Beyond the gorums

I'd like this forum to...

1. Keep doing that horrible thing: discussing gorean RP, SL, onlineisms, review sims, the books, life-stylers, good RP-ing, roles, etc.
28%
1. Keep doing that horrible thing: discussing gorean RP, SL, onlineisms, review sims, the books, life-stylers, good RP-ing, roles, etc.
28%
2. As above, but then with me and everyone else commenting that discusssing all that is being judgemental, bad, pointless, silly, irrelevant and uncool.
No votes
2. As above, but then with me and everyone else commenting that discusssing all that is being judgemental, bad, pointless, silly, irrelevant and uncool.
No votes
3. stop bothering with gor and instead focus on RL stuff, politics, news, books, shop adverts, flirting, etc. In short, move beyond gor.
2%
3. stop bothering with gor and instead focus on RL stuff, politics, news, books, shop adverts, flirting, etc. In short, move beyond gor.
2%
4. die.
10%
4. die.
10%
5. None of the above
10%
5. None of the above
10%

Total votes: 60
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Re: Beyond the gorums

Postby Aseptimus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 am

Vylixan wrote:hmmm.. Aren't we suppose to have fun here ?

I'm having fun, aren't you?

:pirate: Yarrrr!
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Geary Falconer
SL Name: Geary Falconer

Postby Geary Falconer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:56 am

option 5 from me (of those available, anyway)
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 am

Aseptimus wrote:
Vylixan wrote:hmmm.. Aren't we suppose to have fun here ?

I'm having fun, aren't you?

:pirate: Yarrrr!

Aye. having fun Aye !!
Legion
SL Name: Magadhi bint Alim al-Salah
AkA: Mags

Postby Legion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:00 am

I LIKE COOKIES!
"Man needs as much liberation as woman." - Osho
Crack and Thump
SL Name: 1

Postby Crack and Thump » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 am

I voted number one but that does not include becoming a show host for What Not to Wear, Hair Gone Bad or Pimp My Master's Skin.
grondar Quartz
SL Name: Grondar Quartz
Caste: Clearchus Magistrate
Role: Tarnsman
Home Stone: Treve (always)

Postby grondar Quartz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:39 am

I have always enjoyed Alices posts, usually I agree with her, but in this case i dont see the point of this "poll" its a Groean forum, so what do you expect us to discuss >
"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Alice McConnell
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Postby Alice McConnell » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 am

Linnet:
I didn't vote, my answer isn't listed, and the choices that are read as slanted and soap-boxy to me.

'None of the above' didn't qualify? :o.O:

Alice, in short, many of us don't RP Gor the same was as we did in 2006/2007/2008 or even 2009.
Why would we want to talk about Gor like we did then?

Sita:
Jesus. Really, Alice? Why's this got you all up in arms? Ffs. I'm not clicking your redonkulous poll but I really want to know why it irks you so badly that people don't want to discuss that same onlinism for the eight hundredth time. The forum has matured; it has (gasp) evolved. Please, come with us.

I'll explain. Yes, I get how a lot of the frequent posters on this forums no longer play in gor, or no longer play in gor with the same intensity, take it less seriously, etc. Yes, I get how some, like poking fun instead of taking it seriously. And yes, I get how discussing a topic that has been discussed before, perhaps many times, can get boring. And I do get how those 'more mature' frequent posters might feel that those who bring up a traditional topic like claiming something is an onlineism (James is a good example) or asking about combat meters or black caste organizations are doing something that is somehow less than mature, from their perspective. Or at least, something they can freely joke about.

Yet, when I returned to the forums (even if I wasn't in gor at that point), I did what I always did and took such typical 'gorean-RP' questions seriously, replying to them, even if I had replied to the same question years ago already. Because I thought that part of the purpose of this forum is to provide a platform for such discussion and another part is to help 'educate' people who want to know more about what people with more experience with roleplaying in gor and probably more knowledge about the books might think of something.

So, in my mind, someone bringing up the question of whether femlaws are by the books, for example, should be able to do so, and get a normal response, a response in which people give their view on the topic. Because it is a relevant topic to gorean RP. But if someone were to dare to do that on the forums now, there would be a load of replies of the 'here we go again' 'runs and hides', 'this thread fails'-sort. And then the topic and any serious reply would be burried further by general joking and banter. That person would be lucky not to get insulted.

Sure, you might say that this person should have done a 'search' for an old topic first. But really, that is just not the way this forum works. Threads buried by other threads are pretty much gone. And if he or she would have done a search for a femlaw discussion thread and replied to it, he or she would undoubtedly get flag for 'digging up a dead horse'.

Now, I do get that this forum is now not just a forum for people struggling with or wanting to debate gor RP questions anymore, but also a little community of people who have been posting on it for a while, no longer into the RP discussion thing, bored by it, people just wanting to hang out with others they know here. And I do get that some of them feel that debating the details of a Bosk's legs or RP style or the use of a word is really rather pointless and won't create a better gor in SL (though I do not necessarily agree). But this forum is divided up into many different categories. Some are clearly intended for one thing, others for other things. And even in one subcategory, it is quite easy to pick out the sort of thread you WANT to engage in, and the ones you do not. I don't read every thread here, just the ones that appear potentially interesting to me.

So, as for what got me up in arms (Ffs): it is really similar to the one I made a post about in the gorum suggestions bit a while back (the one about constantly pointing out that Norman is not a great writer): The idea that it would be good for these forums if more of the frequent posters respected the original (and, I think, Ceri's) purpose of/with this place, and did not engage in throttling discussions/threads quite as much.

Maybe you disagree. Maybe such threads are fair game. Maybe the point of this forum is just to banter, snarl, have a laugh, a snooze and share a book recommendation. I cannot argue with that. But if you think there is something to what I say about the purpose of this place still being the 'gor-debate/question answering' and 'educating'-thing, take a step back, have a look at some of the 'traditional' OP's dealing with that sort of topic. Maybe you will see what I see: a lot of them are followed by a lot of posts by frequent posters here, complaining about the thread, ridiculing it, moving it off-topic, snarling at the OP.

So, that is why I included options 2 and 3. No one has voted for them, so far. But from the posting of some of the frequent posters here, I do get the impression that some should have.

But that is just my view.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 am

Alice, if you had written this topic without the pole, and put what you just said...I think you would have gotten a lot more serious listeners instead of just..."Ugh what is she doing again" responses.

The post you wrote on page two makes a lot of sense and has prompted me to write something on the announcement boards everyone needs to read.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:46 am

Ceri's right Alice, your post has excellent points especially about those who bash Norman as a writer or Gor as a genre, but the poll options don't reflect that to me.

Alice McConnell wrote:Linnet:
I didn't vote, my answer isn't listed, and the choices that are read as slanted and soap-boxy to me.

'None of the above' didn't qualify? :o.O:

Not in this case no.

The wording of number one suggested discussing these "horrible" things. I don't think they are horrible, nor do I weigh all those the same. I love to discuss RP, love to discuss the Gor Books, and SL Gor. I do think the "rawr onlinisms/paraposters/meter are evil and ruin my SL" topics aren't productive, as I've found a more tolerant acceptance of such things. I'd like to see more advice on how to handle someone who is using onlinisms that bother you, rather than just more "god I hate that", but that's just me.

Number two doesn't fit because obviously I like to discuss a lot of those things, but it does fit enough that I would like to reserve the right to say that the nitpicking of some people's RP style or choices is judgemental, and to suggest tolerance of styles and beliefs.

Number three, same. Every forum regardless of topic from breast feeding to gor to fixing your car has a general section with these types of things. Often they are quite popular. That doesn't mean it's ALL I want to discuss, but I see the reason it's part of the forums.

Number four. Well... I don't even know what to say there.

Then Number 5, none of the above. I can see why you'd suggest that was an option for me, but as I can relate to at least three answers, it's not really none.

Also in general I just don't think this was a serious poll so I chose not to participate. You are very smart Alice, one of the smartest well spoken women I know, you can argue circles around just about everyone here including me. I think if you wanted an honest sampling of the things people wanted to discuss you could have written a poll with less loaded answers and more choices. You are a better writer than these choices suggest.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 pm

I did respond with "None of the above".

I'm one of the more vocal advocates of doing away with most of the "onlineism" talk. Particularly if it gets silly like "Is 'Aye' an onlineism". Now, in James' defense, English is not his first language but several of the native English speakers were agreeing with the idea. That is ridiculous. It's an archaic version of the word "Yes". Not too archaic, though, as it's still in use in some parts of the world. It's something that should just be let go. That's where my frustrations lie.

Now, there is a place for discussing big questions like: Whether or not Xenas would be tolerated or whether they would be enslaved when they were beaten. There is the example of Tharna, which fell. Obvious, huge things like that. Nit picky bullshit? Not so much. What comes under nit picky bullshit? "Is the word 'Aye' an onlineism?" "Pants, are they allowed?" "Let's all make our avatars 'normal sized'", "Katanas". All four of them are firmly, to me, in the "Who cares?" column of role play. Who cares? They don't detract from the general "Goryness" of role play.

Stop focusing on minutiae and enjoy yourselves for God's sake. You'll get an ulcer.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Return to “Feedback/Help”