Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Tantus
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Tantus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:17 pm

The real limitation in roleplaying is the hourly cost. I had to look at the weeks/months ahead of me and how much time I could commit before joining any sim. Else I would have RP'd at places like ROIAF and Sci-Fi sims. Gor has an advantage for non-committal roleplayers like myself :D

I know I'm pushing this MMORPG, but take a look at Elyria. Groups on the EU server have been roleplaying out their regional histories, this post is indicative of what lays ahead for the RP intensive towns.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Sasi » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Tantus wrote:You're an idealist, it's not a picture of reality, you paint scenarios as you want to see them. It's why you haven't learned anything in the slightest about people roleplaying online, nothing since the days you mingled with Lifestylers pre-BTB.

Now you're trying to paint me as some 'old Gor' roleplayer, when I was probably the first person on these Forums and in SL Gor, highlighting the fact that the lifestyle was spreading into BTB sims. That was in 2009, when it could have been contained but people were too naive to see it.



Are you serious, Tantus? You were highlighting the fact that lifestyle was spreading into BTB sims, in 2009? Did you just join in 2009? I joined SL Gor in 2006. And fortunately, in 2009, the lifestyle crap was decreasing.
In 2009, you were no longer given a field of crap if, playing a slave, you addressed people with their name in OOC, instead of using titles. You were no longer harassed in all sims, if, as a slave player, you had dared to leave your character's owner. Lifestylers (those from the old IRC chats and RL lifestylers) were beginning to become, finally, a minority. BTB had nothing to do with that fact. When the BTB movement appeared, it meant only one thing: No fighting female in Gor (in BTB sims) other than panther girls.

It doesn't mean the lifestyle movement disappeared. In fact, these lifestylers have been replaced by "online lifestylers". Those who don't follow the lifestyle in RL, but who, once they set a foot in SL Gor, forget they are just role players and stop distancing themselves from their character. They are those fail at applying the principle of OOC equality.

And I'm not an idealist. I just expect to find in SL Gor, the average standards I found in the other RP environments where I played. Gor has also a rather negative reputation in SL, especially in other RP genres. The online role-play is not limited to SL Gor.

Tantus wrote:So, I was visiting a friend at Khalida earlier this year and after camming the sim and looking through their groups, I told her it was a Lifestyle sim and nothing was going to happen there. And I recall seeing you across the sim too settled into your house. It's like you have this attraction to Lifestylers, Khalida in 2018, Lifestyle Ar in 2017, probably if we looked through your RP history, you've made an annual pilgrimage to Lifestyle sims since the good times you had with them in Old Gor.

With your past experiences, I can't believe you have this difficulty identifying Lifestylers now. There must be some intent, something which draws you to the flame.

Somehow I'm meant to believe you have a good judgement in choosing RP partners? Hi Erwin.



Erwin? He has never been one of my RP partners. I guess I have been clean, previously, in this thread.

Khalida was not a lifestyle sim. I joined it with a friend because of their laws. There was no slave laws, there was an emphasis put on the RP etiquette, there was NO specific law for assassins.

Here their rules (the non raid ones). Feel free to point the lifetyle points:

► Show Spoiler


The rules I have underlined in bold are seldom used in the rest if SL Gor, which is lame. But the rules can be good, if you still welcome snowflakes with non sense characters, it becomes hard to RP for those ho are real BTB expectations. Got some fun with a guy, there, though. Then, we both moved (I went to play in an new urban genre). Gor is not very appealing to me, since 2 years.

Tantus wrote:So far as I'm concerned, if I happen to see you on a Gorean sim(Like the many Ar failures), I immediately know it's going to have high ideals but zero substance.

But you're Sasi, you don't do mundane roleplay, it's all "...flirting, sex, violence, conflicts, rivalries" in your daily RP, which lasts for your average lifespan on a sim, of a week, two weeks? If your RP Life is this exciting then why are you always on the move.

I'm amazed with all of this exciting roleplay on deep and cohesive RP sims, you abandon it all to answer the call of Lifestyle sims. The only reason these lifestylers keep IM'ing you with "kajira", is they keep seeing you on their sims, they think you're one of them.


