Gor?
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
User avatar
DarbyDollinger
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 am
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.
Location: Port Kar

Re: Hey Men!

Postby DarbyDollinger » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 am

My favourite RP is slaves doing chores 24/7 and then notecarding it for me to pretend to read.
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Hey Men!

Postby BlueConover » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:51 pm

I liked the camaraderie of original gor. I liked the setting the fantasy of it. the fact I didn't have to force submission on some one submission was just expected. I liked that in Gor men are dominant. period.
You do not have to prove anything, do anything, you just are.

that all changed obviously.

what frustrates me in gor now is the lack of gorean mindset. Everyone just seems to go "what would i do in this situation"

too many men want secret im sluts / fc's rather than collaring them and making them slave.
It's become too politically correct.
Too soft.
Too stale.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
Tantus
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Tantus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:11 pm

BlueConover wrote:I liked the camaraderie of original gor.


Bromance was a part of being Gorean in the books, and it used to be in SL Gor, but that atmosphere seems to be missing now.

There's no concept of loyalty to your Home Stone and citizens, so people just aren't connecting.

What appals me, are sims who make women moderate their Red Caste groups. Until men are moderating the local "Veils" group. women have no business being in warrior's groups.

Someone probably feels that female moderation is an OOC thing and absolutely acceptable. But. I've seen warrior's chats kicking off, then some random female moderator starts off with "OK guys that's enough. We don't want to talk like that in here."

When that happens on your sim, your Gor is over.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Sasi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:34 pm

I don't see why a woman couldn't moderate any group, even the warriors if they have the competences. As I have no issue neither with a man moderating a FW group.

Because I do separate IC and OOC. So, as long as people have the competences for being a moderator (impartiality, courtesy, patience, calm and good sense), I'm perfectly fine.
Dyce
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 pm
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Dyce » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 pm

I am in agreement with Conover and Tantus. The camaraderie.

I rant about the lost camaraderie everywhere I go. The point is very simple: Men do not trust each other anymore, nor hold each other in respect. Instead, when a man usually speaks to another, it starts off condescending. I cannot recall the last time I saw a good ole-fashioned honor spar to handle a dispute. Instead, men want to whine weakly and run to the mods. Or they want to try and one-up the next man and prove how better he is in an unhealthy fashion.

I also agree that Free Women characters/avatars have NO PLACE in a combative group. All it does is undermine the immersion. If the typist is a woman, I don't care. Immersion is necessary and Tantus' words ring true. Your Gor is over if a female persona moderates a bunch of men doing manly things.

The White Knight syndrome to run in and save a woman is also baffling to me. How can any conflict roleplay and storyline development occur if we are going to cock-block every little thing that happens? You don't want your woman raped or taken? Then belt her and chain her to your couch. If you want to run the risk of having your woman on the loose, then follow through with it.

I suppose what troubles me most of all about the lost camaraderie is that men no longer congregate for like-minded fun. Instead, we just pick on each other to try and make ourselves look better and to gain status from the powers-that-be. This occurred, I believe, when we started the hardcore segregation of BtB and GE and whatever else. We lost sight of simply having fun and became slaves to our own standards and expectations, and we demand that others in our vicinity live up to them.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Sasi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:07 pm

Immersion ? In a group chat when you're not rping, but speaking of casual subjects, of OOC issues? What kind of immersion can you get in a group chat?

I get my immersion while I'm effectively RPing, but in a group chat, I'm not rping, I'm somewhat in the real world chatting with other role players, not Goreans. Who moderates a group chat doesn't matter to me.

Also, the abuses with moderation are caused by men and women as well. Pussy mods of male genders, ruining other people's fun in group chats or forums, are definitely not a novelty nor something so rare...
Dyce
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 pm
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Dyce » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Sasi wrote:Immersion ? In a group chat when you're not rping, but speaking of casual subjects, of OOC issues? What kind of immersion can you get in a group chat?


