So... it's been a year.

Melisande
SL Name: Melisande
Caste: Warrior
Role: Ubara
Home Stone: Ar

So... it's been a year.

Postby Melisande » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 am

As per my (almost) last post, around this time last year I moved to the Miami area and took a position to work and live on a campus that had restricted internet, etc. Second Life was one of those things that was blocked. I decided I would be fine without SL, especially since it is somewhat expensive to live in this area anyway.

In the meantime, I have picked up other hobbies. I've gotten seriously back into making music and have attended more festivals and local cultural events than I can remember. I've gone several times to the opera (which is three miles away rather than 800 miles away). And I am making a serious study of Spanish, which is one of the most rewarding things I've done lately. I have also learned how to drive on I-95 without having a nervous breakdown in the middle of "the season."

Yesterday, I finally got clearance to have my own internet installed and was able to successfully log in. I recognized no one. Everyone on my friend's list has a profile that says something like, "I'm no longer on SL, so leave me a message" and that kind of thing.

So, for the few of you who are left, where do you go to roleplay? Where are the places to avoid? Where would I go for good paragraph roleplay? Where would I go for a good, small community feel? Where are places looking for good Free Women type roles? Do they still do that Free Woman thing in Gor nowadays? ;)
Esse quam videri - To be rather than appear to be.
Hephaesteon
SL Name: Hephaesteon Resident
Caste: Scribe
Role: Codger
Home Stone: Ar.

Re: So... it's been a year.

Postby Hephaesteon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 am

Welcome back, Melisande!

In terms of Gorean para RP, the only sim that's really para and story-oriented right now seems to be Mjolnir, a Torvaldsland village; I've had great rp there the few times I've visited, and the build is very well done (something you'd expect from an Okami build).

I know Lydius was popular for a little while but he last few times I've been there it's seemed to be a ghost town. I have a friend rping in Ayr, but again - the few times I've been there recently it's been quiet, though I'm told when it's active the rp is para and very good.

If you're looking to branch out, there are a few other sims in different genres that are pretty active right now. King's Landing, the original (of the recent round, anyway) and still the best (in my opinion ;)) of the Game of Thrones sims is still very active and beautifully built. Blackwater Bay, which was started a few months ago, seems decently active (though I've found the build a little generic tudor and I'm an unabashed build snob) and is also Game of Thrones-based. Both, from what I'm aware, skew para more often than not. There isn't really another viable medieval sim unless you're wanting to branch into the heavy fantasy stuff, in which case Mystara is still active and has arguably the best medi-fantasy build available now (and has for years, though... it also has the laggiest builds, I've found). I tend not to encounter a lot of serious or darker rp there, but again, your mileage may vary (and to be fair, I haven't even peeked in in months).

For futuristic RP, you might want to try Remnants of Earth - I've had more than one person try to drag me out to rp there, and apparently the rp is very good. If you visited Age of Ruin when you were last in SL you'll recognize most of the build as from the same creator, I think - I'm not sure if the sim is *run* by the same people as AoR was, but it definitely has the same visual aesthetic. I do see a bunch of for-pay junk in the landing zone which I think AoR had so... I'd guess yes, it's still the same people.

Hm. What else? 1920's Berlin is still active, I think, and today they're having "Relaxed Dresscode Day" so you don't need to have the attire of the sim to go check it out (and maybe RP? I'm not really sure).

If you like vampire rp there's not... much out there now in the way of full sims - the only ones I'm aware of are Port of Deception, which is quiet (or empty) every time I go (and just started allowing furries :roll: ) and Terra Novus, which from the limited times I've poked around seems to be steampunk fantasy mix (vampires, mermaids, werewolves, fae, etc.) - but that's been quiet (1-5 players) or empty most times I've gone, too. The most active vampire sim I've been in lately has actually been New Marshall by Night, which is a WoD mixed sim (they do werewolves, vampires, and mages I believe) - they're pretty active in the evenings, usually between 12-20 people on (quite a good showing considering they're a homestead). Venice Eternal will open in a couple of weeks but... doesn't do much for you at the moment.

...yeah that ended up being longer than I expected. Anyway, good luck!
And that was that.
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Postby Theoden » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah... what Heph said, from what I can gather keeping an eye on SL Gor and GoT.

But yeah, I'm one of those not roleplaying anymore. Though I do go on to socialize OOC though :)
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:57 am

I have been in Mjolnir but to be fair I am not as much into RP as before. I do enjoy a border line GE/BTB group but I enjoy more talking to people OOC.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Arwyn Quandry
SL Name: Arwyn Quandry
Role: Slave
Home Stone: Imperial Ar
Owner: Darby Dollinger

Postby Arwyn Quandry » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:26 pm

I haven't been in Gor for quite a while (see my last storyline post). Right now I'm wrapped up in Godswar: The Hundred, an urban semi-fantasy sim. If you'd ever heard of New Babylon or Lost Vegas, this one is in the same storyline as that, except set fifty years in the past from NB. Instead of having already decided Gods and creatures, players are able to be the Gods and fight each other. There's an extensive character creation system, permadeaths, dice combat, leveling and pretty kickass powers. It's worth a look.
Escapee
SL Name: elzbieta balfour
Caste: gone
Home Stone: gone
AkA: Hollie

Postby Escapee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Melisande, welcome back! I have such fond memories of Imperial Ar when you were there.

What Heph said. I've been playing in Mjolnir, and I've found some wonderful roleplay. Get your Torvie on!

If you're looking outside Gor, there's Vieux Carre (at least I think it's still active and my spelling is correct) and my favorite, Godswar: the Hundred.
it was
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 pm

If you don't want to be a torvie, you really don't have any options in gor for the sort of RP you're looking for.
Bree
SL Name: Bree Quingly
Role: Annoyance

Postby Bree » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Welcome back Mel!!! :wave:

And thanks for the awesome list, Heph! I'm so keeping that for one of those "where can I can go exploring" nights.

Now... if only -someone- would open Ar again....
"Everything is true. God's an Astronaut. Oz is Over the Rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live." - Peloquin
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:45 am

SL Gor could really use a new southern sim run by a new set of owners to the scene. One that's not run by a ball leashed boy and his rabid spacecookie girlfriend would help too.
Bree
SL Name: Bree Quingly
Role: Annoyance

Postby Bree » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:38 am

Torolf Fenrirson wrote:SL Gor could really use a new southern sim run by a new set of owners to the scene. One that's not run by a ball leashed boy and his rabid spacecookie girlfriend would help too.

Agreed! They also need grown up individuals instead of passive aggressive name calling douchebags.

And if wishes were horses we could all go riding!
"Everything is true. God's an Astronaut. Oz is Over the Rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live." - Peloquin

Return to “General”