BTB Legal Roleplay 2017

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Re: BTB Legal Roleplay 2017

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:24 am

Photos of Imperial Ar and Valkyrie Roleplay below! And a story to share... But first, some honorable mentions. I'm awed by some of the top BtB sims in SL Gor that hit the sweet spot with both high quality roleplay and the highest traffic stats including Port Kar, Helheim, and Imperial Ar. They're doing it right, are successful at what they do, and I hope they're around for a long while because we really do need a few good and dedicated by the book sims. Lately, I've been involved with roleplay with Imperial Ar and am very impressed with them and was totally surprised to find out how many Valkyrie are embedded in Ar! Some Valks play various roles such as scribes, physicians and one of ours left Valkyrie to become a lady slaver for Ar. Imperial Ar reached out to Valkyrie to arrange roleplay scenarios and shared events Including trade, sharing information, and ooc events like a warrior run where they chase the Valkyrie (we're unarmed) through the streets of Ar and try to capture us. And yes, ic they do raid us from time to time. I think finding common ground to stir up activities and get people more engaged is healthy for Gor, and for Second Life because Gor in my opinion is one of the most active rp platforms on the grid and a lot of money flows from us into the LL market. I wouldn't want to try to change BtB Imperial Ar or any such sim, but we can use an interface like a GUI for different operating systems (or something like a docking collar for two different spaceships to mate like Russian and American with different shaped hardware). But I've chattered enough... Here's a story in pictures:

1. How did I end up 2000 pasangs south of the Northern Forest in this cage in Imperial Ar? The Valkyrie was raided by a large force of warriors from Ar and with only a few of us in camp at the time, they caught us by surprise at a weak moment. There were just too many (we have no raid ratio) and we were overwhelmed. When they heard shouting for me by my title, "en" and "chieftess," the jig was up and I was tossed on the ship and taken back to Ar. This is me realizing how far away I am from home locked in a cage in a massive, heavily defended city by skilled warriors behind high stone walls. There is no plausible way for panthers to launch a rescue raid on a city. Not going to happen. This is me realizing I'm screwed.
https://puu.sh/u3FQV/f18a1c284a.jpg

2. But let's back up a bit to before yours truly, your humble narrator, ended up in the cage... This warrior that took me home to the top floor of his cylinder, a stone tower abode overlooking the entire city, had questions for me. And was curious why, as a panther, I didn't hiss, snarl, and growl like other panthers he captured did. My response was, should I? Would it help if I did? Those southern panthers he claimed to have rounded up in the past are savages as far as I'm concerned. And so began hours of long, para-rp between us and he was an excellent and patient roleplayer! I loved the nuances and pathways we took in our shared paragraph roleplay. We learned each others story, what motivated us to do what we do... I came away knowing this man is strong, very harsh (but not cruel he said), and dangerous... I already knew from my unfortunate experience with him and his men attacking me that he was an excellent fighter.
https://puu.sh/u3GcR/c6e2836632.jpg

3. To our surprise, a city green knocked and entered. I had been bleeding a little from my wounds, and the green followed a small trail of blood spots to his home. She watched from an ally as I was pulled at the end of the rope through the narrow streets. She was an ex Valkyrie.
https://puu.sh/u3GqV/17c787dcf4.jpg

4. It is only after she mentions something hopeful, including a private exam to ensure I'm clean, that I realize I can get my message out, and so drop my guard and emote a slight flash of enthusiasm across my face, and he becomes suspicious. There will be no exam till the head physician returns, but I turn away from the warrior to face her and mouth the word "help," and she gives a nod of acknowledgement.
https://puu.sh/u3GhV/f52b466c3e.jpg

5. Later Imperial Ar comes under attack from BtB Helheim. My friend had slipped in character word of my capture to friends in there. One of the warriors in the Helheim raid had made love to me months earlier, wanted me to have his babies, start a dynasty together. I politely declined. But he's still going to try and get me. They launch two attacks on Ar but both campaigns fail. The scarlet warriors of Ar are excellent fighter and the city is too strongly fortified.
https://puu.sh/u3GzN/a0649e4f4a.jpg

5b. Insert: A few months previous to my capture in Ar, this same Helheim Warrior had watched me dance in a frenzy of wild abandonment in the Valkyrie Village longhall. I was unarmed. He was heavily armed and a big man. After the music faded, he said I will have you and slung me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carried me to his summer house on the Valkyrie Bay. We spent hours in roleplay together, an afternoon of intense lovemaking. He had plenty of motivation to attack Ar.
https://puu.sh/u3KPH/1ce448c124.jpg

6. Following the failed attacks, my captor and the head physician spent some time questioning me. Again, very good roleplayers! We got to the point where we were so exhausted I'm sure not just me but they too were nodding off into their keyboards!
https://puu.sh/u3GFZ/9b298b16c9.jpg

Nearly a week later, a warrior of Ar led me out of the city and to my freedom. Shhh... There was something to be gained and the promise of lucrative trade. But that's another story! I don't think a lot of people in Ar know I'm Danika, some do, some of their leaders do, some admins... they know me as Dagny. They know I'm a chieftess. Coming up next, I'll post some pictures from the warrior run in Imperial Ar where the Valkyrie run like wild and crazy women with the red caste chasing us through the streets with their swords drawn. It was fun for everyone! Imperial Ar, I have nothing but praise for you! Watch for my next post ;)
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Lacey
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy

Postby Lacey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Tantus wrote:Gorums has always been the 'disappointed' bitching about the state of Gor!

Lacey wrote:Yes. Leave them on their own sims doing their stuff and support your local "not like that" sim. Every time someone makes one, it is either empty or full of a bunch of babies arguing about whether or not others are doing it right and how much better they are than everyone else. Seems like the :loOsEr: attitude cannot be lost even when on a sim with like minded individuals. You are not going to taunt people into role playing the way you think they should. They are not going to remove second life from their computers nor are they going to go play elsewhere; therefore there is no need for the behavior.

With this attitude there would still be Serveries, Scriberies, Chillas, etc.

I agree people should be left to roleplay how they want. Personally I'm not fond of Political and Family roleplay sims because after the initial rush, it's going to turn into groups of women creating shitloads of IC drama and shovelling it onto the handful of men in play. The men get buried beneath the dirt and that's the last you'll see of them. Then there will only be groups of women and nothing else.

In ways I prefer lighter roleplay sims where I can do my own RP and the city just acts as a backdrop. You can ignore most oddities you encounter and get on with your personal RP. I can deal with barechested scribes and physicians in biker boots and I can deal with Tuchuk scars on Torvies. I've even learned to deal with emotes like "Rumbling, booming, thundering timbre of his deep baritone...". Whatever. I credit all abnormal male characterizations to interloping GBKs. :ugeek:

When it's crossing lines, Lacey, it's not about taunting people for how they roleplay. It's saying they know they've crossed those lines by violating their own sim's roleplaying standards. Even the Campus Legal Courses have a strong emphasis on IC/OOC separation. All of which becomes meaningless when people see these trials, imitate them, and make it a standard practice in BTB.

You can accept everything that happens, then BTB will become GE, and GE will become this opening clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrYzwS63E4U

All of those things still exist. You just don't notice it anymore because either knew not to teleport to the sim or took off running when you saw it. On some of these, who really cares? I mean really. Let us for instance define servery shall we?

serv·er·y
ˈsərvərē/
nounBRITISH
a counter, service hatch, or room from which meals are served. - my source is google.

Okay so the slave went and got stuff from a counter where meals are served or a room...

To scribe means to write or a profession of copying documents. The word scribery does not exist in the english language but again I don't see it as a big huge deal.

Then the chilla. Also, a word that does not exist. I am not really sure how having an ice cube in your tea is going to ruin role playing Gor. No one ever describes it as an electric appliance. The sci fi part of Gor is incredibly lacking anyway. I remember the imperial Ar that had the high bridges from tower to tower being viewed as "GE" because of pulley elevators and an advanced infirmary.