Everything is relevant to immersion if it is part of the environment. Normally conversations in a specific caste group are not "casual" as you say. They are normally about something regarding that specific caste or the sim or an event. If men in a warrior chat are talking about manly stuff in Gor and the conversation gets heated and a female persona comes in and says "alright, guys, let's calm down", that just ruins everything. It doesn't give men the ability to befriend one another through conflict, and don't argue that point. I have a swinging dick, so I know how it goes. If men work out their differences violently and nobody tries to kick each other out, they usually become the best of friends. At the very least, we respect each other because the other didn't back down. That kind of brotherhood can't be fostered in an environment where women come in and tell us to calm down, especially in bold moderating words. So, yes, it breaks immersion and worse, it breaks camaraderie.

Edits to Add: At the very best, what will happen if a woman moderates men in a warrior chat is the men will begin to detest the woman, the typist. She will be ignored. She will be gossiped about. Men will plot to find some IC reason to get rid of her. Let men handle men. That's the whole point of this topic.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Sasi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:29 am

Dyce wrote:
Sasi wrote:Immersion ? In a group chat when you're not rping, but speaking of casual subjects, of OOC issues? What kind of immersion can you get in a group chat?


Everything is relevant to immersion if it is part of the environment. Normally conversations in a specific caste group are not "casual" as you say. They are normally about something regarding that specific caste or the sim or an event. If men in a warrior chat are talking about manly stuff in Gor and the conversation gets heated and a female persona comes in and says "alright, guys, let's calm down", that just ruins everything. It doesn't give men the ability to befriend one another through conflict, and don't argue that point. I have a swinging dick, so I know how it goes. If men work out their differences violently and nobody tries to kick each other out, they usually become the best of friends. At the very least, we respect each other because the other didn't back down. That kind of brotherhood can't be fostered in an environment where women come in and tell us to calm down, especially in bold moderating words. So, yes, it breaks immersion and worse, it breaks camaraderie.

Edits to Add: At the very best, what will happen if a woman moderates men in a warrior chat is the men will begin to detest the woman, the typist. She will be ignored. She will be gossiped about. Men will plot to find some IC reason to get rid of her. Let men handle men. That's the whole point of this topic.


I understand the feeling but from my point of view, it's more about the method as well as the woman's personality. Many think they must show the best of their dominant side to get respected by men and finally, deal with awkwardness. I already moderated some warrior chat groups. Never got a problem. All the opposite, I even stopped once an ongoing drama and sorted out the problem. The guy was rather grateful. Else, I was supportive of the warrior players, they are important on a RP sim. All is about the method. Some women get it, others not (and maybe, yes, they are a majority in this case). But some men are not better, I know it by experience, I definitely can't stand the many pussies who RP in SL Gor. Just, I'm not one of those women who will tap on a man's fingers like a school teacher disciplining some kid. I don't even think I'm an exception, I have some friends who are good at dealing with men without hurting their ego and make them feel castrated.

As for immersion, well, maybe am I an exception, but when not rping, I will speak of Gorean stuff, of role play (not just ongoing RP) but like a role player, never like the free woman I ICly depict. I speak of her like "my character", as for example "My character is in troubles" and not "I'm in troubles". In a RP environment such as Gor where so many people blur the IC and OOC lines, I tend to press more on the separation between me and my char. So, there is no longer any kind of immersion possible when I'm not rping....
User avatar
Qingwen
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 am
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Re: Hey Men!

Postby Qingwen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 am

Dyce wrote:If men in a warrior chat are talking about manly stuff in Gor and the conversation gets heated and a female persona comes in and says "alright, guys, let's calm down", that just ruins everything.


Oh that's because it's how women interact - with other women. We form alliances and support networks through careful emotional balance, negotiation and empathy and it matters greatly who is friends with who and an argument is a serious thing as it can destabilise the whole community! In short, we don't bond by sparring with each other.

But that's not how men work. Ask them about an argument that happened last week and they don't even remember it.

Best solution I can think of? We women gotta leave the men alone in their men's groups to do things in their own way. Not even watch quietly from the sidelines cos let's face it, we can't watch quietly. Sure their behaviour makes no sense to us, but they'll be fine. When they want female company, they'll seek it. And they will, don't worry. Meantime, leave them alone to do their thing.

;)

Return to “Free Men”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron