Help! I have a date!

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Glaucon

Help! I have a date!

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:05 pm

So, it seems I will need to update ol' Glaucon right quick.

Of course, he is still on a system body, having been irrelevant for a good while, now. Another avatar of mine is still using TMP (because it seemed like the best option at the time), but I am not sure what would be best for poor old Glaucon. I prefer system heads, still, unless something bento comes along that will really allow me something personalized. Male avi that doesn't look like he is a teenager or lifts weights 12 hours per day.

Tips from all you fashionistas welcome.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Help! I have a date!

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Glaucon wrote:So, it seems I will need to update ol' Glaucon right quick.

Of course, he is still on a system body, having been irrelevant for a good while, now. Another avatar of mine is still using TMP (because it seemed like the best option at the time), but I am not sure what would be best for poor old Glaucon. I prefer system heads, still, unless something bento comes along that will really allow me something personalized. Male avi that doesn't look like he is a teenager or lifts weights 12 hours per day.

Tips from all you fashionistas welcome.

The mesh SLink bod, with the right shape, can look about what you said there. It's what I consider to be the middling ground between TMP/Signature's teenager/femboi bod and Aesthetic's ripped bod. Of course I'll stress, with any of the mesh bodies, shape and skin will make a huge difference. Snag demos to make sure.

As for shape, skin, hair, clothes, accessories:

Shape- make your own if you can.

Skin- this is tough for me. A huge majority of the popular guy skins in SL look very femme-ish to me, so I tend to personally like the few that look uber masculine, which may not be to your tastes so I'm going to defer to someone else's advice on this one. LOL

Hair- Drot, Exile, Dura, Redgrave seem to be perennial faves. Depends on what style you're looking for really.

Clothes- Stitched, Fatewear, The Fallen, Iroas, Forge are the ones to come to mind right away. I know there are more- check out a few sales/gatcha's for new designers, and again, depends on what look you're going for. Fatewear has a new Bento cloak that's pretty awesome.

Accessories- Forge and LR Weapons have the prettiest weapons I've noticed lately, to my personal taste. Dunno what, if any, accessories your character will need but The Marketplace is actually good for searching for specific items, I have found several little known stores with great stuff from time to time just perusing randomly.

Have fun! If you luck out at the sales and find a few things to your taste, you can maybe put a good av you like together for cheap.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm not sure on the morality of using an alt for your date, a real woman would appreciate your company for who you are, system body and all.

Slink and Signature(Gianni) bodies both look very similar to me, maybe I need to see some stripped avatars to appreciate the subtleties between them. These are the bodies I would try if building a new av, both are Omega compatible. Slink has the edge in support, almost all rigged footwear and gloves are compatible with Slink hands and feet. But Gianni is meant to look better overall? I would take a demo for each, build your av with it, and decide on a purchase at the end.

The Vista Bento hands are available for SLink, in their alpha version. What woman could resist Bento hands with flexi fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KvEEDxqc6w

As posted elsewhere, only Gaeline and Akeruka have Bento heads out yet. Akeruka have several models, but aren't omega compatible. Gaeline are, which makes them the more versatile for personalising your av.

After settling on an Omega compatible Head and Body, you can use the same Omega applier on both. I haven't shopped for Third Party skins myself, Clef de Peau and Tableau Vivant seem popular and the Marketplace makes it easy to find some demos. But so many of these skins are plain and smooth, with very light shading, which is fine for female and femboi avs. But as Tamar said above, detailed skins give a more natural look and it will be the defining factor for the avatar. So it's worth demo'ing skins from every store to get it right.

There are half a dozen Aeros models to choose from, all you need to know is, Darius is the latest, and Nemo is the oldest and sculpted. I don't even want to explain how I know this, but the following is not suitable for a female reader! ...Other than being new and Mesh, Darius and Axiom come with coloured condoms and have a streak effect -addon- you can activate at different settings. I wouldn't discount the older models, I may switch back yet.

For hair, no.match (viking resident) Exile and Action Incubator have a good selection of Mesh styles.

Formal wear. There's a reason almost everyone wears the Deadwool suits and their shoes/boots, just don't use the beards! Far too common. Gabriel's a worthy alternative for suits too.

Casual wear. Cold Ash is worth a look, their jeans have found a place in all of my urban outfits.