No, I don't do mundane role play. Playing lovey dovey family bores me to death, filling NCs is not my conception of role play.
I don't join lifestyle sims, Tantus. For the simple reason that I read the rules of the sims I visit (I'm a rare species, in Gor, I suppose, the one who takes time to read the rules...). If a sim doesn't have dumb slave rules, obvious discriminative rules, emphasize the RP etiquette, allows the use of NPC, I may give it a try.
But I will stay only if I injoy the RP, I will leave if not. Simple like that. When like me, you have read the 34 books, you tend to feel rather limited when you have to play with people whose interpretation of Gor is all black and white and think they are super creative because they play a mamba, or some other non sense half tuchuk / half Torvi or exotic albino slave with some ninja skills. A sim may have decent rules, but no standard when it comes to recruit its players.

Tantus wrote:As for anything else, it's clear we do things differently. My whole concern with these threads on the Gorums is, when a group of people claim they do it better, with deep characters, lore-rich sims and whatever buzzwords are tossed into the mix, I have higher expectations from them.


We definitely do things differently. Unlike you, I consider that slave players are not a different kind of players who should get a special OOC treatment. I have no prejudice toward people because the role they play or their gender as you do. I consider that metered combats and raids are not a requirement for keeping people interested, I enjoy IC political schemes and IC dramas and I don't need to waste my time in filling NCs in order to RP caste work. When you play with warriors players, you grant more importance to their combat skills than RP skills which puzzles me. You still appreciate the non sense mundane RP such as "go record your slaves, do slave exams" etc etc.
Also, since you never played a storyline with me, I don't think you can carry a judgment about my creativity and the way I play my chars, with substance or not. I didn't judge neither, the way you express your characters for the same reasons. You want to judge the consistance of my chars? RP with me.

In fact, you just express some hostility toward people who definitely abide by standards which are commonly applied in other RP environments. Not something I understand well, because I see nothing wrong with people who RP by these common RP standards. Some personal conflict with one of them caused all this hostility?

Oh, and should I mention that I totally agree with Anarch's post? Did you read it, Tantus?
It summarizes well the reasons that made me lose my enjoyment in RPing in SL Gor, since now, 2 years (and a few months, I'm afraid). I never recovered this little flame and I have, now, zero patience.
Sometimes, I play a Gor scene with my partner, we decide of a story, we develop it during a few hours. Lot of NPCs involved, but lot of fun as well, never a disappointment. When it's necessary, we visit some empty city, just to have the decorum. It's how I RP Gor, now :)
Qingwen
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 am
SL Name: Qin

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Qingwen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 am

Tantus wrote:I know I'm pushing this MMORPG, but take a look at Elyria. Groups on the EU server have been roleplaying out their regional histories, this post is indicative of what lays ahead for the RP intensive towns.


Got free characters? I'd pay maybe 20 bucks for a peasant or intelligent chicken :P

I'll keep an eye on that one, meantime I am still enjoying Conan Exiles. The rainforest map is beauuutiful.
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Tantus
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Tantus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:11 am

Sasi wrote:Are you serious, Tantus? You were highlighting the fact that lifestyle was spreading into BTB sims, in 2009? Did you just join in 2009? I joined SL Gor in 2006. And fortunately, in 2009, the lifestyle crap was decreasing.


I actually looked around SL Gor during 2006 and found it a very cringy place, the mix of lifestyling wasn't how I recognised roleplaying, I didn't stay for long. It's no surprise however, that you enjoyed this crowd.

When the BTB movement entered into 2009, then yes, this new breed of Lifestyler who disguised their sims as BTB Roleplaying ventures became the common theme. Then I could see it becoming the future of SL Gor, since trying to steer Gor off that course, I eventually retired. Because SL Gor is what the people want it to be and I stopped being a part of it.

Sasi wrote:Khalida was not a lifestyle sim. I joined it with a friend because of their laws. There was no slave laws, there was an emphasis put on the RP etiquette, there was NO specific law for assassins.

Here their rules (the non raid ones). Feel free to point the lifetyle points:


Laws, sim descriptions, player profiles, it's all meaningless talk.

The sim was managed by a lifestyle character and that's all I needed to know. Historically you have a low standard of sims you've settled on, so it was good enough for you.

