Let's Talk About 'Alts'

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
User avatar
FeorieFrimon
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm
SL Name: Feorie Frimon
Contact:

Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby FeorieFrimon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Looking for a general idea from my Gorum Peeps!

Would it bother you if your RP partner(s):

....were playing an alt at the same time they were RPing with you? Like, during the exact same time but in a different scene somewhere else?

....were playing an alt at all?

....were playing an alt in the same sim?

....were playing an alt in your same story as you?

Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?
User avatar
Tamar Luminos
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 pm
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Tamar Luminos » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Ooh, ooh- I'll play!!!

Would it bother you if your RP partner(s):

....were playing an alt at the same time they were RPing with you? Like, during the exact same time but in a different scene somewhere else?
Yes. It's kinda rude, I can't imagine anyone is capable of good, engrossing RP while dual screening. Most people who say they can multi-task well really...can't. LOL I'd rather have someone's relatively undivided attention, RL considerations aside cuz those can't be helped, of course.

....were playing an alt at all?
Nah, wouldn't bother me. See reply to previous question, though.

....were playing an alt in the same sim?
Wouldn't bother me, long as- again, they were focusing on the scene with me while playing with me.

....were playing an alt in your same story as you?
Hmm. I guess not, but it'd take a damned good roleplayer to pull that shit off (and most people I've seen attempt it...aren't as good as they think they are, sadly). But theoretically, if they could keep their shit straight, and play distinctly different characters with zero metagaming, sure, why not?

Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?
No, in fact, I'd rather not know- unless they're OOC friends, then I'd be all chatty OOC in IM's with them laughing about shit anyway. LOL Otherwise, I don't need/want to know.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Oor
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Oor » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 pm

FeorieFrimon wrote:Looking for a general idea from my Gorum Peeps!

Would it bother you if your RP partner(s):

....were playing an alt at the same time they were RPing with you? Like, during the exact same time but in a different scene somewhere else?


Yes. You're worth all the attention I can give SL. And I'm worth yours. Even if you think you can do both without the quality of one interaction suffering- you're wrong.

The only exception to this is where a GM is playing their "regular" character and a "played NPC" character for a particular scene/event (and even then, quality is still affected).

FeorieFrimon wrote:....were playing an alt at all?


None of my beeswax.

FeorieFrimon wrote:....were playing an alt in the same sim?


No. As long as they are aware of any potential conflicts of interest. If I'm playing 2 characters in the same sim (which seldom happens because I don't really do alts any more) I'd tend to try and make sure their stories are very unlikely to overlap in anyway, even indirectly.

FeorieFrimon wrote:....were playing an alt in your same story as you?


Depends. Again, people tend to think they're better at not metagaming than they actually are. If you know something OOC it can affect what you write and the decisions you make for your character, even if you're unaware of it.

FeorieFrimon wrote:Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?


There's no "should" about revealing your identity to anyone on the internet, no matter how meta - but if I knew I'd probably ask that one character be dropped from the story,or excuse myself. Speaking strictly about on-sim, collaborative stuff. If it's a private RP between 2 people in email/IM/whatever then it's really up to them, and in that scenario I would (and have) play more than one character.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
User avatar
Qingwen
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:32 am
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Qingwen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 pm

I really don't mind for any of these. If the RP is entertaining I don't care who is playing what.

Personally I've not used an alt to RP in a long long time. Last time I had two on a single sim I didn't hide both were me, then people would ask me to log on one or the other according to their preferences.
Better don't ask, don't tell :P
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
User avatar
Cassie
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Cassie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:06 am

....were playing an alt at the same time they were RPing with you? Like, during the exact same time but in a different scene somewhere else?
Well unless the person told me I'd be annoyed because it explains why that person is taking 30 minutes to reply and they are not even posting anything meaningful (yeah I knew of someone and played along because my friend was rping with that person on the same scene and we started to see how much they could last by pushing complex interactions)
I guess if the RP was good a not hindered I'd actually applaud their multitasking ability but human brains have not proven efficient enough.

....were playing an alt at all?
No, do whatever the fuck you want

....were playing an alt in the same sim?
Same, have fun

....were playing an alt in your same story as you?
Sure... an ALT is not an issue is the motivations behind the keyboard that make any ALT or metagaming an issue.

Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?
I rather not, if they are really close friends I think it might be weird if I found out before they told me. Depending on the interactions and meaning that person was hiding for I could be extremely surprised and happy or disappointing and awkward. Its a matter of intentions.

I agreed with mods asking people not to ALT on the same sim because generally by human nature we end up affecting our roleplay if we cross information on one character and we tend to go towards interactions. The panther usually is snobbed for obvious reasons and goes in a town alt though if all panthers do this the panther camp ends up dying. Basically this ends up always happening.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
User avatar
Glaucon
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:27 am

Ah, right. The 'alt-thing' was a big bad, once, in SL Gor. "Oh! The kajira is unfaithful to me, her big ol' Master, because her alt..." "Ah, you are a Warrior of Ar! Ar! You can't also be a blacksmith in Treve on an alt!" "Waa, that Free Woman was seen having sex on an alt, of-Gor! She is a slut! I saw her when I was getting my virtual penis blown on the same of-Gor sim. Slut!" :roll:

Would it bother you if your RP partner(s):

....were playing an alt at the same time they were RPing with you? Like, during the exact same time but in a different scene somewhere else?

Not overly. As long as I didn't find it noticeable. I probably would notice, since I don't do the para-graph RP thing, with the long times between posts. When you RP at a faster pace of back-and-forth, you get a flow. For most people, it is not possible to RP that way in two scenes at once. Still, I guess I'd like to flatter myself in thinking that, if the RP was going well, most would likely not feel the need to be doing another scene at the same time. I mean... if someone wants to read two books at the same time, they can. Just not... what I would do. :|

Of course, with the weirdness that is para-graph RP, where you have time to go and cook dinner in between posts, because you are writing bad novels together, I guess it makes sense.

....were playing an alt at all?

Nope.

....were playing an alt in the same sim?

Not really. Though it can get confusing if there is too much alting. Especially when you KNOW they are alts. Many people make alts that are really similar, so you can't help but assume they are alts (even though the person him or herself might think they are nothing alike... people are blind to those obvious similarities, often)... but you assume they are the same person (because they are) and think of them as the same person, but you have to treat them like they are not, in character and out of character. That can be bothersome.

....were playing an alt in your same story as you?

Not really. I have been in RP's with someone playing 2 characters. It is fine. Whether I know or not (or am not sure). Have done it myself. As long as they remember to make their posts on the right account. :shifty:

Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?

Nope. Unless... well, if you talk to someone OOCly more than once, at greater length (as in, being OOCly friendly/friends) on both alts... it can be helpful to know they are the same person, obviously. At least, if they want you to know stuff about them, about their background, etc. Then again, some really want to keep their alts a secret. Which is fine with me. It is SL. SL allows for it, and it doesn't hurt anyone. Their prerogative. I think I can usually guess, but not always.

It does have a weird consequence, of course. You can be in the situation that you have 3 interesting people on your friends list... only to discover that it is just one, really. :facepalm:
User avatar
DarbyDollinger
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 am
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.
Location: Port Kar

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby DarbyDollinger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 am

I couldn't care less about any of those. The only one there's a question mark about is roleplaying two characters at the exact same time. I'd wonder whether you can do that and still provide good RP for the people you're playing with. But if you can, good luck to you.
User avatar
FeorieFrimon
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm
SL Name: Feorie Frimon
Contact:

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby FeorieFrimon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 pm

....were playing an alt at the same time they were RPing with you? Like, during the exact same time but in a different scene somewhere else?

I guess it depends how long I'm waiting for posts and if they become less 'meaty'. I think, for most players, people put more effort in things they are having fun with. The likelihood of each scene being equally awesome is pretty rare, and if that 'down time' between posts starts climbing, I start getting annoyed.

....were playing an alt at all?

This doesn't bother me...usually. But if my story line is on hold for days or weeks, and you are playing another character the whole time, I feel like that's kind of crappy. I see this happen a lot with slave players. Sure, you should be able to entertain yourself...even if you are playing a slave. But let's be honest here...RP is a lot easier and more fun if your Master shows up every once in awhile.

....were playing an alt in the same sim?

This doesn't bother me so much so long as I'm not waiting on you to continue playing, and your alt isn't effecting my story in some way that seems implausible.

....were playing an alt in your same story as you?

Same as above. This doesn't bother me so much so long as I'm not waiting on you to continue playing, and your alt isn't effecting my story in some way that seems implausible.

Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?

Generally speaking, no. For the most part, my IMs are quiet unless I'm RPing with someone that I'm ooc friends with, so it doesn't really matter who's doing the typing.
BUT...if there are three versions of you on my friends list, and you are chatting me up separately in IMS or purposely representing yourself as someone else behind the keyboard, that's a little weird for me. I get it; it's the internet and you don't HAVE to tell anyone anything, but it feels deceitful to me. It would change the way I feel about continuing a story with you when I eventually found out.
User avatar
Glaucon
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:Do you think players shoulder tell you if they are playing alts with you? Like, they have more than one character in your story, played by the same typist?
No, in fact, I'd rather not know- unless they're OOC friends, then I'd be all chatty OOC in IM's with them laughing about shit anyway. LOL Otherwise, I don't need/want to know.


This is a good point. Often, it is actually more FUN, RP-wise, not to know someone is an alt of someone else you know. I remember one or two cases when I told another person about an alt, and them appearing a little disappointed. It can break immersion. And they were thinking there were at least two people as impressively annoying as me, and it turned out there was only one...

FeorieFrimon wrote:Generally speaking, no. For the most part, my IMs are quiet unless I'm RPing with someone that I'm ooc friends with, so it doesn't really matter who's doing the typing. BUT...if there are three versions of you on my friends list, and you are chatting me up separately in IMS or purposely representing yourself as someone else behind the keyboard, that's a little weird for me. I get it; it's the internet and you don't HAVE to tell anyone anything, but it feels deceitful to me. It would change the way I feel about continuing a story with you when I eventually found out.


I kinda agree and disagree. I mean, even if you talk to someone OOCly quite a bit on two of their alts, it is not necessarily bad if they keep an alt a secret, as long as they don't abuse you not knowing in any way. I assume people may be alts, so, I don't necessarily feel 'deceived' when they don't tell me. It is SL, after all. 'Be who you want to be' and all. Including being 2 people when you are just 1, as far as I am concerned. Feeling 'deceived' because they kept it secret is in the eye of the beholder, depends on your expectations. Of course, if they use it against you, somehow, use it to trip you up, pry things from you that you would not share willingly to the other alt or something, then that is another matter.

One thing that I do think is really bad form and annoying: Boasting about your alt-ing begotten knowledge to someone, holding 'knowing things about them' over them, and then not telling them which alt you were. Doing it as a light-hearted joke is one thing (I have done that), but some annoying people in SL really love doing this. "I know all about you, and you don't know me. Muhahahah!" Personally, I don't care that much, but plenty of people do. It makes them uncomfortable. It causes some to delete accounts and make new ones. It is a bit shitty.
User avatar
Glaucon
Posts: 2832
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Let's Talk About 'Alts'

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 pm

FeorieFrimon wrote:This doesn't bother me...usually. But if my story line is on hold for days or weeks, and you are playing another character the whole time, I feel like that's kind of crappy. I see this happen a lot with slave players. Sure, you should be able to entertain yourself...even if you are playing a slave. But let's be honest here...RP is a lot easier and more fun if your Master shows up every once in awhile.


Oh, I think this is an interesting aspects of 'ALTING ETHICS' (tm.)' :thumbup:

Maybe it is the most important 'problem' with alting. It can be really annoying for sims and story-lines to have an alt come in, assume a role in an RP setting (sim, story, M/s or D/s relationship etc.) and then become mostly absent. Of course, people should play what they want to play as, and maybe you sometimes just feel like playing alt X instead of Y. But if you make something of an RP commitment by assuming a pivotal role in a sim, an RP, someone's SL, it can be less than nice if you then stop playing that account, putting everything on hold while you go do something else that is fun. RL must come first and all. Healthy attitude. SL RP 'obligations' are relative. But if you assume some role and then decide you'd rather log onto your black bull ghetto rapist character for quick pixel sex instead, after just having been made Ubar of Ubaristan and having collared 5 slaves, companioned 1 FW and declared war on 3 neighboring cities, you may be acting a bit selfishly. Just a little.

Return to “General RP Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron