Gor always draws you back...

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Nissala
SL Name: Nissalarue Resident
Role: Slave
Owner: Rylanyates

Gor always draws you back...

Postby Nissala » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi everyone. I'm not sure who might remember me from years past, but this is Cortez Brandriss. As Cortez has become a business avatar since I left Gor, I've decided that I'd need a new name for a new start. It's been some time since I've RPed on Gor, but I can tell you that I've missed it. I hope a few of you from my RP days might still be around.

If we've never met, then a big hello. I was very active here once and am excited to be so again. Please don't be shy to introduce yourselves.

So.. catch me up! What have I missed?
"Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be Notorious.” - Rumi
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Gor always draws you back...

Postby Tantus » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:47 am

SL Gor is not how you'll remember it from the days of Rovere, now it's "BTB Gor".

Infact, the US presidential race is a perfect parallel to what you'll encounter in this tiny microcosm of virtual Gor.

Donald Trump - The de facto personality of BTB Gorean men. Hard talking, abusive, ignorant, hasn't done a hard day's labour(or roleplayed captivity) in his life, but his attitude is hugely popular with the masses. BTB women want a 'strong man' like this at her side, and men are freely surrendering their intelligence to become one.

Ted Cruz - Smart, but too sleazy to trust. The Trumps are preferable to these guys because you rarely see them in actual roleplay. But they manage to bag themselves council seats in the cities they join through underhanded, OOC manoeuvring. Keep an eye on these guys to know when a sim's about to fall as they'll be the first to bail.

Marco Rubio - The always smiling, nice guys of BTB Gor. Get the fuck out.
No one knows why they entered the game, these are the guys who happily sit in cafes drinking tea with chatty Free Women. No one knows why they entered the game.

Bernie Sanders - The only man in the game who's read the Gorean Books, in his teens. And he read them again through the IRC days, and again when he came to SL Gor. With his old school principles, Bernie could probably make Gor work again, but when he logs in to see the mess BTB Gor has become, he logs back out to spend his mortality on worthier pursuits.

Hilary Clinton - The epitome of a BTB Free woman of Gor. Women hate her. Women want to be her. No one will ever respect Hilary for sticking by her FC when he cheated on her with a slutty slavegirl(We are talking BTB here). Love her or hate her, Hilary has read the books too, she knows just the quotes to use to make BTB Gor more comfortable for women. With the Rubios sharing tea at her table and the gruff Trumps on gate duty, the Hilarys are putting in the effort which men don't, they're taking positions which men haven't earned. So BTB Gor has been moulded into their image of what Gor should be.

So find those few people who still have a clue, roleplay your Gorean tales with them and you'll do fine.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi, Cortez- I remember seeing you on the Gorums! Welcome back! :)

What's different? Well...I'll give my take, but take it with a grain of salt because I honestly haven't played much in SL Gor in recent years, just dabbled a bit briefly in a few sims before getting bored and wandering off or else seeing someone being an asshat to someone else OOC and getting bummed out and slipping off to avoid drama and people being ugly to each other OOC. So, to my admittedly slight experience lately, the RP is either so dull and predictable that I can't find anything worth giving up my limited free time for, or else people are acting so ridiculously shitty to each other OOC that it's like being in highschool again and I don't have any patience for that either.

There are standouts, almost every sim has a few people who are nice OOC, fun to roleplay with, and welcoming of new people or people they don't know. I've been lucky enough to chance upon a few ever sim I go to, and I'm always grateful for any fun bit of roleplay that comes my way, and new friends made along the way, but it does seem like these days, the roleplay is geared towards people who are quasi-lifestylers (who often consider themselves straight roleplayers, yet still treat people differently according to the role they play), who have hours and hours every day to be on sim and interacting with people, and who have their own group or 'family' they play with almost exclusively. If you're a single roleplayer without a clique or 'family', and don't have but an hour or two a few nights a week, it's really hard to get anything significant going in roleplay.

It's not impossible, though- my advice would be check out some sims, hit people up you'd like to roleplay with for ideas on how you could jump in with them, try to plan some stuff out with people when possible (unless you have a lot of time to allow things to develop organically), and jump in, try something out- if it doesn't work, reroll your character and try something else.

If you're of a lifestyler bent, you'll find plenty of sims and players of like mind to fall in with. If you're a straight roleplayer, you may have more trouble, but if you're open to compromise, you might find places and people to play with. I think the key is to find people of like mind, that you like playing with, and get 'in' with them, whether a family, faction, group, etc. unless you have a lot of time and don't mind wandering around till you run into someone what will roleplay with you. Whatever happens, best of luck! I keep dipping my toes back in the Gor setting as well, there's still something about it that I love, and there are still a few good roleplayers in almost every sim, but overall things seem much more insular and standoffish than they were in the past, so it's more of a chore to get any good roleplay plots going. One definite plus, with all the new mesh stuff, people overall look much prettier, builds are generally more interesting, and there are a lot more possibilities that we didn't have with prims/sculpties.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Nissala
SL Name: Nissalarue Resident
Role: Slave
Owner: Rylanyates

Postby Nissala » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm actually surprised to see these forums so quiet, though I think when I left Gor we saw a lot of players shifting their writing to other genres and sims -- GOT was just airing on HBO and I imagine a lot of my RP friends moved in that direction.

Tantus -- I've been following the election like a hawk. You're comparisons are pretty spot on. I'm actually surprised to hear of how BTB Gor seems to be at this point. I was very active at a time I felt like BTB was taking over. I was part of the founding of Parsit's Landing and eventually went on to start my own sim, The Road to Caffa. I don't know if either of these places ring a bell, but I feel like that sort of BTB is exactly what I am hoping to find again in SL.

Tamar -- It is good to see you! Thank you so much for your detailed rundown. At this point, I am mostly just searching to see what sort of sims and players still exist. I am pretty certain that most of the RPers from my time have abandoned Gor completely, though maybe they are hiding in the wings. I consider myself a pretty detailed writer, and am not looking for any OOC interaction at all. If you have a list of sims that are active, I would greatly appreciate it. I did a little snooping and everywhere seemed rather empty. Maybe it was just the times I was on.
"Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be Notorious.” - Rumi
-Scar-
SL Name: Byron Greenwood
Caste: Black Caste
Role: Master of the Lodge
Home Stone: The Black Lodge

Postby -Scar- » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Now, I remember Parsit’s Landing, for sure. Passed by there several times, though fairly briefly. I remember having damn good roleplay there. I think Tamar’s pretty much summed up my view on what SL Gor is like, having also returned from some years absence and after some wandering around. Sais is pretty active in SLT evenings, but it’s Sais, and is currently hostile to the Black Caste (though still respects it). I’ve had some decent roleplay in Svagos, a new (to me) BtB Para-RP project, which seems pretty welcoming of anyone and is also relatively active. The new City of Ti gave me some very old school roleplay (and has a very old school build, too), and they seem to be carrying on with Adamark Susenko’s legacy. I’m currently debating on accepting their offer to reside there as their Black Caste representative. Elsewhere, things seem at a quiet ebb. Olni has occasional population, and some of the old GE regions, like Valkyrie Forest, are popping still.
Scar - Assassin of Gor
Elgin Loring, Feb 24, 2009: Byron is one scary bastard, he unnerves me most when he is making an effort NOT to be scary.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:53 pm

City of Ti is again one of those sims which mix IC and OOC and where slave players are considered like some sub category of rpers. Here a sample of their rules:

13) City slaves will not be taken to non-Gorean sims without express permission of the staff of the city kennel. City slaves will not RP in sims that are not BTB.

14) City slaves are discouraged from using RLV. Do not ask to be put on their collar unless you are renting them. A Free who rents a city slave will be put on their collar as “Second Owner”. The slave will call that Free “Master” or “Mistress”. The honorific “my” is reserved for someone on their collar as “First Owner”.

28) Slaves arriving at the City of Ti in search of a specific person will wait at the landing or contact a moderator so there is no confusion.

31) Please remember that IMs are OOC (Out of Character). Do not IM city slaves for sexual services since city slaves are not allowed to perform sexual services in IMs. Harassment of a slave OOCly is taken no less seriously than harassment of a Free. Complaints of OOC harassment of any resident of the city may be taken to the slave’s owner or the sim moderators.

See, when you play a slave in this sim, you're not even considered as being a full mature adult able to deal yourself with any OOC issue, you are even told what you can or cannot RP in your IMs. But everyone knos that slave players are poor little fragile and vulnerable things that sim owners have to protect against abuses.... So typically SL Gor where 95% of people can't just play a fictive character and focus on role play without blurring the IC/OOC lines.

Outdated build, too (like most Gorean RP sims).
Tamar Luminos

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:03 pm

MFW Someone tries to tell me what I can and can't do OOC because of the fantasy role I'm playing in a roleplay sim.

"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:19 am

As long as the sim owners won't stop assuming that every woman who RPs in SL Gor joined this genre to explore her DS kinks and will continue to impose their own perception of Gor as being more than a game, they will continue to treat women like subs who need some sort of OOC control instead of treating everyone, when OOC, on an equal level, as strict role players.

It's really one of my pet peeves... Why is it so difficult for so many people in SL Gor to accept that many of us came to Gor because it's a fantasy adult themed RP, easy to approach, to understand, often glamour as well as violent, sometimes bloody and even, political? But most sim rules seem to be written for those who constantly blur theIC/OOC lines and submissive women who are looking to experience their bdsm kinks in a more exotic environment than the average bdsm sim....
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:01 am

Those rules, are you fucking kidding me?

That sim needs to be flamethrowered to ash, that's the worst set of rules I've ever seen.

And anyone who would literally agree to having their SL controlled based entirely on choosing to play a specific role in a specific sim needs to have their head examined.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Tamar Luminos

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:15 am

It's lifestyler stuff. And you know, it's ok if that's what they want. It's not what I want, but I am pretty clear about what I want, to roleplay. I get my D/s kicks IRL, SL is a pretty pale comparison to that, so I don't need some rando dude/chic thinking I wanna be "cyberdommed" in my IM's or OOC cuz I so totally don't. I just wanna roleplay a cool character in a fantasy setting, get some epic storylines going, and if they happen to have D/s in them, and it fits the setting, great! I'm so totally cool with that, but trying to blur the line and edge into my OOC with that shit and we've got problems.

I think lifestyler sims have their place, and I wish they were a bit more obvious about advertising what they are, instead of trying to call themselves roleplay sims, or BtB, when they so totally aren't. I dunno what this City of Ti is calling itself, but those rules are for lifestylers, folks who don't mind people pushing into controlling their OOC, and I know there are still a bunch of them out there, thinking that's how Gor roleplay is supposed to be, not realizing that that's not really...roleplay. But eh. They're pretty damned easy to spot and avoid if that's not your thing, all you have to do is glance at the rules, like the ones Sasi posted.

Return to “General RP Discussions”