What made you Unhappy today?

Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: What made you Unhappy today?

Postby Leah » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:16 am

People who bring my RL gender into things I post about on a gaming forum. When I have never mentioned my RL gender in anything that I was posting with.

It really is no one's business whether I'm a guy, a girl, a futa, or even a goddamned tentacle monster when I'm posting about a game. My words on those forums have absolutely nothing to do with being a woman, and I neither expect nor demand preferential treatment or any kind of "exception" made for me due to my RL gender. I would rather it didn't come up at all. People really need to pike off and stop being harassing little cunts because they found out somewhere else that I'm female IRL.

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :soapbox: :beyondpissed:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 am

Oh, this one. :)

Yes, there is a very odd attitude in some gaming communities about female gamers, especially among hardcore gamers (from male gamers). For some, a girl is still something of an oddity, and they will drool and white-knight over her. Some will always assume that female gamer is a guy like them, pretending to be a girl because of the 'special treatment' they will get from the first group, or, if she isn't, assume she expects special treatment all the same, which they will resent. Some are probably so young that they are still in the 'girls are stupid'-stage of life. Some are old and bitter (possibly after a bad divorce) and generally misogynistic. Lots have low self-esteem issues. Somehow, that makes anyone saying they are a woman in real life or even not saying that but being 'outed' as one a freaky attention-seeking whore to some of these hard-core gamers.

This forum may not always be nice, but, compared to most of the 'gaming community' it really is a very civilized and mature place. It probably helps that some here have actually 'seen' a woman up close, even those that don't see one when they look in a mirror.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

In fairness to the boys, the biggest issues and drama bubbles I had during all of my time leading a relatively successful raiding guild centred, almost invariably, around women. They expected special treatment, they bitched and pissed and moaned more than anyone else, they took offense when I told them to buck up and stop being shit, they cried when I swapped them out for the sake of fairness, they created drama between guilds and on forums (WoW and guild) and they generally expected to be given a pass on shit play during raids with a giggle or a whine.

That was the vast majority of women I played with over a period of maybe 6 years. While the good ones were VERY good, I can count them on one hand.

Combine that with the rhetoric that's build up around gaming in recent years - with people like Anita Sarkeesian pretending to be 'gamer girls' in order to raise over $150,000 to support what basically amounts to an attack on gaming culture, for no reason other than to further her own academic career in feminism - and you have a recipe for bitterness.

The only response to it is to not be one of those types (which I'm sure you're not) and ignore people who seek to tar you with the brush that your fellow female gamers have unfortunately tainted.

I agree though. It can be frustrating.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Oor wrote:The only response to it is to not be one of those types (which I'm sure you're not) and ignore people who seek to tar you with the brush that your fellow female gamers have unfortunately tainted.

Oor,

To summarize that, seems that there is a bitterness towards women in gaming because their game is drama-laden for the most part.

But from this statement you bring hope for us guys.

You are not one of those types.... and... you got a nice ass.

;)

Be happy with that.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Oor wrote:In fairness to the boys, the biggest issues and drama bubbles I had during all of my time leading a relatively successful raiding guild centred, almost invariably, around women. They expected special treatment, they bitched and pissed and moaned more than anyone else, they took offense when I told them to buck up and stop being shit, they cried when I swapped them out for the sake of fairness, they created drama between guilds and on forums (WoW and guild) and they generally expected to be given a pass on shit play during raids with a giggle or a whine.

This little bit serves as a nice example of the odd attitude I mentioned above. Women expecting special treatment (like, perhaps, not being called a 'cunt' all the time), being lazy (actually playing the game in order to have fun instead of to win) and not playing by the rules of the online power-struggle called 'clans'/'guilds'. And, not yet mentioned, some of them actually flirting with the boys, leading to all sorts of anger all around.

That was the vast majority of women I played with over a period of maybe 6 years. While the good ones were VERY good, I can count them on one hand.

As usual, the exceptions clearly do not pose any reason not to insist on all-out prejudice.

Combine that with the rhetoric that's build up around gaming in recent years - with people like Anita Sarkeesian pretending to be 'gamer girls' in order to raise over $150,000 to support what basically amounts to an attack on gaming culture, for no reason other than to further her own academic career in feminism - and you have a recipe for bitterness.

