1on1 VS Group RP

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

1on1 VS Group RP

Postby FeorieFrimon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:11 pm

This topic has actually come up in my RP space a lot this month, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

How important is 1on1 RP between characters?

Are there certain rP scenarios where this 1on1 RP is more important than others?

Is it more important than group RP?

Is there a comfortable ratio between 1on1 scenes to group scenes that you generally try and abide by when you do RP with friends online?
Glaucon

Re: 1on1 VS Group RP

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:54 pm

My 50 cents.

There are a lot of sims in SL that really only have 1-1 RP. Mostly sex-related stuff. Much of that is done in IMs. Many RP-ers rarely RP in local. Some even refuse to. Guys seem to be especially eager to make sure that one but their current RP partner can 'hear' them. Probably one part being a little shy, one part being afraid some other guy will get involved and whisk away the girl, and one part them being afraid their wife/girlfriend (or mum) will find out about what they did.

I do find those sims a bit boring 'as sims'. One of the nice things about Gor used to be that sims weren't like that, for me. I like one-on-one RP. But if that is all you ever engage in... well... seems limiting to me. A little in-character group RP at times, at least, makes things more interesting.

Para-rant spoiler:
► Show Spoiler

In general, I am usually happy to include someone in a 1 on 1 RP, making it a group RP, if they seem like they want to join in (and are able to). Depends on the RP situation, of course. However, RP in larger groups does tend to get tricky. Likely people will have to log, will crash, or one of those present will derail it. So, when RP-ing with a group, you will need to be more adaptable. Also, RP-ing in a group, with lots of chat in your box (and people IM-ing you during the RP as well) can also be somewhat energy consuming. Often enough, I'd prefer to deal with just 1 or 2 other people.

And you have the 'RP sponge' problem. If you are in RP with one person, most other people will typically leave the pair of you alone. But if you are with 3 people, you are a 'group' and others seeking RP (or just... moving towards whatever seems to be 'something happening') will tend to wander over. Which will then make it even more of a group, attracting more of those people. So, you go from an RP with 3 to one with 7 people present, quickly, people unaware of what was going on. Often, you end up attracting the zombies as well (the ones that come to RP sims but don't really offer any RP, ever), much like honking a car horn in the Walking Dead. It can be a bit of a problem, make RP with more than 2 people without a crowd around it nearly impossible in places that are publicly accessible.

The ratio I'd prefer? I don't know. Maybe 2/3 one on one, 1/3 group.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Fe- you're posting some great posts lately. :-)

How important is 1on1 RP between characters?
Pretty important, to me. I love group RP but the 1 on 1 is needed sometimes for more intensity and focus, as well as smoother flow/shorter post wait time!

Are there certain rP scenarios where this 1on1 RP is more important than others?
Well, I'm weird. I love sex RP and/or conflict RP and while I love the intensity of 1v1 RP, group RP in those cases can be extremely fun to shake things up and make it a bit more unpredictable (I love unpredictable!). Plus I'm a total exhibitionist, so... LOL

Is it more important than group RP?
No. I mean, not inherently so. I guess it depends on the RP, right? I've had group RP be extremely intense, edge of my seat exciting, holding my breath to see the next post (playing a rogue cyborg holding cyborg police officer Harlequin hostage in the jail of the police building trying to escape and having to run out through a gauntlet of armed officers and getting shot down in a blaze of angst and glory, was epic!) but then I have also had that with 1v1 RP as well (pretty much any scene with Harlequin when we're both bringing our "A game". LOL) So, no, can't really say that one is more important than the other for me just based on numbers. It depends on the players themselves and how well I mesh with them and what's going on in the RP.

Is there a comfortable ratio between 1on1 scenes to group scenes that you generally try and abide by when you do RP with friends online?
Nope. I'm pretty loosey goosey, just tend to plop my avatar down and run with whatever comes my way.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 am

A part of it must depend on your personality type too, I generally prefer 1 on 1.

