RIP Robin Williams

User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:52 am

Ice Bradley wrote:he should probably have used that kindness and applied it to his own family, instead of a random one.


How do you know he didn't?

When someone is clinically depressed, their own brain lies to them. Constantly. Until you really can't shut it out anymore.

When I was suicidal, I honestly believed that taking my own life would make everyone else's life easier. That I was nothing but a fuck up, a screw up, that I was worthless and never should have been born. I believed that. Even though it wasn't true. Even though in taking my own life, I would have broken the lives of those who loved me. I couldn't see that they loved me. I couldn't intellectually understand that I was hurting them.

All I could see were the walls around me and the floor beneath me in a hole so deep I couldn't even see the top. All I could see was that I was alone, despite people constantly reaching out to help me. My vision was so narrowed that I could only see myself, with all of my flaws (real and perceived), all of my failures, all of my mistakes.

That I survived was and is a miracle. That Robin Williams couldn't see how loved and adored he was, that he bought into the lie that his wife and children would be better off without him, is not surprising.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Ice Bradley
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 am
SL Name: Bain Menna
Caste: Red Caste
Role: Warrior
Home Stone: Tarnwald
Owner: Real life
AkA: Ice Bradley

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Ice Bradley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:55 am

Putin comment was only really made to point out how insane it is to celebrate someone who let his family down.

Ill or not its not ok to leave a family behind like that.

Thats the same logic as its ok to kill people if you are insane and dont know what you are doing.

PS remember there are probably more people liking Putin than any western person.
there's those thinking more or less less is more
but if less is more how you're keeping score?
Means for every point you make
your level drops
kinda like its starting from the top
you can't do that...
User avatar
Elle Couerblanc
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am
SL Name: Elle

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

Ice Bradley wrote:Putin comment was only really made to point out how insane it is to celebrate someone who let his family down.

Ill or not its not ok to leave a family behind like that.

Thats the same logic as its ok to kill people if you are insane and dont know what you are doing.

PS remember there are probably more people liking Putin than any western person.


Well as his wife said "Celebrate his life and don't focus on how he died." So we are merely doing what his family has asked us to do. :)

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!! :fryingpan:
Last edited by Elle Couerblanc on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

Ice Bradley wrote:Putin comment was only really made to point out how insane it is to celebrate someone who let his family down.

Ill or not its not ok to leave a family behind like that.

Thats the same logic as its ok to kill people if you are insane and dont know what you are doing.

PS remember there are probably more people liking Putin than any western person.


It's not okay. But he's still gone, and many people loved him - I was one of them. He waged a war his entire life just to stay alive. Instead of condemning him for the one day he lost that fight, why not celebrate him for all the days he won it and kept on going?
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
User avatar
Elle Couerblanc
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am
SL Name: Elle

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:01 am

@Leah Ice won't admit he's wrong so.....time to bring out the rack. YAY Punishment time!!! :lol:
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Ice Bradley
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 am
SL Name: Bain Menna
Caste: Red Caste
Role: Warrior
Home Stone: Tarnwald
Owner: Real life
AkA: Ice Bradley

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Ice Bradley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 am

So im a perfect person for my entire life. Then the last day of my life i go out kill 3 school kids, rape my uncle and shoot myself.

Please celebrate my life not what i did the last day.
there's those thinking more or less less is more
but if less is more how you're keeping score?
Means for every point you make
your level drops
kinda like its starting from the top
you can't do that...
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:04 am

Ice Bradley wrote:So im a perfect person for my entire life. Then the last day of my life i go out kill 3 school kids, rape my uncle and shoot myself.

Please celebrate my life not what i did the last day.


That isn't what happened here. Bless your heart, Ice, please take that straw man argument and shove it where the shone don't shine.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
User avatar
Oor
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Oor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 am

Ice Bradley wrote:Ill or not its not ok to leave a family behind like that.


That's not what you said. You suggested that his entire life, any and all good he did, any and all joy he brought, ought to be erased by the fact that he died of an illness that is terminal in many of the people unlucky enough to get it.

Nobody has said that it's 'okay' that Williams got to a point of emotional (and probably physical) pain that led him to believe he'd be better off not existing at all than living through another moment of it. They expressed sadness that someone they admired was gone and expressed admiration for some of the things he achieved in his life.

It's difficult to describe the absolute, bone-chilling terror of looking at someone you have loved deeply your entire life - your mother, your father, your brother - and feeling nothing. Depression isn't about being ungrateful, it's not about being sad and it's not about being (consciously) selfish. It's an illness just like any other, and it kills.

If you'd watched his body rot from cancer or deteriorate from Parkinson's disease, you wouldn't have seen fit to cast aspersions on his prior character because he died. The rot and deterioration were there - you just couldn't see them, and you are (presumably) lucky enough that you can't understand them. Be grateful for that, and hope that you never can.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
User avatar
Cassie
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:09 am
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Cassie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am

The guy made a lot of good movies I enjoyed so for that I do feel like he was great loss for the entertainment that his characters and voice provided.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
User avatar
Pepper
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:18 am
SL Name: Pepper

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby Pepper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Ice,
I was going to type out a long explanation of what depression is, but Oor really just nailed it. If her post didn't sink in, please read it again.

It's definitely not ok that he killed himself. It is a very selfish thing to do. But he wasn't thinking with his logical, healthy mind. Depression had consumed him, taken over his thoughts and skewed his vision of the world, of himself and of what was best for his family.

Because of that, we forgive him for what he did. He was a very caring, compassion, good person that wrestled with a very ugly demon and lost. That makes his death much worse and a lot more sad than if he had died of old age.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron