The Annual "Gor Sims" Update!

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Re: The Annual "Gor Sims" Update!

Postby Qingwen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Tantus wrote:
Qingwen wrote:I'm trying out Tales of Omar. Just had one RP so far but it was fun. Cool build - the evil guys have some nifty torture chambers. If you go exploring, be careful of the firey pit of doom (you'll know it when you fall in and immolate yourself :D )

I haven't gotten to look into it yet, but what is the deal with handing in NCs of roleplay to level up?!

I tried this out too. Roleplay earns you experience points, which, once you have enough, can convert to ability and skill points. Kinda clever actually - it encourages people to seek out others in RP. Plus they then get posted to the site so everyone can read them. Quests sound intriguing too, which is another way to earn experience points.
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 am

This is in reply to the poster on page 3 who said [sic] "And there, you're doing it right. You have a shitty sim..." This morning, Valkyrie Forest traffic report was 31,330 and not for the reasons you stated:

- We aren't tolerant of nonsense as you put it.
- Most people on our sim dress Torvie/northern, Gorean, or as Panthers. We do get observers.
- We do care about RP contrary to what you said.
- Valkyrie Forest rarely gets raided. We aren't really a raid and pew pew sim. I can count on one hand, maybe once or twice a month we might see a big raid. Sometimes we get smaller skirmishes, but we have nearly 400 panthers in Valkyrie and most people won't raid us due to the large size of our band. They might wait till our numbers drop, come at night when most are asleep. Our traffic comes from our big group, residents and visitors, roleplayers.
- We don't label our sim as BTB. We say we're northern themed. We would fit in the GE category. We aren't trying to fool anyone or rewrite the books. We may have rewritten Gor in SL unwittingly however. There were almost no longships, longhalls, Torvie themes on panther and many Gorean sims before the Valkyrie came along 8 years ago.

I'm not trying to be mean or snarky with the poster, but whenever our scouts visited her BTB sim years ago, her sim was always either empty or there were maybe one or two people there (her in her skybox and maybe another admin in another skybox and maybe one rper on the ground who was always AFK and not friendly to us OOC or IC). I don't think the poster's sim exists today. It doesn't mean it was a failure. She did it her way. And maybe she was happy doing it exactly her way. But I can't do it exactly her way. I can't afford it. I can't follow a strict BTB religious orthodoxy. I want lots of people to come to my sim to have fun and roleplay. I need to be flexible. And I have to come up with $300 every month to pay the Linden gods their tier tribute. Where am I going to get it? I just looked in my purse and counted the money I have in there to pay the Lindens. Both dollars. And a maxed out credit card I used to buy food, clothes, gas, and school supplies. Nopez, I don't think the Lindens will accept both dollars with a sad excuse I'll try to do better next month. They'll say laterz and shut my sim down. So I depend upon the good will of strangers, visitors, residents, tribe members, to donate to my sim. It's their kindness and generosity which has kept my group and sim on top and thriving for so many years.

The SL grid is shrinking. Thousands of sims have closed in the past few years. There are fewer people, fewer resources. We have to compete for the same faces, or the alts of the same people, that move like a dwindling herd of fickle sheep to graze from one pasture to another. People rave about BTB sims but they all use the same mesh builds everybody else does, mostly Alex Bader or Fanatik items created by Kendra Zaurak. We still can't use textures over 1024 and that's discouraged and downgraded to 512 or smaller to speed up rezzing. Not much has changed in SL over the years except for better mesh bodies (at least we don't have to put up with our breasts looking like they were cut and assembled with scissors and paste) and maybe a slight improvement in some builds. And the Bento stuff isn't as ah-mazing as people think; people clap like seals and act like it's all that and a bag of chips. You're like starving beggars doing hand springs deliriously happy over crumbs tossed your way for your meal and have no idea of the potential banquet feast hidden in the next building up the road. I have a dream of future virtual worlds that will truly amaze you, but it isn't here now. And guys, do you really, really want us to look ghetto with big asses and scowling vamp faces and open, gap toothed mouths with down turned pouty lips? Really?

