Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Leah » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Tantus wrote:Are there legitimate roleplaying scenes outside of SL? I never did find anything substantial other than forums, where people seemed too young and inclined towards anime and vampire themes.

Um, lol, is this a genuine question? o_O

I've found excellent roleplaying scenes in games as diverse as Neverwinter Nights and World of Warcraft. Probably the most solid RP scene I'm currently involved in is in FFXIV, but there's also a sizable RP scene filtered through various factions in ESO.

Tantus wrote:Everyone is a perfect roleplayer, until they are challenged. Then you'll discover what your character is capable of and what you, as a roleplayer, are incapable of.

It isn't about being a "perfect" roleplayer? I mean, this is really basic stuff, Tantus. You are not your character. I am not my character. Our characters' actions have nothing to do with our real life feelings, because they're just characters. Is there bleed? Sure. But when you're aware of it, you should strive to minimize it and work through it.

Tantus wrote:That is exactly the situation, there are still new people entering SL Gor, players who need some guidance. If you wanted to volunteer your time as a mentor or slaver in a popular city, they could do away with the kennels. All you'd have to do is spend 12+ hours of your day online, roleplaying with new arrivals, teaching them all they need to know and tomorrow you can do it all over again.

So, I'm not allowed to point out that I really don't want people telling me where and how I have to RP unless I volunteer to mentor every new person in Gor? :roll:

Yeah, no. That's cute, Tantus, but very silly.

Tantus wrote:If this situation isn't tempting you then why would you think someone else would do so?
Just because you or Sasi know your RP, doesn't mean others do too. These systems form because they're better than having nothing at all. And for an experienced roleplayer it should be as simple to surpass as beating your way out of a paper bag.

They aren't teaching roleplay, though. You don't learn anything when you're being policed OOC for IC actions. When people are insisting on treating you OOCly in a manner based on what kind of character you portray IC, you're never going to learn to separate. Which goes back to the people who can't distinguish between the two.

And, for fuck's sake, new players show up in every genre of roleplay from time to time. Why is Gor so special that we need to have volunteers to mentor new people 12 hours a day? I mean, that's ridiculous and you know it.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:24 am

99% of slavers are lame because the average decent role player gets burned out playing babysitter for endless new slave RPers. Doing the same training RP over and over again is boring. Once people become experienced in slave training, they’re usually bored of it and move on.

The supply of these people is limited, but the supply of entitled slave rolelayers who demand to be RP trained “like it’s done in the books” is limitless.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:12 pm

First, why people always assume that new players, those who need mentorship, are slave players ?? Most sims force slave players who don't have a RP partner to play their character's owner, to join the state kennels, when they will be taught to become perfect little subs made in Gor.

What are these players offered in these structures ? Let me tell you, because me and friends, we experienced it quite a few times:

We got a thrilling scene (it's sarcasm) when IC'ly, the local slaver asks your char, some pertinent questions like "can you give me 5 names of Gorean fruits and vegetables", "what is a paga?", "what is the position of the pleasure slave?", "describe a sleen", and this, even if you told the guy, in IMs, that your character was a native and adult Gorean woman (would be like asking, in real life, to an adult, to explain what is a cat and test you to check if you know what is a pomme, a carrot and a potato...).
Second step, you're sent to some physician, who, without these slave exams, would have nothing much to RP (like what RP outside of caste work, huh?). Another thrilling scene, with a dude who only follows a process (always the same) and between two emotes of very mundane action, fills a notecard.

While this time, those new SL-Gor RPers who choose to start as a free, may wander in the sim, ruin other people's scenes with some non sense behavior (they have only read some stuff telling that basically, slaves have no right, men are dominant, FW are frigid, men have honor).

Years later, sometimes, these people read a few books. And you meet them with rping some lovey dovey family RP (in SL Gor, men have passionate love stories with FW, slaves for chores or a quick fuck, and everyone leave happily and love each other in the house). You have FW with bouncing boobs, no veil if low caste (in SL Gor, people are convinced that only high caste FW veil themselves), sometimes loose hair, wearing a dress with corset enhancing their curves, all tattooed FM, modern piercing, who are half tuchuk, half torvi, FW slavers who train pleasure slaves, and mambas who are slavers, scribes, etc....