Sasi wrote:I don't join lifestyle sims, Tantus. For the simple reason that I read the rules of the sims I visit (I'm a rare species, in Gor, I suppose, the one who takes time to read the rules...). If a sim doesn't have dumb slave rules, obvious discriminative rules, emphasize the RP etiquette, allows the use of NPC, I may give it a try.


Yet you settled on Tarnwald where the rules clearly stated its slave registration process, a requirement you equate to Lifestyle sims. I see no sense in joining a sim, and later leaving because you disagreed with the laws. Save yourself the time and read them before settling in.

Sasi wrote:We definitely do things differently. Unlike you, I consider that slave players are not a different kind of players who should get a special OOC treatment. I have no prejudice toward people because the role they play or their gender as you do. I consider that metered combats and raids are not a requirement for keeping people interested, I enjoy IC political schemes and IC dramas and I don't need to waste my time in filling NCs in order to RP caste work. When you play with warriors players, you grant more importance to their combat skills than RP skills which puzzles me. You still appreciate the non sense mundane RP such as "go record your slaves, do slave exams" etc etc.


The people I've known in SL Gor, would tell you it doesn't describe my views at all. Show me anywhere I've said a slave-player should be treated differently OOC'ly. Or any log of my IM'ing a female with 'kajira'. I don't do those things, it's very silly.

In the general sense, FW players portrayed mature characters whom I preferred interacting with, over the nubile and virginal slaves who happened to be the standard type. Obviously it wasn't the case on your sims which are bursting with perfect portrayals of every style.

I've always valued a good Red Caste roleplayer over a gamer, it's been my attitude towards recruitment since the beginning and you'll not see anywhere I've posted otherwise. Neither had I invited hordes of GE players to defend our sims, that's something your friends do, so don't confuse me with them.

Sasi wrote:In fact, you just express some hostility toward people who definitely abide by standards which are commonly applied in other RP environments. Not something I understand well, because I see nothing wrong with people who RP by these common RP standards. Some personal conflict with one of them caused all this hostility?


I really don't care about online people, but I do question bullshit.

This is how I interpret a profile claim:
"I'm a RL Master" - It speaks for his insecurities.
"I don't do drama" - Usually the cause of it.
"I'm an advanced roleplayer" - It speaks for his insecurities.

There's no difference between the first and third statement, what qualifies either of them?

Whilst you may be turned on by buzzwords and ambitions, I want to see the substance. Movie posters will tell you the latest Star Wars episodes are 5/5. Amazing. Brilliant. Exciting. But I fell asleep trying to watch the past two movies. That's just how I feel about overly hyped roleplaying sims, they get the marketing done admirably but when people leave that theatre its with a deflated sense of emptiness.


Sasi wrote:Oh, and should I mention that I totally agree with Anarch's post? Did you read it, Tantus?
It summarizes well the reasons that made me lose my enjoyment in RPing in SL Gor, since now, 2 years (and a few months, I'm afraid). I never recovered this little flame and I have, now, zero patience.


Sasi, you do nothing but agree with Anarch and Oor on these forums.
If Anarch posted the Earth was flat, you would agree 100%
If Oor claimed the Moon landings were fake, you would post links to Alex Jones as proof.

I don't say this to be mean, as a friend I will say you need to think independently too. It says nothing positive for one's ability to process information when they fanatically follow others. I once told you they were filling your impressionable mind with a fantasy, and guess how that turned out.

But a year ago, Anarch's impression of GoT players was of a flawless standard and you 'totally agreed' with him.
Today Anarch is open to acknowledging levels of toxicity within that community and you 'totally agree' with him.

Where is your opinion in all of this, your research, your reasoning?

Because the three of you make some valid points but then its crossed with these outlandish claims of player-perfection which draws a huge question mark over the entire thread, and what-the-fuck is going through your minds.
Tantus
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Tantus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:19 am

Qingwen wrote:Got free characters? I'd pay maybe 20 bucks for a peasant or intelligent chicken :P

I'll keep an eye on that one, meantime I am still enjoying Conan Exiles. The rainforest map is beauuutiful.


With so many towns and counties to populate they'll very likely go F2P by the second/third year.


