PRETTY, UP TO DATE Gor Sims???

Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: PRETTY, UP TO DATE Gor Sims???

Postby Oor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:53 am

Bassim wrote:It's the equivalent of expecting slaves to RP out their chores, rather than assuming it done if they wanted to.

I don't think it is, necessarily.

People often expect slaves to notecard chores because they're blurring the lines and confuse making sure that the player is "busy" and "productive" with making sure the slave is busy and productive.

They want to give the physician or the scribe "something to do" because, for many people, having proscribed actions to perform in RP is the limit of their imagination or RP skill.

But there are situations in which a notecard will be useful for future RP, and where it will behoove us, in the course of collaborative story-telling, to use them. Census information, for example, could lead to lots of different RP avenues. Tax collection, ration control, investigation or other GM controlled plots. For a people collating widespread information (like that a census would provide) those notecards can be useful and productive. It takes a couple of minutes in many cases. Often less time that contextualising the same information in a post would, at any rate. And if everyone in a sim is prepared to put that bit of effort into contributing to potential future plots, except one guy who's all "HOW DARE YOU GRIEF ME!!", then I think the sim management are well within their rights to consider that player might not be the best fit for their sim.

Of course, with equally strong conviction, I think we each have a right to decline to play on sims where we don't like the fact that we've been asked to invest 5 minutes in filling out a form.

I just don't think it's black and white, that's all. There are some grey areas, and often (IMO) the best RP sims have a little grey, and are managed in such a way that everyone is on board, understand they're being asked to invest a little OOC time to aid each other's (or the sim's) IC stories, and don't mind.

It's a semantic argument really. I think we largely agree and I'm as (if not more) likely as anyone to tell someone who asks me to NC cooking eggs by myself to go eat a bag of dirty dicks, but I still don't think that notecards - even required ones - are ALWAYS bad, griefing or blurring the lines of IC/OOC.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Bassim
SL Name: Cookie

Postby Bassim » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:25 am

Ugh. Oh no. Not the Census. The dreaded Census, where notices get sent out by angry scribes 'fill out this census!', and no one does it, and another notice gets put out 'fill out the Census or XYZ consequences in RP!' and no one does it, and then another notice...

I have better things to spend my time filling out NCs just so some scribe can dock it in a prim cabinet. I can see the value of an IC directory of sorts, to find certain roles and players to advance your storyline, but any admin can create that easily with just names and roles. I have yet to see a long labored Census of detailed information actually be used to provide decent storylines.

But, we'll have to agree to disagree Oor. You are right, in that the fit of the player wouldn't belong in a sim that requires you to do, in my opinion, non-RP things beyond the initial sim application. Indeed, maybe the player should find a better fit. Which is why I'm saying goodbye to a certain sim and going to check out Turia and Ar.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:15 am

Bassim wrote:Ugh. Oh no. Not the Census. The dreaded Census, where notices get sent out by angry scribes 'fill out this census!', and no one does it, and another notice gets put out 'fill out the Census or XYZ consequences in RP!' and no one does it, and then another notice...

Sure. I didn't say that every census ever conducted in SL Gor was perfect. Just that such a thing has potential to lead to good RP, and if you're THAT GUY who's spending an hour in an admin's IM bitching about it instead of the 2 minutes it takes to fill it, it might be worth considering that there might just be value to it - if not for you personally and your story, then for others.

Bassim wrote:I have yet to see a long labored Census of detailed information actually be used to provide decent storylines.

I get hit with things I've yet to see all the time in RP. It's what keeps me coming back.

Bassim wrote:But, we'll have to agree to disagree Oor.

You know I'm the most obstinate motherfucker here, right? :P

Bassim wrote:Which is why I'm saying goodbye to a certain sim and going to check out Turia and Ar.

I saw a notice that Ar's GE "trial period" (read: failed experiment everyone knew wouldn't work) has ended and they're sticking with BTB. So that's something. Turia build rocks.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 pm

I remember when Treve did a census once...they required all the Free Women to see the physicians to be examined...they were checking for "secret slaves" I guess.

I forget how much this one woman paid us not to mention her brand. :wave:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Bassim
SL Name: Cookie

Postby Bassim » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:58 pm

I stayed around in Temos just for a bit longer to see the opening day. A lot of people, as is usual for opening day. Unfortunately, majority were flexi-noobs and one liners. I suppose Temos is the new Rorus or Sais :lol:
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Flexi-noobs fascinate me. I wonder how they manage to stay so out of touch that they don't know what mesh is. They actually make me smile, like an exhibit in a museum or something. I get all nostalgic remembering when I first came to SL and Girl 6 flexi hair was the shit, and flexi silks from Angelwing were like "oooh, so pretty!" and I felt so gawgeous in my Laqroki skin I saved up for months for. Happy memories. :lol:
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:Flexi-noobs fascinate me. I wonder how they manage to stay so out of touch that they don't know what mesh is. They actually make me smile, like an exhibit in a museum or something. I get all nostalgic remembering when I first came to SL and Girl 6 flexi hair was the shit, and flexi silks from Angelwing were like "oooh, so pretty!" and I felt so gawgeous in my Laqroki skin I saved up for months for. Happy memories. :lol:

Oh man, Angelwing...I think I still have some of their silks in my invventory. o_o
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Maeon
SL Name: Maeon (Alogical)
Caste: Scribes
Role: Scholar & Writer
Home Stone: Ar, residing in Turia

Postby Maeon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:51 am

Nope, I stand on my first assessment. Temos did disappoint: uniformed textures all over, predictable city planning with reminiscent corners of Ar, all gates closed and scripted with pop-up menu, avatars looking extremely outdated. In fact, I wonder why Gor has such a base of avatars so outdated. Only some slave girl players, a handful of fashion addict free women and a random male character have good looks, though there is the long hair androgynous homogeneity. Yeah, yeah, not the first thing to look for in a rp venue...but damn counts.

Port Kar. Tried it again...and yes, I keep my 2006 assessment.

Ar is a very nice build and I am insisting there for now.
I will check on Turia next. But the heat, oh god the heat.
Arica
SL Name: Arica Storaro
AkA: Frevet

Postby Arica » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:26 am

Turia looks pretty neat in my book. Confusing, but interesting mix of styles. :)
Check out my blog! :D http://thebloggingelf.com/
Maeon
SL Name: Maeon (Alogical)
Caste: Scribes
Role: Scholar & Writer
Home Stone: Ar, residing in Turia

Postby Maeon » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:40 pm

I thought it was confusing too but felt that was a good thing. The diversity of styles made it feel more realistic too

Return to “General”