But a slave player, even experienced, will still be invited to follow classes, her RP will be micromanaged (read what Leah told), and the right for her to choose her RP, partners, will be not accepted because you chose to play a slave, you must play with everyone and do whatever you are told to do, even to go to serve in the local tavern, if your character is owned by an assassin, who is absent, so, make yourself useful girl (experienced... No wonder why some slave players prefer after, only play with their character's owner, when confronted to all that crap).

So no, slavers in SL don't RP a slave training, as I explained. Because a real slave training, in the books, is adjusted to the personality of the slave. Plus, it's assuming that a slaver cannot play intrigues, be involved in political plots.

In most sims, the slaver is the OOC slave mentor, his role wil be to teach Gor to slave RPers. And as you have many dudes who ruin this role since years, you may assume that many slaver rpers are fine with that (after all, it's their idea of the role, and their purpose in SL Gor is often to get a breeding ground of docile "made-in-Gor" subs.)

But first, why do sims accept people who have seldom a clue about the environment they want to play in?

In most RP environments in SL, the process to join a sim is the following:

- have made yourself familiar with the RP etiquette
- read the sim rules
- studied the RP theme of the sim you want to join and read the lore
- built a plausible character, with a background, a personality, flaws, merits, skills
- Fill an application that will show you respected these steps

So, if your character doesn't fit perfectly with the theme and the lore, you will be asked to adjust or your whole application is refused.

In SL Gor, most of the time, you have only to fill a form, usually with these questions:

- Are you a Free Man, Free Woman?:
- Are you already a member of a Caste (if so, which one):
- If you are not a member of a Caste, which would you like to apply to if citizenship is granted?:
- Do you have a current or past homestone and if so what city?
- How long have you been Gorean?
- What books of the John Norman Gor series have you read?
- Do you have a companion? If so list their name (SL name):
- Do you own slaves? If so list their name (SL name) here
- Do you have a current or past homestone and if so what city?
- How much on sim RP time do you anticipate spending in ***/week?:
- What Earth Time Zone do you reside in?:

Slave players are required to fill a different form (another SL Gor oddity), where they have to post their slave papers (mensurations, eyes, hair color, type of branding, etc etc) and are often additionally asked questions like those:
- Why did you decide to be a slave on SL Gor?
- What do you believe it will take to fulfill your needs and wants as a slave in Gor?
- Please describe any training you have received as a slave (e.g. Southern, Northern, serving, dancing, etc.).
- Have you received other training (e.g. physician, scribe)

blah blah blah...

If the Gorean sims refused people who didn't seriously work on their character and study the theme and sim lore, it would not be necessary to mentor a bunch of slave players, but only to play an IC training, exactly like those in the books, without monitoring anything in OOC.

When I played a slave with my SL partner, who played her owner, at a moment, his character decided that his slave needed to be trained as a pleasure slave (she was a former high caste FW with no training other than a very basic one). We looked for a house where my char could be trained the way it was described by the books. We never found. Everywhere, -everywhere-, no slaver understood that I, the typist, had no need to be taught everything about Gor. It was like these people couldn't admit that my knowledge of Gor and its culture was very good (34 books read) that only my character needed to be trained as a pleasure slave and that no, ICly, her owner was not interested in having her going to serve to the local inn or tavern (and both of us in OOC neither). Worse, most of the training was focused on domestic chores... We really found no house with slave trainers, training the girls how to kiss, how to move gracefully, how to wear makeup, how to express her sexual needs, how to entice men. Not one!

When the slave is a main character in the books, in SL Gor, most sims don't even encourage a creative RP for slave players, don't consider them as full RPers with the same ability than free person players to contribute to a sim in terms of stories. And after, the sim owners complain because they must babysit them (but nobody will tell the typist of the local mamba slaver or physician or scribe that he needs to go back to study the Gorean environment because his character is a fuking non sense), etc etc etc.