If you think people buying kingdoms is crazy, Star Citizen just crossed the $200,000,000 mark mostly by selling space ships, models range from hundreds to thousands of dollars. The game does look amazing though, a demo is free to play for this week.
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Sasi » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 am

Tantus wrote:
I actually looked around SL Gor during 2006 and found it a very cringy place, the mix of lifestyling wasn't how I recognised roleplaying, I didn't stay for long. It's no surprise however, that you enjoyed this crowd.

When the BTB movement entered into 2009, then yes, this new breed of Lifestyler who disguised their sims as BTB Roleplaying ventures became the common theme. Then I could see it becoming the future of SL Gor, since trying to steer Gor off that course, I eventually retired. Because SL Gor is what the people want it to be and I stopped being a part of it.


The BTB movement started in 2008. And still, as I said, it was far worse in 2007, 2006.


Tantus wrote:Laws, sim descriptions, player profiles, it's all meaningless talk.

The sim was managed by a lifestyle character and that's all I needed to know. Historically you have a low standard of sims you've settled on, so it was good enough for you.


I don't do an investigation on the sim owners. I just read the rules. If the rules please me, I may join. If it happens that the sim owner doesn't respect the sim rules, I leave. Simple like that.
But still, Khalida had very decent rules, the kind of rules you could expect to find in every sim in SL Gor.
Historically, I have a high standard of sims I join. Illyros for example, fitted perfectly these standards.



Tantus wrote:Yet you settled on Tarnwald where the rules clearly stated its slave registration process, a requirement you equate to Lifestyle sims. I see no sense in joining a sim, and later leaving because you disagreed with the laws. Save yourself the time and read them before settling in.


Not exactly, Tantus. My character had been captured in Ko-ro-ba (not the lifestyle one from 2005). I went with the RP, I played with fun people. I didn't even leave with your notice. I left because I was invited to join Kaelus as co-owner. And anyway, my own storyline in Tarnwald led me to this outcome. I had to leave this city, Icly (which I did, during a raid, with a mercenary), before ending up in collar. My intention was neither to stay definitely (I didn't think Ko-ro-ba would so quickly close).


Tantus wrote:The people I've known in SL Gor, would tell you it doesn't describe my views at all. Show me anywhere I've said a slave-player should be treated differently OOC'ly. Or any log of my IM'ing a female with 'kajira'. I don't do those things, it's very silly.

In the general sense, FW players portrayed mature characters whom I preferred interacting with, over the nubile and virginal slaves who happened to be the standard type. Obviously it wasn't the case on your sims which are bursting with perfect portrayals of every style.

I've always valued a good Red Caste roleplayer over a gamer, it's been my attitude towards recruitment since the beginning and you'll not see anywhere I've posted otherwise. Neither had I invited hordes of GE players to defend our sims, that's something your friends do, so don't confuse me with them.


You're the one supporting specific rules protecting slave players against predators. A rule rather insulting toward the adult and mature players who play a slave, since by such a rule, they are litteraly considered like poor little fragile things who can't care well enough for themselves.

You're the one supporting the silly kennel system and you gave us, more once, your overall opinion on slave players, which is never positive (except once, which, for someone who is in SL Gor since, what, 10 years, speaks volumes...).

You're the one who expressed a prejudice toward slave players owning a sim, like the average old Gor crappy lifestyler.

I don't know why you insist on criticizing my RP partners. Must I repeat again that I don't play with snowflakes or drama idiots? I play with mature people, those who know their role.

Should I repost again your own comment where you tell how you train new additions to the red caste of your sim, which doesn't give them a lot of time to display their RP skills...?

And no, my friends never invited GE players to defend our sims. Incidentally, they never make brilliant plans to set alliances with other sims in order to OOCly isolate another just because its admins raid banned their own sim.......

Tantus wrote:
I really don't care about online people, but I do question bullshit.

This is how I interpret a profile claim:
"I'm a RL Master" - It speaks for his insecurities.
"I don't do drama" - Usually the cause of it.
"I'm an advanced roleplayer" - It speaks for his insecurities.

There's no difference between the first and third statement, what qualifies either of them?

Whilst you may be turned on by buzzwords and ambitions, I want to see the substance. Movie posters will tell you the latest Star Wars episodes are 5/5. Amazing. Brilliant. Exciting. But I fell asleep trying to watch the past two movies. That's just how I feel about overly hyped roleplaying sims, they get the marketing done admirably but when people leave that theatre its with a deflated sense of emptiness.


Nor I or my RP partners label ourselves, especially not in our profiles. You accused us to be elitists. We are just RPers who can RP in respecting the basic RP rules which are the norm everywhere outside of SL Gor. Is it true that we could be seen as advanced RPers in SL Gor. Eh, after years of role-playing, we're quite experienced and we tend not to mess in doing mistakes that some Gor RPers repeat year after year. The term of advanced, anyway, unlike "elitist" has no pejorative connotation, just a way to speak of people who have experience and knowledge.

Tantus wrote:Sasi, you do nothing but agree with Anarch and Oor on these forums.
If Anarch posted the Earth was flat, you would agree 100%
If Oor claimed the Moon landings were fake, you would post links to Alex Jones as proof.
I don't say this to be mean, as a friend I will say you need to think independently too. It says nothing positive for one's ability to process information when they fanatically follow others. I once told you they were filling your impressionable mind with a fantasy, and guess how that turned out.
But a year ago, Anarch's impression of GoT players was of a flawless standard and you 'totally agreed' with him.
Today Anarch is open to acknowledging levels of toxicity within that community and you 'totally agree' with him.
Where is your opinion in all of this, your research, your reasoning?
Because the three of you make some valid points but then its crossed with these outlandish claims of player-perfection which draws a huge question mark over the entire thread, and what-the-fuck is going through your minds.


I agree with them when they phrase so well my own opinion. When you say something with which I can agree, I will support your claim as well (already did). When I disagree with Anarch, I say it (already did many times in these forums). I got some fights with Oor, too, some years ago, over other subjects. But sorry, Tantus, since the beginning of our discussions, I never expressed a different opinion than theirs, on the subject we're talking about.

Anarch didn't acknowledge a level of toxicity, he said this:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:As for ROIAF being the most toxic community? Maybe.


"maybe" is not a confirmation.

Plus, Anarch added this:
But it's also one of the few RP sims on which I've actually seen people play out unexpected defeat, and something I orchestrated myself rather recently (read: half a year ago): mass death scenes without anyone raging about it. Which for me will remain one of the most epic and most satisfying grand RP scenes I've ever witnessed.


It sounds rather like a flawless standard RP style to me, if you want my opinion....

Is it so difficult for you, Tantus, to admit that SL Gor is far to reach such a level of maturity in RP? Sorry, your hostility toward people who just expect to be able to play their role without all the shitty IC/OOC mixing and unrealistic IC non sense they faced in SL Gor, puzzles me a litle bit... Not to mention that obviously, you never RPed a storyline with these people... But you have an opinion about the substance of their RP....
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Tantus wrote:But a year ago, Anarch's impression of GoT players was of a flawless standard and you 'totally agreed' with him.
Today Anarch is open to acknowledging levels of toxicity within that community and you 'totally agree' with him.


Flawless or perfect? Fuck no.

Just "much better than SL Gor"... if long term storycrafting and creating / harvesting a bit of tension and suspension or long lasting social or personal consequences in your RP is what you enjoy. And just overall a much better understanding of RP etiquette. (Do note, I underlined 'creating', because just sitting around and expecting it to come isn't going to work in any RP sim).

I'm not sure why you're so opposed to that observation. Go to any SL Gor sim and tell me there aren't a few clowns running around who couldn't RP their way out of a wet paper bag. Why is it difficult to understand that in sims with application requirements a lot of people would get weeded out before they're even allowed to set foot in other people's storylines?

Does every RP genre have it's own issues? Of course, but for me the greatest solace is in knowing that the sim administration is actually genuinely interested in offering a platform focused on story-oriented role play. which in my opinion SL Gor sims just -can't- do unless they dare to break away from the mold and the "standard SL Gor sim rules".



Also, me and Sasi disagreeing on things happens more often than you imagine. :P
Tantus
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Tantus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Flawless or perfect? Fuck no.