Not sure if many gamers have ever heard of her. But clearly, she says the things she says because it will 'further her feminist career'. No possibility of her actually believing them.

The only response to it is to not be one of those types (which I'm sure you're not) and ignore people who seek to tar you with the brush that your fellow female gamers have unfortunately tainted.

It is not the fault of the gamers that treat you weirdly because of some really silly prejudice. The gamers are right to have this prejudice. It is the fault of those women! And the (ex)-wives too.

This sort of logic is why some people are prejudiced against prejudice.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Hawt Sommer wrote:Be happy with that.

The hope, or the nice ass?

Also, this is the UNhappy thread. Stop trying to make me offtopic!
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am

Jet lag :pissed: :sick: :beyondpissed:
I don't have time for this with such a short assessment period.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:10 am

Oor wrote:I agree though. It can be frustrating.

It's another female (well, according to the poster, anyway). And I think that's what bugs me the most - she's trying to claim that because she is female, she is qualified to judge me, and that everyone should listen to her because she's female and I'm making her and "all other girl gamers look bad."

Because she disagrees with what I'm saying. Because apparently if you disagree with someone, you must be "hysterical." I just...

It's very irksome. But I told her that if she continues to bring my RL gender into the conversation, I will report her for harassment. So we'll see where this goes.

P.S. I agree with the thing about Sarkeesian. Sadly, she actually makes some good points. But she makes so many bad points that they outweigh the good ones.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
beth ronmark
SL Name: Liz Shim
Caste: Torvie
Role: Lurking on Occassion
Home Stone: Hrafnvik
AkA: Relia Blue Tooth

Postby beth ronmark » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:12 am

To find out that is warmer in Alaska than where I live today :(
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 am

Leah wrote:P.S. I agree with the thing about Sarkeesian. Sadly, she actually makes some good points. But she makes so many bad points that they outweigh the good ones.

Never heard of her, until Oor brought her up. Though I have heard of 'feminist criticism' about games that would have come from the likes of her.

Checked out what she was about through youtube. What struck me most is the 100 video's about how she is a total bitch, a fraud, a liar, a faker, and generally a cunt, made by what are obviously total morons.

You get guys (all guys, as far as I could see) go make a youtube video quoting Sarkeesian saying something... wait for it... WRONG. Like not correctly naming the purple monster at the end of level 37 of Mario Super Bro Zelda thingy. Or something else. They are furious about her 'attack on games' (about them being sexist, generally), but loads of those 'gamer-made' vids show copious amounts of retardedness and sexism, proving her point.

Of course, her point isn't all that interesting. Just as most of the intellectual babble coming from 'feminist theorists' isn't all that deep or interesting. It is mostly stating the obvious mixed in with pseudo-scientific (it is about as scientific as theology) dithering about what is wrong (not feminist enough) about modern culture. But of course, some of the points she makes are perfectly valid (if obvious). Which doesn't stop these retarded gamers from angrily contesting them.

One of the things that irks me about what I have seen of this 'feminist perspective' on gaming is that it couples a legitimate complaint about a lack of female player-characters/protagonists with the demand that these characters should be 'strong women' and not 'sex objects'. Ones that kick ass, are aggressive, not passive, defy gender-roles, while definitely not looking like a male adolescent fantasy. A kind of GE-player without the high heels and sexy outfits. A unisex character that happens to be female.

I compare that 'demand' to what I notice within SL (not to mention Gor), which actually HAS a lot of female players: most women apparently being quite happy to play a character that is NOT strong in the sense they want, that doesn't go about 'kicking-ass' all the time, but more interested in playing a 'feminine' character, with all the cultural (and role-affirming) trappings that come with that. If they are anything to go by, then it seems that women are NOT eager for the feminist theorist 'ideal' female player-characters. It would appear that the kind of protagonist in games they would like to see would be what the feminists would feel was a horrible role-stereotype affirming one.

Of course, maybe these players in SL are just not sufficiently 'liberated'. Perhaps they should join some gender-studies class for re-education.

Anyway, maybe the likes of Sarkeesian are not all that bright. But any stupidity there is trumped by Oor's friends among the 'gaming community'.

Return to “General”