1on1 VS Group RP

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: 1on1 VS Group RP

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Oor wrote:
FeorieFrimon wrote:
Tantus wrote:.
And this only happens in Gor too, you have two guys, a woman... and then a slave joins in. I've seen this on different occasions, when a slave is posting after her, the FW will post, then the slave will post immediately after. Not even one second difference. It's already rude in that the slave is conveying she doesn't care what the FW has posting, but now you have 3 paragraphs to read and then to respond to.

YES. Yes. This one is super annoying, especially playing said ignored FW. Or even said ignored slave by FW and two dudes. I get that Gor is all about the guys, but come on! Can we not -try- and play together? Can we not at least -pretend- like we care about everyone in the scene?

As a general rule - in every genre, I think, but in Gor more obviously (because there are a lot of (admittedly fucked up and unrealistic) gender dynamics portrayed in the genre) - women don't know how to play with other women. And even those who know how to play with other women don't know how to play anything /interesting/ with other women. When I've been playing a slave character and tried to approach other slaves, settle in, ask some questions, dig for info and hooks about their character, I've either (but rarely) been lucky, and found someone who was completely STOKED to have RP, or it's been someone who had no depth, at all, to their character beyond "master interactions" or just... logged off! lol

ETA: I have seen slaves disregarded far, far, FAR more frequently in scenes than free women. But the whole "I'm an idiot who can't really tell the difference between IC/OOC" thing makes the FW being ignored by a *GASP* SLAVE GIRL stick out more.

And while we're at it - men might be a little better at playing with each other than women are, but I think they, as a rule, completely fucking suck at giving their characters flaws and portraying those flaws in a way that's interesting. I'm as bored of the masterly master with not a single shit to give about "useless" slave girls these days as I am by the yo-yo "TAL MASTER" slaves. It's the same rote, dull bullshit that leads nowhere interesting.

You're gonna put my character on a cross and rape her?

What else is gonna happen during that scene?

I want a little Sherlock in my RP, and a little cooperation, and a little plot, and a little inclusiveness and criss-crossing of storylines, and a whole fuckload of depth. Please and thank you.

And I promise. I 100% cross my heart and hope to die promise, I will do my very best to give you the same in return.

Because why the fuck else are we here?

Yup. :clap:

Time zone differences suck, by the way. XD
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:Time zone differences suck, by the way. XD

I KNOW!

And I can't even be nocturnal anymore to circumvent them. :(
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Oor, have my pixel babies. I need your Gor in my life.

:)
Qingwen
SL Name: Qin

Postby Qingwen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:12 am

FeorieFrimon wrote:This topic has actually come up in my RP space a lot this month, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

How important is 1on1 RP between characters?

Are there certain rP scenarios where this 1on1 RP is more important than others?

Is it more important than group RP?

Is there a comfortable ratio between 1on1 scenes to group scenes that you generally try and abide by when you do RP with friends online?

I'm flexible who I play with so 1 on 1 is not something I actively seek out or limit to.
It's important if there is a scene that requires some time and depth, where a third party would be essentially left out (no fun for the 3rd wheel either in that case).
I wouldn't say 1 on 1 is more important. For me, if the writing is good and the players are creative, responsive and interesting, the more the merrier. The very best scenes I've had involved 3 or 4 people. Probably why I gravitate to playing a tavern girl. I like lotsa people :)
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:08 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I agree with everything Tantus said.

Well, I didn't read until the end it seemed. :P
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:32 am

Tamar Luminos wrote:Well, damn- you had me, then you lost me. What's up with the slave character hatin? Not cool, dude. There's shitty roleplayers in every role, trust me. It's not limited to slave characters. There's also freaking epic roleplayers in each role. Me? I play a pretty freaking epic slave, and I can think of several others who do, too. The slave role is integral to the setting, and refusing to roleplay with someone playing that role is, quite frankly your loss, buddy. If you don't like slave characters what the fuck you doing playing in Gor??? Srly.

I seriously don't hate on slaves! If I had more time to RP, it would be spent on any number of slaves and panthers I've wanted to RP with but didn't get round to. If I roleplayed more often with FM/FW it's because they're relevant to whichever agenda I'm pushing.

On the last occasion I was involved with BTB, we were at war, and we were a handful of people on that sim. The highlights would reach 6 avatars online! Sometimes I was parked there alone. But, we were at war. So between the few of us we held many Group RP sessions of 3-4, planning for our alliances ahead, singling out those foreign citizens to manipulate and most importantly, deciding which of us would be handling those agents.

You need to scout these cities, roleplay with their citizens, narrow down your list of prospects and work them into supporting your alliance. It begins from the middle tiers and you get them to push your agenda up through their council.

And you have a limited amount of time to make it happen, let's say you roleplay from 20:00-Midnight EU time (= Midday-16:00 SL time)). It takes an hour to travel and getting a meeting started, and you want to push out at least 6 posts to steer this meeting towards a conclusion in the next two hours. You allow for 2 emoters on their side, and you've taken someone from your city to train them up in diplomatic tact(These Gorean Campus Ambassador certificates count for nothing when you throw them into an actual meeting!). So I am particular about timings and won't appreciate some random element who won't be a productive part of that meeting, e.g. a slave using 20 minutes to roleplay passively about herself.

We had three wars running simultaneously, the largest one extended to three months, for myself it was like coming home and logging in to a second job! I would have a list of meetings to arrange, treaties to write or amend, local sim RPs to get through because people sometimes need your help to push their story forwards. Each instance will take up an evening of RP, because if you do an RP for 2 hours and you have 2 hours left... that's not long enough to begin anything further for the night.

