RP Terms and Misconceptions

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: RP Terms and Misconceptions

Postby Leah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Qingwen wrote:
Leah wrote:
Qingwen wrote:Yeah SL Gor RP is a mess. Try Conan Exiles - shoot, loot, kidnap, and build with no prim limits.
I'm enjoying it more than is probably healthy :D

Having everything you build have a countdown script is turning the servers into jelly, though. xD

I usually play on a friend's server and he has buildings set as permanent. Official server's worked smooth for me too so far. I think everything set down there is wiped weekly.

My friends ended up getting their own server, and we installed two mods to basically add more RP things and fix certain things on the servers. We put in Age of Calamitous and Pippi's Mod. So much better than the base game. It splits chat into tabs for each channel.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 am

Leah wrote:We put in Age of Calamitous and Pippi's Mod. So much better than the base game. It splits chat into tabs for each channel.

Same! hm, are you my neighbour? :hrm:
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 am

Qingwen wrote:I usually play on a friend's server and he has buildings set as permanent. Official server's worked smooth for me too so far. I think everything set down there is wiped weekly.

How stable are the servers? I had some fun with Life is Feudal, but their private servers go up and down like BTB sims, with all the internal dramas too. And when it closes, you lose everything. The one time we played seriously, I was keeping my medieval-wife in a barn, so she played the stricken role everytime we had visitors until a support group of local women started bringing her gifts. It's the quickest way we found to get horses and armour!

But the grind in LiF is real, once a server closes it's hard to start over.
Qingwen

Postby Qingwen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Tantus wrote:
Qingwen wrote:I usually play on a friend's server and he has buildings set as permanent. Official server's worked smooth for me too so far. I think everything set down there is wiped weekly.

How stable are the servers? I had some fun with Life is Feudal, but their private servers go up and down like BTB sims, with all the internal dramas too. And when it closes, you lose everything. The one time we played seriously, I was keeping my medieval-wife in a barn, so she played the stricken role everytime we had visitors until a support group of local women started bringing her gifts. It's the quickest way we found to get horses and armour!

But the grind in LiF is real, once a server closes it's hard to start over.

It's still early access so little changes happen all the time, but in terms of the server being around, yep, will be there for next 6 mos at least assuming the game itself is.

If anyone's interested to check it out, add those 2 mods (Age of Calamitous and Pippi's Mod) and server ID is 216.244.87.253:37915. It's open to public. My character name is Xev, feel free to visit my camp and ogle my dancing girl :D

ps. It's PVE at the moment but server admin plans to add a PVP zone later.
Qingwen

Postby Qingwen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 pm

oh and sorry for the thread hijack.. I probly should have made a new Conan one :P
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am

Totes saving that info. Harlequin and I might pop in and say hi one 'o these days. :D
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Qingwen wrote:
Leah wrote:We put in Age of Calamitous and Pippi's Mod. So much better than the base game. It splits chat into tabs for each channel.

Same! hm, are you my neighbour? :hrm:

I don't think so! I'm playing with some friends from ESO. :) 5.62.121.193:27015 is the Server info. It's open to the public, as well! We're not entirely set for RP, still building locales at the moment.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Sasi wrote:
► Show Spoiler

In principle I agree with what you're saying, a 24H death seems inconsequential against the permanent end. And you can sideline roleplayers you feel are wasting your time, you can even respect the RP Limits of others and try to get along. But why, why should you modify your Gorean experience for others?

Every individual out there(and not only in Gor) has an expectation of how roleplay should be, thanks to an endless list of RP Limits and 'Roleplayer Approved' Regulations, they can enforce their personal-preferences ontop of a Sim's Laws.

► Show Spoiler

In pracitice the regulation of roleplay with these fancy pre-requisites intended to enhance the experience have the effect of flushing suspense down the shitter. No one does anything anymore, when I have been on raids I stand aside reading through IMs because even if we lose, thanks to my preoccupation, it doesn't matter. Nothing happens anymore.

During 2007-08, if we were defending and someone in our group was stood aside roleplaying or IM'ing, I raged and I would tell them to leave the group. Because losing raids had real consequences, you couldn't say 'Hold on lads, I'm a Real Roleplayer and I have these profiled prerequisites before that can happen to my character'. No, you had no protections at all and whatever was roleplayed, you had to respond to it.

Upto 2008, I heard the same story from several women of how they were captured and it was all so messed up they were crying at the keyboard, but still going. At first I was a little sceptical and I'd tell them they should have logged out.

And this is the important point, you couldn't log, you couldn't leave. By entering SL Gor, you were committing yourself to the worst roleplaying environment in SL, you will be tortured, mutilated, collared, randomly killed and that's all in your first month. When you add a layer of laws and regulations, it comes at the cost of immersion as there's nothing to worry about anymore.

I used to emote in ways I haven't managed since, and I'm going to speculate the heightened sense of danger fires up different parts of the brain, your vocabulary, your writing, the tension you weave into an emote is happening on another level.