Remember how everyone here on the forums was going ape over Blue Mars and how it was going to revolutionize the game of Gor? I remember visiting Blue Mars and thought, is everyone smoking crack? You had to download the entire freaking world and to move about was painful and slow - you had to point your mouse and mark a spot just to walk to that point. I knew that world was going to fail and it really didn't last long. Virtual reality has a great future but not in the near term... we have a long ways to go. Meantime, you might have BTB Bigcocksburg sim beat their chest like gorillas and declare war on BTB Mightyroosterdickville sim with the threat we'll bring all our warriors to raid you... both people.

But I digress... Valkyrie Forest traffic is consistently high because we are flexible, unique, and welcome visitors and roleplay. We don't follow an authoritarian orthodox rp religion and decide for people how to strictly roleplay. Personally I para-rp, or semi-para (is that a word?), or often enough I deliver a line or two. There is no one way to do things. Sometimes we're ahead of BTB Ar, sometimes behind. Sometimes we range in the 20,000s, sometimes the 30,000s, sometimes we have hit the 40,000s. But we are consistent in that we bring people to the sim. You can do it with your sim too! That is my message to you.

Below are some screen shots of Valkyrie Forest traffic in this morning's report. If you type "panther" or "panthers" we're on top. If you type in "torvie" we're on top. If you type in "gor" or "gorean" we drop down to six behind the Gor Hub, a BDSM site, a Gor welcome center, and a skybox store. The only Gorean sim ahead of us by 32,792 to our 31,330 is Helheim. BTB Ar is down to number 12. But they are often higher up the list. What they have in common are good sims, good tags, and a desire to succeed. They're doing it right! You can do this too! See below:

https://puu.sh/todLz/2253371963.jpg

https://puu.sh/todPW/751f63fd07.jpg

https://puu.sh/todSv/09de0bd023.jpg
What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Danika, the sim to which you're referring has been co-owned by me for 4 weeks. After, I resigned and it has been owned by another person you know well. And the experience of trying to set up a panther girl band which was perfectly BTB, as well in their behavior, actions and dressing, was indeed, a fail.
But typically, in SL Gor, most people don't want to make any kind of effort, nor challenge their creativity in dealing with the limits imposed by the codes of the Gorean culture.

But before, I co-owned Kaelus, BTB sim, a very decent one actually, with a traffic which every week-end reached the 40K and more. I admit, of course, that BTB sims tend not to last more than a few months, unlike the lame ones (which stay open for years). When the admin get tired or the storyline which entertained people ends, the sim starts dying.

Now, let's see the Valkyrie sim, this example of good Gorean Torvi RP... I went to take a quick look. I didn't take a pic of the many blond AFK panthers, nor of visitors, nor of observers. And I wonder if you and I have the same interpretation of what is the Torvaldsland style fashion, and definitely, a very different one regarding panther girls. In my books, they don't run naked in the woods with high heels boots, nor topless, they don't wear weird tattoos, nor nipple piercings, nor painted nails. And definitely, any sim labelling itself Gor shouldn't accept this joke of snowflake that pretends to RP a "kurri experiment"...

You said you were not tolerant with non sense...?

You have traffic, indeed. But the RP you propose is clearly, as you said yourself "rewritten Gor", and globally, people are rather free to RP whatever non sense they want.
So, stop trying to lecture those who want a sim with a lore which will respect truly the essence of the culture as it as been described by Norman and who will impose limits to their players. Keep your advices for owners of GE sims.
You have a successful -GE- sim. Not one where the Gorean culture is well played, respected, with people playing an authentic Gorean character. And I'm not saying it's wrong... GE sims have their place in Second Life. Just, as I said, none of your advices interest those who want to implant authentic Gorean standards in their sim.

The day where you will try to impose these standards, I assure you, your traffic will drop. Drastically.
Danika Stenvaag

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 pm

That last picture on the bottom of your photo collection is Jaraziah Lowell, the maker of the GM Meter most people wear in SL Gor; aka Mews in the cat suit (with the ooc Kurii Experiment tag worn as a joke - and you're tag reading)! You're cherry picking the worse cases. That top girl nakies doesn't belong to the tribe. The others are just cubs and noobs still undergoing training. The robust one in the tunnel AFK is an active roleplayer and also brand new to Gor. She's on Euro time and comes alive at odd hours.You can take pictures of anything, people and places, and frame it any way you like making your subject look good or bad. I can go to any BTB sim and do the same thing and cherry pick too. You can even make a beautiful celebrity look ugly or beautiful depending on your shot. We have new people joining us almost daily, and we have older and experienced roleplayers. And then you have villagers. It's an eclectic mix of characters. It may not be for everyone here but it's all fun. Why so mad? No need to be constipated about this. Lighten up, laugh, have some fun. It's a game. I wouldn't presume to lecture you on how to run a BtB sim; and if I enter a BtB sim, I won't be armed or dressed inappropriately. I will follow the rules and laws of that sim in keeping with the writings of John Norman. On Valkyrie, we run things differently and use the Gor platform because it's the most active roleplay environment.

But hey! Some pics further down. Even I will sometimes run nakies in the summer time and flash my tatas (I'm not brave enough in real life to expose my breasts this way!) and I don't care if I'm not being a strict BtB panther. Being wild and free, woo hoo! Here I was changing my sim from fall to winter and I needed to put on some clothes ha ha... You can see further down that one man seems a bit... ummm... bewildered! Actually just a friend. And further down dressed in my winter clothes. I love to dress in a northern shieldmaiden style. Down at the bottom I'm sitting in my En chair giving a talk to some assembled Valkyrie (the sucky thing about mesh clothes is the stiffness as you can see here the way it sticks out when I sit. Oh, well). The girl with the blue hair just came back from a party and changed it to brunette after the pix were snapped.

https://puu.sh/toEGo/b7e1fbd9bd.jpg

https://puu.sh/toELA/c6328c971b.jpg

https://puu.sh/toEPi/a55eb5e630.jpg

https://puu.sh/toERu/d2f3074ec7.jpg

https://puu.sh/toEUD/7382a48737.jpg

https://puu.sh/toEWG/38141cfffb.jpg

https://puu.sh/toF1e/1178b11dac.jpg

https://puu.sh/toFbJ/ef283a46ef.jpg

https://puu.sh/toH6d/4ca6ef795a.jpg

Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 pm

Why shouldn't I read tags when I'm OOC, not playing, and take pics of people who are not OOC and standing in RP areas?

Second, all these people whose pic I took wear the sign of your tribe, these feathers in their hair. And they are in your sim, accepted in your sim.

I don't see what you want to prove with your pics, because just the one of your pixels, well, that outfit looks great (I have it myself), but for a Conan or other fantasy sim. Definitely not for a Gorean one, nor for a panther girl.

But actually, it doesn't matter. Your sim is GE and I saw worse in GE sims where I played myself. Just, stop giving advices and lecture to people who don't share your standards for their sim. Stop comparing your GE sim with theirs. What works for a GE sim won't work for a sim where high standards are set. And it doesn't matter if at the end, their efforts fail. Because these people would never be happy in sims like yours, because they would be totally unable to get an immersion.

The day when you will run a successful and authentic by-the-books sim (and not one like some the lame ones already on the grid), you will be credible. Actually, you're not. You know how to make a succesful GE sim, but it's all.
Danika Stenvaag

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:32 pm

You wouldn't be happy. Other people are happy. I think you missed my point. I'm not lecturing people on how to run a BtB sim. This isn't BtB vs. GE. It isn't about which is better, BtB or GE or lowering your standards. I'm offering advice based on my experience on how to run a successful roleplay sim. The fundamentals of this advice can be applied to any roleplay theme sim. It works for us and that's how we can achieve high traffic and bring fun into people's lives and how I can pay for my sim. It's how we lasted for so many years and how anyone can.Those stats above are our lifeblood. You can take this advice or leave it but arguing about which is more right than the other is like two religions arguing or two kids arguing over comic book characters; who's stronger, Superman or Godzilla? Angels dancing on a pin. With all due respect, I'm in this for as long as I can keep this sim and group up and running.

Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:01 pm

And I think you missed my point: We don't need your advices to run a successful RP sim. The majority of people, here, and especially those who ran a Gorean sim,have interest in decent Gorean sims, with -authentic Gorean- role play, with players whose character's behavior, personality, actions and appearance will perfectly adjust to the surrounds, the codes and the customs of the Gorean culture.

You do not have this kind of sim. If you tried to enforce these standards in your own sim, your traffic would drop, drastically.

So, keep your advices for your GE fellows and stop bragging about the traffic of a GE sim (which most of the times doesn't reach 30K).
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Qingwen wrote:I tried this out too. Roleplay earns you experience points, which, once you have enough, can convert to ability and skill points. Kinda clever actually - it encourages people to seek out others in RP. Plus they then get posted to the site so everyone can read them. Quests sound intriguing too, which is another way to earn experience points.

Remember those BTB sims where slaves wore a 'Level 1 Kajira' tag? I'd feel like one of them handing in Chores NCs to advance levels!!

Has anyone had an experience with an... SL Experience?

The Official Forums give the impression of another abandoned LL project. Though there are RP sims using Experiences, like Amazon River and Ruins of Xenark, I've yet to RP on them. The point of Experiences is, you grant them permission once then objects in the sim can act on your avatar without further permission popups.

► Show Spoiler

Allow the Experience and every time you enter the sim, their Meter and HUD will be auto-attached to your avatar and detaches when you TP out. These items don't show in your inventory, they're force-attached onto you.

To attack (or heal) in Xenark, you cam onto their avatar and initiate the Attack Roll through your HUD. It automatically factors stats into the roll and gives an immediate output:

[07:22] Ruins of Xenark - HUD: <Attack Emote> (P1 attempted to attack P2 (rolls 52 vs. 44) and succeeded, causing 20 damage. The target's current HP is 80.)

Their system also includes an inventory and XP points to level up. The Amazon River uses a live combat system where GM weapons can be used, but ammo is limited. Their inventory items are actual objects too, which you take into your SL inventory after hunting animals. Then rez the meat back onto the ground to eat it, as they have a hunger mechanic in place.

These Experiences are versatile in how you can use them. If you have furnishing using AVsitter scripts(Dutchie, Stockholm&Lima, Botanical and many other creators use them), you can make use of the AVsitter Experience on your own land. It takes two permissions to begin:

About Land > Experiences tab on the right, add AVsitter (by Code Violet)
It's also in the Estate menu to allow/ban Experiences estate wide.

Then allow the Experience for your avatar. From the menu bar. Avatar > Experiences
Add AVsitter (by Code Violet)

So now it's active on the land and the avatar, you can sit on any furniture using AVsitter scripts and when you change poses, it can auto-attach a reading book, fishing rod, rowing oars, body harnesses, whips etc, without needing to ask permission each time you switch poses. It won't send items into your inventory and expect you to manually attach them, now it happens automatically through the Experience.

So the big(?) question is, could Experiences work in BTB as an alternative to the GM meter. If BTB was a WoW server, everyone would like to think it's a hardcore PvP server, but it's a PvE-RP server. Without the PvE.

Experiences could add Dice Combat, Inventories, manage the weapons you can carry/attach and add Meaningful PvE to Gor! With city warriors and mercenaries required to ride out and meet the encroaching NPC bandit menace! Or involve yourself in banditry by attacking players and NPC's to loot them. The combat can be improved from simple dice rolls, with formations and attack styles factored into the outcome. However, with BTB being a wife-simulator in its present state, it's doubtful if men can detach themselves from cuddling for long enough to commit Gorean acts!
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Tantus wrote:
Qingwen wrote:I tried this out too. Roleplay earns you experience points, which, once you have enough, can convert to ability and skill points. Kinda clever actually - it encourages people to seek out others in RP. Plus they then get posted to the site so everyone can read them. Quests sound intriguing too, which is another way to earn experience points.

Remember those BTB sims where slaves wore a 'Level 1 Kajira' tag? I'd feel like one of them handing in Chores NCs to advance levels!!

I do not. And that makes me glad to be a Gor noob! Also makes me wonder what skills they acquired as they leveled up.. Level 1 kajira sounds risky..

As for Experiences, haven't tried them in RP but every year the SL Japanese community has some awesome haunted houses, like mini movies you can participate in. Last year was a haunted school - I died so many gruesome ways :D

Maybe Sansar will be the better place for that? Wonder who will build the first Gor sim on that platform..
http://www.roadtovr.com/sansar-release- ... liden-lab/
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Sin
SL Name: Sin Schnyder

Postby Sin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Sasi wrote:
So, keep your advices for your GE fellows and stop bragging about the traffic of a GE sim (which most of the times doesn't reach 30K).

Another year, another thread about Valkyrie traffic, which is nothing if not consistent, given that it is still made up of mostly afk avatars. (At time of writing, 15 out of 18 avatars on sim were afk).

Return to “General RP Discussions”