In saying all of that, there were stressful moments for us all but the handful of us supported each other and we generated tons of roleplay for many people across their cities. I couldn't even plan for personal roleplay because there were always two more things on the agenda. Now if a slave character came up and said she can travel with me, and spy and manipulate and do useful things for our city. I would take her along and put her to good use! But in my roleplaying experience, your average slave character behaves in very predictable ways and doesn't want to push herself beyond her envelope. Could I have taken one of those exceptional roleplayers and trained her up? I could. But.. get this...

Our sim started to grow rapidly through the war and there were men on our high council who themselves were feeling excluded from the war-roleplay. I wanted for everyone joining our sim to be involved in everything affecting us, but how much can you do? You need people to step up and throw themselves into the moment. It's not enough to be a competent roleplayer, there're hundreds of good roleplayers in BTB. You need people willing to push their personal RP aside and saying, 'Tell me where you need me and consider it done!'. We could have involved our merchants more, raised taxes and pushed them to increasing their revenues. Entire categories of internal-sim RPs could have been sponsored by our war, for which we were short on time and resources to commit to. In SL Gor you don't just push out an idea and expect it to be followed, everyone has good ideas, but you need someone there to manage it. And then you realise how few people are willing to sacrifice their personal roleplay in support of the sim's RP.

There was a drastic change in one of our alliances for which we were accountable. Two of our IC leaders who should have been informed, first heard about it at our council meeting two days later. Understandably they were upset for being kept out of the loop, but that wasn't intentional. That's a case of us IC'ly dealing with the fallout of everything that occurred and just not having time to return and communicate with everyone on our sim. Communicating = roleplay = time = hours you don't have.

My whole perspective is, people who step up and involve themselves will be in the loop. And those who want to stay indoors and roleplay with one slave, and then another slave, and then another slave.. will gradually fall out of the loop. In their way they're important for the sim in keeping the local RP flowing. In my experience it hasn't been possible to be both, you either login to Sim-Roleplay or Personal-Roleplay. And this is why you often see guys who just want to wander through Gor alone in the aftermath of months of Sim-Roleplay. Now they just want time to themselves and good ol'Gorean roleplay with a slave or two. They have earned it.

The main war for us started when I told off some free men for behaving erratically. I don't have much patience for incompetence, no matter the role or gender. Now I have a binary perspective on Gorean roleplayers, either they're useful, or they're not. Most fall into the latter category and enslaved characters are competent within their expectations but not in the ways I'd want to employ them.

Yeah! There are those High Slaves who reportedly manipulate and host meetings for their owners. But to myself, this is as interesting as the next guy who comes along claiming to be a Great Warrior who's felled cities by himself. It's all bullshit. I'm not interested in how people want to be perceived, I want to see what they're capable of. I want to see what they've done and then I'll say, 'You, motherfucker are someone I can work with. Put on your rape-face and let's go subjugate some fucking cities.'

We did win all of ours wars afterall, largely through our diplomacy, and having a small group of highly charged and committed roleplayers who produced some of the hottest treaties this game has every seen ;)
Qingwen
SL Name: Qin

Postby Qingwen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Tantus wrote: In my experience it hasn't been possible to be both, you either login to Sim-Roleplay or Personal-Roleplay. And this is why you often see guys who just want to wander through Gor alone in the aftermath of months of Sim-Roleplay. Now they just want time to themselves and good ol'Gorean roleplay with a slave or two. They have earned it.

Just curious, what is this "good ol'Gorean roleplay with a slave or two." and how would they have "earned it"?

I would look askance at anyone who considered roleplaying with my character as recreational downtime from real RP... but perhaps I'm reading that wrong :hrm:
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:09 pm

there're hundreds of good roleplayers in BTB

Pretty sure we're RPing in a different BtB Gor then. :p

"Wars in BtB Gor". I'm not sure whether I should laugh or what... On one end it's funny that it's mentioned it was won through 'diplomacy'. Sounds familiar, can't really role play anything unless you play the 'super nice person who doesn't' harm anyone in SL Gor's environment, on the other end I kinda loathe it being called a war, where nobody loses anything by the time it's over. 99% of the wars I've seen in BtB Gor over the past years climax with RP bans, and as far as I know it was no different here.

A meter combat raid without consequences and guys going back to drinking paga an hour later isn't what I'd call a properly role played out war, it's not even a battle, it has the same violence and consequences as some high school kids giving each other a shove on the playground.

Everyone with half a braincell knows that BtB Gor is fucked when it comes to the RP quality side of things and longterm storylines. We've all role played in it. As long as people keep running around with combat meters over their heads and with sims wanting to chase traffic instead of proper role play and storylines, it's going to stay that way.

The skeptic in me was too strong to not reply to a post which touched on my personal pet peeves with what "Gorean RP" has become in SL.

Want to roleplay a war? Be willing and ready to play your city being in ruins for a few weeks, your neighbours, family and slaves getting raped and murdered. Your sons and daughters getting killed or enslaved, a foreign man ruling your city and calling the shots. Be prepared to role play the loser, the misery, the despair, the loss and being the one who suffers injustice. This is what I hope to give and create in my own environment at least when it finally gets to that.

Don't just run around shooting arrows at each other without story and everything resetting back to normal after an hour or a rescue.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:

Aw, Anarch! They are out there. I promise. :fryingpan:
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:14 pm

FeorieFrimon wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:

Aw, Anarch! They are out there. I promise. :fryingpan:

There's quite a few of them in this thread, even! LOL It's just hard to get us all together on the same sim at the same time.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/

Return to “General RP Discussions”