The fact is that most Gorean sims are not selective with their players. And for the players who are very good, with a good knowledge of the Gorean environment and decent RP skills, as I said earlier, their interest and motivation tend to fade in less 6 months, which only leave the less creative and serious ones....
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:53 am

Sasi, I know slavers that RP train, including myself, but we don’t do it that often because we’ve done it often enough before.

I don’t think I’ve roleplayed in a sim like what you describe for years. Maybe ten years. You either have bad judgment about what sims you roleplay in or wander around the most newbyish sims of Gor so you can be outraged by them.
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:01 pm

Actually, I stopped RPing in SL Gor at all (only some scenes in private RP, in my place, where I build the decor). But sorry to disappoint you, Darby, but I have mostly visited, in 12 years of SL Gor, places with a decent traffic.

But I'm still a member of 2 or 3 Gor groups and I read the ads that sim owners/admins send for recruiting as well as their sim rules (when they send them). It's instructive....

Here the last pearl, from the Esalinus sim (newly opened), about their slave training:

"Each trainee will complete the training curriculum. Several courses will be provided. For the most part, the training will consist of 1 on 1 sessions with trainers. The trainee will be told who to contact. It will be up to the trainee to contact the trainer and to meet with them for the training. Once the material has been covered, the trainer will test the trainee (either then or at a later time). If the trainee passes the test, the trainer will notify the Head Slaver. Training will be provided in the following:
Basic RP
Slave Paces
Basic Gor Manners
Basic Drink & Food Serve
Basic Gor Lore
Basic City Lore
Basic Animal Lore
Basic Bath
Character Development

Physical exam

ALL of these courses must be passed before the trainee will be released from his training period. The Head Slaver will make the final decision on the trainee’s release from training.

------------------------

Slave:
Upon completion of the training period and passing of the course, the slave will be rewarded with
City silks to wear
Receive his Basic Esalinus Training Course Certificate of Completion

The slave will work in the tavern and other city areas, serving all residents and visitors to the city.

Also, this:

Now that that is out of the way we do ask you to put something in your picks or about me section. That way people know where you're from in RP. And not mistakes can happen:
-------------------------
Owned by: Kennels of Esalinus
City: Esalinus

You know what's funny? In the notice ad, the owner advertises that OOC is limited in his sim........

And as I said, when my partner and I searched a slave house where my char could be trained, in all houses we contacted, that crap was the kind of training proposed.

I seriously wonder if the people who write that crap are not just complete idiots. It's a shitty mix of IC and OOC with non sense. Certainly not role-play. I'm fairly sure that none of the players who play a free will be required to have that training about Gor lore, animals, basic RP or imposed to put in their profile that they RP in this sim... So, OOC discrimination. As usually, these people assume that slave RPers are noobs.

In fact (I was still reading the bunch of NCs sent in the ad), those playing a free are required to follow one/two hours training:
Free Person Training:
This is required for all new residents of Esalinus, regardless of your Gorean experience. The training will be presented in one 2-hour session and will include topics such as Roleplay Guidelines, Housing, Notices & group chat, etc). If you are new to Gor, we recommend that you take the 1 hour Gor Introduction training as well.

And those new to Gor who play a free are only recommended to take the introduction training. Optional....

I dream of a sim that would revalue the slave RP and makes sure the recruited slavers would not confuse IC training with OOC teaching.

And sorry, Darby, but those sims are the majority of SL Gor sims. You played a slaver? Well, feel welcome to describe us the training you played, you or your RP partners, slave trainers, whip masters....
Lacey
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy

Postby Lacey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Tantus wrote:
Sasi wrote:It is true, Tantus, that these advanced rpers (I prefer the term "advanced" over "elite") tend to form cliques.

But I swear I experienced with those people far less breaches to the RP etiquettes and IC/OOC mixing. Those who play a slave will easily emote an NPC owner, for example. They will take initiatives.