Tamar Luminos wrote:Clothes- Stitched, Fatewear, The Fallen, Iroas, Forge are the ones to come to mind right away. I know there are more- check out a few sales/gatcha's for new designers, and again, depends on what look you're going for. Fatewear has a new Bento cloak that's pretty awesome.

Are we sure Glaucon's secret date is in Gor? And not an Earth sim, where gentlemen take their women.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Tantus wrote:There are half a dozen Aeros models to choose from, all you need to know is, Darius is the latest, and Nemo is the oldest and sculpted. I don't even want to explain how I know this, but the following is not suitable for a female reader! ...Other than being new and Mesh, Darius and Axiom come with coloured condoms and have a streak effect -addon- you can activate at different settings. I wouldn't discount the older models, I may switch back yet.

Scarred for life.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
BlueConover
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Adam Body is pretty nifty
Samarai heads look prtty good and their skin applies look nice and pretty cheap to match
Deadwool, Senzafine, Jomo some offers for clothing
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Ah, not using the alt. Which is why I need to update so badly.

And thanks, all. It is appreciated. Some studying required. Looks like it is going to take more than an hour or two to bring Glaucon to 2017.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Epos body is good, too. Omega compatible AFAIK.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 pm

this! :D

"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Qingwen wrote:this! :D

That is just so...me.
eligiblejam
SL Name: Eligiblejam Resident
AkA: Romulus Agrippa

Postby eligiblejam » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:17 am

Regarding mesh bodies, here what I learned after spending a fair amount of time (and $L) when I upgraded.

• The body's HUD is a HUGE factor. Once you get over the initial learning curve, you'll want a HUD that allows you to quickly hide/show parts of your body or manage multiple layers easily (tattoo, underwear, etc.).
  • For some bodies, the system skeleton and the mesh skeleton are not always aligned. This means that (a) you'll have to adjust your hover position a lot, and (b) any fitmesh items will look misaligned (pants that are too short, shoes too low).
  • Having a good assortment of creators who design for your mesh body is also key.

Having said that, these are the ones I have tried:

• Niramyth's Enzo: This is the quintessential bodybuilder you see everywhere. I personally don't like the bulky style (and for this body, bulky is an understatement). I changed my shape in every possible way, but the slimmer the shape got, the more bizarre the body looked. Another problem with this body is that they don't allow 3rd party designers to create skins. It was still in beta when I bought it, so maybe things have changed. They don't offer a demo version, so buy it at your own risk.
  • SLink: I was so encouraged by this one, but it has a couple of shortcomings in my opinion. The slices of their alpha layer are designed in a strange pattern. If you are wearing a vest or any other shirt that shows part of your chest, making that part of your chest visible also makes visible your shoulders, which works badly for vests if your shoulders clip through it. The second problem is about the limbs. The hands and feet are separate attachments. So hiding your feet when you wear shoes or boots is accomplished by detaching the feet (instead of hiding them using the alpha layer). Think about all the times you will put your shoes on and off and determine whether this is a show-stopper for you.
  • TMP: Horrible HUD. Terrible! There are no presets to hide/show parts of your body. You can save certain configurations, but they are all named "1", "2", "3" and so on. So good luck remembering if #5 was "no lower arms/only half calves". Adding skins is also a pain. You don't "apply" then like you do wiht Omega-based models, for example. You first add them to the HUD, and then apply them. The only small problem is that skins are loaded into the HUD without a proper naming convention and dumped in some random order with the ones already there. So good luck trying to find out where your precious 7 Deadly Skins model ended up among the other 24 options. As if that weren't enough, it's the most expensive mesh body and it doesn't offer a demo.
  • Signature's Gianni: Now onto better things. I haven't bought this one yet, but tried their demo. It's Omega-based, so you're guaranteed a nice selection of accessories. Unlike all other omega models, this one doesn't need a separate relay; it's pre-built into the body. The HUD is really good too.
  • Eve & Adam's Adam: This is the one I use for now. Their HUD is well designed. It supports Omega appliers. But it has a couple of problems. This is the body with the biggest gaps between system and mesh skeletons. Wearing fitmesh pants and shoes at the same time is out of the question. There is also small problem with a certain part of the body that I won't mention here (not the one you think, but it's in the same vicinity :silent: ). I talked to people in group chats and even the designer herself but she said she can't fix this, as it would require all other creators who design for this body to change their products. Ping me in-world if you want the details.

Now, back to more important matters. Regarding RP the "purism" versus RP "tolerance" raging debate, I think ...
Purist, not elitist.

Return to “General RP Discussions”