SL 2.0

Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Re: SL 2.0

Postby Theoden » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Wait what? Can you copy and paste where it says we won't be able to use the old SL anymore? Cause from what I've read, the old SL and the new SL are running parallel. That means if you don't like the new SL, the old SL still runs. That's what it said from a letter from a Linden I read like a couple days ago.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:21 pm

Theoden is right. Both will remain playable for the foreseeable future. The linden goal is to make the new SL such an attractive platform people willingly switch over. I'm sure content creators will be the first since I suspect more focus will be put on them in the future rather than just land sales.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:21 pm

Both platforms will be open, it would not be smart of them but LL stated they will no perform any more updates for SL 1 and obviously the purpose is that people will move from one world to the other at their own pace.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 am

Kaitlin wrote:Theoden is right. Both will remain playable for the foreseeable future. The linden goal is to make the new SL such an attractive platform people willingly switch over. I'm sure content creators will be the first since I suspect more focus will be put on them in the future rather than just land sales.

This makes much more sense than just deleting our inventory, wiping out SL 1.0 and telling us we have to switch and start over. I am very curious to see how the SL 2.0 version plays.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:44 am

As Harlequin said, about fucking time!!! (paraphrasing)

It is silly that it took the occulus rift hype for the herd animals called investors to get interested again, but I am glad they did. I quite agree with the new Scandinavian CEO. I think that it was high time that development on a second life the second began. I am pretty sure that it can indeed make leaps if it gets rid of the shackles of it's legacy coding.

And I am sorry, but I am completely insensitive to all the worries about lost inventory and property in SL 1. What did people expect when they bought that 6000 linden sexbed? That they would still get mileage out of it in 2029? So, you still have that collection of layer outfits from 2007 which you paid quite a bit for. Are you still wearing them? So, you have 100 bows in your inventory? Are you shooting them, or are you only using the bow you bought 6 months ago? When you buy things in a virtual world, those things are going to become obsolete soon. Because the rules get changed, because something better comes along, because the virtual world is replaced by another one to which everyone moves. It happens to most things in RL. Your car, your laptop, your TV. And virtual 'possessions' are more like fast moving consumer goods than any of those. Most of them will spoil within a few years. Enjoy them for a while, then forget them. If you didn't get that at the time, you were being very naive.

To me the guy I heard in that meeting, complaining about the 10.000 dollars he put into his SL inventory, which would stop him from moving over to a new second life is a complete and utter moron.

Of course, it would be nice if they gave long time SL users some perks when they come out with a new version of SL. Keeping names and friend lists and such would be cool. Being able to transfer notecards, textures and such should be doable for them as well, if the user has mod rights. As someone said, perhaps they will want to do that for things that people do not have mod rights for as well (as someone noted a while ago, one of the latest ToS changes seems aimed to give LL the right to do that, one of the things that people were crying out about, but which, for the average user, would be a pretty good thing). If they break free from the legacy constraints, things like prims (and I am guessing mesh) will not be carried over. But hey... the content creators still have their assets. They will simply update their content and offer it for sale again. So... just consider it an upgrade that you have to pay for. Things in SL are not really THAT expensive for most people living in the Western World.

Another concern would be land/sim-owners. I am sure they will come up with some sort of a deal for those that own (rather than rent) land in SL today. They want to keep those people happy (and paying), so I bet there will be a deal like: exchanging the SL 1 sim for a SL 2 sim, mostly free of charge.

For those that consider their property of SL land as an 'investment' (which I never thought was especially smart), something like that would probably be a pretty good thing. If SL 1 was just left to decline and die, slowly, the value of that land would drop to zero, anyway, sooner or later. With the possibility of a 'second life' for Second Life, that value might remain stable.

As for the complaints about the new SL not being 'open source'... I think that those thoughts are naive. LL is a company. SL wasn't open-source from the start. LL can only make it open source if they know that their grid (and money sources) are going to dominate the thing they are developing. They can't invest heavily in code and offer it to others to copy and try to make their own competing grid, as was sometimes tried (unsuccessfully I think) by alternative grids. I am guessing that they will find a way to enable those that were nice enough to make cool viewers for our use to contribute some other way.

So, for me, this news is one big positive.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Yea that! to Harlekin and Glaucon :)
I got a ton of useless stuff i have collected through the years. There is hardly any order in the mess at all. I spend thousands of lindens on it and most of it is hopelessly outdated in SL now. One thing i learned from being creator in SL is to NOT get too attached to your stuff because you ARE going to loose it at some point. Shrugs - i am looking forward to a new updated world to play in. As long as we can still create and meet friends and roleplay, i'll be good.

I am very curious as to how the creating will be done there. Will it be completely new skills we need? I suppose not if its still mesh in some form we are doing :) It will be exciting to explore!
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:03 pm

@Theo - The Lab says it will keep Second Life open as long as it financially makes sense.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Check out a couple of blogs that have been covering the news on this issue:

http://blog.nalates.net/

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/

According to Ebbe:

SL is not going away.
There will still be development, updates, etc. done on SL.
They are looking into things like transferring names, avatars, inventory, etc. into the new virtual world but there's no guarantees and we won't likely get to transfer everything but may get to transfer some things.

Otherwise, too early to tell. But the gist of it is- SL is not going away, don't freak, y'all. :fleeflee:
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:56 pm

ell, they're keeping SL as long as it financially makes sense.

I was under the impression that right now it doesn't even make financial sense.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:26 am

I was under the impression the downfall in sim purchases had somehow started this. Though last time I checked there was a small rise perhaps due to the faith led by the new CEO coming in the picture.

Oculs Rifts seems interesting, roleplay wise not sure as this means we would have to voice... so long to long monologues.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.

Return to “General”