SL Gor will not change again, it'll never return to the lawless mayhem from a decade ago. Which had its awful aspects too, but people were free to be the character they wanted, they roleplayed whatever came to mind. If I had a captive and threatened to eat her flesh, she responded realistically in the ways her character would, it wan't an IM telling me I'm sick, in violation of her RP Limits and her family are telling her to TP out. These people only made it into Gor after it was tamed by regulation into a family-friendly environment. Funnily enough you didn't have families pre-BTB, there may have been the odd son, or brother, but that was the extent of it. Your group/city was your family, every other week you fought for survival and that builds the bonds people don't have now.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 am

Tantus wrote:
In principle I agree with what you're saying, a 24H death seems inconsequential against the permanent end. And you can sideline roleplayers you feel are wasting your time, you can even respect the RP Limits of others and try to get along. But why, why should you modify your Gorean experience for others?

Every individual out there(and not only in Gor) has an expectation of how roleplay should be, thanks to an endless list of RP Limits and 'Roleplayer Approved' Regulations, they can enforce their personal-preferences ontop of a Sim's Laws.

[spoil]Want to murder someone?
Sim Laws say Yes. Avatar profile says No.
Fulfil the pre-requisite of a deep and lengthy storyline with my character, over a period no shorter than 2 weeks(RL) and at least 40 hours of paragraph roleplay. All the usual IC info-gathering applies.

I want to kill this person because they're annoying, not because I want to subject myself to 40 fucking hours of roleplaying with them!

I don't kill annoying people, I ignore them. If someone in a scene, just start acting silly, in a way making no IC sense, I will either exit the scene with an IC excuse or just send an IM telling "Sorry the scene doesn't make sense, I can't participate in" And I walk off. I have for principle, now, to check people's profile. It speaks volumes, often, about the kind of RP you can expect. Because I don't break my Gorean experience for silly people. I don't abide by other people's silly limits. I just don't RP them.

Tantus wrote:Want to abduct someone?
This is a Stage 4 Roleplay Scenario, this avatar will not engage in a Stage 4 scene until the pre-requisites of a Stage 1+2 or 3 Roleplay have been achieved within one week prior to advancing to a Stage 4.

Most people accept this kind of RP, especially women (men in SL GOr tend to think that a capture, a collar, are only for women...). The challenge is to keep them. Personnally I will accept to be abducted, but if your sim has shitty rules, if you collar my char then expect she will go spend her time RPing chores, I will simply exit the scene and tell the captor to replace me by a NPC.

Tantus wrote:Want to roleplay X-Rated scenes?
Unless you're planning to get married/companioned, OOC partnered, skype-buddied and commit yourself to a longterm relationship, you're barking up the wrong tree, buddy.

As always... Years ago, some guy, in a street, grabbed my character, dragged her to a corner (in the best godmodding way without attempting anything and give me a chance to react), then, rezzed a pose ball and started emoting the rape... I FTB the scene, he walked off.

Tantus wrote:In pracitice the regulation of roleplay with these fancy pre-requisites intended to enhance the experience have the effect of flushing suspense down the shitter. No one does anything anymore, when I have been on raids I stand aside reading through IMs because even if we lose, thanks to my preoccupation, it doesn't matter. Nothing happens anymore.

Some people abuse with the pre-requisites they impose. You may just ignore those with silly limits, it will save your time and energy. But in the other part, other abuse in killing, capturing, with shitty RP. It works in both senses.
I take all consequences for my character, I accept a permanent collar for my FW char if the RP leds to this situation, I accept the consequences for my IC actions. I even accepted once, a traitor brand on the cheek bone of one of my FW char, prior to her enslavement by her guardian (that was that or being thrown to a sleen....).
But I will likely stop a scene where I am bored. I'm rather a para-rper, I enjoy IC conflict, IC dramas, the harsh aspects of Gor. I like RP with people whose expectations match mine and who have like me, a decent grasp of the Gorean culture. RP is about collaboration, you're not there to serve your RP partner's fun, but to share it.

Tantus wrote:During 2007-08, if we were defending and someone in our group was stood aside roleplaying or IM'ing, I raged and I would tell them to leave the group. Because losing raids had real consequences, you couldn't say 'Hold on lads, I'm a Real Roleplayer and I have these profiled prerequisites before that can happen to my character'. No, you had no protections at all and whatever was roleplayed, you had to respond to it.

Upto 2008, I heard the same story from several women of how they were captured and it was all so messed up they were crying at the keyboard, but still going. At first I was a little sceptical and I'd tell them they should have logged out.

And this is the important point, you couldn't log, you couldn't leave. By entering SL Gor, you were committing yourself to the worst roleplaying environment in SL, you will be tortured, mutilated, collared, randomly killed and that's all in your first month. When you add a layer of laws and regulations, it comes at the cost of immersion as there's nothing to worry about anymore.

I used to emote in ways I haven't managed since, and I'm going to speculate the heightened sense of danger fires up different parts of the brain, your vocabulary, your writing, the tension you weave into an emote is happening on another level.