It's as I suspected, you don't actually roleplay in GoT:ROIAF yourself. Or you would have experienced the wealth of issues from 'advanced' roleplayers too. I think it's worse from an RP sim as that one, which many touted as the epitome of roleplaying but eventually collapsed from successive rounds of dramatic behaviour.

Sasi wrote:Yes, issues do happen, I remember a woman who freaked out in my IMs because she required the position of ambassador for her char, and I told that no, it would be totally unrealistic to send a female scribe as ambassador, for a war mission, when some cities would be required to bend knee to the one my character ran and provide supplies... That was a mission for high ramked warriors. The woman left the sim with her little crow.
These people, tend to be very demanding in resources (house, prims, role) and as I said, their interest for a sim seldom lasts more 6 months.

But as ex sim owner, admin, mod of a dozen of sims, these last years, the real problems regarding the mix of IC and OOC, the metagaming, godmodding, happened with these so called "old Gor" people, seldom para-rpers, who tended to forget they were not their character.

Again, you roleplay with some strange people. These are the sorts I wouldn't have welcomed into a sim I was admin'ing, because SL Gor is a small community and you get to know everyone, the lifestylers, the weirdos and those who're barely tolerable. Maybe I fit into the final category myself, it depends on who you ask, as I will always hold the title of having been banned from 20 BTB sims in a single day 8-)

These noobs today have to grief sims, all I did was roleplay.

Sasi wrote:And definitely, sensitive people are not a sim owner's problem. OOC structures for slave RPers should not exist. I, personally, find them demeaning, insulting for the typist who is normally a full grown person. Second, they encourage those who lack maturity, at taking responsibilities for their RP, their choices.
For this realson, I like the idea of state kennels with a NPC slaver. Especially when 99% of slaver RPers are just lame, unable to RP a training the way they are described in the books, mix IC and OOC.

High traffic sims have issues unique to them where everyone is being overwhelmed and burns out sooner. Maybe the slavers have the most pressure off all. I don't envy these guys their roleplaying, being surrounded by naked slaves may have sounded fun... but the reality soon hits them. It's easy to be on a forum and criticise their performance, but you need to be there to understand all of what they're facing. Grown, intelligent women aren't expected to roll around the kennel hay. Take it as a personal RP challenge for your character to break free from the kennel, I don't see why it's insulting for a slave-character to begin on the lowest rung.

A low-mid traffic sim is the most productive for characters to ply their trade with sufficient time for personal RP'ing too. It's just hard to keep your sim in the mid-range as it'll either shoot up, or collapse down.

I have always been in a mixture of "groups" in second life. People will either think I am a "noob" or "advanced role player" depending on which account I am on at the moment. Sure, some of it is from information from 8 years ago but whatever. I have never been a part of a group that used "elite" though. I have never found one on any of my days on second life Gor that referred to themselves as "elite." I don't tend to be as serious as some of the other players here make themselves out to be. Like, I won't go visit a sim, role play with people for 2 minutes, and then hop on here to log the role play and then proceed to mock it. Is that what is meant by elite? Or is it whenever you can type a nice emote out because the other person did and you are just role playing without any worries of people getting their panties in a bunch or bitching about the role play later? All group get pissy. That is not wrong.

The rest of the dribble about how slave role players are this or that and need protecting because they all seem to be asking your friends or whatever... It is all lost on my original point that these "kennels" could be optional. Join them if you want to do role play in them and feel they are needed for the sim. If I "catch" a slave on one of my characters though, then story wise she belongs to me. If she does not want to be then she is perfectly comfortable saying so since I don't act like a "gorean" in her IM box. Or same with if I have my slave character going, I should be able to have her stolen or capped or whatever without an OOC rule being broken about how all "slaves captured must go to the public kennels" where all of your burnt out "slaver" friends are trying to save all of the "Gorean slaves who want a sim to cator to them." Both could exist just fine without it being required. It even makes logical sense that way.
I should have never cut her hair!
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:38 am

Leah wrote:I've found excellent roleplaying scenes in games as diverse as Neverwinter Nights and World of Warcraft. Probably the most solid RP scene I'm currently involved in is in FFXIV, but there's also a sizable RP scene filtered through various factions in ESO.

A good friend told me she encountered some of her best RP in Guild Wars 2, so I don't doubt it's happening. I didn't find the RP scenes myself when I tried GW2, NWN or ESO. Maybe I shouldn't quit out of games in the first month after launch!

The next roleplaying I intend to do will be in Chronicles of Elyria, humanoid races, a PvP world, contested territories and trade routes all make for a potent setting. I have $200 on this game so it had better deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPhOh9UHNEg

I had searched for some info on MMORPG roleplaying and came across this Reddit thread.

blackgalmagic wrote:Not gonna lie to you to save face for the RP community fam. You gotta dig for good rp in 14. The story building, character development and FC themes in general could use some work. The emotes are def the best though.

On the surface guilds have a few popular tropes:

Taverns / Performance Guilds = Very popular but don't expect a story building environment. Moment of silence to the good themes that ended up defaulting to taverns.

Crime Ring Guilds = Only seem to portray sexual crime 9/10 times.

Generic "Far Eastern" Guilds = Self-explanatory SB FotM.

Science / Technology Guilds = Usually so technologically advanced they're lore-breaking and surpassing the Allagans.

Trade Company Guilds = Business based guilds.

The ERPers Reddit warned you about do exist and honestly do take up a reasonable amount of the population. Just need to sweep the rubble aside for gems. There are fun characters out there once you get by the generic performances from exotic courtesan embarrassments, prostitutes, and naked cat/lizard boys & girls that really don't have much of a story.

The point I was making is, in PvE Roleplay settings you aren't really testing an individual's mettle. And they will easily portray the perfect roleplayer who hasn't broken RP conventions since he has no reason to.

Put the same player in a PvP Roleplay, where he's witnessing torture, executions, enslavement and the burning of his town as part of a random, unprovoked and unplanned event. Then you'll see a different player emerging and how well he copes under emotional strain and pressure determines the type of roleplayer he is.

Serving patrons ale all day and patting one another on the back for being excellently portrayed characters is as comparable to Conflict RP, as PvE-RP servers are to PvP servers.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:25 am

Lacey wrote:The rest of the dribble about how slave role players are this or that and need protecting because they all seem to be asking your friends or whatever... It is all lost on my original point that these "kennels" could be optional. Join them if you want to do role play in them and feel they are needed for the sim. If I "catch" a slave on one of my characters though, then story wise she belongs to me. If she does not want to be then she is perfectly comfortable saying so since I don't act like a "gorean" in her IM box. Or same with if I have my slave character going, I should be able to have her stolen or capped or whatever without an OOC rule being broken about how all "slaves captured must go to the public kennels" where all of your burnt out "slaver" friends are trying to save all of the "Gorean slaves who want a sim to cator to them." Both could exist just fine without it being required. It even makes logical sense that way.

I think you're taking a selfish attitude to this situation as you're only considering your character, and not the many slave-players or the city's management. If you've helped to run a busy sim with 40-60 players online all day, then you'll understand a single person who wants to 'catch' a slave isn't even a consideration, there are 20 of them passing through a busy sim every, single, day.

What happens if you're a foreigner who then takes the slave to live on some low-traffic or Lifestyle sim that's against the slave-player's preferences. What happens if you turn out to be completely crazy and a terrible fit for the slave. What is there protecting a new player from you.

I see nothing malicious in a system which seeks to introduce new players into Gor, at a comfortable pace. They can be informed of the madness that generally exists and the pitfalls they'll likely face. And experienced roleplayers don't need to sit there, they can work their way out in an hour through a bit of invention.

When I roleplayed a Red Caste character, I would bring new additions to our Caste into the arena. It didn't matter where they came from, whether this guy was a veteran or First Sword from his former city. They would be made to spar, and spar, and spar until I was satisfied they had their shit together. To put this in perspective, there was once a tournament in GE(2009). The two guys who won the title took a victory tour through BTB, rolling sim after sim. They came to our city with a third friend when I was stood AFK, but I heard them downing Torments across the sim who was also also AFK. So when the three of them reached me, we fought, I took them down, listened to them rage, then I joined their tournament group and gave their organisers a bit of a telling off. Because, why not.

