Dominating Some one Else's Roleplay

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.

Do sims have the right to Rules that ensure that they can invalidate roleplay not related to them

Yes
20%
No
60%
Maybe (PLEASE Put Maybe at the top of your post and give an explanation)
20%

Total votes: 40
Festus
SL Name: Festus

Re: Dominating Some one Else's Roleplay

Postby Festus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm going to jump in here and give my views on what Alice has posted.

The "tit for tat" aspect has several reasons, one being just that, a sort of thumbing your nose at each other between GE and BTB sims. The other, and more appropriate reason is that it keeps from happening the situation where a person from a BTB sim is capped and taken to a GE sim, or vice versa, and a rescue raid is mounted. When the rescuers arrive, they are confronted with either a form of Gor they don't agree with, or the rescuers are made up of femlaws, which the BTB sim doesn't agree with. So this "never the twain shall meet" logic was born.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:40 am

For our group, we normally check with the person before we raid to see if they want to stay.

Normally we find out IC through the proper methods, if we can't...sorry. No can do.

If we know IC, but the person is enjoying it...then we leave it up to the person to let us know when they'd like a device to get out of the current situation...trade, siege...whatever.

The problem really only comes up when a person doesn't want to be there, they have issues with where they were taken but don't want to invalidate the RP. I wanted to ask this question, as we haven't had this problem yet as such but I thought i thought it would be cool to get some ideas from the abyss.
Blue Conover

Postby Blue Conover » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:52 am

JohnP wrote:I'm going to jump in here and give my views on what Alice has posted.

The "tit for tat" aspect has several reasons, one being just that, a sort of thumbing your nose at each other between GE and BTB sims. The other, and more appropriate reason is that it keeps from happening the situation where a person from a BTB sim is capped and taken to a GE sim, or vice versa, and a rescue raid is mounted. When the rescuers arrive, they are confronted with either a form of Gor they don't agree with, or the rescuers are made up of femlaws, which the BTB sim doesn't agree with. So this "never the twain shall meet" logic was born.

See I've yet to see a "btb" sim totally ban femlaws, they just all expect them to act like Women of Gor, and not fight.

the Sardar ruling is "if you come from a btb sim your banned" they don't check with the players their intentions they simple ban them outright, sometimes even just by reading their profiles.

and the complaint is "you raid us bringing all your men and we cant rescue"
but they can, they just cant bring women combatants.

The rule is born of the idea that "i must be allowed to do what i want at all times dispite what the world i claim to roleplay in says"
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Postby Shjade » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 am

Blue Conover wrote:nd the complaint is "you raid us bringing all your men and we cant rescue"

Not true in many cases. I've seen sims that say you can't attack if you belong to a sim/group with female fighters. Granted, if all they did was rescue their personnel and leave I doubt anyone would cause a fuss, but when was the last time you saw a rescue raid that didn't take some captives as a bonus?
Conversation is more useful than conversion.
Blue Conover

Postby Blue Conover » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:48 am

Shjade wrote:
Blue Conover wrote:nd the complaint is "you raid us bringing all your men and we cant rescue"

Not true in many cases. I've seen sims that say you can't attack if you belong to a sim/group with female fighters. Granted, if all they did was rescue their personnel and leave I doubt anyone would cause a fuss, but when was the last time you saw a rescue raid that didn't take some captives as a bonus?

About the last time I saw a Raid that didnt involve being told to tp home its invalidated.
Korben Larkham

Postby Korben Larkham » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:42 pm

You all are overthinking things.

The "tit for tat," or as I like to think of it, generalized ban, is not the product of a crazy vendetta or unrealistic crusade.

It is the result of overworked mods and admins, tired of dealing with headaches that stem from the same issue.

Ideally, everything could be decided on an individual basis, acknowledging everyone's rights as a special and unique snowflake, but that is just not realistic. If you find yourself occupied all the time with the same headaches over and over, time and again, you excise the source of those headaches and call it a day.

Sometimes, that means banning 1 person. Or a group. Or a style of play. Is it sometimes too extreme? Possibly. The one time I personally did something along these lines, when I was actively adminning, I decided to bar all players from a particular sim. At the time, I felt perfectly justified in doing it. But, I also realize that some of those people I now count as friends. I regret doing it, now, but I don't think anyone could have convinced me to do otherwise, at the time.

Point being, it is almost certainly a circumstance where a sim owner or admin has just had it with dealing with the same issues over and over again and has decided this is the simplest and easiest way of dealing with it. Not some Cervantes inspired tilt at the windmills of GE and BTB.

Return to “General RP Discussions”