Slave player/character hating

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:41 am

Manon Seid wrote:This is not about being elitist. And I know there are people reacting to people giving that vibe here in this thread. And in general I agree, raging because of some inappropriate word in an IM is usually silly at best. But when you have been disrespected for years and years and years to such an extend you don't even react any more there will come a time when it's enough. You won't get away with just a nice "hey there, i'd appreciate you stay OOC in my IM". People will end up exploding in a giant "RAAWWWWRRRRRR!!!" it's not really strange is it? To me it makes perfectly sense that some of us start to sound a tad bit frustrated, elitist, hostile, better than thou, and either lashes back along the lines of "Tal, idiot" or just simply mutes and moves on. We have been patient for way too long.

Still I know for me there's a huge difference on how I come off in this discussion compared to how I deal with the issue in SL. As I said I rarely even react beyond shaking my head here behind the screen. I suspect it's the same with many of the other posters here and with the general population of SL Gor roleplayers. But perhaps it's time to protest instead of just letting it slide.

Label the SIM's appropriately, ask before you do that IC/OOC cross with me. And in ROLEPLAY sims treat all players as equals in OOC. This is all I ask - and there is a looooong way to get there.


I agree its not ok. I agree not treating someone with ooc respect based on their role they play not ok.

But painting everyone with the same brush is not ok in my eyes.
It's why i still plug away at different rp sims with people who have treated me with disrespect, treated me with an elitist attitude and superiority attitude assuming i can't rp my way out of a paper bag, based solely on the fact I loved tournament fighting.

and it's this same judgemental attitude I think is a bigger problem.

Its the same elitist snobbish attitude that precluded so many role players back in the day, and (as an example from another thread with someone talking about their partner putting an application in to rp in another sim)

Its the same thing that killed the BTB roleplay.

I have never stated treating someone oocly with disrespect because of their role is fine.
I've advocated people not going Nuclear level retaliation required any time some one says "tal slut Tal master Tal mistress" In ooc. I HAVE said Gentle nudges. THEN Nuclear level reprisals required.

But apparently Me stating these things plainly over and over again, means my concept and execution of the English language is completely and utterly lacking in all shapes and sizes.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:42 am

Sasi wrote:It's only in SL Gor that you are labelled an asshole elitist because you advocate for a strong IC and OOC separation and are not willing to tolerate a mix of both...


no it's only in life your labelled an asshole elitist when your words and mannerisms imply that you are better than some one else simply for doing something differently to you.

this is the concept you and others REFUSE to accept.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 am

Qingwen wrote:Well, as I believe I said, this wasn't a one time thing. I do tend to draw conclusions based on patterns that repeat themselves, and make decisions using this information.

And, racial profiling analogy - not going to go there. I'm just talking about the actions people voluntarily take in a game, kay? :)


and I'm just saying that Racial profiling is the issue of people acting / judging by someone's race

Rp profiling :P your judging someone based on a simple "tal mistress" because your experiences have been negative in the past.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
User avatar
Oor
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 am

You're arguing against a strawman, Blue. Nobody - quite literally not one single person this whole thread - has said they'll mete out "nuclear level reprisals". If you think they have, you've profoundly misunderstood what's been posted.

But hey, maybe it's about time they did. Maybe it's about time we stopped leaving people who can't or won't separate IC and OOC, on sims that state it as requirement, with the impression that people don't really mind and it's not really an issue. People do mind and it is an issue, so maybe a few nuclear level reactions wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sayin. :twisted:
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:56 am

Oor wrote:You're arguing against a strawman, Blue. Nobody - quite literally not one single person this whole thread - has said they'll mete out "nuclear level reprisals". If you think they have, you've profoundly misunderstood what's been posted.

But hey, maybe it's about time they did. Maybe it's about time we stopped leaving people who can't or won't separate IC and OOC, on sims that state it as requirement, with the impression that people don't really mind and it's not really an issue. People do mind and it is an issue, so maybe a few nuclear level reactions wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sayin. :twisted:


laughs- True they haven't stated that it should be done, but the poison replies and the constant looking down the nose at, im better than you cause i do things this way,
has been posted. repeatedly.

I agree the are totally required if after a nudge they dont get the hint.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 am

BlueConover wrote:laughs- True they haven't stated that it should be done, but the poison replies and the constant looking down the nose at, im better than you cause i do things this way,


Well, people who separate IC and OOC -are better- role players. Those who don't are so much worse up to the point I'd simply not allow them to set foot on a RP sim.

Just like people who don't godmod, metagame, etc. are better role players than those who do.



Where is this idea coming from that we suddenly should treat all misbehavior as equal and acceptable? There is such a thing as self-destructive tolerance.
Last edited by Anarch Allegiere on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Oor
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 am

BlueConover wrote:no it's only in life your labelled an asshole elitist when your words and mannerisms imply that you are better than some one else simply for doing something differently to you.

this is the concept you and others REFUSE to accept.


No. It's a false equivalence.

If you mix IC and OOC in a sim where IC and OOC are supposed to be separated as per the rules, you are doing it wrong. You are breaking the rules. People who are not breaking the rules, people who are separating IC and OOC, are better than people who don't in this particular regard.

If someone breaks the rules of a tournament and uses a faster, harder hitting sword script and beats everyone else by using it, do you just say "Oh well! I guess that guy just does it differently!"
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:11 am

Oor wrote:
No. It's a false equivalence.

If you mix IC and OOC in a sim where IC and OOC are supposed to be separated as per the rules, you are doing it wrong. You are breaking the rules. People who are not breaking the rules, people who are separating IC and OOC, are better than people who don't in this particular regard.

If someone breaks the rules of a tournament and uses a faster, harder hitting sword script and beats everyone else by using it, do you just say "Oh well! I guess that guy just does it differently!"


Please show me this universal set of rules you say means everyone else is doing it wrong.

I have a list of rules that state which weapons are allowed which are not. Every time i walk into a tournament it is stated clearly.

I have yet to walk into a sim that states
"this language is not allowed to be used in ooc terms at all" and a list of terminology is then thrust at people.

O_o show me this universal list that is written and I will happily HAPPILY agree with you.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
User avatar
BlueConover
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 am
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover
Location: Uk

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Well, people who separate IC and OOC -are better- role players. Those who don't are so much worse up to the point I'd simply not allow them to set foot on a RP sim.

Just like people who don't godmod, metagame, etc. are better role players than those who do.



Where is this idea coming from that we suddenly should treat all misbehavior as equal and acceptable? There is such a thing as self-destructive tolerance.


I know some rpers who do and are extremely difficult to rp with throwing their dummy out their pram the moment you go outside the box.

Others cant role play worth a damn because they can't role play the environment BUT have this utter belief they are so fucking awesome rainbows shoot out their ass and they piss sparkles.

I'm saying No. Better roleplayers are those who ARE BETTER AT ROLEPLAYING.

End of story.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
User avatar
Oor
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Slave player/character hating

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 am

BlueConover wrote:I have yet to walk into a sim that states
"this language is not allowed to be used in ooc terms at all" and a list of terminology is then thrust at people.


Strawman. Again. Nobody is saying "This language is not allowed OOC at all". In fact, we've made pains to say that what people doing their private IMs between consenting adults is nothing to do with anyone else.

The issue being discussed is the (fairly common, in SL Gor) occasion where someone addresses another person OOCly as though they were IC, thereby assuming a power disparity, and does so without prior consent.

But if you need a "list", it usually goes something like... "Separate IC from OOC" (!) and is usually surrounded by rules about other RP no-no's, like godmoding, metagaming, powergaming, etc.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix

Return to “General RP Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest