When are we, exactly?

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Glaucon

Re: When are we, exactly?

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 pm

I agree that that has always been the general consensus. And what Ghost said. It is 'un-SL-Gor-like' to really think about it.

But Anarch has a point. It may add a little to RP to 'fill in' this particular blank. Only, if one does that, to me, it does make the most sense to make the time-setting 'now', as in 'contemporary earth Gor'.

Then again, being too precise about these things can muck stuff up too. There is obviously not a one-on-one match between RP time and real time. RP can take much longer than real time. Or it can speed things up way faster (by glossing over travel times and such). One RP story might branch off from another, run on a different real time speed, and then reconnect with the other branch. And that is not even counting the problems you can run into with cross-sim RP, if sims start picking their own time-setting. Like many things RP, you need to be willing to 'make it fit' and gloss over the inconsistencies.

A focus on time settings and accurate timelines will provide those that want to be anal about these things with lots of reasons to disqualify RP they don't like or the RP of people they don't like.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Glaucon wrote:A focus on time settings and accurate timelines will provide those that want to be anal about these things with lots of reasons to disqualify RP they don't like or the RP of people they don't like.

That is a very one-sided view. What if people want to role play a scene or storyline that takes place at a particular point in time in the gorean novels? What if they simply want to have a framework of events to work towards throughout their role play?

Intersim RP is only a concern for those who want to chase after that piece of disappointing bait.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Not one sided at all. I see the point you made. Like I said, I can see the value.

The thing is: in the 'wrong hands', this can provide loads of ammunition to those that get all anal about these things. Or worse, the perfect excuse to try to shut down the RP of others over time-line politicking. And I have seen that time-line politicking first hand. Not in SL Gor, but elsewhere.

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Intersim RP is only a concern for those who want to chase after that piece of disappointing bait.

You used to be an advocate for it. I guess you gave up on it.

More importantly, you are thinking of raiding, wars, abductions and such, in an SL Gor context. But cross-sim RP is a lot more than that. There is no need for it to have anything with cities/sims or groups at all. Lots of RP-ers (of all styles) play characters and RP stories out across various sims. A movie usually doesn't take place on one single location, either. So, people go to this sim for X, and to that sim for Y, so they can play out their story with appropriate backdrops. If the local sim 'rulers' set up roadblocks to people doing that RP, they either circumvent those or find another sim with what they need for their RP.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Glaucon wrote: So, people go to this sim for X, and to that sim for Y, so they can play out their story with appropriate backdrops. If the local sim 'rulers' set up roadblocks to people doing that RP, they either circumvent those or find another sim with what they need for their RP.

We just put out the appropriate backdrops in sky boxes when it's relevant or requested.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

That is awfully nice of you. But... that seems a bit weird.

If some RPers usually playing in an urban sim want to do some 'meet the drug cartel'-RP that will take them to a farm where a plane can land, then onto a plane, and then hiking through a jungle, they are not going to ask the sim owner of that urban RP sim to set all that up in a sky-box. They will go and find some appropriate sims and take the RP there. There are hundreds of nicely made sims and publicly accessible sims out there that are just suited for that purpose.

I get that there is this 'we must keep everyone on our sim' thing going on with RP sims, in SL. Even sims with rules against 'taking the RP elsewhere', with zealous moderators even IM-ing people with 'You both TP-ed right after each other. I must inform you that it is not allowed to take people to another sim. We don't allow poaching."

But enlightened RP-ers don't give a fuck about that sort of idiocy, of course. They will do the RP they want to do, where they want to do it.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:02 pm

I'll follow the sim lore if there is some, and I like it as detailed as possible. It's a springboard for my storyline, and I find it more helpful than restrictive. I respect the sim owner's wishes for setting, as I would expect people to adhere to mine if I was footing the bill for a sim.

I don't think about Earth parallel at all anymore. The one and only (and very brief) time I played an Earth girl, she was from the 11thC.
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 am

Glaucon wrote:If some RPers usually playing in an urban sim want to do some 'meet the drug cartel'-RP that will take them to a farm where a plane can land, then onto a plane, and then hiking through a jungle, they are not going to ask the sim owner of that urban RP sim to set all that up in a sky-box. They will go and find some appropriate sims and take the RP there. There are hundreds of nicely made sims and publicly accessible sims out there that are just suited for that purpose.

Having some experience in doing stuff like that, chances are they'll have a very hard time finding exactly what they're looking for to begin with, and it's especially not relevant to gorean RP in BtB Gor, where the choices usually are between: Forest, Village and Walled City.