"Group RP" has more merit in genres outside of Gor where characters work towards their ambitions. In Gor, everyone from the ubar down to the peasant is secretly a billionaire! Caste promotions too tend to be arranged OOC'ly based on how far you can manipulate the sim owner. The 'BTB' system markets its sim like a fairground "Come to us for fulfilment and The Gor you want!" But in handing everything out it's limiting everything a character should be working for.

I haven't done as much Out-of-Gor RP as I'd wanted, except some years ago I was heavily into Perdition. It was just your regular Urban RP in a modern city. The build was amazing, took ages to rez and often had 50-70 roleplayers on sim. Everyone was just a regular Joe in town, so you needed to go places and roleplay to build your character up. There were hotspots for networking all over town, it's where you went for information on who controlled the local districts, arranged meetings and pushed your IC ambitions - all of it done through hours of roleplaying.

When I roleplayed there, I used to think... this is how Gor should be. You shouldn't have everything handed to you on the silver platter, it should be roleplayed and worked for with minimal admin/mod involvement.

So I can do Gorean Group RP when there's an objective, either for furthering my character or the cause of my city. But in general Gorean Group RP goes in circles, you gain nothing from sitting with those people and shooting out emotes except.... resentment. Hating what Gor has become and hating these assholes you've just met for how pointlessly stagnant their characters have become. It's no different to visiting the barber's in RL for a chat with the elderly.

Whilst I may have been the sort of pervert Glaucon described, in that I limit my roleplay to specific individuals, it happened because I had no IC inclination or need to interact with the general population.

Another problem with Gor is, too many people believe double-paragraph roleplay is the only way to emote. If some random goon wants to join into a group scene with double-paras, it had better be good-fucking-roleplay or I will be posting out on the next round. For every person who joins, it adds 10 minutes. So now you're waiting 30, or 40 or 50 mins between your posts. Fuck... this... scene... If I have nothing to gain here I will post out prematurely.

And this only happens in Gor too, you have two guys, a woman... and then a slave joins in. I've seen this on different occasions, when a slave is posting after her, the FW will post, then the slave will post immediately after. Not even one second difference. It's already rude in that the slave is conveying she doesn't care what the FW has posting, but now you have 3 paragraphs to read and then to respond to.

Neither do I appreciate it when we're having a serious IC meeting, and someone brings his slave along. You can guarantee this girl will do one of three things:
- Emote paragraphs on her introspective / emotional state
- Crawl around her owner in sexual need
- And the worst... voicing her opinion on the matter at hand.

I've terminated meetings over this, if some dork brings his slave into an IC meeting I will send them away and tell him to return alone. My IC office is not a fucking zoo where I allow for snail trails along the rugs!

With all that said, there are individuals in Gor I unconditionally welcome Group RP with, people like Shinobi Barret, Torments Nitely, Vladimir Bombacci... Incredible and inspiring writers to have a group scene with. The people who claim GBKs make the best roleplayers, just haven't met men like these.

That TLDR = Group Roleplay is On! with good roleplayers or an IC objective. But a waste of your life otherwise, what do people even roleplay about in BTB any longer, but how amazing their family is and how wealthy they are?

1 on 1 roleplay is simpler to manage - and it doesn't need to be with verbose emoters to hold your attention. My whole experience was, people who write too much tend to self-indulge in their own character. And then you've spent hours, reading and reading about someone who becomes less and less interesting.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:45 pm

I agree with everything Tantus said.

Kinda why we made CoCE with vastly different sim rules (where there's actually politics and goals to pursue).

In group scenes I start posting shorter emotes too lately. In fact, I had a very fun RP scene the other day where sometimes we threw back one-liners and dialogue at each other. It went fast and was fun, but still had the occasional descriptiveness and character depth you'd find otherwise. It really depends on who you're RPing with though, in the sense of 'have they met your character before?', 'do they understand the enviroment they're in?', etc.

