The Problem with Mainland

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

The Problem with Mainland

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sun May 29, 2016 4:25 pm

So, I've had a chunk of mainland for years now. Nothing fancy, but it gives me a place to build and have a little skybox and a store if I want.

I am now the only person with land on the sim, and the rest of it is abandoned.

Has anyone ever tried to have an RP sim on mainland? Pros? Cons?
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: The Problem with Mainland

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Well, other than the fact that at one time, the Mainland was busy and you'd run the risk of random people wandering across your land (I think it's pretty dead these days, though)- I've heard it's much laggier than the private sims, and given the needed script amount for most roleplay sims and roleplayers, it's been prohibitively so in the past.

That might have changed, though?
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Mon May 30, 2016 12:03 am

Main issue with mainland is that if you increase your draw distance, you load everything there is in a most absurd radius because the islands are... endless. So, it's laggy and not very pleasing.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Mon May 30, 2016 1:16 am

What about a giant.....sky platform thing?

There are so many factors in lag...would that help, assuming you didn't have a million other things in your draw distance? If it was high enough up? Maybe coupled with a cool surround or something?
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon May 30, 2016 9:27 am

A build high up in the sky will be fine(2000m - 4000m), your viewer shouldn't load anything from the ground unless you cam down.

The concerns for a Mainland build are being connected to 8 sims, all of those neighbours and all of their unsightly builds. And you probably wouldn't use a 'sim surround' as it'll extend into neighbouring sims and onto their land. Physically it's not there and they could just derender it, but that depends on the virtual neighbours you have.

Depending on the size of your parcel you could use a sphere/dome. Rez a megaprim and make your own enclosure, or buy something like Turnip's Skydome for 1000L, they go up to 180mx180m, large enough for a 1/4 plot.

Tips for building in the sky! Know the size of your parcel. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P turns on parcel lines, build a box within those borders for your platform. When it fits perfectly, in your Edit tab, the "Position" X and Y give the centre of your plot. These are the coordinates your dome will sit on. When you OCD on numbers like I do, then alignment is important :)

Send the platform up by changing Position Z to 2000m. Then easily transport yourself up with the go-to-height chat command:
gth 2001

flr -(floor)will send you back to the ground level.
Qingwen
SL Name: Qin

Postby Qingwen » Tue May 31, 2016 4:30 am

Tantus wrote:
Then easily transport yourself up with the go-to-height chat command:
gth 2001

flr -(floor)will send you back to the ground level.

8 years in sl and I never knew those chat commands. :lol: Good to know!
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Tue May 31, 2016 2:00 pm

We started Omen Valley on a main land skybox, later at ground level. We rarely had non Gorean visitors (we had mega big walls with landscapes around us).
I have also seen other Gor places on Mainland, most disturbing factor was the buildings of the neighbours. High sky scrapers, skyboxes every where, including an abundancy of advertising boards (as if everybody lives in Las Vegas).
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image

Return to “General RP Discussions”