Distinct lack of Kilts.

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Distinct lack of Kilts.

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:51 pm

There've been a rash of slave character avatars that only come up to the belt/waist of the avatar of the character of their owner. I get that it makes standing blowjobs that much more convenient, but they gotta know whether they mean to or not- they're projecting undertones of pedophilia, which is way creepy.

I don't know if it's part of the problem of guytoons that are 10ft. tall hooking up with girltoons that are 5' or what, but I'd personally be bumping my slider if I was playing with a partner that tall and/or asking them to nudge it down a bit into "normal human" sized territory. LOL

Other than that, it's a pretty cool outfit on the guy- Forge accessories, looks like, all their stuff is good.

As for finding nice looking tunic/skirted outfits for guys, Dark Prophet Designs, I think? Or maybe The Fallen? And Stitched has a few. Mesh has opened up a lot of possibilities for decent looking tunics without the flappy flexi stuff.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Agreed, and in Torvaldsland sims that problem is even more apparent. When AC was open, I had to enforce a minimum height of 6'2" for women on sim just to offset it, and if the problem doesn't self correct I'm going to end up pushing for it again.
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:17 pm

The way SL measures height is way off. I'm 5'4" in RL, but when I make an av that's 5'4", she looks like she's about 4' tall. Most, if not all, of my avs are over 6' tall. Women tend to make their avs resemble them in some way, especially height. Couple that with SL Gor's need to have huge men, and we look really unbalanced. Several times in the books JN mentioned huge men, but there's no way to do that in SL without being an 8 ft tall man with a Daenotaur body. Yes, Torolf, I checked out your shape in world. ;)

I doubt the differences in height will go away. With women looking a normal, real world height that's dwarfed by SL's borked height measurements, and men following the descriptions in the books about these huge men, how could the avatars not look completely weird when standing side by side? What would help is if more men followed the descriptions of the average men in the books, left the monster height dudes to the Torvies, and more women went by comparative height and not real world measurements. I can't tell you how many times over the years I've had to IM a woman to say she's too short, only to get "I'm 5'2", which is my real height, so kiss off."

Back on topic, I discovered why more men don't wear kilts. The sandals are a bitch to fit right. Boots are easier. Throw them on and be done with it.
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:17 pm

My viewer says I'm 9'2" I'll have you know!
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Dear God...

:hiding:
Oisin
SL Name: Oisin Daffyd
Caste: Physician
Role: Physician and Paga Tester
Home Stone: Svago

Postby Oisin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:23 am

Just to digress a bit here regarding the 'kilt' word. How that originally came into being was the rather annoying habit of scribes (real mediaeval ones) spelling 'foreign' words as they heard them. England did tend to get raided by the Scots, who were Celts. The word (both in Irish and Scots Gallic) is 'Ceiltigh' which was promptly transcribed by the aforementioned scribes phonetically as 'Kilties' and their mode of dress became the 'kilt'.

Now just for fun, our word for a 'kilt' (excluding the one everyone assumes is one but is actually an invention by a Victorian era Englishman) is 'lena' which actually translates as 'tunic'.

I will admit that clothing in most of Gor does tend to wander around. I recall, when I came to SL Gor (from IRC via Ultima Online Gor) thinking the place was over-run by Assassins as almost everyone was running round in black leather gear. I also can recall the ground dragging man-skirts in fanciful tartan checks (the word 'plaid' actually means a blanket and has nothing to do with the pattern ;) ). From almost the start (well it did take me time to find them) I've worn tunics and sandals in caste colours (another thing that is conspicuous by it's absence over most of SL Gor). Perhaps it should also be pointed out that Gorean warriors had a Greek style helmet, a shield and a short sword (a gladius) but for some reason all you ever see are massive swords (that would take two hands to swing, presuming you could swing it without toppling over) not overlooking the assorted breastplates, shoulder armour and what have you.

Just my two tarsk bits worth on the subject of 'dress' :lol:
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:25 am

Some additional bits of info worth pointing out in this thread:

Trousers could be worn in certain northern latitudes, especially Torvaldsland (Explorers Ch32, Beasts of Gor). In response to tarnsmen wearing pants, maybe, as they also wear a kind of cloak for that sort of thing, and there is mention of boots for riding tharlarion for such reasons. I'd think they'd typically be with boots, if that's an issue, and the protection of their saddle.

As for kilts, I only recall tunic and not kilt being the actual term (thanks for the interesting trivia Oisin), however there is also mentioned "half tunics", "stripped to the waist", to clarify Goreans wear them in this manner as bottoms.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for that Oisin and Garian. I think the problem with the C and the K spelling, as well as the interesting listening problem your mentioned, also stems from the word for Celts entering the english language twice, one from the French (Celtaes - prounounced Seltaes) and one probably through German via the Greek Keltoi (hence prounounced kelt). Certainly everyone in GB will use the spelling of *celtic* but the pronounciation *keltic* - unless you are talking about the Scottish Football team, then and only then is it pronounced *Seltic* - not sure why they kept the french version though!
Regardless, me using the word kilt was slightly tongue in cheek and Norman does use the word Tunic as a rule I agree - however, there was a reference to *kilted* in one of the books...

" She had been given only water to drink, but it had seemed to her water such as might have gushed forth from secret woodland springs in classic groves or might in remote days have been dipped by kilted herdsmen from rushing mountain streams " Prize of Gor.

And theres still a distinct lack of kilts, caste colours and robes in SL Gor. :thumbdown:
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:27 am

And theres still a distinct lack of kilts, caste colours and robes in SL Gor. :thumbdown:

I dunno, I see that Iroas stuff everywhere. And with good reason, they are probably the best on the grid for this type of look right now. Leather armor with skirt, so that satisfies the whole "being able to upskirt the mantoons" thing. :lol:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/173956
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:33 am

@Tamar - Ooooo yes. More of that kind of stuff please!

Its not so much the upskirt thing, although thats very nice. My character Izzy has a bit of a weird knee fetish. True story. :lol:
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.

Return to “General RP Discussions”