Distinct lack of Kilts.

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Distinct lack of Kilts.

Postby serene mistwood » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 pm

So I've been away awhile.
A year has passed and I've been exploring Gor this last week. How very disappointing... I won't go into the atrocious RP, the offensive avatars, the joke mesh breasts bouncing all over, the frightful IM's, the poorly fitting mesh clothing and the same old builds...

What really has, frankly, quite upset me .. *sniff*.. was a distinct lack of warriors and others of the male persuasion in KILTS. Is everybody who roleplays a man some kind of trouser wearing mercenary type these days? Say what you like about the *good ole days*.. but at least there were plenty of Warriors in red KILTS!

Now call me bias.. but I happen to have a soft spot for a man in a red kilt. It might have showed. Especially one flying a tarn.
Please can someone point in the direction of a sim where I might find this male vestige of that hated Old Gor?

Thank you in anticipation.
Missing men in Kilts.
Serene/Isobel
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Re: Distinct lack of Kilts.

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Can't tell if trolling, or.....

Ah what the hell, I'll bite.

You do realize kilts aren't BTB, yes? As for sim builds, they've come a long way from 2007. You sure you didn't accidently log on into a lifestyler sim or something?
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:47 pm

The word you're looking for is "tunic". I don't think I ever saw them say "kilt".

Didn't Tarnsmen wear pants? That could rub and burn after a while.
serene mistwood

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Haha!  It's good to see the pedantry and snark hasn't left the gorums even if most posters seem to have! 

I was actually being totally serious Torolf !

And thanks for that clarification Pepper! :/  Perhaps kilt is the wrong word.. but tunics with sandals.. Man skirts.  Same thing really.  (And there is actually a quote about "kilted" men just to also be pedantic) The Gor book covers were awash with men in tunics, kilts and sandals.. and loin cloths.  Like Gladiator.  Where are they represented in SL Gor ?  .. That was my point really.  Every sim I visited,  without fail,  were simply full of men in black.. black trousers, black tops, black boots.. its all very boring.  And robes.. where are the robes?  Call me crazy but I kinda liked it when Scribes wore blue, Physicians wore Green and Warriors wore red or individual variations upon that caste theme. 

Now I admit to being slightly bias.  I like southern city RP.. I don't visit Torvaldsland or the desert South sims very much at all.  Its just my preference.  And I would expect to see kilts/tunics on the male RP'ers in these sims  - at least a few.  But no.  None.  And I think that is a big shame in my opinion.  SL Gor seems to be one big SL Stepford Gor. 

I know I have whined about it in the past.. but where is the originality and diversity that the Gor books offer in SL?     I am really really open to ideas and recommendations of where to go if it exists! 

As for builds.. sure they have changed since 2007.  I said I had been away a year, not 7 years.  Apart from more mesh everywhere .. nope.  No changes.  Same old design and planning in my opinion.  Nothing extraordinary at all out there in my last weeks experience.  Im willing to change my mind though if you point me where to look?

Lastly, I have no idea if they were lifestyle sims or not to be honest.  I rarely found any difference in practice regardless of how verbose other sims were/are in claiming the opposite, at least in theory.  No more nor less drama, same cuddle buddies, and the same old  SL partners holed up in private housing on any kind of sim.  It rarely made little difference to my actual RP what kind of sim I was on.  Most on lifestyle sims are still actually role playing that "lifestyle".   A polite "no thank you", or variations on that theme,  in IMs, works wonders with the "Get to my boot slut" IM brigade on any kind of sim.

So anyway.  Where does one find men in TUNICS then in 2015? 
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Pepper

Postby Pepper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm

I haven't read every book so I'll take your word on "kilted" being mentioned ;)

I'm not fond of the way the dress styles are changing. I miss the kilted/tuniced man in sandals too. There are a few here and there, but most have changed over to boots, pants and long tunics or shirts with a bazillion spiky accessories. At the same time, there were far too many warriors in black "back in the day" too. This has been a long standing complaint by Gorean rp'ers and isn't really anything recent.

You want to know where they are. Well that answer is simple. They're spread out all over Gor. There isn't any one sim (that I've seen) that has a saturation of tunic wearing warriors in it. From the highest traffic to the lowest traffic - best rp to worst rp, many warriors are in pants and black. Not all, but a lot. I'm even seeing men dressed like they just stepped out of GE in one very popular high traffic sim, Who Shall Remain Nameless but starts with a T and ends in an emos.

