SL 2.0

Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

SL 2.0

Postby Cassie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:02 pm

I am sure a lot of people heard about LL new SL 2.0 project

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/06/linden ... .html#more

http://gorfail.com/?p=2934

For many this is a welcome and much needed change to a system that just can't keep up anymore to others this could be surely a goodbye.

Anyone else has followed this or have an opinion on the matter?
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Re: SL 2.0

Postby Harlequin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:47 am

Thank GOD. It's way past time. They've been so busy trying to just layer more crap onto the flawed basic SL,in order to keep people happy that they've held their development back.

Jumping to a completely new engine and also not making backwards compatibility is a wonderful step forward.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Cassie

Postby Cassie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:55 am

Of course many are super concerned for the lack of third party viewers option and well... the inevitable waste of their inventory.

But yes, much needed and most welcome. Hopefully they will implement a way to set a combat meter or maybe even one of their own for all those roleplayers out there.

They do plan to keep SL 1 open for a good period, a good idea as people transition from one place to the other and the inventory becomes slowly obsolete on its own.
Courgan Barzane
SL Name: Courgan Barzane
Caste: Red Caste
Home Stone: Cardonicus

Postby Courgan Barzane » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:23 am

Extra viewers are nice and fine, but less important.

The question is rather: is all money you spent on materials, clothes, items, etc. lost or not? If all is lost, you will see a big loss of trust in both platforms, old and new, which will doom the new platform right from start for all who invested heavily in stuff for buidling/playing/outfitting.
JackoS
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Postby JackoS » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am

Courgane has probably nailed it to the main problem. Yes a lot of us want a new and better sl. Yes, anything that improves the experience is great.

However, the problem is what about inventories, characters, equipments, etc... Some people have spent a lot of money, and time and effort in their characters. Yes it is true that all this was a lease, that it could end at any time, and this is a better option than LL going bankrupt and SL closing with no alternative.

However, the transition might be a time of chaos and trial, while all of us adjust to the new system. And the new rules, the new meter, and while clothes, textures and skins are created. Our avatars as they are today, were not created overnight. Some are an evolution of years, trial and error, opinions and help from friends, etc... On day one of SL 2.0 we will all be noobs, and look like (and I am sure Anarch will love this) horrible prim haired noobs. :mrgreen:

But all in all, I think we will all survive and be fine
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Might revitalize interest in things. I would be interested in seeing if they do away with LSL as their scripting language and move entirely to Mono.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm not sure that I'm understanding this right. So our accounts will remain, but our inventory won't? And we'll have no option of staying with SL 1.0 and our 7 years of inventory? Won't that wipe out every single designer and creator in SL?
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:14 pm

As I read it, yes.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Dayum...
Cassie

Postby Cassie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Too be honest a lot of thing have not been shared yet and the idea many share is that designers will simply have to move to the new grid implementing the new system into their creations.

Smart creators might be willing to give people the chance to have both the item in SL 1 and in SL 2, whatever the verification process requires, and while I doubt mesh will not be used I am sure prims will not coming back.

There is still a lot we don't know and is a lot of assumptions.

Return to “General”