New to Gor in general.

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
NiNiMi
SL Name: Sarah Yi
Role: Slave
Home Stone: None!
AkA: Sarah Yi

New to Gor in general.

Postby NiNiMi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 pm

What's good people. I'm some rando who's new to Gor, and was curious if anybody was interested in teaching a new person. I'm interested in Gor SL as well, so I'd be nice if someone who was interested in teaching me stuff could also show me some SL stuff. Assuming this is how this stuff works.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: New to Gor in general.

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 am

Hiya, new person! We're generally just people who are currently or used to be roleplaying characters in a Gor setting in Second Life, usually loosely based on the set of Sci Fi/Fantasy Gor book series by John Norman. If you're wanting info on the setting itself, best thing to do would be to hit Ebay and snag a book or two, they're generally pretty cheap- most of the ones I've gotten have run less than 10 bucks. There's also a few websites that can TL:DR things for you...though many of the ones I used to pull up have closed so lemme see what I can find for you on that:

-This forum (has lots of info/discussions on various subjects, most of which seems to devolve into arguements, sadly but still- lots of info.)

-The Gorean Cave: https://www.thegoreancave.com/index.php?offset=360

-Woman of Gor: http://www.womanofgor.com/

-The Annals of Gor: http://www.moonproductions.com/Fantasy/ ... smain.html

-Gorean Chronicles (supposedly the only one John Norman actually endorses): http://www.gorchronicles.com/

Those are a few to get you started. As for finding a place to play- it depends on what sort of experience you're looking for. If you're looking for a place to play in Second Life, there's a new Ar sim that just opened (should be able to see the thread about it) that you can search for once you log into Second Life. Otherwise, just download and log into Second Life and search for "Gor" and you'll have several options pop up to check out and see if anyone's up for helping you out. Most people are pretty nice if you IM them and politely ask for help. I don't play in SL Gor anymore so won't be much help in that respect but hope you find what you're looking for. :D

Oh, just a caveat- some folks take this sort of thing a wee bit too seriously, and I would advise you to be cautious and take the usual precautions when dealing with people online (don't give out personal info, don't let someone boss you around 'out of character'- unless that's what you're looking for, and don't let rude people ruffle your feathers.) Protect yourself, even if (especially if) you're looking for more of a 'lifestyle' experience. Some people can be real asshats to others and some people can be really manipulative and skeezy, so keep that in mind and watch out for it. But for every asshat, there's generally 3-4 nice people, so be picky about who you give your time and attention to. Good luck, and hope this helps!
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:03 am

Just fake it til you make it. Everyone else does.

Remember that your character might not know much more about Gor than you do. They might be a slave who knows the basics of being a slave but not much else.

So you can start by learning a few slave positions and commands like 'nadu' and then just "play yourself." In other words, react to things like you, the person behind the keyboard, would if you were a slave.

At some point you might develop your character in a different way, so that they start to have a different personality to yours, different goals and, obviously, a differently life story, but you don't need to do that at first.

I've always enjoyed introducing new people to Gorean RP so send me an IM if you want any help.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm

DarbyDollinger wrote:Just fake it til you make it. Everyone else does.

Remember that your character might not know much more about Gor than you do. They might be a slave who knows the basics of being a slave but not much else.

So you can start by learning a few slave positions and commands like 'nadu' and then just "play yourself." In other words, react to things like you, the person behind the keyboard, would if you were a slave.

At some point you might develop your character in a different way, so that they start to have a different personality to yours, different goals and, obviously, a differently life story, but you don't need to do that at first.

I've always enjoyed introducing new people to Gorean RP so send me an IM if you want any help.

Erm, if her character is native of Gor, of course, she knows perfectly the Gorean culture and society, its customs and traditions... If she wants to play a barbarian, she should know as well some basics, for she builds a plausible character.
Would be nice if so many people in SL Gor stopped assuming you can start your RP without knowing anything about the lore and the environment....
DarbyDollinger

Postby DarbyDollinger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 am

Nah. Most people start without knowing much and just wing it, copying people around them and doing a bit of research as they go. That's a perfectly valid way to start RPing as far as I'm concerned.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 am

The role that would make the most sense for someone who is 'ignorant' about the culture around them probably would be a low caste, peasant type character. They don't have to be smart, or clever (on the contrary usually). It's the only role I can imagine where the character remains believable even if they're clueless.

Winging it doesn't work for all roles. It also depends on the community, in SL Gor most people seem to wing it so when someone is clueless they'll just fit in with the rest of the circus. :lol:
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:28 pm

DarbyDollinger wrote:Nah. Most people start without knowing much and just wing it, copying people around them and doing a bit of research as they go. That's a perfectly valid way to start RPing as far as I'm concerned.

And they create snowflake characters, behave in a non sense way. But well, since SL Gor is filled with snowflakes, as Anarch said, yes, they fit in with the rest of the circus....
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 pm

Anyone new should start by reading some 'SL Gorean' roleplay logs and see if it's what they want.

I costed up a new male avatar at 15,000L ($60)
A female avatar may be 10,000L? (Absent aeros/weapons, availability of complete outfits).

Before investing into the avatar, it's worth asking whether SL Gorean roleplay is for you. Almost no one is content with the depth or quality of roleplay there.

I agree with Darby, so long as a person understands how to roleplay they can dive straight into Gor. Observe a little, RP a little, whilst reading up on Gor. Non-Gorean RPrs think everyone in Gor is anal about it, and they'll need to read 20 books and a shit ton of NCs before starting. I tell them to just go for it, it's how most of everyone started.
DarbyDollinger

Postby DarbyDollinger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 am

Yup. The point of it is to create the opposite of a snow flake: a minimalist, completely unexceptional character. As Anarch says, a peasant or a pot girl would be the best sort of roles for this. You could spend five minutes researching a Gorean peasant and you’d know pretty much all you need to know to play a convincing character.

It’s not that those Gorean characters wouldn’t know anything about Gor and its traditions. It’s about the fact that the player behind the keyboard can get by for a while without revealing their lack of knowledge if they’re careful.

Most of the good role players in Gor started that way and picked up knowledge as they went along. I was a slaver for a year or so before I decided to get serious about learning the role.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Yup, peasant would be the best. Barbarian (which is what a lot of girls play when they come to Gor brand new is the absolute worst) you would think it would make the most sense, but in truth a Barbarian has to ooc know a LOT about Gor in order to really rp the barbarian role properly. They would have to know that they don't speak the same language, that the gravity is different, that they are no longer on earth, that the animals are different, that the plants, foods, and drink are different. They can't really react realistically without know such.

A peasant can fake there way through a lot.

P.S. HI DARBY, TANTUS, ANARACH!!!!!
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.

Return to “General RP Discussions”