What was irritating about these words was whenever you said "library" or "kitchen" people would correct you. The issue was at the time, everyone was telling people who were playing slaves how to play. Kajira always did very long poetic serves and bonds of the north were expected to one line to show they were fast. Everyone got frustrated and started onlinism note cards which created a new boss, now everyone must role play very vague on any details. There must not be any poems. A simple light role play scene is called a "tea party." We are still where we were those years ago. It is an obsession or a frustrated imagination that even has us discussing how to role play.

The Gorean Campus (once again) lists right in their rules that they mix IC and OOC. It says something along the lines of "Gorean dress and customs expected." They are a pretend school on how to play a pretend game which is supposed to discuss books; therefore, they are mixing the two and there is no falsehoods about them separating. You stated before this is not about them mixing but about the quality of teaching. I have told you already that if it is that big a deal then you should make a school. Make some protest signs and go tell them how to play for all I care. :teehee: I promise you though your fight will not get any results except for you being frusterated. I just sort of play with who I want sort of like your "backdrop" idea. You could always do politics sims and learn how to say "no thanks" too.
I should have never cut her hair!
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:32 pm

That RP in Imperial State of Ar is definitely the reason why I keep telling that BTB means only "no female warrior allowed"... If you take it literally, so, with real "by the books" standards, and worse, with a few expectations for a realist setting, you are going to be disappointed....
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Lacey wrote:What was irritating about these words was whenever you said "library" or "kitchen" people would correct you. The issue was at the time, everyone was telling people who were playing slaves how to play. Kajira always did very long poetic serves and bonds of the north were expected to one line to show they were fast. Everyone got frustrated and started onlinism note cards which created a new boss, now everyone must role play very vague on any details. There must not be any poems. A simple light role play scene is called a "tea party." We are still where we were those years ago. It is an obsession or a frustrated imagination that even has us discussing how to role play.

It's a fair point that someone will criticise no matter how you roleplay. People should just be left to roleplay how they want and that would work best if there were Lifestyle sims, Gorean RP sims and GE raid sims. Because Lifestylers and BTB roleplayers never separated, there's always been confusion over what is acceptable on a Gorean sim.

So the Campus may be a mix of IC/OOC, which I would consider being a 'Lifestyle' sim. But the trial in question was hosted on a BTB Roleplay sim, being Landa. They have an obligation to keep their roleplay IC otherwise they can label themselves a Lifestyle Gorean sim, and there will be no further issues.

Funnily enough I don't roleplay on "Heavy Para-RP" sims as they tend to be just as OOC as Lifestyle sims(Slaves are ooc girlfriends, companions are ooc wives, most men are GBKs, ooc micromanagement from mods interferes with actual roleplay - it's not a case of what you roleplay but who you're flirting with OOC to get ahead IC'ly. And I won't even start on 'Families', I would offend 90% of Gor when I start on how ridiculous family roleplay has become!) . A regular BTB Roleplay sim has the sort of players I can connect with, people who're just online to have some fun and then logout again.

When I have been roleplaying I'll visit just about any sim. Including your last port and some years prior, I did some RP at a sim where you and Borchoff were settled. So I haven't limited myself to any specific crowd whilst I've been more interested in RP'ing with different types of people.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Tantus wrote:
Lacey wrote:What was irritating about these words was whenever you said "library" or "kitchen" people would correct you. The issue was at the time, everyone was telling people who were playing slaves how to play. Kajira always did very long poetic serves and bonds of the north were expected to one line to show they were fast. Everyone got frustrated and started onlinism note cards which created a new boss, now everyone must role play very vague on any details. There must not be any poems. A simple light role play scene is called a "tea party." We are still where we were those years ago. It is an obsession or a frustrated imagination that even has us discussing how to role play.