If I knew I had an admin that could setup scenes and backdrops, I'd prefer the admin approach over having to roam far and wide to find something that /could somewhat/ match what I was hoping for, and often with little success.

The last thing I remember looking for, for my RP was a 'mountainous area backdrop, with a view over a forest'. Sounds simple right? Didn't find it after hopping through several dozen sims in SL.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:33 am

Glaucon wrote:If some RPers usually playing in an urban sim want to do some 'meet the drug cartel'-RP that will take them to a farm where a plane can land, then onto a plane, and then hiking through a jungle, they are not going to ask the sim owner of that urban RP sim to set all that up in a sky-box. They will go and find some appropriate sims and take the RP there.

Will they?

In my experience, outside of "connected" Gor, it's pretty rare for people to leave the RP environment they usually play in and the sim they usually play on and go elsewhere to do a scene. More likely, in my experience - which is not inconsiderable within (current) SL role play venues - is that people will either role play those scenes in IM and "pretend" they're on the right backdrop, or they'll make do with what exists.

Glaucon wrote:I get that there is this 'we must keep everyone on our sim' thing going on with RP sims, in SL.

This is an incredibly cynical way of viewing it. It's more like "these people play here every day, how about we cater the sim to their needs a little?"

And there's nothing about it that's "going on" in the sense that it's something new. People who make RP sims have always wanted people to play on them. This should not be news.

Glaucon wrote:Even sims with rules against 'taking the RP elsewhere',

That's pretty much every standalone RP sim - which is pretty much every sim outside SL Gor. Occasionally, moderation is required for RP - and that becomes nigh on impossible if half of a story has taken place off sim or in people's IMs, since attempting to enforce some sort of jurisdiction on other sims (as SL Gor mods and admins regularly try to do) is a ridiculous overreach.

Glaucon wrote:with zealous moderators even IM-ing people with 'You both TP-ed right after each other. I must inform you that it is not allowed to take people to another sim. We don't allow poaching."

Well there's no accounting for idiots. Sim moderators and administrators trying to dictate what people get up to away from their sims - up to and including rules about "No dual grouping" and such - are a particularly awful "quirk" of SL Gor.

Glaucon wrote:But enlightened RP-ers don't give a fuck about that sort of idiocy, of course. They will do the RP they want to do, where they want to do it.

I'm not sure our view of what an "enlightened" RPer would look like overlap much, but in this regard they do. Sort of. While it's right to not give a shit what sim owners/admins think about what you get up to when you're not on their sim, what seems "weird" to me is to traipse around SL hoping to find a somewhat-fitting backdrop when you have people who are invested in your story willing to create the specific backdrop you want.

Each to their own.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:23 am

@ Anarch: A bit of a simplified view of what a good backdrop for RP might be. Surely, it is more than those three things. And a well-made sim will typically beats a quickly set-up sky-box backdrop. Of course, it might be more than just the visuals, people might actually use the sim (with the lore and maybe the presence of others) as part of their RP.

@ Oor:

Oor wrote:
Glaucon wrote:If some RPers usually playing in an urban sim want to do some 'meet the drug cartel'-RP that will take them to a farm where a plane can land, then onto a plane, and then hiking through a jungle, they are not going to ask the sim owner of that urban RP sim to set all that up in a sky-box. They will go and find some appropriate sims and take the RP there.

Will they?

In my experience, outside of "connected" Gor, it's pretty rare for people to leave the RP environment they usually play in and the sim they usually play on and go elsewhere to do a scene. More likely, in my experience - which is not inconsiderable within (current) SL role play venues - is that people will either role play those scenes in IM and "pretend" they're on the right backdrop, or they'll make do with what exists.

Your experience may be 'not inconsiderable', but maybe you haven't run into people that engage in RP stories that run across sims? Seems strange, because there really are plenty of those (especially among more experienced RPers, many of which do their own thing with friends rather than joining/communities). Sure, some may do part of that in text RP. But if you want to go to the beach in RP, you might as well go to one of the many beaches in SL, for example. This really is pretty common.

Oor wrote:Glaucon wrote:I get that there is this 'we must keep everyone on our sim' thing going on with RP sims, in SL.

This is an incredibly cynical way of viewing it. It's more like "these people play here every day, how about we cater the sim to their needs a little?"And there's nothing about it that's "going on" in the sense that it's something new. People who make RP sims have always wanted people to play on them. This should not be news.