When GE sends their three best fighters at you and you take them down 3v1 is the sort of training I expected of all the men in our caste and we trained hard. So when I see people complaining that joining a kennel for some 2 hours of their life is too much, I'm like.. WTF? Gor takes some commitment, it takes some pain, but everyone has to shovel that shit for the city to work.

And yes, 'Elitism' was very much a thing in those days, you'll still find groups like Elite Roleplayers of Gor and similar. There were many sims you couldn't join unless you were an excellent emoter AND able to fight. That's an elitist group.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Tantus wrote:
Leah wrote:I've found excellent roleplaying scenes in games as diverse as Neverwinter Nights and World of Warcraft. Probably the most solid RP scene I'm currently involved in is in FFXIV, but there's also a sizable RP scene filtered through various factions in ESO.

A good friend told me she encountered some of her best RP in Guild Wars 2, so I don't doubt it's happening. I didn't find the RP scenes myself when I tried GW2, NWN or ESO. Maybe I shouldn't quit out of games in the first month after launch!

The next roleplaying I intend to do will be in Chronicles of Elyria, humanoid races, a PvP world, contested territories and trade routes all make for a potent setting. I have $200 on this game so it had better deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPhOh9UHNEg

Hmm. I may look into it.

Tantus wrote:I had searched for some info on MMORPG roleplaying and came across this Reddit thread.

blackgalmagic wrote:Not gonna lie to you to save face for the RP community fam. You gotta dig for good rp in 14. The story building, character development and FC themes in general could use some work. The emotes are def the best though.

On the surface guilds have a few popular tropes:

Taverns / Performance Guilds = Very popular but don't expect a story building environment. Moment of silence to the good themes that ended up defaulting to taverns.

Crime Ring Guilds = Only seem to portray sexual crime 9/10 times.

Generic "Far Eastern" Guilds = Self-explanatory SB FotM.

Science / Technology Guilds = Usually so technologically advanced they're lore-breaking and surpassing the Allagans.

Trade Company Guilds = Business based guilds.

The ERPers Reddit warned you about do exist and honestly do take up a reasonable amount of the population. Just need to sweep the rubble aside for gems. There are fun characters out there once you get by the generic performances from exotic courtesan embarrassments, prostitutes, and naked cat/lizard boys & girls that really don't have much of a story.

The point I was making is, in PvE Roleplay settings you aren't really testing an individual's mettle. And they will easily portray the perfect roleplayer who hasn't broken RP conventions since he has no reason to.

Put the same player in a PvP Roleplay, where he's witnessing torture, executions, enslavement and the burning of his town as part of a random, unprovoked and unplanned event. Then you'll see a different player emerging and how well he copes under emotional strain and pressure determines the type of roleplayer he is.

Serving patrons ale all day and patting one another on the back for being excellently portrayed characters is as comparable to Conflict RP, as PvE-RP servers are to PvP servers.

Er... :lol:

First, there is no requirement to be in a Free Company/Guild to obtain RP. I do not RP with my Free Company as my RP does not fit in well with their RP. I actually RP with a group of people who are from at least a dozen different FCs. We participate in a variety of storylines helmed by a single DM/Storyteller, and use a system losely based on the FATE RPG system. Dice rolls, stats, etc. It's a lot of fun. In the very first storyline I participated in with this group, my character had her world view completely shattered and ended up having to act against her own homeland. It was pretty fucking awesome and completely changed the direction my character was going.

In the second storyline I participated in, my character had people (other PCs, actually) attempting to recruit her to engage in what she viewed as treason, which set her on a path that led to her learning how to calm an unnatural storm and ended with her saving the lives of people she both hated and feared, as well as gaining respect for an NPC character she'd initially dismissed a sadistic tyrant. Which led to the third storyline, which took her north into Ishgard and forced her to question what "redemption" actually means.

