Challenging RP or just Challenged RP'ers?

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Challenging RP or just Challenged RP'ers?

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:23 pm

"The Gorean books are written for highly intelligent, highly sexed adults, of both sexes" - John Norman

Whether or not you agree with him blowing his own trumpet here, doesn't this seem to be the reverse observation of the vast majority of RP'ers in SL Gor ?
(Note I didn't say the Gorean Forums - you are all, of course, highly adept, knowledgeable, kinky and libidinous)

Does the genre just appeal to the opposite of what Norman considers his readers to be - Or is it just my bad luck to run into so many with the resulting desperate creativity to try to RP the heck out and away.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Challenging RP or just Challenged RP'ers?

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm

serene mistwood wrote:"The Gorean books are written for highly intelligent, highly sexed adults, of both sexes" - John Norman

Whether or not you agree with him blowing his own trumpet here, doesn't this seem to be the reverse observation of the vast majority of RP'ers in SL Gor ?
(Note I didn't say the Gorean Forums - you are all, of course, highly adept, knowledgeable, kinky and libidinous)

Does the genre just appeal to the opposite of what Norman considers his readers to be - Or is it just my bad luck to run into so many with the resulting desperate creativity to try to RP the heck out and away.

This made me laugh, because yes, this has been my observation as well- and it's always baffled me that some people choose to play in this genre and then are squeamish/prudish about sexual roleplay, about roleplaying the master/slave dynamic, and seem to be clueless about the significance of the concepts of the homestone, of caste, of the xenophobia and brutality and ferocity of the books. When I go into a Gor sim and it's all nice, and calm, and pleasant, and bloodless, and sex is all behind closed doors I start to wonder if I read the same set of books they did.

I'm not really sure why SL Gor has attracted the type of people who play the tame, watered-down, incredibly dull versions I've seen (I'm ignoring the pew pew because generally that doesn't seem to generate or add to roleplay that I've seen, sadly). All I can figure is people think it's an 'edgy' way to find a cyber hookup in IM's, in much the same way that a person watches the "50 Shades of Grey" movie and thinks they're an expert in BDSM. Or people think it's a titillating way to practice their 'political roleplay' storylines, which seem to be lifted from an equally watered-down, sexless, and bloodless GoT theme. I'm not really sure why. It seems if they wanted sexless and bloodless, there's so many other genres more suitable than Gor (or GoT, to be honest). Generic fantasy would fit the bill right off the bat. Fairies and princesses and elves- pretty people all playing at politics and smirking and insinuating and having families and babies and parties and whatnot...

But that's just my take.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:05 pm

Being highly intelligent when reading the books is very useful, it helps you not to take this non sense crap too seriously and always keep in mind it's only a fiction.
And highly sexed people? I suspect that most people, having or having not read the books, in SL Gor, are prude or missed the books were all about sex and slave girls, of women getting truly fulfilled when mastered by a strong man...

Guess it resumes well enough my theory:

[21:23] FW A turns her head and hears Warrior H " have you seen this girl before sir ?"
[21:26] Warrior H: "i have i think", replies, he has no intrest in sluts what so ever,"never bother to notice them much"

I was tempted to emote that my char suspected Warrior H to be gay, but it would have been a bad form RP (I'm not fond of those thought emotes), so, I just ran toward the inn to go fetch the woman the glass of water she asked me in the streets (seriously, people who can't figure a more thrilling interaction with a slave, than asking for a drink should better just ignore them, finally) and I ran into another player with whom I got an excellent and long scene and forgot the woman.

But basically, for the average SL Gor male, love and passion are for FW (when I played a FW, I could have been laid every 2 days, without having to make much effort), the kajira is the one who brings your drinks and performs chores, and the FW wants to flirt, to be a slut in the couch of their FC etc. A collar? Naaah! Whatever they do, their char never flirt with the collar, of course..........

If you play a slave and emote about lust, craving for a man's touch etc, with people who are not your usual RP partners, you are not unoften IC and OOCly frowned about... And people retort, when this subject is discussed, that it's how their character is, that they don't have to copy the books, that not all people in books are... blah blah blah...
(but if your slave character is not the norm, even if BTB, suddenly, they toss the books in your face....)

Most people in SL Gor forgot that the primary use of a slave is to serve men's pleasure... Not perform chores.

