Snowflakes and Exceptions?

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Snowflakes and Exceptions?

Postby Oor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Glaucon wrote:Ah, I was worried we might actually be agreeing on something.

As far as I am concerned, I think it is cool if someone wants to adjust their storm-trooper armor just so that it really matches the lore, the movies, etc. Personally, I think it is less cool if they then start moaning publicly about another playing wearing a BLACK stormtrooper armor set, because those are "NOT IN THE MOVIES!" (@ SW nerd: I kid), when it really doesn't matter much. Being a bit anal is fine, but not everyone has to be.

Well they do, really. I mean, no, they don't have to be, but I'd like them to be, and I can bitch about it to my own little circle when they're not. If you play a free woman and you wear a sheer veil instead of an opaque one, it has consequences. IC ones. If you play a slave who's a pot girl and you wear sandals and gold jewelry, you appear as a high slave, and people will treat you accordingly. Additionally, what you wear IC as a slave has IC ramifications for your owner, since they are presumed to be the person who gave you everything you have. If you're a man wearing metal plate armour all over your chest and not being blue flamed, you're sort of fucking with canon. A free woman with loose hair, a slave with dancing silks on to clean out the tarsk pens, a pirate who looks like he'd be better suited to a Walking Dead type sim. If you're looking to take your RP (relatively) seriously and not to cause confusion, you really ought to do what you can to make sure you know how to costume for the genre, so that other people's intentional IC faux pas, interactions between slaves where they trade/steal bina, etc, aren't negated.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 am

When it comes to role play, I usually politely avoid Mamba-Pani-Assassin-Exotics and people who come across as zealots. There is a happy medium.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:23 am

Glaucon wrote:Ah, I was worried we might actually be agreeing on something.

As far as I am concerned, I think it is cool if someone wants to adjust their storm-trooper armor just so that it really matches the lore, the movies, etc. Personally, I think it is less cool if they then start moaning publicly about another playing wearing a BLACK stormtrooper armor set, because those are "NOT IN THE MOVIES!" (@ SW nerd: I kid), when it really doesn't matter much. Being a bit anal is fine, but not everyone has to be.

If adjusting your avatar and backstory to the Gorean lore, the cultural environment, presented incredible difficulties, I could understand people don't consent the effort.
If not adjusting the way your character dress/behave or your IC background was never an immersion break, I would not even lift a brow...

But actually it's pretty simple to put an opaque veil instead of a sheer one, to not wear an armor, to not look like an assassin when you play a warrior or a peasant, to adjust your backstory for your character doesn't look like a home stone and caste collector... Because when you play a mere female baker and your personal slave looks like a bred passion one, more adorned than a high slave, you just appear like an implausible oddity.

Believe me, make a few efforts with these details is fucking easy. I do it and it never spoils my fun. All the opposite.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:16 am

Exceptional characters push the storyline only because they are different from other characters they interact with.

And it seems pretty basic that people should respect the genre they're RPing in and try to adhere to it's authenticity as closely as possible.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:14 am

This thread, and indeed discussions about the so-called boundries of SL Gor and RP'ing in general, remind me somewhat of Peter Carroll and his Chaos Magic theory. Bear with me. :mrgreen:

"In Chaos Magic, beliefs are not seen as ends in themselves, but as
tools for creating desired effects. To fully realize this is to face
a terrible freedom in which Nothing is True and Everything is
Permitted, which is to say that everything is possible, there are no
certainties, and the consequences can be ghastly."

PRINCIPIA CHAOTICA By Peter Carroll

The Gorean roleplay enviroment, it's vast lore, it's rich history and conventions... far from being a world constrained and finite, are actually limitless in my opinion and in my actual RP.

Generally, I dislike the idea there is some kind of line of demarcation where something is the *wrong* way to RP, or it's not *Gorean*, or someone is a *snowflake*.
The problem, essentially, is the same old chestnut. People don't read the books, often even if they do they interpret them completely different to the next person, they have their own idea (if any) of what the Gorean Identity is and expect everybody to abide by it.
And then there are consequences. I don't care if the FW baker has a slave adorned in gold. I'd give them a chance in RP and I would endeavor to find out why. (Does the slave have an unusual talent that FM are willing to part coin for?, is she involved in extortion?) Lamentably, in 99% of cases, the FW baker has no idea she has stepped out of the Gorean norm box and would be offended if her pet was seen as an oddity in the Gorean world. But there is nothing wrong with oddities in a good RP'er!

Anybody playing an exceptional character should always be prepared for the CONSEQUENCES. And yes, they should be ghastly. Sadly, that's not the case. Folk are attached to their characters OOC far more than they would admit, certainly their main one, and consequences for their exceptional actions and RP are fairly non-existent. As is the knowledge of the genre.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:37 am

serene mistwood wrote:Lamentably, in 99% of cases, the FW baker has no idea she has stepped out of the Gorean norm box and would be offended if her pet was seen as an oddity in the Gorean world. But there is nothing wrong with oddities in a good RP'er!

Anybody playing an exceptional character should always be prepared for the CONSEQUENCES. And yes, they should be ghastly. Sadly, that's not the case. Folk are attached to their characters OOC far more than they would admit, certainly their main one, and consequences for their exceptional actions and RP are fairly non-existent. As is the knowledge of the genre.

This.

I personally don't mind the bold woman foregoing the veil, the pot girl dripping in gold. I don't even mind, really, if these characters make up the majority and I have to employ a few more NPCs to convey the "norms". But the issues arise when the FW typist is foregoing the veil because "I spent a lot of money on my skin" or the slave girl is dressing her slave in dancing silks because it was a pretty gacha, etc. and, as Serene said, nobody understands why they're exceptional (and they therefore cannot RP properly as though they are).

If I showed up in Game of Thrones wearing a crown, or tried to go into combat with my SW storm trooper buddies in jeans, or dressed a maid in the latest, floofiest Junbug creation, I might be engaged with, initially - but if it became evident that I didn't even realise these things were oddities within the genre, there'd be admin intervention - and rightly so.

"Deal with it IC" is a great mantra, until dealing with it IC is impossible because of one party's lack of understanding. A free woman with no veil because she's bold is an interesting character. A free woman with no veil because her typist wants to show off her skin and doesn't have a clue what the lack of veil says about the character - is genre-breaking.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix

Return to “General RP Discussions”