I think it's really just a matter of learning to walk before people try to run. I went from paragraph RP to double-triple paragraph RP (until it became a habit) and now I'm slowly settling back down to: 'There doesn't need to be a certain amount of paragraphs, sometimes a one-liner or short emote is much better and natural'.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Tantus's post made me post. I was all like, "oh, yeah! good point!" right up until the end. XD

"Group RP" has more merit in genres outside of Gor where characters work towards their ambitions. In Gor, everyone from the ubar down to the peasant is secretly a billionaire! Caste promotions too tend to be arranged OOC'ly based on how far you can manipulate the sim owner. The 'BTB' system markets its sim like a fairground "Come to us for fulfilment and The Gor you want!" But in handing everything out it's limiting everything a character should be working for."

Not everybody! My FW slaver character is having trouble in Illyros, her expensive tastes and lack of stock to sell is beginning to make her quite uncomfortable. She's not quite destitute yet, but she's far from rich.

"I haven't done as much Out-of-Gor RP as I'd wanted, except some years ago I was heavily into Perdition. It was just your regular Urban RP in a modern city. The build was amazing, took ages to rez and often had 50-70 roleplayers on sim. Everyone was just a regular Joe in town, so you needed to go places and roleplay to build your character up. There were hotspots for networking all over town, it's where you went for information on who controlled the local districts, arranged meetings and pushed your IC ambitions - all of it done through hours of roleplaying."

I remember Perdition! I played a bit there, then jumped ship back to Midian. I like dark, urban RP quite a bit, but need some freaky shit to spice it up, like cyberpunk, supernatural, etc. LOL

"When I roleplayed there, I used to think... this is how Gor should be. You shouldn't have everything handed to you on the silver platter, it should be roleplayed and worked for with minimal admin/mod involvement."

Couldn't possibly agree more. Character development is actually fun to play out, good or bad.

"So I can do Gorean Group RP when there's an objective, either for furthering my character or the cause of my city. But in general Gorean Group RP goes in circles, you gain nothing from sitting with those people and shooting out emotes except.... resentment. Hating what Gor has become and hating these assholes you've just met for how pointlessly stagnant their characters have become. It's no different to visiting the barber's in RL for a chat with the elderly."

LMAO- I think you hit the nail on the head there, esp. your last two sentences.

"Another problem with Gor is, too many people believe double-paragraph roleplay is the only way to emote. If some random goon wants to join into a group scene with double-paras, it had better be good-fucking-roleplay or I will be posting out on the next round. For every person who joins, it adds 10 minutes. So now you're waiting 30, or 40 or 50 mins between your posts. Fuck... this... scene... If I have nothing to gain here I will post out prematurely.

And this only happens in Gor too, you have two guys, a woman... and then a slave joins in. I've seen this on different occasions, when a slave is posting after her, the FW will post, then the slave will post immediately after. Not even one second difference. It's already rude in that the slave is conveying she doesn't care what the FW has posting, but now you have 3 paragraphs to read and then to respond to."

Yup. Agree with all that. Post jumping is the suck, wait for everyone in the scene to post so you can react to them all, not just the one person you're focusing on. 's rude to do otherwise, I think, and not just slave characters that do that.

"Neither do I appreciate it when we're having a serious IC meeting, and someone brings his slave along. You can guarantee this girl will do one of three things:
- Emote paragraphs on her introspective / emotional state
- Crawl around her owner in sexual need
- And the worst... voicing her opinion on the matter at hand.

I've terminated meetings over this, if some dork brings his slave into an IC meeting I will send them away and tell him to return alone. My IC office is not a fucking zoo where I allow for snail trails along the rugs!"

Well, damn- you had me, then you lost me. What's up with the slave character hatin? Not cool, dude. There's shitty roleplayers in every role, trust me. It's not limited to slave characters. There's also freaking epic roleplayers in each role. Me? I play a pretty freaking epic slave, and I can think of several others who do, too. The slave role is integral to the setting, and refusing to roleplay with someone playing that role is, quite frankly your loss, buddy. If you don't like slave characters what the fuck you doing playing in Gor??? Srly.

But otherwise, pretty good post, thar.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I agree with everything Tantus said.

'There doesn't need to be a certain amount of paragraphs, sometimes a one-liner or short emote is much better and natural'.

This. A hundred times this.
One of the few reasons I rarely RP in Gor sims that stipulate "Para-RP ONLY !" these days is that I am so tired, so very very tired, of having to wait for everybody to post lengthy passages of excessive explanatory details and dull, second-hand, heard-it-all-before discursive (bad) prose.
Some of my most memorable and fun scenes have been shorter, dialogue one liners and shorter emotes.

My preference for 1 on 1 or group scenes depends on the character and the scene/story involved. As does the length of my posts. I'll admit to being bored by the more over-illustrative self-gushing characters in either category.
I do generally mirror the RP style of the character(s) I am with - both in 1-1 or groups, however, when it all becomes too much like hard work, or a college assignment or the group turn wait is more than I am willing or able to endure - I'll RP the heck out of there. :fleeflee:
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I agree with everything Tantus said.

'There doesn't need to be a certain amount of paragraphs, sometimes a one-liner or short emote is much better and natural'.

One of my favorite RPers has an unspoken run that we hit enter at 5-7 mins. Even if the post isn't perfect.
That doesn't mean that one can't go long, but generally speaking, we try and meet that mark no neither of us get bored or fall asleep.

I think sometimes people forget that role play isn't about writing the best novel ever, it's about giving something for the other person to work off of and to help craft a mutual story.

I prefer 1 on 1, and don't mind group scenes...but when it starts taking 20 mins for me to post, I duck out. It's hard to follow that many people, and it's REALLY hard to start interested when you can watch an entire show between posts.

Tantus wrote:.
And this only happens in Gor too, you have two guys, a woman... and then a slave joins in. I've seen this on different occasions, when a slave is posting after her, the FW will post, then the slave will post immediately after. Not even one second difference. It's already rude in that the slave is conveying she doesn't care what the FW has posting, but now you have 3 paragraphs to read and then to respond to.

YES. Yes. This one is super annoying, especially playing said ignored FW. Or even said ignored slave by FW and two dudes. I get that Gor is all about the guys, but come on! Can we not -try- and play together? Can we not at least -pretend- like we care about everyone in the scene?
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:35 pm

I think a part of the issue with "paragraph RP" is the sheer lack of people who understand that a paragraph can be 1 sentence long. 1 word, even.

And the issue with group RP is that if you try to be inclusive of everyone, everything, every detail, you're going to be there for 3 weeks writing a post. It's why you can read 500 words that include nothing but descriptions of a character's eyes and acknowledgments of other people's actions. Like "/me notices the man take his gulp of paga with her cerulean blue eyes" bla bla bla forever.

If the group is relatively small, say, 3/4 people, and my character isn't known by them, or if there is something particularly special/odd about my character that day, then my first post or two might be a bit longer to paint a picture of my character for these people who haven't met him/her, before falling into shorter action/speech posts. If they know my character well already or the group is large enough that they wouldn't be likely to get the sort of nitty gritty details that are included in a longer intro post, I'll just post a bit shorter.In any case, I'll usually try to (somewhat) match the RP style of whoever I'm RPing with. I can still be a bit verbose, sometimes, but I don't get any complaints and the people I have fun RPing with invariably come back for more, so I'll take that as my confirmation.

These are both (full) posts of mine from the last couple of days:

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

I do find that if you have 3/4 good (IMO) longer-form posters in a scene, the flow tends to go better, with each typist writing continuously as things happen so they end up with a coherent post that, while longer, is full of relevant information or interesting details/hooks. The longer post above was posted 5 minutes after the previous post in the scene, and 5 minutes was probably the average "wait" time between posts. And while, certainly, you will often meet characters that don't play to your personal character's IC agenda (like Tantus being annoyed by the typists of slave characters wanting to RP), I think it behooves us to be inclusive of other people and look for their hooks so as to pass the ball, even if not for our own benefit.

Having said that, the longer post above has its limitations. Where my character asks another a question, "are you being trained" - there might have been a reaction that would have changed the course of the scene and made the scene change course entirely, like a curt reply, a sulk, a laugh. But perhaps that typist is then more reluctant to make such reactions when mine has already moved on to acknowledging the next person "in turn". The flip side is that it becomes a bit messy, and (again, IMO) loses some depth, and some inclusion. So I think it's subjective. You judge the scene, you judge the situation and your fellow players, and you make a decision on what sort of post you think will better push along plot for yourself and others - and sometimes that will be a long, descriptive post, and other times it'll be a "/me watches in silence" while you let other people take center stage.

More than 4 people in a group and you really should be shot for trying to include everyone and everything and write longer posts.

As for which I prefer - Anything up to 3/4 people in total can be a blast. I like a good deal of 1 on 1 with the most central folks in my character's life (usually an inner circle of, I guess, 3/4 people?). And I find larger group RP (tournaments, celebrations, courts, "magnetic" scenes as described by Glaucon) confusing, largely irrelevant, usually, but good for picking up "hooks". Like, maybe there's nothing immediately for me within a large group scene, but I notice a free woman with a (emoted) rich-looking dress that's a bit threadbare in spots and lightly tattered - and I overhear her introduce herself as Lady Victim McPoorpants - I post about noticing her and then seek her out later to offer to pay her for some shady dealing I need done, having inferred that she's in desperate need of coin.

I guess my split would be 70/30 1-1 to group, but for groups larger than say 4/5 people, I only want those once every month or two and find them burdensome if they happen more frequently than that (as they often do!)
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:48 pm

FeorieFrimon wrote:
Tantus wrote:.

YES. Yes. This one is super annoying, especially playing said ignored FW. Or even said ignored slave by FW and two dudes. I get that Gor is all about the guys, but come on! Can we not -try- and play together? Can we not at least -pretend- like we care about everyone in the scene?

As a general rule - in every genre, I think, but in Gor more obviously (because there are a lot of (admittedly fucked up and unrealistic) gender dynamics portrayed in the genre) - women don't know how to play with other women. And even those who know how to play with other women don't know how to play anything /interesting/ with other women. When I've been playing a slave character and tried to approach other slaves, settle in, ask some questions, dig for info and hooks about their character, I've either (but rarely) been lucky, and found someone who was completely STOKED to have RP, or it's been someone who had no depth, at all, to their character beyond "master interactions" or just... logged off! lol

ETA: I have seen slaves disregarded far, far, FAR more frequently in scenes than free women. But the whole "I'm an idiot who can't really tell the difference between IC/OOC" thing makes the FW being ignored by a *GASP* SLAVE GIRL stick out more.

And while we're at it - men might be a little better at playing with each other than women are, but I think they, as a rule, completely fucking suck at giving their characters flaws and portraying those flaws in a way that's interesting. I'm as bored of the masterly master with not a single shit to give about "useless" slave girls these days as I am by the yo-yo "TAL MASTER" slaves. It's the same rote, dull bullshit that leads nowhere interesting.

You're gonna put my character on a cross and rape her?

What else is gonna happen during that scene?

I want a little Sherlock in my RP, and a little cooperation, and a little plot, and a little inclusiveness and criss-crossing of storylines, and a whole fuckload of depth. Please and thank you.

And I promise. I 100% cross my heart and hope to die promise, I will do my very best to give you the same in return.

Because why the fuck else are we here?
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix

Return to “General RP Discussions”