Just "much better than SL Gor"... if long term storycrafting and creating / harvesting a bit of tension and suspension or long lasting social or personal consequences in your RP is what you enjoy. And just overall a much better understanding of RP etiquette. (Do note, I underlined 'creating', because just sitting around and expecting it to come isn't going to work in any RP sim).

I'm not sure why you're so opposed to that observation. Go to any SL Gor sim and tell me there aren't a few clowns running around who couldn't RP their way out of a wet paper bag. Why is it difficult to understand that in sims with application requirements a lot of people would get weeded out before they're even allowed to set foot in other people's storylines?

Does every RP genre have it's own issues? Of course, but for me the greatest solace is in knowing that the sim administration is actually genuinely interested in offering a platform focused on story-oriented role play. which in my opinion SL Gor sims just -can't- do unless they dare to break away from the mold and the "standard SL Gor sim rules".


The past theme on these forums may be summarized as:
This happens in Gor. This doesn't happen in ROIAF.

Go ahead and read your own posts from a year ago or two ago.

The complaints you guys bring against Gor, shotgun-roleplayers, mamba-hybrids, lifestyling and so on, happens on the lowest tier of Gor RP sims. Those aren't places anyone sensible roleplays, they aren't representative of Gorean Roleplayers.

When you need to compare ROIAF to the worst examples of Gor, it says nothing positive for GoT roleplayers.

You don't see people here complaining about Earth RP, because they visited a Days of O sim and encountered a mix of IC/OOC. And you don't hear comments on the flexi-GoT sims (they still exist). And yet these conversations on SL Gor always return to the least representative residents of Gorean RP.

If you routinely meet these characters in Gor, it's an issue with the choices you're making.
Tantus
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 am
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Tantus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Sasi wrote:I don't do an investigation on the sim owners. I just read the rules. If the rules please me, I may join. If it happens that the sim owner doesn't respect the sim rules, I leave. Simple like that.
But still, Khalida had very decent rules, the kind of rules you could expect to find in every sim in SL Gor.
Historically, I have a high standard of sims I join. Illyros for example, fitted perfectly these standards.


Here's a tip, look at the sim owners and general population, they'll reveal the sim's real direction.

Sasi wrote:You're the one supporting specific rules protecting slave players against predators. A rule rather insulting toward the adult and mature players who play a slave, since by such a rule, they are litteraly considered like poor little fragile things who can't care well enough for themselves.

You're the one supporting the silly kennel system and you gave us, more once, your overall opinion on slave players, which is never positive (except once, which, for someone who is in SL Gor since, what, 10 years, speaks volumes...).

You're the one who expressed a prejudice toward slave players owning a sim, like the average old Gor crappy lifestyler.

I don't know why you insist on criticizing my RP partners. Must I repeat again that I don't play with snowflakes or drama idiots? I play with mature people, those who know their role.

Should I repost again your own comment where you tell how you train new additions to the red caste of your sim, which doesn't give them a lot of time to display their RP skills...?

And no, my friends never invited GE players to defend our sims. Incidentally, they never make brilliant plans to set alliances with other sims in order to OOCly isolate another just because its admins raid banned their own sim.......


I made clear, I don't "support" the kenneling scene, but I understand why high traffic sims resort to it.

And it's not prejudice, rather, an observation.

Whilst I have emphasised the importance of sparring, I likely spent 5% of my RP time on sparring during a given week. Which is still 5% longer than the average Red Caste player.

Whichever incident you may be referring to, you do realise the raid ban is an OOC resolution and not roleplaying? For the affected sims to coordinate OOC'ly too doesn't sound unusual.

Wasn't it a city called Cyprianus? Neighbouring Clearchus where you routinely had Ghost Outlaws running around.

Sasi wrote:Nor I or my RP partners label ourselves, especially not in our profiles. You accused us to be elitists. We are just RPers who can RP in respecting the basic RP rules which are the norm everywhere outside of SL Gor. Is it true that we could be seen as advanced RPers in SL Gor. Eh, after years of role-playing, we're quite experienced and we tend not to mess in doing mistakes that some Gor RPers repeat year after year. The term of advanced, anyway, unlike "elitist" has no pejorative connotation, just a way to speak of people who have experience and knowledge.


