Tor- Jewel of the Tahari

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Tor- Jewel of the Tahari

Postby Oor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Lacey wrote:They are piling up with lots of activity after all.

You jest, but many of the people who would historically be in Gor are in different genres. Ones where they don't have to guess what the inhabitants of a given sim mean by "role play".
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Lacey wrote:For example, Jacqui might consider herself to be a lifestyler who follows such rules but if she types up emotes of giving someone a bath is it role play or something else?

I'm not being pedantic here, I think that would just be called emoting and not roleplay.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Tor, its admins, owners, have always claimed they were not a lifestyle sim... But all lifestyle sims pretend they are only role-play places, anyway....

Personally, I would like to see more sims with rules like this new one, which recently opened, Khalida. This sim has role play rules. Not even specific bullshit rules for assassins. No slave rules, no FW rules, like Tor and other lame places which mix IC and OOC.

Refreshing...
Lacey
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy

Postby Lacey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Sasi wrote:Tor, its admins, owners, have always claimed they were not a lifestyle sim... But all lifestyle sims pretend they are only role-play places, anyway....

Personally, I would like to see more sims with rules like this new one, which recently opened, Khalida. This sim has role play rules. Not even specific bullshit rules for assassins. No slave rules, no FW rules, like Tor and other lame places which mix IC and OOC.

Refreshing...

Every time a sim like that opens, I barely have a character dipping her toes in the water before the OOC culture either changes or it all disappears over night (whether prims or actual people leaving in their massive role play groups). I mean, I hope it works out. I will probably be there one day too if I can ever get away from school and basic real life at this point. That, and if people actually realize it is a collaborative activity and actually come outside their bubbles of people to role play with me, which is another pill whenever it comes to trying to find decent role play in SL Gor.

Another trend is that sims like you just typed about, not having lots of bull and such they don't seem to become popular. I don't know why but they do not. It is like that one that had that application that you had to write about your character and all that was standalone, I never found more than you and maybe one other person ever on the thing when I went to go check. SL Gor is what it is. I don't think the crowd that it entertains wants to be what this forum discusses nor can it be.

Tantus wrote:
Lacey wrote:For example, Jacqui might consider herself to be a lifestyler who follows such rules but if she types up emotes of giving someone a bath is it role play or something else?

I'm not being pedantic here, I think that would just be called emoting and not roleplay.

So, role play is only ever done by people who do not have any set of rules elsewhere? I mean, Jacqui is still not giving anyone a bath she is exchanging story writing with someone. Is the person who says they are dominant or submissive RL not role playing too? Even further, if a firefighter comes home to login to SL to write about fire fighting in one of those city role play sims, is that person role playing or emoting? I'm not trying to be a pain. Honestly, I am just trying to make a point. I just don't see how we can really dictate something so subjective.

Oor wrote:
Lacey wrote:They are piling up with lots of activity after all.

You jest, but many of the people who would historically be in Gor are in different genres. Ones where they don't have to guess what the inhabitants of a given sim mean by "role play".

See above. SL Gor is what it is. We are the odd ones out. All you have to do is take a look on where the traffic is to realize this. Gor in general is historically like the complaints in this thread.
I should have never cut her hair!
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Lacey wrote:
Sasi wrote:Tor, its admins, owners, have always claimed they were not a lifestyle sim... But all lifestyle sims pretend they are only role-play places, anyway....

Refreshing...

Another trend is that sims like you just typed about, not having lots of bull and such they don't seem to become popular. I don't know why but they do not. It is like that one that had that application that you had to write about your character and all that was standalone, I never found more than you and maybe one other person ever on the thing when I went to go check. SL Gor is what it is. I don't think the crowd that it entertains wants to be what this forum discusses nor can it be.

I think that just is because role players actually tend to -leave- SL Gor. And everyone else who stays behind do it because they got used to SL Gor and don't understand any approach to storylines or role play slightly outside their comfort zone.

The people who actually want to role play stories and characters are few and far in between, not just in SL but in the entire world at large, and RP in itself is a very fragile and difficult activity, which depends on the goodwill of flawed creatures (myself included) to keep stories going, even when your own character is having a rough time. Goodwill in the sense of not trying to see abuse and cheating or gaming the rules everywhere, which becomes difficult when so many people are exemplary at doing exactly that.

Proper role play requires a level of trust and mutual understanding which you'll only find amongst really good friends. But I would argue that all this stumbling and fumbling about merely -trying- to enjoy proper role play even with people you do not trust or understand is part of the fun and experience.

Return to “General RP Discussions”