It's a fair point that someone will criticise no matter how you roleplay. People should just be left to roleplay how they want and that would work best if there were Lifestyle sims, Gorean RP sims and GE raid sims. Because Lifestylers and BTB roleplayers never separated, there's always been confusion over what is acceptable on a Gorean sim.

So the Campus may be a mix of IC/OOC, which I would consider being a 'Lifestyle' sim. But the trial in question was hosted on a BTB Roleplay sim, being Landa. They have an obligation to keep their roleplay IC otherwise they can label themselves a Lifestyle Gorean sim, and there will be no further issues.

Funnily enough I don't roleplay on "Heavy Para-RP" sims as they tend to be just as OOC as Lifestyle sims(Slaves are ooc girlfriends, companions are ooc wives, most men are GBKs, ooc micromanagement from mods interferes with actual roleplay - it's not a case of what you roleplay but who you're flirting with OOC to get ahead IC'ly. And I won't even start on 'Families', I would offend 90% of Gor when I start on how ridiculous family roleplay has become!) . A regular BTB Roleplay sim has the sort of players I can connect with, people who're just online to have some fun and then logout again.

When I have been roleplaying I'll visit just about any sim. Including your last port and some years prior, I did some RP at a sim where you and Borchoff were settled. So I haven't limited myself to any specific crowd whilst I've been more interested in RP'ing with different types of people.

I agree with you on many points, especially regarding the "family" RP which is usually mostly a bunch of non sense, and not BTB. But I don't mind if RPers have OOC relationships, if there are GBKs (they often depict a male character better than most real men) etc. What matters to me is the IC / OOC separation. If your OOC relationship, your RL personality interferes with your RP' there, I have a serious issue.

Also, the RP should not be modded, unless it goes against the genre, sim lore or become a non sense (reason for which I consider that an OOC application where people would have to introduce their character (in details) should always be required... You have less RP issues when you select your player base.

Else, I visited Pompeii, RP sim, yesterday and took the rules... And when you read that, it speaks volumes about Gorean RPers and their reputation:

5) No prostration, kneeling or any form of submission like Gorean or BDSM is allowed. This is an Ancient Roman Sim, not a Gorean Sim

ALLOWED as long as it is part of the RP and both parts agree with it OOCly beforehand (No abuse! Play as Romans behaved and not as Goreans or BDSM people do!):
1) Sex
2) Public nudity
3) Violence
4) Death
Lacey
SL Name: Lacey arentire
Caste: The White Ghost
Role: Haunting
Home Stone: Where Dead Goreans go.
Owner: Deka
AkA: Crazy

Postby Lacey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Tantus wrote:

If there was anything I learned OOC admining a sim, it is that you can say you are IC/OOC separated RP sim until you are blue in the face and you will still have some idiot changing that vibe for you. You say something and chaos begins. People do not respect the rules and you learn to pick your battles. Torcadino was a dice option first sim and there was people who left upon being told that that were there for months prior. They didn't even bother to read the rules, had fun on that sim, and still left upon the rule being enforced. It was by far the most fun I have ever had though. We were always up to something. The second go around of Torcadino didn't really have me much involved though, I got caught up in real life and it was more Phebi's baby that time around.

I can role play with just about anyone myself. Shotgun posts with someone posting as if my character is frozen is my only peeve. I had a lot of friends over the years, some of them people on this board wouldn't give a chance. Mostly laid back people. Why, I have a friend whose typing is not the best. She is disabled. She could play just about anything though and was always a good laugh. People picked at her until she left sims though. Bunch of bullies with nothing else better to do I suppose.

Far as family RP goes, I think people wanted to have a legit reason to carry around their friends as one sim closed and another opened. The idea of putting them together or against each other is not a bad one either. It helps with management of sims as well because most families has someone who is the OOC leader sort of and they could keep everyone in check. Sometimes they do come up with some ridiculous scenarios to make everyone fit with exactly what role they want and such too though. The problem in all these types of things is people on Gor want to do whatever they want. The don't want to change character to be serious in a group nor do they even want to put on certain aspects of the costume. Any indication that you want them to is "controlling."