I learned to avoid certain types of people way back when I started roleplaying, it's called taking responsibility. So I don't understand how you keep on becoming involved with these terrible roleplayers, just keep your distance.

Sasi wrote:I agree with them when they phrase so well my own opinion. When you say something with which I can agree, I will support your claim as well (already did). When I disagree with Anarch, I say it (already did many times in these forums). I got some fights with Oor, too, some years ago, over other subjects. But sorry, Tantus, since the beginning of our discussions, I never expressed a different opinion than theirs, on the subject we're talking about.

Anarch didn't acknowledge a level of toxicity, he said this:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:As for ROIAF being the most toxic community? Maybe.


"maybe" is not a confirmation.

Plus, Anarch added this:
But it's also one of the few RP sims on which I've actually seen people play out unexpected defeat, and something I orchestrated myself rather recently (read: half a year ago): mass death scenes without anyone raging about it. Which for me will remain one of the most epic and most satisfying grand RP scenes I've ever witnessed.

It sounds rather like a flawless standard RP style to me, if you want my opinion....





Progress is being made when you're open to the idea of imperfection, it is the road to recovery.

A scene going right, out of many which did not, is also progress.

Sasi wrote:Is it so difficult for you, Tantus, to admit that SL Gor is far to reach such a level of maturity in RP? Sorry, your hostility toward people who just expect to be able to play their role without all the shitty IC/OOC mixing and unrealistic IC non sense they faced in SL Gor, puzzles me a litle bit... Not to mention that obviously, you never RPed a storyline with these people... But you have an opinion about the substance of their RP....


It returns to taking responsibility for where you roleplay, in the brief times I've returned to RP in Gor, I don't mix with the worst roleplayers I can find. Rather, the opposite. So excuse me if I don't have the same issues as you.
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Tantus wrote:The past theme on these forums may be summarized as:
This happens in Gor. This doesn't happen in ROIAF


If it wasn't true, to me, I wouldn't be saying it.

The main reason why I have my opinions is because I've gotten used to higher standards and once you get used to those it becomes really hard to enjoy the basic bullshit that keeps getting shoved around in SL Gor.

Maybe we're just arguing tastes here, I don't know, but I believe that the chances I'll ever be convinced differently are currently close to 0,01%.

Tantus wrote:When you need to compare ROIAF to the worst examples of Gor, it says nothing positive for GoT roleplayers.

You don't see people here complaining about Earth RP, because they visited a Days of O sim and encountered a mix of IC/OOC. And you don't hear comments on the flexi-GoT sims (they still exist). And yet these conversations on SL Gor always return to the least representative residents of Gorean RP.

If you routinely meet these characters in Gor, it's an issue with the choices you're making.


Exactly how does that work when every Gor sim opens the door to visitors and 'interacting' with each other?

In my memory the problems I mentioned are very wide-spread too. It's not like only a small minority is affected by it. It feels more like 90% of the role players in SL Gor are affected by it and they keep feeding of each other's or reinforcing each other's bad approach to RP. Even in the better gorean sims I remember regularly running into these types on an almost daily basis, but perhaps that is because of my own 'non-elitist' approach of trying to RP with as many people as possible and to be inclusive with my stories.

The approach you're suggesting sounds like it would simply result in me sitting in my house avoiding RP with strangers and maybe doing one RP scene every other two weeks or so with the 1 or 2 other people in SL Gor who are worth it to RP with at the time. An approach which you criticized earlier in this thread when you commented that sims should "recruit people who actually role play".

Sure, you can have high quality RP if you keep it to 1-on-1 Master / slave scenes, but then it entirely depends on whether or not you're satisfied with most of your RP being entirely about that. I tend to crave a little bit more adventure and even politics / conflict in my RP, and there frankly have never been any Gorean sims that enable political and warfare RP properly. I suppose adventure is easy... you can just go and swing your sword around in any gorean place as a raider, but then you inevitably will encounter lots of those types mentioned above again.

How many times does a guy have to end up capturing a big titted good looking woman only to find out their character doesn't make sense, doesn't belong in a gorean setting or that the typist behind it doesn't have the slightest understanding what RP is? :P

Return to “General RP Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron