SL 2.0

Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Re: SL 2.0

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:40 am

Harlequin wrote:ell, they're keeping SL as long as it financially makes sense.

I was under the impression that right now it doesn't even make financial sense.

Don't underestimate how profitable land sales and monthly tiers are ATM. That is what has kept SL afloat for years even with declining attraction to new users.

I easily clear a profit renting out several sims. People still want their own slice of SL.

I think the reason they are launching this next SL as a totally separate platform is to test out other ways of bringing in revenue without disrupting their existing cash cow.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:24 am

Agreed with Kaitlin. I don't know the numbers, but I would figure that SL must be profitable now and must have been pretty profitable over the past few years. Maybe less than before, but there are a LOT of sims bringing in tier. There must be a lot of profit coming in from people buying and selling Lindens (LL does take a cut through the conversion rates, clearly). There must be a steady stream of income from people uploading pictures and such.

And the costs? They slimmed down in the past. It isn't a huge company, people wise, and I guess salary & health insurance must comprise their chief costs. Then there is the servers, which I am sure they must have found a pretty good deal for, over the years (or do they maintain those themselves? No idea). If SL wasn't profitable, it would have shut down a long while ago. I suspect it became profitable sometime after the hype was over and they laid a good many people off.

If they got new investment money to develop SL 2 over the next few years, I guess they are expecting to make a loss again for a while, hoping to attract many new people, then lay some of the devs for the new version off again (or just let them move on) and 'reaping' some profitable years again.

As for those funny glasses: I think that stuff is a hype, at the moment. I am sure that that technology will be around sometime soon, but my guess is that most people will probably be content with the level of 'being in there' offered by a normal screen and mouse/keyboard, for a good while yet. I won't blame LL for riding the hype, though.
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 am

Courgan Barzane wrote:Extra viewers are nice and fine, but less important.

The question is rather: is all money you spent on materials, clothes, items, etc. lost or not? If all is lost, you will see a big loss of trust in both platforms, old and new, which will doom the new platform right from start for all who invested heavily in stuff for buidling/playing/outfitting.

"The next generation virtual world will go far beyond what is possible with Second Life, and we don't want to constrain our development by setting backward compatibility with Second Life as an absolute requirement from the start. That doesn’t mean you necessarily won’t be able to bring parts of your Second Life over, just that our priority in building the next generation platform is to create an incredible experience and enable stunningly high-quality creativity, rather than ensuring that everything could work seamlessly with everything created over Second Life’s 11 year history."

Source: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/06/linden ... ife-2.html

It's not going to doom anything. Content creators will continue to make products for SL while working on making new ones in HF until they finally shut SL down. You can pretty much bank on the fact that your SL inventory and money will have no chance in hell of seeing the inside of HF tho.
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 pm

After reading that link, it doesn't even sound to me like it's really going to be a SL 2.0 at all. It sounds like more like a completely new virtual world. In that case, it would be pretty obvious that you wouldn't move your inventory over.

Though my inventory is certainly dated, there are some things I would really hate to lose. If SL ever goes down then so be it, but as long as it's up and I'm still using SL, I'd like to hold on to a few key things. You'd be amazed at the stuff people still like to wear and use from 2007. ;)
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:31 am

I don't think something like SL will be shut down for a long, long time. People have too much invested.

The original Everquest is still going strong 16 years later, despite Everquest II and with Everquest Next in development.
Eve Cartier
SL Name: Eve Cartier
Caste: Merchant
Role: Stoic Reminder

Postby Eve Cartier » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:33 am

I don't care what you say. If I can't bring my textures with me there will be real tears.

And yes, I know you can save textures to your own hard drive and possibly reload them on the other side. But doing that with 9,000+ textures is another whole reason for real tears.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 am

I dunno!

I made a bunch of animations. I've been making good money with them. Now you're telling me that you're going to split my market.

Meh? And better than that, I'll need to go and find scripts for an AO. Will we even need AOs? Bah.

I don't think I'd swap. It would have to be pretty terrific for me to bother. I'm on SL still because of the friends I've made. Thats why I keep coming back. How many will swap to the new SL? How many will reject it?

After seeing the newest SL viewers, I honestly don't have much faith in their designs. Open source viewers were a HUGE boost for me when I found them. They just opened up so many options now that we treat as obvious things we always needed. Open source viewers added a great deal of innovation to what we currently have now.

But! I will try it.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:11 am

Of course, there are going to be those that have invested heavily in some aspect of SL (animations, textures or whatever) that may have legitimate issue if a new version were to replace old SL (which would be constituted by most people moving to the new platform, I guess). That is a shame for them, but it is the risk of doing 'business' in new and changing markets. You just build a state-of-the-art windmill, and now they are introducing steam-engines? That sucks, but shit happens.

However, for the vast majority of us, SL 'consumers', the loss of most of their inventory isn't really the drama some make it out to be, if you ask me. 90% isn't getting used anyway and is probably past it's expiration date.

I agree that it would be a shame if open-viewer dev. was not allowed for this SL 2. Especially since the LL viewer attempts after 1.0 were so misguided. But if they are smart about it, they will allow for plenty of avenues that creative IT types might make use of, one way or another. I think they do understand that stuff.
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Yea. Its not an easy thing to translate.

Will people even follow to the new SL? I dunno.

I honestly can't even use the new viewers they've gone with.

The changes would have to be pretty impressive to get people to swap. Especially if they're letting the old SL run as it is.

I dont quite understand how SL isn't making money. Every time I transfer cash out of my account, as a content creator, I have money scraped off the top. I have money taken away to pay for a paypal transfer. I have to pay rent. Then I support other vendors who also pay rent and tier. I'd like to know what their costs are for running the system. We have other worlds set up that have higher prim limits and half the cost of tier or less.

This just seems like a huge unnecessary risk on their part. Not to create SL 2.0 - but the PR and presentation of how its going to work.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 am

I think that the viewers they did (after 1.0) were informed by the mistaken idea that SL was a social media platform, just like facebook, twitter, and so forth. They were trying to jump the web 2.0 bandwagon. They forgot that SL while the whole 2.0 thing was about people taking their real lives onto some accessible digital platform, SL tends to do the reverse for most people (as in: offer an escapist experience where people can be creative, play with outfits, gender, role-play and so forth in a way that has no connection to their real live persona, in a 3D world that is anything but easily accessible).

From what I have read, that new Scandinavian CEO does understand that SL is not facebook. And if the new investment is riding a bandwagon, it does seem to be the bandwagon of 3D virtual worlds that gained traction again because of those funny glasses. And that makes a whole lot more sense.

I don't think it would be that hard for them to tempt people to move on to the new platform. If that platform is fast, relatively lag-free (a new design should make that possible), has plenty of new features and IF they ensure that the default (free) content they provide looks relatively pretty (I mean stuff like the newbie avatars and the default trees, houses and general clutter and such, which they have been offering within the old SL for a long time as well), then the SL will look visually pleasing enough to tempt people to give it a try.

As I see it, one of the problems of the current SL is that most of it is pretty ugly. It doesn't need to be, and there are sims and avatars out there that look as good as anything you find in a AAA video game, but most of SL looks quite dated. You have to scout around to find the good stuff. And most casual visitors only see the fugly bits.

As for making money... who says SL isn't making money at the moment? I am pretty sure they are, for all the reasons you mention.

Return to “General”