1on1 VS Group RP

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Glaucon

Re: 1on1 VS Group RP

Postby Glaucon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I'd say 'really good' role play skills require someone being able to adapt.

Sometimes longer descriptive emotes are really necessary to describe a setting and a scene or what is going on at that moment (because visuals can never convey everything, despite SL being very visually enhanced I still find that I need to describe a lot of things) and at other times it's more proper to emote short and fast.

True enough. Most of the decent non-para players that I know go for longer posts when it suits them. I do it myself. Not so much adapting. More... having more to emote. In that sense, they para. They just don't para in the sense of the vast majority of their posts being long (as someone helpfully defined it above). For me, it very much depends on the situation. Where I am, in a scene.

When I run into another character that I don't know and they hit me with 3 paragraphs, I tend to think: "Hmmm, a bit much for a first date."

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I'm not sure I'm the right target to have this argument with though, I might be a pariah in the sense that I -can- and often do write very long paragraphs, but in that I want to go shorter and am willing to dare typing shorter emotes even among the communities that have embraced long paragraph emote at all circumstances and times. I might even organize events in such communities where I suggest people to try and keep emotes short (if it would make sense for the setting / large group scenes etc).

I'd agree. It all depends on what sort of scene and setting it is. If you are RP-ing a fight between a couple in the bedroom, I'd probably go for longer posts with more description. If you are RP-ing driving past someone going the other direction on the interstate... not so much.

The thing I dislike about para-RP isn't that people type longer posts in the middle of interesting scenes where a lot is happening on lots of levels. It is that in most para-RP places, people make a habit of nearly ALWAYS typing these long, overly 'intense' posts in every situation, often dragging lots of things into it that are not really relevant to what is actually going on. If I go into the shop to buy some bread, I normally don't involve myself into the mood, life-story or anything much of the person that assists me. But in typical para-RP, people tend to try to make even something that simple into something multi-layered, tense and deeply emotional. Or so I have found.

That, and the waiting. :)
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Oor wrote:
Glaucon wrote:You didn't address her main point here, and her main contention (I think) to your shortposting advocacy, which was about brevity.

Nah, I separated them, above. Internal narrative vs. external observable RP on the one hand. Short vs. long on the other.

And I am not 'against' either side on the 'internal-external' dimension, as I already said. Never said there was anything 'objectively wrong' with it. :fryingpan:

Short vs. long... yeah. There I have a preference (against very long) for reasons stated.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Glaucon wrote:When I run into another character that I don't know and they hit me with 3 paragraphs, I tend to think: "Hmmm, a bit much for a first date."

I'll usually be more wordy than normal that first post in meeting, simply because there might be stuff you need to know. I mean, I work pretty hard on my avatars, but maybe you need to know more about what she's wearing, how she speaks, etc. First impression stuff.

After all, if I don't give you a taste, why would you ask me out again? :)
BlueConover
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover

Postby BlueConover » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:28 pm

there was an assassin in Crossroads of Torcadino.

Me and him once had an hour long rp.
We both did nothing but Nod. and Shrug.
funniest and best rp I've had in a long while.

it was long drawn out and 1 on 1 in a group setting with people looking on in wonder and awe
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:05 am

Oor wrote:
Glaucon wrote:There are many ways to express those things while staying away from directly describing thoughts, feelings, inner monologue, subjective perceptions, etc. It is quite possible for characters not described or RP-ed that way to convey a sense of depth, emotion. You can have a story in which there is only one protagonists (say, told first person) where you get full disclosure on what they feel etc. but about any of the other characters, and yet, those other characters can still have plenty of depth, and you can know what they feel, what they go through, etc. Even if all that isn't RP-ed or described, directly. There are many ways to get something across.

You didn't address her main point here, and her main contention (I think) to your shortposting advocacy, which was about brevity. Even if you stick to what can be sensed (seen, heard, felt, yadda yadda) - which I probably do in about 90% of my RP - you can still require a lot of wordcount to convey what you want to. If anything, it is easier (and shorter) to "tell" (she said, humiliated) than to "show" (she said, and the drawing down of her brows over reddening cheeks was only glimpsed as she lowered her head).

I do agree with you about not including things that can't be known - I like a little Sherlock in my RP, I like not knowing everything and I dislike chasing info IC that I already know OOC because it was posted as narrative. But this choice is stylistic. It's a matter of preference, and I know you hate that but there really is nothing objectively wrong with either style. I've met people who RP a lot of inner monologue and emotion whose RP I love, despite my stated preferences.

Yes that. And Glaucon missed the point where I spoke of the context... For me, an interaction made of long and descriptive paragraphs fits an 1on1 intensive scene, where both players want to explore the depths of their characters. In being very detailed about outward and inner emotions, gestures, expressions, etc, especially if you can do it without entering into some lovey dovey melodramatics, chances are that the emotional charge of your scene will be more intensive than if your posts are kept short. And the narratives tell a story... Personally I like reading these stories in other people's RP. Just for the pleasure, the fantasy... And as long as they don't disclose things which should be found out in RP, because they are fundamental for the story.

But in group, not really... 5 or 6 lines... Maybe less, it depends on the context...
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Wh-whaa?

Wait WHAT?
Hold on, wait a minute!

Everything under the length of a post that wont get cut by the viewer is SEMI-para?

WELL FUCK ME!

I am in general not a para roleplayer after all o.0
There goes all my snobbish, ancient, soon 10 year old Gor roleplayer, self esteem!

I'll have to work harder. And include a LOT more of the silken rose scented raven hair flowing in the light summer breeze and shining emerald orbs glistening with a deep all devouring desire shit. :fleeflee:
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Manon Seid wrote:Wh-whaa?

Wait WHAT?
Hold on, wait a minute!

Everything under the length of a post that wont get cut by the viewer is SEMI-para?

WELL FUCK ME!

I am in general not a para roleplayer after all o.0
There goes all my snobbish, ancient, soon 10 year old Gor roleplayer, self esteem!

I'll have to work harder. And include a LOT more of the silken rose scented raven hair flowing in the light summer breeze and shining emerald orbs glistening with a deep all devouring desire shit. :fleeflee:

Right?

They mean paragraph RP and always have. But whatever.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Manon Seid wrote:Wh-whaa?

Wait WHAT?
Hold on, wait a minute!

WELL FUCK ME!

I'd be happy to. And now we are compatible, after all. :thumbup:

And yes... by how I used to understand these things, you would already be a para-RP-er if you posted much shorter than that. But like I have argued before, para-RPers edge each other on in posting longer and longer posts, over time. So, would make sense for it now to have grown to this length. Some recent observations I made seemed to confirm it. When I first did some para-RP, a post the length of this one I am typing now would already count as a para-RP post. No longer, by today's standards.

Word-count inflation, economists call it. :roll:
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 am

Glaucon wrote:But like I have argued before, para-RPers edge each other on in posting longer and longer posts, over time.

I'm not so convinced that is true either. You've a very one-dimensional view on that, I know at least a few RP communities where the paragraph RPers acknowledge that posts don't have to be long to be interesting and who have no fear of interweaving long and short posts.

As I have argued before, in my experience the people who have a real passion for storywriting and role play, and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, might be the ones who acknowledge this the most.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:40 am

I try to keep it in mind that while your role play might be interesting to you, it isn't necessarily interesting to the people you're playing with, and the longer you make an emote, the more difficult it is to keep it interesting.

So I generally keep my emotes semi-para unless I'm in the middle of a scene and feeling inspired.

On the other hand, if you know that people like your roleplay and don't mind long emotes, then have at it.

Return to “General RP Discussions”