I will finish the little story I have since a few days with a man who is a creative RPer and makes me explore my character in depths, then, back to a free wench character!
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Unfortunately Gorean Role players have the reputation of leaning towards the more "challenged" side when it comes to their writing abilities or the ability to think outside the box. They don't get the concept of immersion. No one has quickies in the taverns. No one uses the bath houses. They can't seem to fathom that most Gorean Sims take place in busy cities with many, many people milling about including slaves. So to come up to a slave player out of the blue and say "hey slave that I don't know and is owned by someone, help me brand this girl right NOW" would be utterly unrealistic in this pretendy Sci Fi Genre we are taking a part in.

Sadly there is not enough sex in Gor in my opinion, particularly that one nighter type of Role Play you would think would be essential to the story. Or too much of the silent "fap, fap, fap", by your scene partner as a slave player, behind the screen where nothing happens at all ICly! I really enjoy seeing others emote RP sex, not for the thrill of it (well kind of ROFL) but more for the immersion of it. THERE IS NO SEX IN GOR!!! At least in public chat.

Like Tamar mentioned - I think Gor is more of a dating scene - a theme park way to find a partner or OOCly get your needs met through RP. Of course I have been guilty of that myself in years past, particularly when I was new and even then I would get frustrated in those situations with the lack of story. And forget about political RP in Gor - no one wants to die or be cast out or to lose their seat of power. Nobody wants to the loser!

I didn't realize in Gor that everyone is supposed to get a trophy or did I miss that memo somewhere.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 am

He wrote them for that particular audience. That is the audience that authentically enjoys them the most.

RPers are not necessarily that audience. Some are not readers. Some are not fond of the books for one excuse or another, which may be linked to the fact of not having read them.

What the RP, genre, or even the books themselves attract is entirely different from the audience John Norman intended his writing for.
Last edited by Garian on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:54 am

serene mistwood wrote:"The Gorean books are written for highly intelligent, highly sexed adults, of both sexes" - John Norman

Just when I am about to give up in despair, I find little pockets of roleplayers who are all that Norman describes. Hope springs eternal I guess!

Sasi wrote:Guess it resumes well enough my theory:

[21:23] FW A turns her head and hears Warrior H " have you seen this girl before sir ?"
[21:26] Warrior H: "i have i think", replies, he has no intrest in sluts what so ever,"never bother to notice them much"

I have encountered these sorts too.. I think it just means "my ooc partner said no fooling around". But I could be wrong.. never played a male character as yet so I only hear of their tribulations secondhand.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:56 am

Tamar Luminos wrote:I'm not really sure why SL Gor has attracted the type of people who play the tame, watered-down, incredibly dull versions I've seen (I'm ignoring the pew pew because generally that doesn't seem to generate or add to roleplay that I've seen, sadly).

I think it might also be something to do with the origins of Gorean role play in SL. It started with lifestylers, and lifestylers tend to feel a need to "defend" their lifestyle by stating with some repetition that it's not "just about sex slavery" - it's mostly about philosophy. They go on to mention honour and such, and successive generations of players who haven't read the books take that, in their "modern day" understanding of what honour is, in conjunction with the "free woman is inordinately precious" quotes they see littering profiles, and suddenly all the Nietzsche-esque, survival of the fittest, conquering of the weak basis of the genre is out the window, replaced by chivalrous medieval knights and ladies, with slaves reduced to water fetchers.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 am

If the community within the virtual world took on and/or better understood the moral views of Goreans, I think that would resolve many of the problems such as unlikely scenarios and even ooc drama.

Oor wrote:I think it might also be something to do with the origins of Gorean role play in SL. It started with lifestylers...

The rest of your point may be valid as part of the issue, however I doubt it is all of it and I doubt this is the origin of Gor SL considering there has been Gor internet culture many years prior consisting of RPers and lifestylers.

I think Gor RP appeals to many as a seemingly quick entry into the concept, though it has been muddled by such.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:20 pm

I think Oor is probably correct in the vast majority of RP'ers that think they are probably in some BDSM Medieval ye Olde Englande/ Imperium Rōmānum or Icelandic Vikings/noble savages type scenarios in SL Gor, rather than actually being on another planet.

Then again, most seem to be on another planet in their RL anyway.....
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:58 pm

I joined SL Gor in January 2007, I so, can confirm what Oor said, when she told it started with lifestylers. I first played a kajira, and it had been horrid (I'm far to be the most submissive woman in the world and I definitely dislike to be treated like a second class citizen...). People who were in SL Gor in 2007 (and 2006) were not interested by stories, they only wanted to live the lifestyle, IC as OOC.

I had friends rping in other environments who didn't believe SL Gor could be a RP environment, when I talked with them about my experiences.

2 months after, I started playing a FW (and enjoyed some stories) and also, an outlaw (female fighter...).

Return to “General RP Discussions”