This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Lately, I have been seeing some avi's that were all undefined and blocky. It seems their avatar was too complex and was stopped from rendering by viewer's settings. I figured out I could render them anyway, with some button-clicking. But it let me to wonder (as I was toying with a weird mesh avatar myself): what is an acceptable level of avatar complexity? At what number do avatars stop rendering for most SL users? Is there a kind of 'norm' to it?
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Avatar Complexity

Postby Oor » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:53 pm

No idea. I just dial complexity up to max and leave it there!
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 pm

You set your own limits of avatar complexity rendering. I have mine on "no limit", it never changes. I thought that lowering it for some crowded events would help a lot with the lag, but I have still a better result when I just derender everyone.

You fix that in "preferences", "Graphics", "General":
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:49 pm

And you can save the settings now so it helps when you have the settings for crowds and those for taking pictures. Derendering people for me is also the one way to go. I don't think rendering people as jelly beans helps much with controlling the cpu.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:23 am

Hi Glaucon :) Good to have you back!

The default setting as far as I know is rendering avatars with a complexity up to 80k. But since people can customize their settings you never truly know, except Firestorm tends to send a message on occasion about how many percent of avatars in a sim has settings that allows them to see you. When I make outfits i TRY to stay under 80k, except when I am in my selfish mood and don't give a damn and want to wear that one awesome but technically absolutely horrendously made mesh hair that shoots my complexity to 300k aaaall on its own :D Luckily with these new settings if that gives people problems they can just send me to jellybaby land without me even knowing it. I have noticed a vast difference at huge events when I change my settings to only render people under 20k. I still see some avatars and the rest are jelly babies. It's still a bit more fun than just derendering everybody.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks Manon, and all.

Gives me something to aim for. So, I guess... if I were to aim for something, it would be to try and keep it under 80, to remain under the default limit, while never knowing exactly what the settings of others will be. And up my own standard value some, since I usually don't hang out at SL wedding parties.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:02 pm

I keep my setting around 120k. If I encounter someone I want to interact with who renders as jelly baby I up the value till I can see them properly. If I go exploring and want to see all the amazingly different and fun avatars I might encounter I go all out on the scale so nobody renders as jelly babies. My pc hates me then but I have a great time cam perving and snatching paparazzi photos :P
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:52 pm

Depends on your PC. I can keep it cranked up to unlimited even on the busiest sims without issue... but even on my newest top-end gaming rig, SL still needs to be restarted every few (4-5) hours on busy sims before it starts lagging.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:24 am

Firestorm's Bento update, and Bento heads/hands are out now.

So if you start seeing mesh heads squashed into a ball, you'll need a viewer update!

Return to “General RP Discussions”