1on1 VS Group RP

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Re: 1on1 VS Group RP

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:01 am

:grind:
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:I'm not so convinced that is true either. You've a very one-dimensional view on that, I know at least a few RP communities where the paragraph RPers acknowledge that posts don't have to be long to be interesting and who have no fear of interweaving long and short posts.

As I have argued before, in my experience the people who have a real passion for storywriting and role play, and get a lot of enjoyment out of it, might be the ones who acknowledge this the most.

Good RP-ers, including good para-RP-ers are smart, typically. They are smart enough to know you don't always need a whole lot of text. They will typically avoid great amounts of para-fluff. They will get that long emotes aren't always ideal in every situation. And they will post the way they feel like posting. That is probably true for some of the good RP-ers posting here (some have said so).

The thing is, we aren't all that smart. Many people do as others do. Doesn't mean they are stupid. It just means they are people. People are very prone to peer-pressure. For the one RP-er described above, there are at least two that are not stupid, but still likely to RP in a way that they feel is expected of them. When someone apologizes for not posting a post as long as the others before them (their post still being a paragraph as I see it), then it is clear they are trying to match length. I have seen that done, more than once. I bet you have, too. It shows 'peer-pressure' at work. And I have talked to some of those players. They complained to me about 'having' to type all these long posts, about not always having inspiration but still pushing themselves to do it. Maybe they misunderstood what was required of them, sure, but that is also how peer-pressure works.

As for posts getting longer: I can't claim to have gone out and gathered 'data' and performed statistical analysis on it. ;) It is all anecdotal observation. But I have been paying attention to para-RP-ing for a good while. That, I am sure, you will believe.

A short while ago, I went back to a sim that has been around for a long time. It was fun for me, once. The right length of posing, for me. Then I was gone for a while, came back maybe half a year later. It had turned into full-para. (This was a long time ago, already). So, I came back, now. To see if it was still like that. Only to discover that, not only was it still full para, the para-posts had gotten considerably longer, now.

I can't really prove it, scientifically, but I bet that IF someone were to do the research, you could show that, when a sim, a group of players, a community, starts on the path of (long form) para-RP, they usually progress to longer and longer posts, over time.

I could be wrong. Maybe this talk of para-fluff, etc. helps to make some players aware that more text for the sake of more text isn't the way to go. Maybe, some of the stuff you and others say carries over to the people that feel they HAVE to type lots of text in order to be fun to RP with, to be respected as RP-ers, etc.

I hope I am wrong. It would be nice, for me (and, in my opinion, all) if long-form para-RPers decided to curb their enthusiasm for word-spillage a little and that, as a result of a natural evolution among para-RP-ers, the focus went off quantity and more towards quality.
Manon Seid

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:14 pm

OK I confess! I have apologized about posts! Usually when the terrorist stepped on "Enter" before I was done typing. Or if I completely forgot to react to someones actions. If people throw hooks at me I'd like to react to them and if there's multiple people in a scene or someone mentions more than one hook in one post, it happens I forget when I reply and realize after I posted. Of course there's also the instances where I accidentally hit CAPS LOCK AND EVERYTHING IS SHOUTED. Or if my fingers refuse to hit the right keys and what I postrd turns out sfomebneleb ginnesisgh...

I don't think I ever apologized because my post was "too short" in regards to word count. Not that I can absolutely swear on it, who knows what she's done in the past when she was young and stupid. I think Glaucon might be right there's a stage in a roleplayer's writing development where some sort of peer pressure might be there - imagined or real - for bulkier posts. I have definitely gone from one line/one word to para/semi...whatever... rp over the years, though mostly because I have gotten a lot more confident about communicating in English these days.

So peer pressure or just natural development because we learn to roleplay as we go? Pure dialog can be fun and very effective, but when learning to write from scratch and suddenly discovering the other tools as well like emotes, NPC's. story and plot and all that juicy stuff tends to up the word count. The more I think about it the more convinced I get that the drive for long ass posts is a stage in most roleplayers development. We grow out of it at some point when realizing that less can still be more in roleplay too at times.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 am

I hope so. Clearly, either my development was stunted (because I never 'blossomed' into a full long-form para RPer), or I was just too confident, old, stubborn or lazy to get pushed in the right direction by peer-pressure.

I am guessing too lazy. :hrm:

And like I said: People being affected by peer-pressure isn't a sign they are 'stupid'. Smokers aren't less intelligent than non-smokers (though smoking IS stupid). You need to be affected by peer-pressure to some degree in order to develop yourself (socially, intellectually) in life. We may celebrate individualism, in the 'west', and so, most people don't like to admit to feeling pressure from others, but peer-pressure isn't a 'bad thing', really. But it can lead people do things they would not, otherwise, clearly. I think that for many, doing very long-form RP is such a thing.

I can only hope that I am wrong, and that there is a natural progression back from the ridiculously long back to more sane post-lengths. :thumbup:
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:32 am

Glaucon wrote:I can only hope that I am wrong, and that there is a natural progression back from the ridiculously long back to more sane post-lengths. :thumbup:

How will we know that's not just peer pressure at work?
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Oor wrote:
Glaucon wrote:I can only hope that I am wrong, and that there is a natural progression back from the ridiculously long back to more sane post-lengths. :thumbup:

How will we know that's not just peer pressure at work?

You won't. Like I said, nothing wrong with peer-pressure in itself. Peer-pressure can push people to start smoking. And push people to quit.
BlueConover
SL Name: Blue Conover
Caste: Red
Home Stone: Torcadino
AkA: Blue Conover

Postby BlueConover » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 am

If i have to wait 10mins for a reply. it fills the screen to the point it auto rolls over three posts.

its too long.

If i have to wait 2-5 mins and its engaging without being too much fluff for the sake of fluff. its fine

If i have to wait any length of time to here dude mcdudeface is so awesome because he once beat the ubar of ubarsville but is scared of the dark because he was locked in a dungeon didnt see the light of day for 17billion years

all while not having one piece of action I can respond to cause its all thoughts and flashbacks so I no longer have to seek out anything in story.

I find boring.
He Lives....
Happiness is like Orgasms... The More you think about it.. The less you get...
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Had the most amazing, fun group scene the other night- Harlequin, me, and 2 complete strangers ending up in an ERP scene, lasted 3 hours including the unexpected build-up (first day on sim, my character had just wandered into the brother to see about employment). All para, no fluff, and the best part- everyone posting in about 5 mins or less!!!! The scene was epic, rocked along at a great pace due to the fast posting, and everyone avoiding fluff or thought emotes, was fun and had me laughing and thoroughly enjoying myself start to finish (stayed up till 2:30am was having so much fun). Was a non-Gor sim, sadly but it's entirely possible to have a great group scene if you have good, fast posters. The keys are just to avoid fluff and post decent posts in a reasonable amount of time.

What always helps me in a group scene is to follow each person's new post and open up a Notepad doc and start my next post right after the person's new post after mine. I type up my character's reaction to that new post, then the next, and so on, so that when the person who posts right before me finishes their post, all I have to do is type up the last little bit of reacting to their post and boom, can usually get a group post, responding to everyone I want to in the group, within 2-5 mins of the post before my turn. Works great for me, keeping me posting fast even in a scene with many people in it while still letting me consider each person's post and how my character would react to them.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Wow. Under 5 minutes? Even I might manage to stay awake for that. :thumbup:

But yes. People dialing down their word-tsunami's when they RP in a group just makes sense. The worst examples of (long form) para RP (the sort that causes me to poke at it here) that I have witnessed have typically been of people staying very long form in group-settings.
Manon Seid

Postby Manon Seid » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:13 pm

The worst examples of (long form) para RP (the sort that causes me to poke at it here) that I have witnessed have typically been of people staying very long form in group-settings.

Guilty!

I have posted long form semi-para roleplay, perhaps even PARA roleplay in groups of more than three people present. I am terribly sorry! Usually it happens because I am engaged in some intense conflict rp where my char is about to choke someone to death or is taking a blow that will cost an eye or something. And while I am typing a response where he or she has to let go of the culprit who was about to be beaten to a pulp, because the dude had a hidden dagger he just stuck in my chars liver, a horde of players wanders into the scene and by the time I look up to post I go WHOA! Where the hell did all those people come from!?

Apart from all that self promoting shit. It's situation dependent. Sometimes it makes perfect sense to not shorten posts even in a group setting, depending on whether you are story carrying char or not in the moment.

Of course adding irrelevant fluff to posts is horrible then, but that is horrible no matter if there's a group of players or just one on one rp.

Return to “General RP Discussions”