Help! I have a date!

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Help! I have a date!

Postby Tantus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Qingwen wrote:this! :D

Well done. Here is Glaucon making his move into the latest tech of 2017, and you single handedly seduced him with a system head, a system body, and a pre-mesh beard. That probably has flexi strands from 2007!

Now you get to be the Thread Villain Qingwen, and everyone can rage on you until you adapt your views, young lady!!

eligiblejam wrote:
  • Niramyth's Enzo: This is the quintessential bodybuilder you see everywhere. I personally don't like the bulky style (and for this body, bulky is an understatement). I changed my shape in every possible way, but the slimmer the shape got, the more bizarre the body looked. Another problem with this body is that they don't allow 3rd party designers to create skins. It was still in beta when I bought it, so maybe things have changed. They don't offer a demo version, so buy it at your own risk.

Slink and Niramyth both released updates in the past month. It's the 'final' update for Niramyth and in a surprise move, their heads are now Bento rigged.

The thing about Niramyth bodies is, they use higher resolution textures. Whilst every other mesh body is still using the low res skins from system avatars. I'm going to speculate here and say, the next big update in 2 years time will be every creator releasing higher res skins, compatible with a new Omega HD applier system. And 2 years after, the hype will be around HDR skins.

Content creators are holding back on higher res skins now, so they can make everyone buy new skins and bodies all over again, in the future.

Also, if you're using alpha pre-sets, an easier way to get around those limits are by using the Outfits folder.

This is all it takes;
  • Copy your Mesh body parts and clothes into a new folder
  • Wear the items and make your outfits with all the necessary alpha adjustments
  • Detach any mesh body parts which aren't needed
  • Delete the scripts from the body parts and clothing
  • CTRL+O opens the Appearance tab, Save the outfit as XXXXXXX
  • Now you can open your Outfits folder, right click on XXXXXXX and "Replace Outfit" for an immediate change.

This method gives you the minimum script use and there's no messing around with alpha presets.
Last edited by Tantus on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:38 pm

So, I tried Signature/Gianni, SLINK, Eve&Adam's Adam and I already knew TMP. Maybe it was that I sort-of was okay with the default skin, that it kinda matched my existing skin, but I went for Adam.

Tried a few heads. Fine heads. But the usual issue. Can't see anything really wrong with my system head. Not supposed to be the prettiest face of all time, anyway.

Added a little thing here and there (a ding here, a dong there).

I left it as I was struggling to put together a half-decent outfit (non-Gor to start). Sure, mesh is so much better than system layers and prims and all, but... such limited choice.

The beard update I'll keep for last.
BlueConover
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover

Postby BlueConover » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:12 pm

try
::ZED::
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Oh! I nearly forgot:

Have fun on your date! :D
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
eligiblejam
SL Name: Eligiblejam Resident
AkA: Romulus Agrippa

Postby eligiblejam » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Tantus wrote:Also, if you're using alpha pre-sets, an easier way to get around those limits are by using the Outfits folder.

This is all it takes;
  • Copy your Mesh body parts and clothes into a new folder
  • Wear the items and make your outfits with all the necessary alpha adjustments
  • Detach any mesh body parts which aren't needed
  • Delete the scripts from the body parts and clothing
  • CTRL+O opens the Appearance tab, Save the outfit as XXXXXXX
  • Now you can open your Outfits folder, right click on XXXXXXX and "Replace Outfit" for an immediate change.

This method gives you the minimum script use and there's no messing around with alpha presets.

Thanks. I will definitely use this tip for TMP saved outfits. Though I think this could make a mesh body upgrade more time-consuming, as you would need to reproduce these configurations on each saved outfit that contains the old version of the body.
Purist, not elitist.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:12 am

@Glaucon, don't forget your Mama-Allpa, the most important HUD on any sim!

Aeros are set to release Bento balls, nothing could impress your date more than pulsating testicles.

eligiblejam wrote:Thanks. I will definitely use this tip for TMP saved outfits. Though I think this could make a mesh body upgrade more time-consuming, as you would need to reproduce these configurations on each saved outfit that contains the old version of the body.

It takes a while longer to set up, but the payoff is you can switch between Gor to Earth outfits and back again in a single click. The Outfit folders don't contain any items, they are a list of links to every item you were wearing at the time of creation.

If your weapon updates or you want to switch something else, there's no need to make a new outfit. Attach the weapon and position it for the avatar. Detach the weapon, then right-click and copy it. In your Outfit folders, delete the links to the old weapon. then right-click the folder and "paste as a link" the updated weapon. That's all it takes to update the outfit.

Some rigged clothes need you to modify your shape, to correct the shoulder width and abdomen, so you save these custom shapes along with the outfit. It's another reason Outfits are more convenient than adjusting alphas and body shapes each time you switch clothes.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:35 am

Blinks. Wait! Waaaaiiiit a minute. That beard and those chest hairs are ....impressive. :egrin:

Name time and place and I shall be there :D
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:39 pm

I will. As soon as I have my chest-hair combed.

Pfff. As always, this mesh outfit fitting isn't easy. Problem is that outfits don't play nice with each other. It really SHOULD be possible to wear a shirt and a coat over it, right? But somehow, no one ever thought of the idea that, maybe, shirt sleeves should be small enough to fit under the sleeves of a coat, or that they should provide a 'sleeveless' version, just for this purpose.

I guess that makes sense, since most male avatars in SL don't seem to be wearing shirts in any case, all rolling like Anthony Kiedis.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Tantus wrote:Aeros are set to release Bento balls, nothing could impress your date more than pulsating testicles.

Bento balls?

@Manon, ikr? gives ya something to hold on to ;)
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
eligiblejam
SL Name: Eligiblejam Resident
AkA: Romulus Agrippa

Postby eligiblejam » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:13 am

Tantus wrote:It takes a while longer to set up, but the payoff is you can switch between Gor to Earth outfits and back again in a single click. The Outfit folders don't contain any items, they are a list of links to every item you were wearing at the time of creation.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Outfits folder and its uses. But if I understood you correctly, you were advocating for using saved outfits as a more effective alternative to pre-built alpha settings in the mesh body HUD (i.e. having a different configuration of the mesh body for each saved outfit). In other words, I can have different versions of my mesh body (copied on a separate folder, as you mentioned before), each of them hiding different body parts and then pasted as a linked item into the corresponding saved outfit. This would prevent me from having to use the HUD to show/hide my forearms if I'm wearing an outfit with short sleeves and pants, or my upper legs for an outfit with a kilt and long sleeves.

If that was the idea, I just thought it would painful to reproduce all those configurations each time the mesh body gets an update (as painful as saved outfits I might have).
Purist, not elitist.

Return to “General RP Discussions”