This is, btw, only a fraction of what actually happened. I have had some of the best RP in my life in these storylines, frankly, better than any RP I've engaged in since Neverwinter Nights.

I've never once been to a tavern or served anyone beer.
My character is effectively Neutral Good and has never been part of a Crime Syndicate.
She's from Gridania, and has only visited Othard.
She neither likes nor trusts technology, so technology guilds are not really for her.
She's not in a Trade Company, as she works directly for the Stillglade Fane.
And I have never particularly cared if people ERP, I think the pearl-clutching about it is dumb as a box of rocks. :roll:

There's a lot of RP you're not seeing basing everything off some dude on Reddit's characterization of RP in FFXIV. Odds are, he wasn't even on one of the larger RP servers (Balmung is the largest, but Mateus has a fairly good population, though I have never played there).

You don't need active PVP to have conflict. You need mature adults.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:06 am

Tantus wrote:
What happens if you're a foreigner who then takes the slave to live on some low-traffic or Lifestyle sim that's against the slave-player's preferences. What happens if you turn out to be completely crazy and a terrible fit for the slave. What is there protecting a new player from you.

I see nothing malicious in a system which seeks to introduce new players into Gor, at a comfortable pace. They can be informed of the madness that generally exists and the pitfalls they'll likely face. And experienced roleplayers don't need to sit there, they can work their way out in an hour through a bit of invention.

I'm sure Lacey will not disagree too much with me... But what happens is simple. Behind the slave, you may expect there is an adult woman who is very capable of taking care for herself without being protected as if she were a little girl.
You just need to state in your OOC sim rules that any role player, whatever their role, is free to refuse to be taken to another sim if she doesn't enjoy the RP with her captor, and may TP back at any time, if not happy with the RP she is given in the other sim, or don't agree with their rules. Simple like that.

Tantus wrote:When I roleplayed a Red Caste character, I would bring new additions to our Caste into the arena. It didn't matter where they came from, whether this guy was a veteran or First Sword from his former city. They would be made to spar, and spar, and spar until I was satisfied they had their shit together. To put this in perspective, there was once a tournament in GE(2009). The two guys who won the title took a victory tour through BTB, rolling sim after sim. They came to our city with a third friend when I was stood AFK, but I heard them downing Torments across the sim who was also also AFK. So when the three of them reached me, we fought, I took them down, listened to them rage, then I joined their tournament group and gave their organisers a bit of a telling off. Because, why not.

When GE sends their three best fighters at you and you take them down 3v1 is the sort of training I expected of all the men in our caste and we trained hard. So when I see people complaining that joining a kennel for some 2 hours of their life is too much, I'm like.. WTF? Gor takes some commitment, it takes some pain, but everyone has to shovel that shit for the city to work.

It's a good training if your sim focus more on raids and tournaments, and not too much on political intrigues, conflicts, long term storylines.... Because when you have the new warriors spar and spar, when do they find time to just, RP?
Most raids are just a non sense.. I remember when a small town like Laura took over Ar (I don't remember what version of it) in a raid... How realistic was it?
In the books, a raid upon Ar is made of a few tarnsmen, they take time to capture some women, then, flee as soon as Arian Tarnsmen start chasing them. Simple like that. But in SL Gor, a raid organized in the purpose of capturing women is just not a valid reason.

And 2 hours of boring non sense RP (cf. example I gave in my previous posts) in a kennel, are just a waste of time.

Tantus wrote:And yes, 'Elitism' was very much a thing in those days, you'll still find groups like Elite Roleplayers of Gor and similar. There were many sims you couldn't join unless you were an excellent emoter AND able to fight. That's an elitist group.

Yes, some sims have standards, they ask you to prove you can type 5 lines to figure an action properly emoted. And so what? Is it a crime, in role play, for a sim, to fix some standards and build a community where people's RP style will match well? Able to fight? The Gorean sims with high standards tend to favor text combats, so, your metered combat skills seldom matter...

Return to “General RP Discussions”