How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.

How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Full time: I’m still active, my online time hasn’t changed much and I spend most of that in Gor.
22
14%
Full time: I’m still active, my online time hasn’t changed much and I spend most of that in Gor.
22
14%
Part time: I’m online regularly, the same amount as usual, but less than half of that time is in Gor.
15
9%
Part time: I’m online regularly, the same amount as usual, but less than half of that time is in Gor.
15
9%
Part time: My SL time has been significantly reduced or limited, but when I am online I am in Gor.
15
9%
Part time: My SL time has been significantly reduced or limited, but when I am online I am in Gor.
15
9%
Inactive: I’m no longer roleplay in Gor as my SL time is significantly reduced.
5
3%
Inactive: I’m no longer roleplay in Gor as my SL time is significantly reduced.
5
3%
Inactive: My online time is about the same, but I’m no longer in Gor as I found other things to do.
18
11%
Inactive: My online time is about the same, but I’m no longer in Gor as I found other things to do.
18
11%
Other: Just because every poll should have an other.
6
4%
Other: Just because every poll should have an other.
6
4%
 
Total votes: 162
User avatar
TreatRothschild
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius
Location: NJ

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Perhaps they enjoy talking here BECAUSE they are no longer active and want to know what the latest RP trends are. I know that I was at the original one and now here, to the point of being an admin for a few weeks, because I genuinely like the people here and, as I was working on code every hour I was in SL, I didn't really get a chance to talk to them.

I don't think that you should make the criteria "What do they add to RP?" but rather "What do they add to the Boards". This place is different from SL, even though its main reason for existence is SL Gor. If you want to foe someone because you think they're too obstreperous or "mean" or whatever, that's on you, you're missing some good conversations and differing viewpoints on just what makes this place tick. Plus, you would never last on a proper political board if you think they're mean here. Whooo!

Keep in mind, also, that many of those people you say don't contribute are some of the founders of SL Gor. Some of the people who got it all up and going. Maybe they got burned out. Maybe they got jaded. Maybe they truly DON'T like the direction SL Gor has taken and want to distance themselves from that, but still want to talk about and to SL Goreans.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
User avatar
Sempati
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Caste: Warrior
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby Sempati » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:49 pm

I use these forums as a realm to bounce ideas, to get opinions and insight on matters, and to fill in gaps of my knowledge about Gor and SL Gor roleplay. I tend to be a bit more purist in my approach to Gor as I grew up reading these books and did not know any better about the poor quality of JN's writing.
I find it a bit disturbing that some are willing to ignore or call out people like Sie, Pelo and others that have a lot of knowledge about Gor all because they are no longer active in the RP world. Yes, they are not active in the RP realm but how does that change the fact of ABC in terms of Gor? Kinda like telling your physics instructor his opinion means nothing because he doesn't actively work with Stephen Hawking.

The forums do not frustrate me as much, because I been frustrated with SL Gor from the moment I set foot in it. Far too many sources of bad information out there, too many out of context quotes, and too many that could care less about 'Gor' and just want the fight/fur/my way fantasy realm to play in. Not sure why Gor is so big honestly the majority seem to want to change the culture to modern style instead of RPing in the confines of the Gorean culture. I would think a Conan based RP would be bigger since its like Gor plus you have magic and female warriors.
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee
...

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby ... » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Maggy Hazelnut wrote:Maybe these forums should be left to the non-players & the narrow "para-RP, only will RP with certain people, don't want to know you as a person, leave me the fuck alone" crowd.


If that's how you view these forums I'm at a loss for what the hell you're doing here anyway.

As far as I'm aware these are gorean forums where the main body of participants are roleplaying Gor in SL - not SL Gor forums where everyone must be roleplaying Gor in SL to take part. The vast majority of threads don't ask questions about SL Gor. They ask questions about Gor culture or traditions, so why shouldn't someone with the knowledge to contribute do so?

As for wanting to know you as a person... uhm... what? I go to roleplay sims to ROLEPLAY. Occasionally OOC interaction will occur and friendship or acquaintance will develop. But wanting to know the person behind every avatar when my character interacts with them? No. Could not care less. It'll happen naturally or not at all. The main objective is to RP.
User avatar
Adoveea Rau
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:45 am
SL Name: Adoveea Rau
Caste: Builder
AkA: Lady

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby Adoveea Rau » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Full time, always, in sl gor...you mean there is other parts to do? no thanks, gor roleplay keeps me very active and always busy. Down through the years, still there and having a grand time. Not always perfect, not always the same, not always a thrill a minute, but i happen to love variety .
Still haven't taken a vacation from it...

If you keep going and looking and pointing out terrible wrong things that happened to you that weren't *gorean* blah blah or whine and bitch about other people's roleplay or behavior ,you're always going to end up licking up and chewing that same old chunky vomit over and over.

Grins and winks.
Reputation is what others know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.
User avatar
TreatRothschild
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 pm
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius
Location: NJ

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Sempati wrote:The forums do not frustrate me as much, because I been frustrated with SL Gor from the moment I set foot in it. Far too many sources of bad information out there, too many out of context quotes, and too many that could care less about 'Gor' and just want the fight/fur/my way fantasy realm to play in. Not sure why Gor is so big honestly the majority seem to want to change the culture to modern style instead of RPing in the confines of the Gorean culture. I would think a Conan based RP would be bigger since its like Gor plus you have magic and female warriors.
What's interesting is a friend of mine made a place called "Gor 2050". It was supposed to take place after the PKs have been overthrown. So, there was plenty of room for expansion and change. It failed. Why? It wasn't Gorean enough.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
User avatar
Maggy Hazelnut
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:59 pm
SL Name: Maggy Hazelnut

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby Maggy Hazelnut » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:40 pm

@ Oor -- I am on these forums because I enjoy SL Gor and these forums are ONE of the forms of communication with other players. If I want to participate in other forums I'll do that too. I'm here to learn, to post and share opinions and to communicate. I would also like to see things improve both on the forums and in SL Gor.

As far as OOC and getting to know others as friends, I wasn't talking about doing it in an unnatural way. I don't walk up to someone and start spilling my RL to them. But I'm not so afraid that I have to hide behind a role and not be friendly. And as far as saying that the main objective is to RP - well keep in mind that there's also a section here for Lifestylers whether the hardcore RPers like it or not. Some are even in the middle and do both! Not everyone is on the far extremes. It might be "pure RP" to you and some others but it's not to everyone.

I wasn't saying that those that quit SL Gor should necessarily leave the forums. I was asking WHY they stayed if they didn't play anymore for a long period of time or if they disliked the game which several have stated before. I STILL don't understand why anyone would hang around in any forum or group if they disliked what the forums were made for. Just like you, I'm allowed to have my opinions and to state them here.
Maggy Hazelnut
User avatar
Cor
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:25 pm
SL Name: Trenzos Dyrssen
Caste: Scribe
Role: Scholar
Home Stone: Ar
Owner: Kaissa
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby Cor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 pm

I'd play in Gor if they let me have pointy ears. I suppose the reason why I don't play often is that well...it took me over two years to realise Gor wasn't for me.

Players tend to always seem to put people in boxes and judge them by that, expecting the same results and that just became a drag. I'm more into the variety of personalities above characters. Warriors don't do that, panther's don't do this. Kaissa players don't do this and that...which is so not fair. They can toss pieces at their enemy and still run, saying...."You will pay for this, <insert hero name here>!!"
“Of mankind we may say in general they are fickle, hypocritical, and greedy of gain.”
...

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby ... » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:51 pm

Maggy Hazelnut wrote:As far as OOC and getting to know others as friends, I wasn't talking about doing it in an unnatural way. I don't walk up to someone and start spilling my RL to them. But I'm not so afraid that I have to hide behind a role and not be friendly. And as far as saying that the main objective is to RP - well keep in mind that there's also a section here for Lifestylers whether the hardcore RPers like it or not. Some are even in the middle and do both! Not everyone is on the far extremes. It might be "pure RP" to you and some others but it's not to everyone.


Yes, there are both. There are people in the middle and spread all along the spectrum from roleplayer to lifestyler and back again. HOWEVER. When I'm in a roleplay sim I expect people to roleplay. I do not expect to get caught up in someone's OOC drama due to my in character actions because THEY are unable to grasp the very basic and simple concept of a ROLEPLAY sim.

Again you mention that word afraid - did you ever stop for a moment and think that perhaps some people have very limited online time and would rather spend it doing their leisure activity of choice (in this case, roleplaying) than standing about in IMs with people engaging in smalltalk? They are not afraid, they are not unfriendly, and they are not worse people than you simply because they choose to spend their leisure time in a different way to you.

Maggy Hazelnut wrote:@ Oor -- I am on these forums because I enjoy SL Gor and these forums are ONE of the forms of communication with other players. If I want to participate in other forums I'll do that too. I'm here to learn, to post and share opinions and to communicate. I would also like to see things improve both on the forums and in SL Gor.


Right, but if these forums were exclusively for people who play in SL Gor, it would surely be mentioned somewhere - and the superfluous stuff - General section, for example, would be removed. Your very negative attitude toward what you seem to think is the majority of this community ("para-RP, only will RP with certain people, don't want to know you as a person, leave me the fuck alone" crowd) led me to ask what you were doing here. It would seem the answer is - a variation on what everyone else is doing here, with the exception that some people don't like or don't have time to engage in SL Gor right now.

Maggy Hazelnut wrote:I wasn't saying that those that quit SL Gor should necessarily leave the forums.


Yes you were. Perhaps not directly, but you were right there on Carter's bandwagon:

"My practice is not to foe anyone but it is a thought. It might help me keep what little sanity I have left. *laughs* Perhaps it is time to look at other Gorean forums where people actually play SL Gor and have a more open and optimistic attitude. Maybe these forums should be left to the non-players & the narrow "para-RP, only will RP with certain people, don't want to know you as a person, leave me the fuck alone" crowd."


A more passive-aggressive statement I have not seen in a long while. The tone, the wording and the feelings expressed suggest that you want anyone not currently engaged in SL Gor; anyone who roleplays with paragraphs; anyone who would prefer to play within a small group of people they know; anyone who isn't interested in becoming an OOC friend, or anyone who doesn't particularly want to be bothered by OOC during their RP time to fuck off elsewhere.

Maggy Hazelnut wrote:Just like you, I'm allowed to have my opinions and to state them here.


I don't recall saying you're not allowed. Not even sure where this little gem came from. But on the flip-side - just like you, ANYONE who stays within the TOS of the boards is allowed to have opinions and to state them here.

Maggy Hazelnut wrote:I STILL don't understand why anyone would hang around in any forum or group if they disliked what the forums were made for.


Perhaps because their break from Gor is unavoidable or temporary. Perhaps because their input to a lot of discussions about Gorean culture and their providing of quotes and such is valuable. Perhaps just because they feel like being? It's a discussion board - they don't need to pass tests to post. If you take, as an example, the recent thread "Where are all the Men", started by you - what would be the point of having input in that thread ONLY from men who are still active and happy in SL Gor? Is it not interesting and pertinent to the discussion to hear the views of those that have been burned out by SL Gor?
Carter
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:52 pm
SL Name: ***

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby Carter » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:27 am

Sempati wrote:I find it a bit disturbing that some are willing to ignore or call out people like Sie, Pelo and others that have a lot of knowledge about Gor all because they are no longer active in the RP world. Yes, they are not active in the RP realm .


I chose to ignore comments from people who are no longer active for several reasons;

a) for some reason they became jaded, they couldnt balance their perspective of Gorean interpretation to role play in SL and left, they couldnt co-exist in a cyber world with others where there is no black and white - that tells me something

b) they make comments with little appreciation of the practical aspects of modern day people, bringing their modern day thinking and trying to develop a gorean character in a cartoon world.. not a real planet on the far side of the sun

c) I personally have met and interacted with many of the "burn outs" who's comments can be incredibly hypocritical and very often did not reflect their behaviour in-world when they did RP.

d) and lastly.. the negativity from the "burn outs" in these forums is unappreciated and not helpful to those wishing to develop and mature in their appreciation of gorean role play in SL.

and using your analogy of physics teachers.. NO I dont want to listen to a burnt out physics teacher telling me its all shit, the end of world is inevitable and you cant change the laws of nature so why bother continue living

and as I always say.. "if i want to argue with some one who is bitter and twisted.. i can phone up my ex wife" :D
User avatar
Shjade
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 am
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Re: How active are you in Gorean RP these days?

Postby Shjade » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:58 am

Cor wrote:They can toss pieces at their enemy and still run, saying...."You will pay for this, <insert hero name here>!!"

If they're tossing ACME pieces they can even flee behind the cover of purple smoke screen!
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Return to “General RP Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron