Let's Talk About 'Alts'

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby FeorieFrimon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Glaucon wrote:Oh, I think this is an interesting aspects of 'ALTING ETHICS' (tm.)' :thumbup:

Maybe it is the most important 'problem' with alting. It can be really annoying for sims and story-lines to have an alt come in, assume a role in an RP setting (sim, story, M/s or D/s relationship etc.) and then become mostly absent. Of course, people should play what they want to play as, and maybe you sometimes just feel like playing alt X instead of Y. But if you make something of an RP commitment by assuming a pivotal role in a sim, an RP, someone's SL, it can be less than nice if you then stop playing that account, putting everything on hold while you go do something else that is fun. RL must come first and all. Healthy attitude. SL RP 'obligations' are relative. But if you assume some role and then decide you'd rather log onto your black bull ghetto rapist character for quick pixel sex instead, after just having been made Ubar of Ubaristan and having collared 5 slaves, companioned 1 FW and declared war on 3 neighboring cities, you may be acting a bit selfishly. Just a little.

:clap:

So much THIS.
JackoS
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Postby JackoS » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Glaucon wrote:
FeorieFrimon wrote:This doesn't bother me...usually. But if my story line is on hold for days or weeks, and you are playing another character the whole time, I feel like that's kind of crappy. I see this happen a lot with slave players. Sure, you should be able to entertain yourself...even if you are playing a slave. But let's be honest here...RP is a lot easier and more fun if your Master shows up every once in awhile.

Oh, I think this is an interesting aspects of 'ALTING ETHICS' (tm.)' :thumbup:

Maybe it is the most important 'problem' with alting. It can be really annoying for sims and story-lines to have an alt come in, assume a role in an RP setting (sim, story, M/s or D/s relationship etc.) and then become mostly absent. Of course, people should play what they want to play as, and maybe you sometimes just feel like playing alt X instead of Y. But if you make something of an RP commitment by assuming a pivotal role in a sim, an RP, someone's SL, it can be less than nice if you then stop playing that account, putting everything on hold while you go do something else that is fun. RL must come first and all. Healthy attitude. SL RP 'obligations' are relative. But if you assume some role and then decide you'd rather log onto your black bull ghetto rapist character for quick pixel sex instead, after just having been made Ubar of Ubaristan and having collared 5 slaves, companioned 1 FW and declared war on 3 neighboring cities, you may be acting a bit selfishly. Just a little.

Yeap yeap yeap... totally agree. In fact RP should be treated like any other game where one plays (including sports). If you are a lone player (as if you are a tennis player) well then, go on and alt all you want (it is the equivalent as playing tennis and golf and determining which tournament you want to play today). However if you involve a lot of people to depend on you then you have to stand by your commitments or at least lay out clearly to all involved what other things you have, so at least they know how to go on without waiting for you....
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:31 pm

JackoS wrote:
Glaucon wrote:
FeorieFrimon wrote:This doesn't bother me...usually. But if my story line is on hold for days or weeks, and you are playing another character the whole time, I feel like that's kind of crappy. I see this happen a lot with slave players. Sure, you should be able to entertain yourself...even if you are playing a slave. But let's be honest here...RP is a lot easier and more fun if your Master shows up every once in awhile.

Oh, I think this is an interesting aspects of 'ALTING ETHICS' (tm.)' :thumbup:

Yeap yeap yeap... totally agree. In fact RP should be treated like any other game where one plays (including sports). If you are a lone player (as if you are a tennis player) well then, go on and alt all you want (it is the equivalent as playing tennis and golf and determining which tournament you want to play today). However if you involve a lot of people to depend on you then you have to stand by your commitments or at least lay out clearly to all involved what other things you have, so at least they know how to go on without waiting for you....

I keep looking for the "Like" button for these posts. LOL But couldn't agree more with all this. And this is also why I pretty much never alt except for a brief stint as an NPC to move the story along (and then only when I have to). I don't have the time/energy to put in on multiple characters, can't even really keep one character going for long these days!
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:54 pm

What you lot said.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:21 am

Glaucon wrote:But if you assume some role and then decide you'd rather log onto your black bull ghetto rapist character for quick pixel sex instead, after just having been made Ubar of Ubaristan and having collared 5 slaves, companioned 1 FW and declared war on 3 neighboring cities, you may be acting a bit selfishly. Just a little.

:lol: :thumbup:

Seen this so many times, and had RP derailed by it. With not even a word of "I have to step out from this RP for a while" just poof and gone, everyone wondering if the person will ever be back, is on an alt, or been taken by aliens. Once I was on a sim where the sim owner did a vanishing act, then came back months later like "why's everyone mad at me?" :facepalm:

Not entirely an alt problem, just a human nature problem I guess..
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star

Return to “General RP Discussions”