Cynical? How? Has nothing to do with 'catering' to the regulars vs. the occasional visitors or anything like that, really. Funny how simply stating a fact (that you acknowledge) is supposed to be cynical.

Rules against 'taking people elsewhere' are common outside of Gor, but not standard, fortunately. Ridiculous rules, really, if you assume that your players are adults that can make their own decisions. And Gor sims usually have these weird rules about other sims, yes. They make some sort of sense, since they assume cross-sim RP, even if, typically, they don't really work (and also seem to assume the players are children rather than adults).

Oor wrote:I'm not sure our view of what an "enlightened" RPer would look like overlap much, but in this regard they do. Sort of. While it's right to not give a shit what sim owners/admins think about what you get up to when you're not on their sim, what seems "weird" to me is to traipse around SL hoping to find a somewhat-fitting backdrop when you have people who are invested in your story willing to create the specific backdrop you want.Each to their own.

Because I want to RP with someone, I should bother a local sim owner (that presumably has something better to do) that has nothing to do with that RP and ask him or her to set up a sky box for me, when we might just as well go to sim X that has the right set-up already?

Surprising, these reactions. They don't really seem to mesh with the kind of opinions I would normally expect, from what I have seen in the past from these posters. If I add up the reaction of you, Anarch and Quinwen, I would almost get the impression you are all involved in one sim, together. :)
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 am

Glaucon wrote:@ Anarch: A bit of a simplified view of what a good backdrop for RP might be. Surely, it is more than those three things. And a well-made sim will typically beats a quickly set-up sky-box backdrop. Of course, it might be more than just the visuals, people might actually use the sim (with the lore and maybe the presence of others) as part of their RP.

I didn't say that was my view of what a good backdrop for RP might be, I just explained what the usual available options are. You might be overestimating the creativity of typical SL Gor sims a bit... or the creativity of SL Gor RPers for that matter. (The people who actually do or even think about this kind of stuff are very rare. Most walk up to the Inn and complain when they don't find someone standing about in public to RP nonsense with within 2 minutes.)

But not even that are 'options' as simple as you might think:
1. Sim owners might not agree with you quickly using their 'beach' as a backdrop for your RP
2. The beach sim you'd like to use as a backdrop does not allow gorean dress (because it's not a gorean RP sim etc)
3. If they do allow the above AND you managed to find a gorean sim with a beach (which is pretty rare in my experience), then you still might not want their specific local lore or storylines to crash into yours.

Maybe you're looking for a 'Cosian' beach, but found the only 'gorean beach' on a Torvie sim and don't want Torvaldslanders to walk into your scene and tell you you're in Forkbeard's Landing instead of in Cos. (in which case you'll get back to issue #1).

As someone who is experienced with using a variety of 'different locations' in my RP scenes. No, I'd rather prefer a quick admin made (or if allowed: self-made) backdrop any day.

Cynical? How? Has nothing to do with 'catering' to the regulars vs. the occasional visitors or anything like that, really. Funny how simply stating a fact (that you acknowledge) is supposed to be cynical.

It is cynical if you look at 'sims offering to create scene backdrops for their roleplayers' as some kind of attempt to keep people from going to other sims.

Rules against 'taking people elsewhere' are common outside of Gor, but not standard, fortunately.

They aren't common at all. People can role play privately where they want to hold their scenes, who is going to check on that? Just like they can RP scenes in IMs or on a forum and play out the rest of the consequences of their private scene back on the sim. I don't know of any RP sims outside of SL Gor who would prevent you from doing that. In fact I'd say that the first thing that comes to mind are typical BtB sims telling their slave-girls RPers they're not allowed to leave the sim without permission. That ridiculousness of treating role players as children seems more common in SL Gor than outside of it...

Because I want to RP with someone, I should bother a local sim owner (that presumably has something better to do) that has nothing to do with that RP and ask him or her to set up a sky box for me, when we might just as well go to sim X that has the right set-up already?

You are wrongly assuming there is such a 'sim X'. It's usually pretty damn hard for the reasons explained at the beginning of this post.

If I add up the reaction of you, Anarch and Quinwen, I would almost get the impression you are all involved in one sim, together.

Like minded people tend to role play in the same places. The opinions are still valid. If you want different opinions you're welcome to try and drag some flexi-fossils from their graves from BtB Gor. Good luck getting them to try and use a website though! :p

Return to “General RP Discussions”