SL Gor will not change again, it'll never return to the lawless mayhem from a decade ago. Which had its awful aspects too, but people were free to be the character they wanted, they roleplayed whatever came to mind. If I had a captive and threatened to eat her flesh, she responded realistically in the ways her character would, it wan't an IM telling me I'm sick, in violation of her RP Limits and her family are telling her to TP out. These people only made it into Gor after it was tamed by regulation into a family-friendly environment. Funnily enough you didn't have families pre-BTB, there may have been the odd son, or brother, but that was the extent of it. Your group/city was your family, every other week you fought for survival and that builds the bonds people don't have now.

Raiding, combat, have still consequences, just, most raiders want only to win and are not willing, when they lose, to enjoy the RP they may get... Same for political plots... Too many people will sort out a political intrigue in a few days, in order to win (and they will use means that flirt with metagamings, when they don't simply use powergaming because they made their character so powerful, that there is nothing you can do... I experienced it 2 years ago... Godmodding, metagaming, powergaming, from the sim owner... A whole story totally scrapped. In SL Gor, people need to give a chance to the story and accept they can lose, with their consequences. Losing can brought an intensive and emotional RP too, I experienced it quite a few times.

I remember also this 2007/2008 period... You, indeed, never refused a capture... But unlike you were rescued, you could be stuck for hours in a cage, until you paid a ransom in $SL...

As for the family-friendly environment, I deeply dislike it. Just lovey dovey. And these families are so heavily made of a mix of castes and home stones, that it's not even BTB. In the books, an enslaved woman was not freed by her family... She could even be a slave in her own family, endure abuses and scorn until they sell her. It speaks volumes about Goreans and familial love...

But there are still many people who will RP out all consequences happening to their character in the game. Their only limit will be the quality and creativity of the RP you will give them.
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:25 am

Sasi wrote:Raiding, combat, have still consequences, just, most raiders want only to win and are not willing, when they lose, to enjoy the RP they may get... Same for political plots... Too many people will sort out a political intrigue in a few days, in order to win (and they will use means that flirt with metagamings, when they don't simply use powergaming because they made their character so powerful, that there is nothing you can do... I experienced it 2 years ago... Godmodding, metagaming, powergaming, from the sim owner... A whole story totally scrapped. In SL Gor, people need to give a chance to the story and accept they can lose, with their consequences. Losing can brought an intensive and emotional RP too, I experienced it quite a few times.

That's when a random execution of an annoying person is entirely appropriate :D

BTB breeds these characters who're Strong as a Mountain, Tall as a Kur, Ancient as the Winds, Voice of Thunder, etc etc. There're characters roleplaying with impunity all over Gor, as they're protected by sim laws and silly limits. So why shouldn't you roleplay someone who can get away with anything as you know, that's exactly what you can do now.

Sasi wrote:I remember also this 2007/2008 period... You, indeed, never refused a capture... But unlike you were rescued, you could be stuck for hours in a cage, until you paid a ransom in $SL...

But there are still many people who will RP out all consequences happening to their character in the game. Their only limit will be the quality and creativity of the RP you will give them.

It would have been a different experience for women. I was never into the L$ side of it, which co-existed with those who just roleplayed. Being captured were learning experiences for me, realizing I'd raided with the wrong guys(Raiding panther tribes with city-warriors was just inviting a collar!) and aligning myself with groups who fought to win. But you would still lose raids and whatever happened, happens, there are no brakes on that roleplay.

In an 'individual' sense there are those few who still roleplay to the full. But the environment around them doesn't allow for it, IC-family, friends, the sim, will all be pressuring them to leave the roleplay and return home. And here's the other trouble with capture roleplaying post-BTB, women will typically transition way too early. When you enjoyed a character because they're challenging, creative and witty, then she shifts into something you weren't prepared for... Is why male-companions disappear and relationships falter in a week.

Encounters in capture-roleplaying are the same, it begins when you're making a commitment of your evenings ahead. When schedules are meeting and you're feeling good to roleplay something freaky(the sort of roleplay that's rightly illegal in RL) the worst thing that happens is your RP partner... breaks...

What's your plan for tomorrow evening now? It won't be roleplaying.

Friends have shared similar experiences, the abysmal lifespan of BTB relationships conveys it too. There's very little return in planning for a serious roleplay. It's not a fault of the female roleplayer, it's just the way Gor became when it transitioned from an environment where you tested your morals and the very limits your RP-persona, to the family-friendly breeding ground it became.

And you can trace it all back to the first people who started saying, "We want special considerations, we are Perma-Death, we won't be Randomly Killed. Because we're better roleplayers than you." The only Perma-Death that ever occurred was to an exciting and volatile environment.

From there it all snowballed down, with every other special-roleplayer adding personal limits of their own, "We won't do this, because we're better than that." Until this grid-wide transition took place from IC consequences being a thing, to becoming a happy badge people pin on their profiles. And I do mean grid-wide as special-cases are everywhere you look.

Return to “General RP Discussions”