I have to disagree on the builds. Some of these new mesh builds are really very good. Turia, in it's last rebuild, had a pretty good mesh build while it lasted (kaboom). I'm seeing a lot more of the narrow street builds (though Turia's were a little wide for my taste) and less of the huge empty street with a line of buildings along the side (Nsykos, for example). I think we're coming out of the old build styles and moving into some really good ones. Ironhall has a very beautiful build this time around.

You'll just have to hop around and take a look to see which of the sims out there is the lesser evil. That's how I find places to play. Perfect doesn't exist. "That'll do" is all that's out there.
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:57 am

No snark intended actually. Yeah, tunics are finally becoming popular now that there are a few stores making really good ones. Still, a tunic is a top, and is no substitute for pants. Still going to see men wearing trousers, at least in Torvaldsland.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:50 pm

I have more issues with the lack of veils in SL Gor (most women playing low caste assume that their character doesn't need to wear one in public, which is totally wrong) and women with flowing hair and ponytails, than with men wearing trousers which don't look modern.

In "old Gor" (2007, 2008...) I don't remember a lot of men wearing tunics and skirts, the biker style was very common and well accepted.

And I am tired of seeing still people wearing flexi clothes and hair (of the cheapest quality even). Not to mention those who didn't update their skin since 2008...
serene mistwood

Postby serene mistwood » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:16 pm

2007/2008 is a bit before my time. I didn't join SL until around the end of 2009 - and back then kilts/tunics and Caste Robes/colours were almost certainly de rigueur on the sims I played on. Sentimentality aside.. I really did get a greater sense of immersion on these sims that were supposed to be big southern cities with the men dressed that way. I simply find the biker trouser boring, unimaginative and not my personal vision of this area of Gor. Its probably why I never roleplayed in Torvaldsland where I do find that fashion totally acceptable.

Low caste women not wearing veils? That doesn't bother me so much. I would only find it tiresome if the women complained OOC when and if they got collared. I find it a perfectly acceptable storyline for a low caste woman wanting to be enslaved going about with no veil.

As for the skins from 2008? I agree. It took me not much more than an hour to get my Isobel avatar fully updated and not many pounds. I just put it down to people having a very odd idea and vision of aesthetics in what is, after all, a visual environment. That being said.. I personally find the huge mesh bouncing breasts very odd and ugly too.. but hey ho.
Pepper

Postby Pepper » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:26 pm

2007/2008 they were mostly in black pants. By around 2009, the kilt started coming into style. Now we're back to pants, but they're mesh this time around. Fashion constantly changes. I do see more men in robes though then I've ever seen, and less men with super wide shoulders and tiny heads. Either the men are finally getting it or there are a lot more GBKs than I imagined out there.

The problem with low caste women without veils isn't that they're without veils. It's that they're without veils and don't think that's any reason for them to be enslaved because they're "allowed as low caste" to run around without a veil. Sure, if you want to get enslaved. Their denial is the part that makes it wrong.

I was camming a city yesterday, checking out the build and the players, and one of the slaves hadn't quite rezzed for me. She had these bitty little boobs that were swinging around like a pair of Clackers (I just dated myself, didn't I?). Finally her massive mesh bewbies rezzed in. They didn't swing like the system boobs did. I wasn't really sure what that was about, except maybe she forgot she had her bounce set on Super High. Funniest thing I've seen in a while, those two mini tits smacking together.

As for chronic flexi's, don't they pretty much stick to their old school sims?

:poke:
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:07 am

If I played a slave, actually, I would only wear a mesh body. You can even get a free one at the Mesh Project and it,s not very difficult to find nice outfits which wont require an alpha system. For months, many slave players used this free body, and when they don't oversize the boobs, it's perfect.

That Pepper said about the veils and low caste women. I am fine with a woman who seeks a collar, it,s BTB, there is even a quote. But I am tired of those who assume that it's perfectly fine to show their face, ignoring that in Southern Gor, showing your face, for a woman, is more scandalous than showing your boobs.

I prefer a warrior wearing a red tunic, a scribe and a physician in robes (and no weapon, I don't understand well why a scribe would wear a sword and bow...). But a merc, an assassin, a Torvi, as long as their outfit is not a biker/modern one, with pikes and skulls, I am fine.
The Victorian jacket style, I can't stand it.

Return to “General RP Discussions”