Borchoff and I was at a few sims starting in one called Midas so many years ago. Notable ones from there was one I cannot seem to name now but was fun. Port Kar was about our last stretch. I tried to be a physician in Port Kar, that is a role I'll never try again. It was fun while we were there though. Eventually everyone either left Gor or they left second life. We pop on once in awhile to type "are you alive?" in the IM boxes. Thank goodness everyone is. It might not have been Sasi approved role play but it was fun. I am sad now thinking about this all!
I should have never cut her hair!
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Lacey wrote:If there was anything I learned OOC admining a sim, it is that you can say you are IC/OOC separated RP sim until you are blue in the face and you will still have some idiot changing that vibe for you. You say something and chaos begins. People do not respect the rules and you learn to pick your battles. Torcadino was a dice option first sim and there was people who left upon being told that that were there for months prior. They didn't even bother to read the rules, had fun on that sim, and still left upon the rule being enforced.

People take their way of doing things with them. And some of them make a point of not taking in the general idea, rules and vibe of a sim. "Oh, yes, this is a role-play sim? Cool. But I am Lord Whatsabubble, hard as steel, but a lover, not a fighter, strict but protective and I always make sure that my lil' ones get all the latest RLV collars my 50 lindens can buy and that all wear my personal brand. I know all the important brand makers!"

And then they become entrenched in a sim, maybe take the spot left by another person that understood the vision of the sim owner, because he had to spend less time in SL. Which makes the owner or remaining admin careful, 'picking their battles'. And soon, the people that came for the original vision shake their head and leave for greener pastures. And when that happens, the sim owner/admin will finally feel compelled to enforce the sim's rules and vision, and confront this type of player. Who will then get all upset and mad (rejection! Baaah!) and take his ball and go home, after setting off a drama bomb, followed by some friend/slaves/companions, one of whom will also try to detonate another drama bomb. After that, some people will leave because of all the drama. And then you have to pick up again, hoping the remainder won't leave because there are too few people left. The way of SL.

It is a tricky thing, I guess. On the one hand, as a sim owner/admin, you want people. Including people that are active, do things, make a mark, and you don't want to push them away for small things, because they don't really play 100% nice with the theme, idea of the sim, the rules and such. And you don't want to make them feel like you are always telling them how to play. They are adults, after all. On the other hand, if you want something for your sim and you don't start out by enforcing it consistently, even if that means confronting the ones that will not take kindly to you doing so, you are going to have a mess like that on your hand, quickly. I have seen it before. I am sure many here have.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:18 am

On the "family group" RP thing - This isn't unique to Gor RP. Cliques left unchecked strangle the life out of every genre of RP sim, especially when one faction starts to hold the lion's share of the balance of power, and new players face a choice of either conforming to this group's wishes or being ignored or driven out.

Sim owners can't fully control it; it's ultimately in the hands of the playerbase to make the sim fun and inclusive for each other. But sim owners can set up the scenario so the power balance doesn't get radically skewed, eg rival factions can exist as NPC backup if there are not as many players to form a sizeable group. That's not such a heavy handed rule, I think, it just gives people a starting point.

I probably wandered off topic here. Thread anarchy..
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Yeah, pretty much everything Glaucon and Qinwen said. I've seen it happen over and over again in sims of every genre. Get a group of people in that are awful roleplayers and rude OOC and if they get entrenched for whatever reason (sim owner reluctant to enforce rules and lose players, sim staff buddies with said toxic group, etc.) they choke the life out of things till they get bored/offended and move on, usually leaving the sim to close because they've run off all the other players.

It's not easy owning/running a sim, that's for sure. Thankless job, costs too much, and you get insults and abuse no matter how you try to run things, and sometimes, no matter how hard you try, things still go off the rails and there's nothing you can do to save it.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:55 pm

So much with Tamar and Qingwen said. And when these cliques that take of a sim do what they do, then hide in their houses when it's all said and done? It's sim death. :(

Return to “General RP Discussions”